Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Holy crap that set up is the B0llix man.
    I like the look of all 3 different cabs together.
    Ohh thanks for reply on Monitor Chassis, I can get cracking now.
    Whats in the Naomi by the way, is that the main board or mame/xbox.

Its a Naomi with cf loader.
    All original hardware on them ( nearly)!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

:eek:

Amazing. The difference chopping a Naomi makes. Looks gorgrous now.

You going to get some New Net City artwork for it?

o1s1n wrote: »
    You going to get some New Net City artwork for it?

yeah hopefully.I'd like a CP overlay anyway.
    Need to get a Marquee for it.
    Anything thing would do instead of the blank one.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

I see a few atomiswave games have been converted to Naomi. they work quite nice too

• Advertisement

switched on the blast city for a game of esp and the monitor was acting funny.
    title screen came on but then it expanded and the screen turned black!
    did the same 3 or 4 times then it came on with a slightly shrunken picture.
    Few minutes later and its fine!
    havent been able to replicate the problem

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

urbanledge wrote: »

any ideas?

I usually sacrifice a small goat (or chicken if cash is tight) each month to the arcade gods to keep my one up and running.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

any ideas?

You weren't wearing your lucky socks at the time? ;)

For a second I thought I was going to read the word 'collapse' but thankfully not. Haven't heard of your issue before though, hopefully a once off.

Master of the Universe

In my very limited technological experience (!) it sounds like a capacitor problem.

Is your dining room cold at the moment? This is the kind of issue I was talking about before - the cold comes in, you turn a cab on and then your caps start having issues :(

I booted my Candy on earlier and the monitor powered up, but there was no game picture. Strange as I've never had an issue with my Soul Edge board before. Rebooted it and it worked fine. Again, could be the cold screwing with the caps on the board as my house has had a sudden huge drop in temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

yeah hopefully.I'd like a CP overlay anyway.
    Need to get a Marquee for it.
    Anything thing would do instead of the blank one.

Welcome to the Naomi chop club sir :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well I did it, finally (after what, two years? :D) I've managed to assemble all those neo mini box carts. Shame the man who sorted out the deal for me back then isn't around these parts to witness it :(

They sure do hide the ugly of MVS carts well.

DSC_0492_zpsd7f3263c.jpg

Sooo, I got a few 14" monitors of mitch for my cocktail.
    The first i put in I managed to Neck! Not from hitting it off something but from a tight wire which wrapped around the neck from chassis while positioning it.

The mad hissing sound made me jump back and nearly sh1t me pants.It was like it was culminating to a massive explosion that thankfully never happened.
    I never want to hear that sound again,lesson learnt.
    Anyway second monitor worked a charm after much fiddling.
    not much restoring left to do now and it's good to go:)
    m8ch.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Great to see up and running, ive yet to try the two i have. do those ones have screen burn on them? did they fit into the cocktail ok, i was thinking they might be slightly bigger than the original ones in it.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ok, in a moment of what might turn out to be madness I've decided to order one of those 14" trisync arcade monitors kits from Jeff in the UK (full kit with chassis etc).
    It'll be going in that small Taito arcade machine I got of Keith a while back. Overkill to be sure but I'm looking at it as something I can us for a better project in the future but still get use out of it now. It seems like a really nice bit of kit and I reckon it'll look great.

Whats the latest on this Steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Whats the latest on this Steve!

No update worth posting as of yet.
    I've a load of nerd/retro projects going on at the moment :)

Steve SI wrote: »
    No update worth posting as of yet.
    I've a load of nerd/retro projects going on at the moment :)

Have you got it tho????? If say it's a beast

keithgeo wrote: »
    Great to see up and running, ive yet to try the two i have. do those ones have screen burn on them? did they fit into the cocktail ok, i was thinking they might be slightly bigger than the original ones in it.

