Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

MOC88 wrote: »
    Where'd you pull that from??? There is a tree but Lordran is by itself on top of the walls etc. It could easily just be a sea. I prefer the theory that Dark SOuls is connected to Demon's souls and Lordran is the land giants

I honestly can't remember, I either read it or watched it somewhere. Possibly from this youtuber as he has done loads of videos from the lore and has made quite logical and the most possibly accurate arguments in regards the Dark Souls lore.

I havent played Demon Souls but Im sure the worlds are connected. One observation for this is that Patches is in both Demon Souls and Dark Souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did you not have Mildred with you for that one, any time I've done that fight She made bits of Quelaag :pac:

The maneater title she has is certainly a red herring :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

calex71 wrote: »
    Did you not have Mildred with you for that one, any time I've done that fight She made bits of Quelaag :pac:

The maneater title she has is certainly a red herring :D

Eventually, that spider bitch was eating me alive. So I reversed hollowing to kindle the nearby bonfire and then I got invaded, I had never been invaded before and I vanquished somebody called Mildred. I thought she was taking the piss until I saw the summon sign before the domain. Mildred tanked while I spanked.

Now this is my second attempt at the the game and all these little surprises are amazing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone think the DLC for this will go on offer before or when DS 2 comes out? Would like to play it before I lash into the second one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone think the DLC for this will go on offer before or when DS 2 comes out? Would like to play it before I lash into the second one.

Certainly possible. The DLC is well worth the price tag and that's something I don't say lightly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Eventually, that spider bitch was eating me alive. So I reversed hollowing to kindle the nearby bonfire and then I got invaded, I had never been invaded before and I vanquished somebody called Mildred. I thought she was taking the piss until I saw the summon sign before the domain. Mildred tanked while I spanked.

Now this is my second attempt at the the game and all these little surprises are amazing.

I thought it was a real person invading me there the 1st time she spawned into my game :D

But she really does not like Quelaag !!!!! She went totally nuts on her in my game took away half her health before I was able to get involved in the fight :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Certainly possible. The DLC is well worth the price tag and that's something I don't say lightly.

I paid €15 for the DLC and have no regrets, its a great piece of content. It has some of the best fights in the game and adds some great backstories and lore. The Artorias fight was probably my favourite part of the game, I wish there were more bosses like him that weren't just massive creatures you had to slowly grind down. Kalameet and Manus were up there with the best fights in the game as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I honestly can't remember, I either read it or watched it somewhere. Possibly from this youtuber as he has done loads of videos from the lore and has made quite logical and the most possibly accurate arguments in regards the Dark Souls lore.

I havent played Demon Souls but Im sure the worlds are connected. One observation for this is that Patches is in both Demon Souls and Dark Souls.

I personally don't think its a world for each tree just that tst a seperate area in one direction as in its a sea that has massive trees growing out of it - if you think about it very little of Lordran is actually built around that tree and the areas from demon's souls had no tree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Saw this on reddit, hope it hasn't been posted here already.

sdYaGWi.png

Played DS2 over the weekend at the Eurogamer Expo.

The demo is very well designed. Shows off light, fire, rain and a variety of areas really well. 4 different classes to play, but no way to check stats or change equipment. I very nearly killed the Mirror Knight. 20 minute limit and a crowd of onlookers got to me I think. Anyone worried about difficulty, well, I only died on the Mirror Knight himself, but I saw plenty die on the way to him. I've a 12 minute video of shaky-cam (phone) footage, that I could upload to YouTube if anyone is interested. Would be happy to answer any questions people have.

Really looking forward to this now. I think I'll hold off on any next-gen purchase until I get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Saw this on reddit, hope it hasn't been posted here already.

sdYaGWi.png

Played DS2 over the weekend at the Eurogamer Expo.

The demo is very well designed. Shows off light, fire, rain and a variety of areas really well. 4 different classes to play, but no way to check stats or change equipment. I very nearly killed the Mirror Knight. 20 minute limit and a crowd of onlookers got to me I think. Anyone worried about difficulty, well, I only died on the Mirror Knight himself, but I saw plenty die on the way to him. I've a 12 minute video of shaky-cam (phone) footage, that I could upload to YouTube if anyone is interested. Would be happy to answer any questions people have.

Really looking forward to this now. I think I'll hold off on any next-gen purchase until I get this.

Wow, I'm mega jealous! Anything in particular stand out for you?

