Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh ffs, I got twatted again by Havel, said I'd go off and do something else, wound up in Darkroot Basin, see some gigantic boss thingy off in the distance, saw screw that and go in a door up a hill, who's there? Havel! I didn't realise the area was right under Undead Burg.

I love the level design in this game, every area is reachable and the bonfires start to seem less distant the more you progress and get around. Really starting to see why it made it into so many people's favourite games list.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

krudler wrote: »
    Question about classes, prob been answered on here but theres a lot of pages, can I learn spells as a knight? or are you stuck with melee weapons and bows?

Yep, and there's some great spells that work well for melee characters like magic weapon. From the Firelink Shrine's bonfire, go down the stairs to the firekeeper, and keep going down till you reach an elevator. Head down to the New Londo ruins, and when out of that little tower look for a path that goes down and to the right where you'll find Rickert of Vinheim. You can buy a catalyst and some basic spells from him. You'll find Griggs of Vinheim trapped by a locked door (yeah...) in the Lower Undead Burg, just near the entrance, but you need to have bought the key from the male undead merchant that's near the first bonfire in the Burg. He'll then be selling better spells from the Firelink Shrine.

Personally, I think miracles compliment a melee build better though. Hurling lightning bolts at your enemies is friggin fun! You have to join the Covenant of the Sunbro to get those miracles though. To get to that altar, you gotta run past the dragon on the bridge (hint: run up the stairs and run straight to the other side and hide behind the wall to avoid the flame). You won't be able to pray at the altar though till you either have high faith, or you've helped some people kill bosses in some online jolly cooperation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Danonino. wrote: »
    HA ended up playing till all hours and grabbing all the trophys at silly o'clock :pac:

Kinda embarrassed to say I've now 100% completed Dark Souls on 360 and PS3. I have a lv2 Cleric run saved at the 4 kings, but I think I'm done. Really done this time. Roll on Dark Souls 2 :D

My internet crapped out so I never got too add you, it's just back today and I've also just got the platinum literally 15 minutes ago too.

I'll admit I didn't get Demon's Souls, I never gave it enough time. Am absolutely loving this though, dying is a learning tool, yeah it can be annoying trudging back to an area to fight a boss again you just want to get back there but rushing it never ends well.
    And 90% of the time if you die it's your own fault, I've cursed the controls for sending me rolling off ledges a few times alright but usually it's from rushing or not feeling out an enemy that gets you murdered. I don't really mind replaying sections as you're constantly bettering yourself and combat techniques or trying new weapons and tactics, going into new areas is fun too, shield up, check the corners, never assume anywhere is safe.

Yeah the lock on camera can and will screw you over a cliff on occasion. Most of my deaths come from 3 things.
    1. Forgetting where I am and rolling off a cliff
    2. A poorly timed strong attack
    3. The worst one, being over confident and getting slapped down by the most basic enemies

The last one is a nice reminder to be patient even when you think you're a badass. And as for replaying areas, bar one or two places, you're never more than a couple of minutes from where you died anyway.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Yeah the lock on camera can and will screw you over a cliff on occasion. Most of my deaths come from 3 things.
    1. Forgetting where I am and rolling off a cliff
    2. A poorly timed strong attack
    3. The worst one, being over confident and getting slapped down by the most basic enemies

The last one is a nice reminder to be patient even when you think you're a badass. And as for replaying areas, bar one or two places, you're never more than a couple of minutes from where you died anyway.

Big time, even bog standard hollows can be a problem if there's a bunch of them and you mistime an attack or get surrounded.

I have a pyromancer staff thingy but can't use spells, who do I buy those off of? do I need to join a new covenant or can I use them regardless?

• Advertisement

Big time, even bog standard hollows can be a problem if there's a bunch of them and you mistime an attack or get surrounded.

I have a pyromancer staff thingy but can't use spells, who do I buy those off of? do I need to join a new covenant or can I use them regardless?

You need a pyromancy glove to use pyromancies. The easiest way to get one is from Laurentius, you can find him in a room next to the butcher lady in the depths. Tip: don't attack the barrels, roll through them.

