Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hey,

Anyone heard from Del? haven't seen a post ot TY fom him in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hey,

Anyone heard from Del? haven't seen a post ot TY fom him in a few days.

Don't worry ulinbac, he's away for a few days having some R&R in the sun. How dare he!!:P

murria wrote: »
    Don't worry ulinbac, he's away for a few days having some R&R in the sun. How dare he!!:P

How dare he is right:P! Was the light box not good enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

How dare he is right:P! Was the light box not good enough :D
    The light box doesn't have a golf course ;)

Hersheys wrote: »
    The light box doesn't have a golf course ;)

And, I may be wrong, but it doesn't give you a tan. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

bit better today. A friend called over last night and I made a great healthy dinner with a new recipe I was trying (can PM it if anyone wants). We drank a few cups of tea and had some cake so not great there re:avoiding bad stuff, but I did feel relaxed and can honestly say I didnt have much anxiety afterwards - stomach was fine and the tightness in my chest disappeared.

The rain this morning made me later for work than I'd hoped, and didnt exactly put me in good humour, but it's going ok. Some work went belly-up yesterday, which meant I had to think on my feet as to how to prioritise my workload now, and I just took a step back and decided to focus on the stuff that's important to me, and leave some other work that I'm assisting a colleague with till it actually suits me (I'm too nice for my own good sometimes and can sign up to too much). It's kind of liberating to just sideline it till I'm in a better place. Turns out another coworker is a bit stressed about a similar issue to me and we chatted there and got a few moans off our chests. We are liasing on a few projects and it can be frustrating having to depend on other people/work to their schedules when you really just want to get stuck in yourself. Tomorrow is a chaotic day that I'm not looking forward to, but plan to arrange times with everyone today that I can stick to and have some structure to my day instead of running around like a headless chicken.

I've a lot to get through today, and it's one of those "cant do stuff till end of the day" type things, so the feeling of having stuff hanging over me is frustrating and causing mild anxiety, but deep breaths and telling myself it's not the end of the world if I'm in a bit later than I'd like. Might miss yoga class tonight but could do some at home and that's just fine.

Made appointment with psychotherapist for a week's time too, so that's something.

stinkle wrote: »
    bit better today. A friend called over last night and I made a great healthy dinner with a new recipe I was trying (can PM it if anyone wants). We drank a few cups of tea and had some cake so not great there re:avoiding bad stuff, but I did feel relaxed and can honestly say I didnt have much anxiety afterwards - stomach was fine and the tightness in my chest disappeared.

The rain this morning made me later for work than I'd hoped, and didnt exactly put me in good humour, but it's going ok. Some work went belly-up yesterday, which meant I had to think on my feet as to how to prioritise my workload now, and I just took a step back and decided to focus on the stuff that's important to me, and leave some other work that I'm assisting a colleague with till it actually suits me (I'm too nice for my own good sometimes and can sign up to too much). It's kind of liberating to just sideline it till I'm in a better place. Turns out another coworker is a bit stressed about a similar issue to me and we chatted there and got a few moans off our chests. We are liasing on a few projects and it can be frustrating having to depend on other people/work to their schedules when you really just want to get stuck in yourself. Tomorrow is a chaotic day that I'm not looking forward to, but plan to arrange times with everyone today that I can stick to and have some structure to my day instead of running around like a headless chicken.

I've a lot to get through today, and it's one of those "cant do stuff till end of the day" type things, so the feeling of having stuff hanging over me is frustrating and causing mild anxiety, but deep breaths and telling myself it's not the end of the world if I'm in a bit later than I'd like. Might miss yoga class tonight but could do some at home and that's just fine.

Made appointment with psychotherapist for a week's time too, so that's something.

The rain threw everyone into a spin this morning so I'd say quite a few people (including me) were very stressed out arriving at work.

Sounds like you really have a handle on things Stinkle. You are doing everything you can to control your anxiety and not let it control you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

stinkle wrote: »

Excellent stuff. I admire how you are staying strong throughout stressful work life. It is easier to be kind and take of yourself when you have the time and aren't constantly having stress triggered by work situations/people, but you are doing it even with those obstacles. You have already found yoga so you know (others mightn't) that the time spent in yoga (not necessarily just physical asanas) pays back double because of the energetic benefits and the increase in clarity which makes the mind more efficient when it is called upon.

I'm happy to hear you are being bent but not broken!

I was thinking last night about getting a bike so I can cycle to formal yoga classes on saturday mornings at ardgillan castle. It would be a big step for me to make a commitment to any kind of class but I'm getting there I think. The social interaction (however limited) outside of a pub environment will be a plus and of course the yoga itself and cycling there and back will be very good for me.

I'm happy to hear you are being bent but not broken!
    Ugh I don't know about that today! Everything today has gone wrong. Thanks for the support though!

Quick question for other anxiety sufferers - does anyone else get anxious around conflict? Or assume that someone's negativity/aggression/upset is your fault? I do this a lot, it's something that I've worked with my therapist about and I know it's totally unsubstantiated. Nonetheless, I've been so low and stressed that on two occasions in the last week I've assumed that something Ive overheard is about me, and reacted with anxiety levels skyrocketing. The first one really precipitated the badness I've felt in the past two days. Just had an incident earlier, the person involved could genuinely be angry with half a dozen people, but I've convinced myself it's me and it's only a matter of time before they go nuts at me! I'm sitting here in work telling myself that if someone has an issue then it's up to them to speak to me about it, but it's not helping. I think cos a bully I've dealt with and still work with often "saves up" grievances to have a go at people about (usually challenging them weeks later about something they dont even remember), so I'm in the habit of not being comfortable in work and assuming that I'm causing problems.

