Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you'll emmigrate?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

I have always planned to (recession or no recession), and I'll probably head to England straight after college, spend 5-10 years there, and then possibly move further afield to Australia or maybe Canada. I'd love to live in the USA but it's unlikely I'll ever get the chance to move there permanently.

So, will you emigrate?

Poll added. :cool:

Do you think you'll emmigrate? 51 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    66%
    Cavehill RedPigwidgeonfinnmcoolmarko93GSFshanec1928LoonyLovegoodpajorNemanja91Slow ShowJunco Partnerchris_john_laneSarahBeep!Joey.anirishladwnolan1992MauraTheThirdCherry Blossom GirlJhaxHandsomeDivil 34 votes
    Undecided
    21%
    clickhereCian92unknown13pogsicksuitcasepinkBobbyPropaneGet RealMadconLenin Skynardmadmax79Noccy_Mondy 11 votes
    Whatever I feel like, GOSH!!
    11%
    wordedStereomaniacalleystarSparkySpitfiretr0llfaceMickFleetwood 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

No, I might emigrate though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

No
    Yup, start a teaching job in England next friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

No
    Aye, two more years saving to go back to college, four years there and then it's off to Canada right quick got some family over there probably head to them

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

No
    I've always planned to emigrate eventually as well. The recession and closure of a few big players (PopCap and potentially Big Fish :() has just kind of solidified my position.

To be honest I think even if there was 100% employment here I'd like to live and work abroad for a few years. I'd really love to live in Scandinavia for a while.

I'd envisage returning to Ireland at some point, but if it didn't happen I don't think I'd be that upset to be brutally honest. I've kind of grown increasingly frustrated with how things work here, both politically and socially, and I think a break from that to show me that other countries can be worse might be a good thing. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Look at ye, running off after your free degree. Bunch of robbers sure isn't it terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

No
    I'm planning to within the next 6-12 months. I'll probably stick with somewhere in Europe; as much as I like America I honestly don't think I could live there even for a short period of time.

As to how long I stay gone, I honestly don't know. I'm hoping to get a job and travel around quite a bit if possible, and also do my MA in a European University so probably a few years. I can't see myself emigrating permanently though, and nor do I want to. As much as people complain about Ireland I think it is one of the better places in the world to live.

Mostly I just want to take a few years out to see some of the world and experience other cultures while I still have the opportunity. Returning to Ireland and building a solid future is definitely on the cards for me, provided that I can get a good job here when that time comes.

Now that I've written that all down, the thought of actually emigrating scares the bejaysus out of me. I'm a baby :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Yes I plan to leave and probably never return permantley. I don't know when I don't know where but I'm guessing one more year here and either first year off this island will probably be England . I've been here too long for my liking .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

No
    This is my last year of college. I'll be saving up money from working on the weekends and such. After I graduate I'll probably be applying for a visa to Japan and I'll be heading there for a year at least to teach English. To be honest I don't see why people wouldn't want to leave this country, or rather any country they grew up in. You've only got one life and there is so many different cultures and people out beyond this little island to experience I think you'd be mad not to go away for a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Whatever I feel like, GOSH!!
    Undecided.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

No
    I'm probably going to. There's no jobs here, nothing to keep me here apart from my family. I'll do my degree, do my post grad, and then I'm getting out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

No
    Do you have to have a degree to successfully move and support yourself in a different country? Just looking for peoples opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

No
    I've given this kip of a country enough of my life.
    **** weather, rubbish politicians, crap public services, rip-off shops, and docile populace who'd rather roll over and take it up the crapper than stand up for themselves. No offence. :D
    It's time I tried a change of scenery. I'll be gone within the year, and expect that I'll wish I'd done it sooner once I have done.
    Where to? Wherever I find suitable work. North America, Western Europe, South East Asia, Australia are all possibilities (and my preferences run in that order.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

No
    I've always planned on travelling and working abroad, thankfully I'm in an industry where I can get work pretty much anywhere in the world, and I'm working for an internationally known company at the moment so I can apply for transfers and the likes. In all the hype of pure emigration over the last few years I'd kind of forgotten my original dream of spending two years travelling and doing a round the world trip, stopping off in australia for a while to get some more funds for travelling. So much things in this country frustrate me, and I would like to experience other cultures and countries but I reckon I'll always end up back here. As a chef, it would be pretty stupid and naive to only ever live and work in Ireland, I'm never going to broaden my horizons otherwise. But yeah, I plan on spending the next year or two to start my adventures who knows where I might end up loving and living though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I said "Whatever I feel like, GOSH!!!" because... Well, it's probably just the most accurate!

