Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I have a vague memory of a safety ad that showed various POV shots of children pulling pots and pans of boiling water down on top of themselves from cookers and getting scalded.It would have been late 70's on RTE though my memory of it is so vague that I could well have dreamed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

darkdubh wrote: »
    I have a vague memory of a safety ad that showed various POV shots of children pulling pots and pans of boiling water down on top of themselves from cookers and getting scalded.It would have been late 70's on RTE though my memory of it is so vague that I could well have dreamed it.

No, it rings a bell with me too. :D

fricatus wrote: »
    No, it rings a bell with me too. :D
    Shot of the childs hand pulling down the pot followed by a scream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Seasan wrote: »
    And now for some of those short and not so sweet PSAs which lasted less than 30 seconds each:

"In the Glen Of Imaal,the military range lands are dangerous.Heed the warnings!!"

Made it sound like a terrifying sinister place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

"Where's Grandad?"

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Made it sound like a terrifying sinister place.

Yes it did,and I remember that short ad had a freeze frame with those words written in black and white,and underneath it,in big lettering,was "BEWARE!"
    Very bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

darkdubh wrote:
    Admitedly the ads that came out in the late 70's are probably likely to remain unseen as very few people in Ireland probably had vcrs then.
    Yes I wouldnt mind seeing them all back on to be frank about it! (Better than the trash ads on now)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Those fire ads always kinda creeped me out, similar to this....

Yes it did,and I remember that short ad had a freeze frame with those words written in black and white,and underneath it,in big lettering,was "BEWARE!"
    Very bleak.

I always remember it being dark when the ad was broadcast. Never saw it in daylight. One evening (about 1980/1981) it came on and the curtains weren't pulled. As the solemn voice spoke I thought I saw a shadow at our window.

• Advertisement

I always remember it being dark when the ad was broadcast. Never saw it in daylight. One evening (about 1980/1981) it came on and the curtains weren't pulled. As the solemn voice spoke I thought I saw a shadow at our window.

That sounds effin scary....

That reminds me of the TV licence ad where me man is watchin telly,and there is a knock on the door,the telly starts goin haywire,he is tryin to hide from view,and all of a sudden the writing on the TV screen is repeatedly saying "GO TO THE FRONT DOOR!!!"
    (this ad is on the compilation posted by Darkdubh on this thread,tis just before the "John,did you put the cat out" ad)

That sounds effin scary....

That reminds me of the TV licence ad where me man is watchin telly,and there is a knock on the door,the telly starts goin haywire,he is tryin to hide from view,and all of a sudden the writing on the TV screen is repeatedly saying "GO TO THE FRONT DOOR!!!"
    (this ad is on the compilation posted by Darkdubh on this thread,tis just before the "John,did you put the cat out" ad)

just watched that ad again - thanks. The man in it was in Fair City [played Seamus Mannion].

There's also a short advert for the RTE Concert Orchestra's Greatest Themes LP which dates the sequence as winter 1987.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Remember this ad with the dog killing sheep?

http://youtu.be/0BTCY5xhrIY

Remember this ad with the dog killing sheep?

http://youtu.be/0BTCY5xhrIY

Yep-all too well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Remember EDITH? Evacuation Drill In The Home

This sensible gent having a referee's whistle hanging on a piece of string in a corner of the kitchen.
    And one of the kids ask him 'Who's that for?'' And he tells them it's for EDITH

''Who?'' EDITH. Evacuation Drill In The Home. In the event of a fire the oul lad comes down stairs & blows the whistle & everyone has to get the fuk out!

I know I've already posted this in another thread but seeing as this is about old safety adverts this is probably the best place for it."John did Ye put the cat out?" At :40

http://youtu.be/bWVamrSbgus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

gammygils wrote:
    Remember EDITH? Evacuation Drill In The Home
    Yes speaking of her I just got a VHS tape with 4 episodes on it!!

I LOVE that show!!!! (Its not P.C. and is quite good)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Wasn't there one about covering up your butter to keep flies off it? Same woman as in the nightie/fire ad? I seem to remember her saying something like "salmonella is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy!" I think it was designed to make you think about exactly where those flies might have been with their little fly-feet before landing on your butter....

What do ye think of the new Safe Cross Code ad? I've just seen it now for the first time-how long has it been out?
    Sorry for going off topic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A parody of all those safety videos

OK it starts off a little slow, but it just keeps getting better.

Edit - dubbed version for those that don't like subtitles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpwLCvPAME

Edit
    Official site
    http://www.staplerfahrerklaus.de/

• Advertisement

A parody of all those safety videos

OK it starts off a little slow, but it just keeps getting better.

Edit - dubbed version for those that don't like subtitles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpwLCvPAME

Edit
    Official site
    http://www.staplerfahrerklaus.de/
    Funnily enough that reminds me of a safety ad that used to be on RTE in the late 70's early 80's.It had all forklift drivers crashing into walls driving off piers etc.I've mentioned it a couple of times on All things retro but no one else seems to remember it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Fiat must have provided cars for making Irish road safety ads, a few I remember are

A yellow Mirafiori battering plastic cones to show the differences in braking distances on wet and dry roads

A lad waking up hungover, looking at the keys of his Mirafiori on the bedside locker and not remembering how he got home

A Fiat 128 being driven an empty motorway with the voiceover saying If you had the only car in the world you could drive as you please but you don't, I think this ad also featured a Mercedes trying to turn at junction when he should have gone straight and the voiceover saying both lanes were banjaxed:D

By any chance does anybody remember an ad which showed a toddler toddling around the floor while its mother was doing the ironing,the toddler grabs onto the lead,then you don't see what happens but you can hear the iron falling and the child screaming,and then at the end of the ad you see a still freeze frame of a toy plastic baby doll with a hot iron melting its head,and a serious female voice saying..."Keep your children safely away from flexes."
    ??
    I don't actually remember that ad being shown too often back then.

By any chance does anybody remember an ad which showed a toddler toddling around the floor while its mother was doing the ironing,the toddler grabs onto the lead,then you don't see what happens but you can hear the iron falling and the child screaming,and then at the end of the ad you see a still freeze frame of a toy plastic baby doll with a hot iron melting its head,and a serious female voice saying..."Keep your children safely away from flexes."
    ??
    I don't actually remember that ad being shown too often back then.
    It reminds me of an a saftey ad on RTE which I can barely remember and which showed a POV shot of a child reaching up to a saucepan of boiling water and pulling it down on top of themselves followed by screams.

Remember the TV sponger license ads?Heres one of the better known ones on here towards the end.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Remember the TV sponger license ads?Heres one of the better known ones on here towards the end.

Ah sur jaysus youre a bloody legend,so you are!! I thought Id never see those sponger ads again....

The sponger was like a nipper.

The sponger was like a nipper.

....only uglier and scarier

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I remember another one with the sponger where hes going on about how hes able to get away with not paying his license or whatever and a hand reaches out from the side of the screen and grabs him.

Advertisement