Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

krudler wrote: »
    the Drake sword, yeah got that. Messes low level enemies up good n proper. I need to get more pine resin for giving my weapons lightning, it's dead handy in boss fights.

Just a heads up but you can't use resin on every weapon in the game unfortunately. Dragon weapons and most of the 'Unique' weapons with the exception of the Silver Knight Straight Sword and Stone Greataxe cannot use Resin or weapon buffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just a heads up but you can't use resin on every weapon in the game unfortunately. Dragon weapons and most of the 'Unique' weapons with the exception of the Silver Knight Straight Sword and Stone Greataxe cannot use Resin or weapon buffs.

Aye, the drake sword is powerful enough as it is, I like having the lightning on the Uchikatana, plus the animation of applying the resin looks cool as a boss is charging towards you :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Quelagg served me through the majority of my 2 plays on my 1st character.

Has it's down sides though like the humanity cost to get the most out of it, but if I go back to that toon for NG++ I know I'll still use it and is another early one.

Uchikatana was another favorite of mine, it's usefulness more than made up for the way in which I obtained it, regretted that kill early for a few reasons but sure didn't late on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The Balder Swag Sword will always be my hero <3 Absolutely loved it for my entire playthrough, at +15 it just owned!

Anyone use the Halberds? I find the Gargoyle one too finicky and the animation takes up time but the standard one is good, especially for rats and enemies that can poison, shield up and stabby stabby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep the Halberd is a great weapon, I upgraded the standard one to a +5 Lightning Halberd and kept it with me as my 2nd weapon throughout the game. Its a bit awkward and not something I'd use as my main weapon but its great for enemies you want to keep at a distance and does some major damage when fully upgraded, once you get one hit just keep hitting R1 and you get off 3 or 4 hit combo before the enemy reacts so it can be very handy

The Iaito at +15 was my weapon of choice for my first playthrough along with a mix of light armours to keep my weight under 25%, the best thing to do is just try everything until you find a combination you like then build your stats around that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i will forever regret 3 thing about my life

we live in an age where swords are not commonly used
    i am not a sword fighting badass
    the balder side sword is not real

ive never fallen in love with a weapon before dark souls

i kinda hate tattoos but im tempted to get a swag sword tastefully printed across my forehead

I have a Pyromancy..eh, stick? and when I try to use it he just looks bewildered at it, must build up my stats for that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have a Pyromancy..eh, stick? and when I try to use it he just looks bewildered at it, must build up my stats for that.

Have assigned spells to the slots when you were at the bonfire?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Have assigned spells to the slots when you were at the bonfire?

Is that under attunement? wasn't sure what that did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I got past the part with the dragon who drops the drake sword, should I go back for it. I think I'm at the place where you meet the blacksmith.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that under attunement? wasn't sure what that did

I think so yeah, there should be a slot or two there where you assign pyromancies, miracles and the like. THe glove/relics/staffs will do nothing if you don't do that.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I got past the part with the dragon who drops the drake sword, should I go back for it. I think I'm at the place where you meet the blacksmith.

nah

drake sword is lame
    get standard sword, upgrade it at blacksmith
    will very soon eclipse drake sword

It's a Sorcery Catalyst for Sorceries. The three 'Magic' types in the game require some sort of medium to cast them:
    - Pryomancy requires the Pyromancy Flame only
    - Sorcery requires Catalysts (various types available)
    - Miracles require Talismans (various types available)

Sorcery requires Intelligence and Miracles require faith. Pyromancy luckily only requires you to upgrade the Pyromancy flame itself.

You equip your Pyromancies, Miracles and Sorceries under Attunement at the bonfire. Increase your attunement stat to have more attunement slots. You can have max 10 attunement slots which caps at level 50 on Attunement (anything over 50 is wasting stat points). You can get two rings to further increase attunement slots which can go over the cap making it possible to have 12 attunement slots.

Think I need to go on a big soul farming session, the bridge with the dragon and that area outside the bonfire at undead burg is a handy spot for it, plenty of hollows to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

i will forever regret 3 thing about my life

we live in an age where swords are not commonly used
    i am not a sword fighting badass
    the balder side sword is not real

ive never fallen in love with a weapon before dark souls

i kinda hate tattoos but im tempted to get a swag sword tastefully printed across my forehead

Hail Comrade! Finally another believer in the Swag Sword!!

On a separate note, in regards to farming, I found that I did not need to do any to make my way through the game. That said I did get the Balder Side Sword very, very early on in the game, and as has been said, it owns.

Think I need to go on a big soul farming session, the bridge with the dragon and that area outside the bonfire at undead burg is a handy spot for it, plenty of hollows to kill.

Just kill the dragon. :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just kill the dragon. :)

Just kill the dragon he says, be grand he says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah t'will be just a flesh wound :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Hail Comrade! Finally another believer in the Swag Sword!!

On a separate note, in regards to farming, I found that I did not need to do any to make my way through the game. That said I did get the Balder Side Sword very, very early on in the game, and as has been said, it owns.

My latest build was a balder side sword, crystal magic, glass cannon Mage. Lots of fun in the forest with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

How I beat the Dragon, I've done this with every level of character but its WAY easier if you have something to reduce fire damage (flash sweat maybe) and either some pine resin or a high damage weapon. :pac:
    From the bonfire, head up the ladder then run up to the cover across from the stairs, equip either the drake sword (if you've got it or can equip it) or your best weapon and cover it in lightning just before the dragon drops, two hand it, run up the right hand side and chop off his tail (giving you the drake sword), keep running and duck into the right hand side cover on the bridge in front of the entrance to the next bonfire. Do not go into the bonfire room without dealing him damage as he will just fly off. By right hand side I mean as you run along the bridge duck into the wider part of the bridge to your right then turn around.