I'm just after restarting yet again. Trying out a new pyro/dex build where I force myself to get better at backstabs and parrying. Currently grinding kills in the forest to get a ring of fog. The PvP in the forest is just horrifying! Ganking is the name of the game in there, it's bloody brutal!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so is anyone playing the insane aggression mod?

it's uh... hard

--edit

jesus, you cant even rest at some bonfires. if there's any enemies who can see you, as soon as they respawn they move to attack you. i was at the undead parish but not at the bonfire yet.. I had some souls so I had to make my way back to firelink shrine to get to a bonfire I could relax at without being attacked while in the menus

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

so is anyone playing the insane aggression mod?

it's uh... hard

--edit

jesus, you cant even rest at some bonfires. if there's any enemies who can see you, as soon as they respawn they move to attack you. i was at the undead parish but not at the bonfire yet.. I had some souls so I had to make my way back to firelink shrine to get to a bonfire I could relax at without being attacked while in the menus

Sounds like the gaming equivalent of self flagellation.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sounds like the gaming equivalent of self flagellation.

im trying to cheat a little and get the drake sword, to make the early game easier. as soon as you aggro the drake it just stays on the bridge trying to kill you underneath.. it wont fly back to its perch.

hardkoer

im trying to cheat a little and get the drake sword, to make the early game easier. as soon as you aggro the drake it just stays on the bridge trying to kill you underneath.. it wont fly back to its perch.

hardkoer

What happens if you leg it past him to the bonfire? Wish I could use these mods on PS3; I saw VaatiVidya showcase it the other week and it looked hilarious!

same as in the vanilla game, he buggers off once you rest at the bonfire.

problem is as soon as the hollow warriors respawn on the bridge, they start attacking you so you don't have any time to do anything at that bonfire. sit down, get up, roll out of the way.

--edit

also, I got a balder side sword after killing only 6-7 balder knights.

Yeah.

Dark Souls comic announced!

I'm a Dark Souls lore junkie, so this will be pretty cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Dark Souls comic announced!

I'm a Dark Souls lore junkie, so this will be pretty cool!!

Dark Souls lore nerd also, looks like this will be the first comic i ever read...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I bought this today, enjoying it so far. Died a few times so far dicking around near bonfires seeing how different combat techniques work and practicing parrying and ripostes, am liking how little info is given to you and it's trial and error, I thought replaying sections would be tiresome but it's not when you're feeling out enemies and finding what works tactic wise. Although I'm sure when I lose a ton of playtime I'll change my mind about that part :pac: anyone got any tips? am a Knight and am at the Undead Burg, passed the bonfire, fought a few enemies on a bridge section then ran down a stairs and saw this huge knight with his back to me, lets just say that encounter didn't go well :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    I bought this today, enjoying it so far. Died a few times so far dicking around near bonfires seeing how different combat techniques work and practicing parrying and ripostes, am liking how little info is given to you and it's trial and error, I thought replaying sections would be tiresome but it's not when you're feeling out enemies and finding what works tactic wise. Although I'm sure when I lose a ton of playtime I'll change my mind about that part :pac: anyone got any tips? am a Knight and am at the Undead Burg, passed the bonfire, fought a few enemies on a bridge section then ran down a stairs and saw this huge knight with his back to me, lets just say that encounter didn't go well :pac:

that guy is optional, you can easily leave him till later. he's just guarding something.

you want to go up past him, up those stairs and then up more stairs inside the tower. after that you go wherever you can/want :)

that guy is optional, you can easily leave him till later. he's just guarding something.

you want to go up past him, up those stairs and then up more stairs inside the tower. after that you go wherever you can/want :)

Cool, can you come back to previous areas? or are you constantly pushed forward? I like how little hand holding is in it, dying has consequences and makes you think twice about charging in swinging as that gets you killed pretty quick, none of this die and restart from a few seconds earlier stuff that's so prevalant in games these days. Those bloody firebombers are annoying though :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

A lot of dark is optional, you can skip a lot of bosses especially with the master key as a beginner gift, you can even skip the burg altogether. That guy below in the tower drops a handy item. He's also perfect for practising backstabs on even parries but as you found out, messing up once has dire consequenses.