I think I'll leave for a while at least for the experience of other countries and cultures (and it may be a necessary step in the aul' career). But the older I get the more I appreciate Ireland. For now, I can see myself living here permanently in the end. Maybe it's just because I've travelled like, nowhere, so I'm a bit naive... I just feel so at home in Ireland, even if I'm somewhere around the country I've never even been. I think people have a very colourful way of expressing themselves. I like the mannerisms. I like that there's a sense of community in a lot of ways. I love that there's banter in everything!! I was in London a few weeks ago, and that's cool and all, but it just not the same. Also, my accent isn't an issue here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

No
    "Whatever I feel like, GOSH!!" was a Napoleon Dynamite reference btw. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

"Whatever I feel like, GOSH!!" was a Napoleon Dynamite reference btw. :P

Damn :P I haven't seen that :P *feels inadequate* ... Maybe I should emigrate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

No
    I get what you mean (JamJam)^2

One of my favourite lyrics ever is 'Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again..' (Good old Tim McGraw <3)

I love Ireland, but I think the way to really appreciate home is to be away and realise what you had on your doorstep. The world, in all reality, is a teeny tiny place. Might as well go for it.

The world is more accessible now than ever before so we might as well go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

**** weather, rubbish politicians, crap public services, rip-off shops, and docile populace who'd rather roll over and take it up the crapper than stand up for themselves. No offence. :D
    It's time I tried a change of scenery. I'll be gone within the year, and expect that I'll wish I'd done it sooner once I have done.
    Where to? Wherever I find suitable work. North America, Western Europe, South East Asia, Australia are all possibilities (and my preferences run in that order.)

You won't be any major loss to Ireland nor will you be any major gain to whatever country you go to with that attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

You people have a very distorted view of what life is like here in the U.S.

You think you have a "docile populace?" This country is full of the fattest, dumbest ****ing people Ive ever met. They are being robbed blind by the people they "elect." Meanwhile, all the give a **** about is who Kim Kardashian is banging this week.

The US has become the England of old - an Empire. We are taxing our citizens to death and using that money to murder, obliterate and conquer the nations of the middle east.

The CIA is the largest terrorist organization in the world. They overthrow duly elected govt's and install their own politicians, then wage war against the innocent people of those countries when they stop taking orders.. (see iran coup 1953, Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden)

All the principles that this country was founded upon - Liberty - are being systematically taken away and the people don't care. The US is the new Nazi regime.

You will not find work here. You WILL, however, find debt. Abe Lincoln sold this country back to the Bank of London/ Rothschilds in 1862. WE are NOT free.

So yes, enjoy your "free" education, then come here and get some debt. It's the thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 finnmcool

No
    I'd go in a heartbeat with my family if I could afford to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Do you have to have a degree to successfully move and support yourself in a different country? Just looking for peoples opinions.

Most Asian countries require you to have at least a degree to get a visa to work there (esp. China, Japan, Korea). The better the qualifications you have, the higher the salary you can negotiate. I left Ireland with a Masters.

Don't come to Shanghai - don't want any of your negativity over here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

No
    Have already left... Got offered a job in ireland this morning and i turned it down :o

No
    Caonima wrote: »
    Don't come to Shanghai - don't want any of your negativity over here

I wouldn't sh1te on Shanghai. The only Chinese cities I'd remotely consider living in would be Hong Kong, Taipei or Singapore. I'm not fond of living in police states.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chris_john_lane

No
    thinking about it , scary tho !!

No
    Canada!

No
    Aye, two more years saving to go back to college, four years there and then it's off to Canada right quick got some family over there probably head to them

Lucky you having contacts over there

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

No
    Currently in college and I dunno how transferable my degree is but it's been my life's ambition to go travelling since I was a foot tall. I literally cannot comprehend the thought of staying here in Ireland all my life. I just couldn't do it. There's so much to see, do, experience in this world that I would go insane not attempting to try it all.

I'd love to live in Australia for a while, 5-10 years though I have no idea how viable that is, England too. I just want to try so much before I decide to settle down. I see myself moving back to Ireland to have a family and get married (all that stuff). My family is real close knit and if I were to have children, I'd like them to experience that.

That said, I'm only 19 now and my dreams/plans/ideals will change before all this becomes a reality for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

I wouldn't sh1te on Shanghai. The only Chinese cities I'd remotely consider living in would be Hong Kong, Taipei or Singapore. I'm not fond of living in police states.

Picking the three most un-Chinese cities there; nice one.

So you're not fond of living in police states - how many have you lived in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've been in Korea for 6 months and its been a good experience. Living in another culture makes you more aware of Ireland's strengths and flaws.

• Advertisement

No
    Caonima wrote: »
    Picking the three most un-Chinese cities there; nice one.

So you're not fond of living in police states - how many have you lived in then?

Four or five, including the PRC. Also, all of those cities I name are Chinese, just not PRC Chinese.

Advertisement