You now will be in cover and hopefully the dragon will turn/fly to the back of the bridge and start walking towards you, keep your shield up and walk out just as he is getting close, if you walk out too early he will try fire breath, just walk back into cover. If he leaps away to the back of the bridge get into cover and wait again. You need to stop him reaching the end of the bridge but engage in a scrap with you instead of fire breathing. He will only engage with you if you are in front of him, otherwise he will try get you out of cover.... thats death pretty much. If you are quick with a bow be pummeling him as he walks up but make sure you get out from cover before he reaches the end otherwise he'll leap and fry you.

Eventually you will get the timing down so when he reaches the end of the bridge and you are in front of him he will stop and do one of four things:
    1: Try head bash you= move back then get in and hit him a few slaps.
    2: Foot stomp= move back and then get in and hit him a few slaps.
    3: Fire breath= move into cover but get back out as soon as he is finished.
    4: Lower his head and stay still= Bust him up as much as you can.

Just aim for his head, no need to get any closer. The Drake sword two-handed can kill him in a few smacks, I did it at super low levels with pine resin Mace so its definitely doable.
    If you stay in cover too long he will leap into the air and breath fire down, this usually means death unless you have good fire defense or a really high endurance and shield. If you have low health the best option is to leg it into the bonfire area as soon as he jumps and hide behind the wall (pretty much acts like the cover on the bridge) then try leg it back out when its safe. Usually if he does the leap and fire you are either dead or need to swallow two estus flasks and get back in front of him before he does it again.

Hope that made some sense. I have the timing down now so I actually kill him really early on. Sometimes before I even get near the first bell especially if I can wield the Drakesword. He will do the leap and fire, and you will die. You might get unlucky and miss his tail and he will never turn around and just smack you about with it, you will mistime after he breaths fire and get scorched.... Just get back up the stairs and try again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Be a touch wary on overleveling if you're playing online. You can only be invaded by at most someone 10% of your level higher than you and all levels below you. If you overlevel too fast, you'll probably be facing off against people with much better gear than you.

If you're not playing online, then go mad. Grind 20k souls by killing Balder Knights near the bonfire above Andre of Astora, then buy the Crest of Artorias from him. Head on down to Darkwood Forest and lure some hunters into mass suicide . Soon you'll have more than enough souls to level up, buy rakes of titanite to level your gear, with change to power up your pyro glove.

dont lure hunters into suicide, that's cheating :(

Joining the Forest Hunter Covenant is a good Covenant to join if you want to practice PvP without fear of losing anything. You also get souls for defeating people in the forest and also a random item to boot.

dont lure hunters into suicide, that's cheating :(

In the first playthrough, in a land where everything is coming at you to slaughter you, there is NO honour. Rain hundreds of arrows at things from a distance, exploit engine flaws, gank invaders, whatever. You can be noble in your second playthrough when you know what's coming to kill you!

Speaking of which, what's everyone's personal code of ethics in invading/being invaded?

For me it's:
    1. Always bow, unless it looks like they're going to rush you.
    2. No fishing for backstabs, and likewise, no hornet ring.
    3. No healing, unless they do it first.
    4. If they get engaged by mobs or other invaders, I back off and let them heal afterwards.
    5. No hiding.
    6. If ganking, all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

In the first playthrough, in a land where everything is coming at you to slaughter you, there is NO honour. Rain hundreds of arrows at things from a distance, exploit engine flaws, gank invaders, whatever. You can be noble in your second playthrough when you know what's coming to kill you!

Speaking of which, what's everyone's personal code of ethics in invading/being invaded?

For me it's:
    4. If they get engaged by mobs or other invaders, I back off and let them heal afterwards.
    5. No hiding.

1. If I'm invaded I wait for them to bow then bow in turn. If I'm the invader i slowly walk towards them until in range and let them hit first but never bow before the fight. (childish I know)
    2. Same, I'll take the wide open backstab as they heal/cast if I'm in the right spot.
    3. Same unless I'm outnumbered in the forest and want to try a suicide run at the host.
    4. This depends on if they were being an ass or not. If they fished for back stabs etc. I'll jump in and finish them.
    5. Hiding on occasion can be hilarious :)
    6. I have a level 15 anti-ganker for the parish. Watching an idiot sprint at you with his upgraded pyro flame only to get crushed is pretty satisfying.

For me it's:
    5. No hiding.

I have no ethics when being invaded. Heal as much as possible and try and kill them, thats it. I didn't design my character for PvP tough so it wasn't often I won an invasion scrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

In the first playthrough, in a land where everything is coming at you to slaughter you, there is NO honour. Rain hundreds of arrows at things from a distance, exploit engine flaws, gank invaders, whatever.

Yes and if playing the pc version use a memory editor to make your character unkillable and make it so you only have to hit a boss once for him to die!

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes and if playing the pc version use a memory editor to make your character unkillable and make it so you only have to hit a boss once for him to die!

Within reason :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Within reason :rolleyes:

Within reason would be not exploiting something that is clearly a bug in the game.

Advertisement