And he sells different pyromancies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

You can buy spells down the stairs from the firelink shire off a merchant in the cave/cage. for better spells you will need to get to sens fortress first. not to ruin anything for you but you will have to follow a few steps to get the best spells. there is also a few good ones in the additional content

You need a pyromancy glove to use pyromancies. The easiest way to get one is from Laurentius, you can find him in a room next to the butcher lady in the depths. Tip: don't attack the barrels, roll through them.

That's where I'll be heading later to twat that bitch in the face for killing me before :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Well tbf the easiest way to get one is to start the game as a pyromancer!

danthefan wrote: »
    Well tbf the easiest way to get one is to start the game as a pyromancer!

Good thinking, if he asks where to get a bow we'll tell him to restart as a hunter too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Good thinking, if he asks where to get a bow we'll tell him to restart as a hunter too. ;)

this amuses me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's one or two great ones about the place

wont repeat as they're best seen for the first time yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

You'll be seeing a lot those types of messages further right before certain bosses/characters :pac:

Yeeha, beat Havel and the dragon in The Depths. The feeling of reward you get for finishing off bosses is immense in this. Going after the Hydra in Darkroot Basin now, getting to him is a pain trying to dodge the blasts of water even in light armour, least he took out a rake of those Golem things for me though.
    Had a read of the wiki and managed to get back to Undead Asylum, didn't realise the enemies would all be beefed up to black knights a new boss would be there, hadn't read that far ahead lol there was me thinking I'd stroll in and kick ass, nope!.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeeha, beat Havel and the dragon in The Depths. The feeling of reward you get for finishing off bosses is immense in this. Going after the Hydra in Darkroot Basin now, getting to him is a pain trying to dodge the blasts of water even in light armour, least he took out a rake of those Golem things for me though.
    Had a read of the wiki and managed to get back to Undead Asylum, didn't realise the enemies would all be beefed up to black knights a new boss would be there, hadn't read that far ahead lol there was me thinking I'd stroll in and kick ass, nope!.

No spoilers but if you go back to your cell in the Asylum there will be something there that you can use later in the game. Not saying what for :)

Kirby wrote: »
    No spoilers but if you go back to your cell in the Asylum there will be something there that you can use later in the game. Not saying what for :)

was that the
    doll
    ? Got that, and by "got" I meant "picked up just before I got twatted by a black knight as I was running away from him", saw another one and thought I'd be clever and lead him out to the big area where you fight demon boss at the beginning of the game and
    the fecking floor gave way and wound up in another boss fight
    , oh Dark souls you wench you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

was that the
    doll
    ? Got that, and by "got" I meant "picked up just before I got twatted by a black knight as I was running away from him", saw another one and thought I'd be clever and lead him out to the big area where you fight demon boss at the beginning of the game and
    the fecking floor gave way and wound up in another boss fight
    , oh Dark souls you wench you.

nelson-muntz-haha.jpg#ha%20ha%20nelson%20264x263

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

You'll be seeing a lot those types of messages further right before certain bosses/characters :pac:

I know exactly the quote and boss you mean :p:p:p

F1ngers wrote: »
    nelson-muntz-haha.jpg#ha%20ha%20nelson%20264x263

That's what I get for being cocky in Dark Souls :pac:

In a way it reminds me of playing 8 and 16 bit games, where dying meant restarting levels or checkpoints way back and having to memorise way more than games where you get only put back a few seconds or minutes of playtime and dying has little to no consequence.
    I found that about The Last Of Us, checkpoints were too close together and you could often do something stupid just to see if it worked and if not then no biggie, you'd be back there in a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Wish I could play it for the first time again, I started from scratch for the 4th time last week and I'm still not tired of the game.

You've barely scratched the surface of the game yet, Sens Fortress will probably be your next port of call followed by Anor Londo and things start to open up a lot more after that, early on you have to make do with the weapons and armour you come across but once you have some good stuff you can really work on your play style and build your character tp play exactly as you want

Harps wrote: »
    Wish I could play it for the first time again, I started from scratch for the 4th time last week and I'm still not tired of the game.

