Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I remember another one with the sponger where hes going on about how hes able to get away with not paying his license or whatever and a hand reaches out from the side of the screen and grabs him.

The only other one I remember is,I think,the first one they brought out-where the sponge is just sitting on the couch in a darkened room watchin the telly and saying nothing,then out of nothing a hand comes from behind the couch and starts choking him,and almost instantly the "scary" closing line is said..."TV SPONGERS BEWARE,THE SQUEEZE IS ON!!"
    Scared the livin sheit out of me,that did!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

darkdubh wrote: »
    Remember the TV sponger license ads?Heres one of the better known ones on here towards the end.

I wonder was the sponger voiced by the same person who did Mr Crow in Wanderly Wagon?I can detect a slight vocal resemblance.

Another couple of flashbacks-

Remember an ad for either speeding or drink driving,where they show a person washing blood off his/her hands underneath a running tap,but when they take their hands away from the tap and show their palms,they are still steeped in blood-and the V.O. says "If you kill someone,you may try,but you will never wash away the stain."

And one from UTV:
    (animated)

"Doctor,doctor,I'm feeling down,can I have a prescription?"
    "Doctor,doctor,my finger is sore,can I have a prescription?
    'Doctor,doctor,my head hurts,can I have a prescription?"
    "YOU DON'T NEED A PILL FOR EVERY ILL-LET THE DOCTOR DECIDE."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I wonder was the sponger voiced by the same person who did Mr Crow in Wanderly Wagon?I can detect a slight vocal resemblance.

Pretty sure that Mr Crow was voiced by Godmother [Nora O'Mahony]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Anybody remember yer one with the giant flares getting a banger in the face?

Then there was Timmmmeee getting run over (whilst wearing flares) by a slow-moving milk float?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Seasan wrote: »
    Remember an ad for either speeding or drink driving,where they show a person washing blood off his/her hands underneath a running tap,but when they take their hands away from the tap and show their palms,they are still steeped in blood-and the V.O. says "If you kill someone,you may try,but you will never wash away the stain."

I remember that! Based on Lady Macbeth: "out, out, damned spot!"

chopper6 wrote: »
    Anybody remember yer one with the giant flares getting a banger in the face?

Then there was Timmmmeee getting run over (whilst wearing flares) by a slow-moving milk float?

Firework Girl. Made by Central Office of Information in 1975.

Watch it here.

Another rather morbid ad-possibly from early 90s and again about road deaths...
    First they show one body on the road covered with a red robe,then the camera moves to another part of the road and shows another body again covered with a red robe,and then they show the whole of the long road,and there are bodies lying all over and all along the length of the road and into the distance-all covered with red robes.
    And at the end of the ad it says:
    "Let's Stop The Bloody Slaughter".

Get out

Stay out

And get the fire brigade out.

Found it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnNVeE-thVo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is a good one from British TV-and tis also on the Charley Says DVD.
    Quite scary,too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca1WlADr2q8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Advertisement

Always found that one scary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Anyone remember the ESB "farm well farm safely" ad thats featured halfway through here?It has to count as one of the cheapest looking H+S ads ever with rubbish still image drawings and the laughable animated bit with the digger hitting the overhead powerlines.

Anyone remember the ESB "farm well farm safely" ad thats featured halfway through here?It has to count as one of the cheapest looking H+S ads ever with rubbish still image drawings and the laughable animated bit with the digger hitting the overhead powerlines.

Haha

I remember those. The Systemex one is deadly though.

(sorry for doing it this way again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NpZ_zbdD0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Any time I saw the ESB farming ad,it made me think of two of my classmates in primary school-one whose family were dairy farmers and one whose family were tillage farmers.

You've also found that Irish language paint ad which I mentioned on another thread....
    You legend!!

You've also found that Irish language paint ad which I mentioned on another thread....
    You legend!!
    I used to fancy yer wan in it.She was quite tasty.

I used to fancy yer wan in it.She was quite tasty.

She reminds me of one of the Bosco presenters,or possibly some other children's tv programme....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Remember the protect and survive ads, which gave advice on what to do in caser of a nuclear attack?

branie wrote: »
    Remember the protect and survive ads, which gave advice on what to do in caser of a nuclear attack?

Wasnt even born when they came out,but they are on the Charley Says DVD.I'd say they would have scared a lot of people back then.Just watchin the one on what to do with a dead body in the house sent a mini chill up me.

I've remembered an AIDS advert from RTÉ in the early 90s-when they started to make them less scary.
    It starts with the line:
    "You do not have to be homosexual or drug-addicted to get AIDS-the HIV virus is not choosey..."
    and they show dominoes on the floor hitting each other and falling(as they do).
    Towards the end of the ad,one standing domino is picked up off the floor and this stops the rest of them being hit and they stay standing.
    And the last line of the ad says:
    "Only through prevention,knowledge and understanding can we stop the spread."

Anyone else remember it?

• Advertisement

Protect and Survive. Narrated by the great Patrick Allen.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood sampled these on the 7" versions of Two Tribes.

For the various 12" mixes [Annihilation / Carnage / Surrender / Hibakusha] Patrick Allen re-recorded his voiceovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

kitakyushu wrote: »
    It says 1979 but it must have run for years and years cos I think I saw it in the mid 80's

Was that the EDITH ad? Evacuation Drill In The Home. Yeah, sure don't we all do that. :rolleyes:

madmaggie wrote: »
    Was that the EDITH ad? Evacuation Drill In The Home. Yeah, sure don't we all do that. :rolleyes:

The EDITH ad started with a young boy finding a whistle on the table,and he says "hey Da,is this for me?" and the father says "no Timmy,that's for EDITH".
    The wife asks "who's EDITH?" and he replies "no love,you mean WHAT is EDITH."
    Then it all unfolds.....

Heres a pretty low -fi one for drink driving.I remember seeing this in print in some paper.

Heres a pretty low -fi one for drink driving.I remember seeing this in print in some paper.

I remember that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

branie wrote: »

Hope you still have the iodine tablets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

That's my mother on the phone and me as a child in the garden .haven't seen that video in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭vertmann

There was one as well where some lads were messing around on bikes and break just about every rule of the road going. One (or maybe more) of them gets a right telling off by an irate motorist who tells them they'll get killed on the road if they keep cycling like that

vertmann wrote: »
    There was one as well where some lads were messing around on bikes and break just about every rule of the road going. One (or maybe more) of them gets a right telling off by an irate motorist who tells them they'll get killed on the road if they keep cycling like that

"Where d'ye think yer goin!!
    Have ye no sense??
    Ye'll get killed if ye carry on cyclin like that!!"

• Advertisement

"Where d'ye think yer goin!!
    Have ye no sense??
    Ye'll get killed if ye carry on cyclin like that!!"

The buckos on bikes pass two other fellas and slap one guy on the head as they pass"Oi!,after im!"Then the chase is on.

Advertisement