Cheers Keith, Yeah i got 4 off Mitch, two the same as the ones I saw you had in your gaff, one has no noticeable burn but chassis is done for while you can read the poker hand on the other turned off!!
    He also gave me two other different models, one of which is in the cab, the other i necked like a spa, no screen burn at all really.

They are all bigger than the original screen, 14"...the original screen is 13" for these Taitos/Nichibutu's cocktails

Width wise it means the hole in the top wood will have to be trimmed about an inch or two to fit the tube which is a pain because i didn't want to alter this machine in any way, I'll get over it I suppose.

Vertically the neck board is only a few mm from the bottom when fitted.Snug!

Just a series of stupid questions regarding my cocktail cab i'm doing up(bear with me) :)

So every cab i've seen has a line filter and fuse connecting to the AC wiring before it hits the PSU, ala bob roberts AC diagram.

In my cocktail Ive just wired the AC from the wall running straight to the PSU.
    Will it cause problems..I guess its a risk yeah?

Does the fuse in the plug not safe guard from surges anyway?
    I would ideally like to fit a line filter for piece of mind,where the feck do i get one or does anyone have one spare?

cheers

I've never seen a line filter on a cab.in fact I never even heard of a line filter.
    American thing maybe?

These yolks..number 3 in pic.
    They are in every cab I have candy and woodies..used to reduce A/C noise i think.

1ftk.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Theres a line filter in both my candies (the AWSD had one too) but the woody didn't.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Theres a line filter in both my candies (the AWSD had one too) but the woody didn't.

Maybe I do so!

Master of the Universe

I googled a pic inside an E2...you can see a line filter in the middle to left of this pic :)

P1010062.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saw the inside of the Taito cab Keith sold Kerbdog yesterday.... I think something has evolved deep in the dust in the bottom of the cab, could have sworn something said "close the ruddy door".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Saw the inside of the Taito cab Keith sold Kerbdog yesterday.... I think something has evolved deep in the dust in the bottom of the cab, could have sworn something said "close the ruddy door".....

Sure I think Bob found a mouse skeleton or something in one of the ones I sold him, which was part of the Keithgeo Barn Find originally

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh there was a serious amount of white mold in those things, definitely needed scrubbing, and a mask on when doing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'd wind up looking like a victim from The Last of Us otherwise!

It's eventually coming together with the Moon base cocktail I got of Keith
    I've just put 1P CP on and it's all working a charm.
    I've decided to keep all original parts..legs,buttons,joysticks etc and just scrub them to an inch of their lifes.

huel.jpg

I debated whether to spay the legs but after many hours of attacking them with a combination of tinfoil,wire brushes, car polish and Phosphoric acid all the rust is gone and I'm happy with the end result.

wbah.jpg&action=rotate

w8iv.jpg

Master of the Universe

Here are some shots of that 6 in 1 Jamma pcb thingy for anyone interested. It's a hell of a lot smaller than I thought it would be, which is a major bonus.

2013-10-30153950_zpsd4f4a2cf.jpg

Here is it compared to Ibara and that 60 in 1 vertical board. (just to note, it's not on the carpet! The PCB has plastic feet :D)

2013-10-30154604_zpsf4abf929.jpg

Fits on the floor of the cab with still allowing a board mounted on the side (and the PSU doesn't have to move, which I thought I'd need to do)

2013-10-30154933_zps19e65b4a.jpg

I'd definitely be worried about inserting anything bigger than a cave PCB straight into it as for one, it'll be too heavy for the multi board and also, it'd put strain on the PCB edge like Casey120 said.

2013-10-30155015_zpsfeb2ca8b.jpg

Would be amazing to have it full of Cave boards though!

The issue now is going to be finding good extension harnesses.

I doubt I'll ever be able to fit a whole 6 boards in it (Unless I pick up some other mini ones like Cave boards) but should get at least 4 wired up I'd say.

It's so nice being able to flick between them with a switch - even just with two boards in!

• Advertisement

Deadly Idea Actually..how do you switch between games?

Advertisement