You've barely scratched the surface of the game yet, Sens Fortress will probably be your next port of call followed by Anor Londo and things start to open up a lot more after that, early on you have to make do with the weapons and armour you come across but once you have some good stuff you can really work on your play style and build your character tp play exactly as you want

Meant to ask that if I was far into it, I just killed the Hydra in Darkroot Basin and went up a big ladder into the Garden area again. The Hydra wasnt actually that hard once you get to him, dodging the water blasts and the Golems was annoying though. Just avoided the heads and kept slashing away. The last one was a pain as it kept landing in the water near the ledge so I didn't want to stray too far in, kept hitting it with arrows and down it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Meant to ask that if I was far into it, I just killed the Hydra in Darkroot Basin

You have tons of the game left to do. Including DLC you might only be about 15% of the way through the game. It's hard to say! But you've plenty to look forward to still.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Meant to ask that if I was far into it, I just killed the Hydra in Darkroot Basin and went up a big ladder into the Garden area again. The Hydra wasnt actually that hard once you get to him, dodging the water blasts and the Golems was annoying though. Just avoided the heads and kept slashing away. The last one was a pain as it kept landing in the water near the ledge so I didn't want to stray too far in, kept hitting it with arrows and down it went.

You might want to explore around that lake a bit.....

Hard to know how far you are as I think you can access that area very early on. I had over 90 hours clocked up before I moved on to NG+ though so you still have plenty to go.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You might want to explore around that lake a bit.....

Hard to know how far you are as I think you can access that area very early on. I had over 90 hours clocked up before I moved on to NG+ though so you still have plenty to go.

Off the top of my head so far the areas I've seen are Firelink (obviously) Undead Burg, The Depths, parts of the New Londo ruins, ran through Valley of the Drakes to get whatever it was that dead dragon had beside it. Ventured into Blighttown and got my ass kicked. the forest and basin areas of Darkroot, The big bridge area with the red dragon, the outside of Sen's fortress and a few other areas. Figured I was about a quarter through but it's less seemingly, good :D Last place I was was right after the Hydra and the big ladder, there's loads of those big plant creatures and what looked like a big wolf legging around off in he distance.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Off the top of my head so far the areas I've seen are Firelink (obviously) Undead Burg, The Depths, parts of the New Londo ruins, ran through Valley of the Drakes to get whatever it was that dead dragon had beside it. Ventured into Blighttown and got my ass kicked. the forest and basin areas of Darkroot, The big bridge area with the red dragon, the outside of Sen's fortress and a few other areas. Figured I was about a quarter through but it's less seemingly, good :D Last place I was was right after the Hydra and the big ladder, there's loads of those big plant creatures and what looked like a big wolf legging around off in he distance.

How long it takes depends on how much you do too, I spent loads of time farming for titanite to upgrade weapons and that as well as trying to complete all the NPC side quests. First play through was close to 100 hours where as NG+ was more around the 20 - 30 mark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

My first playthrough was about 100 hours, that was without the dlc which adds another 10-15 hours or so (or significantly more depending on how you get on against Artorius, Manus and co!). Take your time and explore everything, the game is riddled with subtle secrets and locations that add depth to the story and lore. That included hitting walls as there's fake walls in a few locations that open up whole new areas that are entirely optional. I was nearly 100 hours into the game before I found out that I'd missed out on an entire branch of the world because of a fake wall

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How long it takes depends on how much you do too, I spent loads of time farming for titanite to upgrade weapons and that as well as trying to complete all the NPC side quests. First play through was close to 100 hours where as NG+ was more around the 20 - 30 mark!

Think I'm 11 hours in, will check later, did some soul farming on the bridge with the red dragon though, handy 555 souls every time he roasts the bridge, down to the bonfire, back up, rinse and repeat. Handy way to spend a half hour building up a few levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Think I'm 11 hours in, will check later, did some soul farming on the bridge with the red dragon though, handy 555 souls every time he roasts the bridge, down to the bonfire, back up, rinse and repeat. Handy way to spend a half hour building up a few levels.

might as well lop off his tail while you're at it from safety of under the bridge for a decent early weapon, if others haven't suggested that to you yet.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    might as well lop off his tail while you're at it from safety of under the bridge for a decent early weapon, if others haven't suggested that to you yet.

the Drake sword, yeah got that. Messes low level enemies up good n proper. I need to get more pine resin for giving my weapons lightning, it's dead handy in boss fights.

Advertisement