Cool, can you come back to previous areas? or are you constantly pushed forward? I like how little hand holding is in it, dying has consequences and makes you think twice about charging in swinging as that gets you killed pretty quick, none of this die and restart from a few seconds earlier stuff that's so prevalant in games these days. Those bloody firebombers are annoying though :mad:

i think there might be one or two areas where you can't easily go back.. but in general once you have somewhere opened up you can move back and forth just by walking back the path you came

i think there might be one or two areas where you can't easily go back.. but in general once you have somewhere opened up you can move back and forth just by walking back the path you came

I don't think there's a "just" in Dark Souls, ah yeah sure just venture back along that section where everything is ready to kill you again, off ya go :pac:

I took that ring that gives you more HP at the start, I'm kinda wondering now should I restart with the master key before I get too far into it, I actually wouldn't mind replaying the first section I'm not too far into it, just over an hour. And at least now I know whats instore up until where I am, not slowly going around corners with my shield up hoping there's not something horrible around :pac:

I don't think there's a "just" in Dark Souls, ah yeah sure just venture back along that section where everything is ready to kill you again, off ya go :pac:

I took that ring that gives you more HP at the start, I'm kinda wondering now should I restart with the master key before I get too far into it, I actually wouldn't mind replaying the first section I'm not too far into it, just over an hour. And at least now I know whats instore up until where I am, not slowly going around corners with my shield up hoping there's not something horrible around :pac:

Don't worry, you can buy a master key later on. The master key is only really that useful if you plan on going to areas that are REALLY dangerous for underlevelled characters to pick up some sweet gear by doing suicide runs. For your first playthrough, you probably won't be doing that.

If you want to kill that black knight and get the ring he guards (buffs defense when hp critical, and maybe a piece of awesome black knight equipment), then use the gold pine resin that you found in the chest nearby to buff your weapon with lightning. Also, practice backstabbing before parry and ripostes; it'll wreck him! One last thing, when you get to the tower in the burg, for christ sake DON'T GO DOWN THE STAIRS!!!

(So jealous that you get to do all of this for the first time!)

Don't worry, you can buy a master key later on. The master key is only really that useful if you plan on going to areas that are REALLY dangerous for underlevelled characters to pick up some sweet gear by doing suicide runs. For your first playthrough, you probably won't be doing that.

If you want to kill that black knight and get the ring he guards (buffs defense when hp critical, and maybe a piece of awesome black knight equipment), then use the gold pine resin that you found in the chest nearby to buff your weapon with lightning. Also, practice backstabbing before parry and ripostes; it'll wreck him! One last thing, when you get to the tower in the burg, for christ sake DON'T GO DOWN THE STAIRS!!!

I must practice backstabbing more, is there a trick to is or just leg around them, am a knight so not exactly speedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The trick to backstabbing is not using an directional buttons when you hit the attack button. Once you're at their back, press attack only. When I first played Dark Souls I kept on repeatedly failing backstabs because I was holding down the directional as well as attack.

Few tactics for backstabs:
    - Obvious one is sneaking up behind them by not running.
    - Having a decent stable shield, when they attack and the block knocks them off guard, run behind them and backstab
    - Do not lock onto an enemy and zig zag and run behind them, if your faster at running behind them than they are turning around then you can backstab them (good against hollow soldiers with spears)
    - Kick them and when it breaks their block run behind them and backstab them.
    - Later in the game you can get two rings, one that makes you nearly invisible and one that muffles your footsteps. These will easily allow you to do backstabs

All the above except the third one, the lock-on function can be useful to easily turn behind an enemy when you try get behind them

Aha, I was holding the directional pad as well, will try it without later. getting a riposte spot on is damn satisfying, especially on the enemies with shields and armour.

I never knew that about the touching the analogue stick while backstabbing, I must give this a whirl later, as I'm pretty bad at backstabbing in PvP! My trick for backstabbing in PvE though is not locking on, and just running behind them and clocking them. Check out this video though for a great guide on PvE backstabbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I love backstabbing with the Hornet ring when I invade someone although it leads to quite a bit of hatemail :D

I've pretty much done all there is to do in this game. Nowadays I just either offer my services as a Sunbro or I invade other people and hunt them down. I normally lurk around Anor Londo with my Level 55 sorceror or invade in the Kiln with my level 120 Cleric.
    One last thing, when you get to the tower in the burg, for christ sake DON'T GO DOWN THE STAIRS!!!

I done that using the Master Key, after a lot of crazy dodging and backstabbing I won lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Havel is also easily parryable. Just gtf out of the way if he goes two handed.

Advertisement