Call Me Jimmy, the bike idea is a good one. It'll give you your own freedom and encourage you to go as often as you feel able for. I rely on public transport for my own class - In summer Id walk but they finish a bit late now and being dependent on the bus or luas is another reason why I've been bad at attending. It's another stress to deal with. About two weeks ago I had a bad experience on public transport with a horrible drunk person and I think it hasn't helped me in general :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Finally managed to get past the writing a CV step for looking for work. That took a while and lots of panic

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Finally managed to get past the writing a CV step for looking for work. That took a while and lots of panic

That's great, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea stinkle, my anxiety during work meant that any time anything at all went wrong I was holding my breath waiting for it come back to some **** up I had made. It was a terrible 6 months for me. I also felt completely incapable of doing my job, towards the end of the contract I used to go in drunk and stoned after lunch because it all became too much and I gave up.

A bully in a workplace is cancerous, there was one in my last job but he was too junior to do any real widescale damage.

Is it as bad as it is now most of the time? Would a change of scenery, or a different job (I know, current climate etc. there is still dole though!) be a good shout?

I don't think jobs lower down the ladder are as stressful, that's why I don't want to climb a single rung past the bottom one in terms of work.

Oh thank goodness I really thought I was cracking up earlier. Got the head down in the afternoon and am happy to report I ticked everything off my to-do list. I was so irrational earlier, and did ask if that issue from a few days ago affected anything and was assured all was ok. I've been so stressed that I have been making silly mistakes and am now convinced I've done lots and lots of things wrong. Tomorrow is another day though, and a bit closer to the weekend.

No it isnt that bad all the time, I try to avoid the area where the bullies are, and so far its been great. I think thats why I went into overdrive as I dont want things at the workplace where I'm happy to turn sour. I do like it there and am happy enough. Job has it's own stresses but by and large I can handle that, and enjoy the buzz of being busy. Its dealing with people and not being in control of certain aspects that get me. I gotta say I do resent the bullying situation though as I wouldnt be forced to move around so much and would be more settled.

I;m applying like crazy for new jobs but no word on anything yet :( Interesting point re: jobs lower down the ladder. I found I got it in the neck anytime I was the junior one, and have been longing for the day when I'm more senior/can be my own boss as much as possible!

Gonna go home, have a relaxing evening as much as possible and think an early night is in order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hi All,

Had a great week in Spain, playing golf, swimming, and lapping up the sunshine. Should keep me going for a while or at least until my Christmas trip to Spain.

It was strange arriving back to low temperatures of 16 degrees, and strong winds, still I guess I will adjust to the Autumnal weather over the next few days.

Hope you guys have been doing well and looking after each other while I was away:)

Stay well,

Best wishes always,

Del:)

Glad you had fun Del :)

Hi Guys,

Just before I pop off to sleep I had any idea to share: These are 5 of my warning signs that my anxiety is flaring up. I will add more and my solutions over the coming days but just a starter. Feel free to add if you wish.

In no particular order

1. Temper- My temper flares up big time. I dont act out but I can shake with anger and it starts to feel good
    2. Irritable - Very easily irritated
    3. Critical - Become overly critical and judgemental
    4. Negative thoughts - Not the normal ones
    5. Libido - Drops way down.

Nite,

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

Got a letter for another appointment with psychiatrist. No idea why :confused: Already went a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

lost my referral letter for galway sevices tmrw! will this be a problem,already nervous about it enough.ive noticed it really helps my problem when i take on the odd occasion one of my partners xanax,my anxiety and panic recedes but i dont feel high or anything just normal again.it makes me so much more positive about my situation. but i am nervous about saying this as i dont want them to think im seeking drugs i just think a small script might help while i try to adapt to an new ssri.i know most docs are so against benzos and i understand the concerns but for someone genuine like me it could turn my life around along with therapy,diet,exercise.ive tried many ssri without success

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

lost my referral letter for galway sevices tmrw! will this be a problem,already nervous about it enough.ive noticed it really helps my problem when i take on the odd occasion one of my partners xanax,my anxiety and panic recedes but i dont feel high or anything just normal again.it makes me so much more positive about my situation. but i am nervous about saying this as i dont want them to think im seeking drugs i just think a small script might help while i try to adapt to an new ssri.i know most docs are so against benzos and i understand the concerns but for someone genuine like me it could turn my life around along with therapy,diet,exercise.ive tried many ssri without success

Don't worry about the letter for one. And as for the anxiety/panic, explain to the doctor how much it affects you in the short term at times and ask advice. Feck knows if they'll medicate but at least you'll have told someone and it'll be in your file for future reference - hope it goes well..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Back from doctor.. Hilariously the breathing issue i am having is not some sort of flu but actually stress related muscular problems, go figure.. I am not feeling very good about the idea of a masseuse anywhere near me.. :o Have to brave myself to call work now and let them know i'm coming back.. :(

• Advertisement

Back from doctor.. Hilariously the breathing issue i am having is not some sort of flu but actually stress related muscular problems, go figure.. I am not feeling very good about the idea of a masseuse anywhere near me.. :o Have to brave myself to call work now and let them know i'm coming back.. :(

Could you expand a bit on the muscular problem please?

How are you coping with the idea of going back? If it stresses you out then will it add to the muscular stress?

Arra sure well used to vicious circles. The alternative, not working, is worse. Currently applying cream to my back using a wooden spoon wrapped with cling film!!

Could you expand a bit on the muscular problem please?
    I get it too ulinbac. Well I think I do. I get a stress related muscular pain that causes me to think I've breathing issues. Don't wanna steal your thunder grem ;)

I think it's when we tense up our muscles contract, and when our muscles contract we don't feel like we're getting enough air, so we try to over compensate and over breathe but that makes it worse. Its a vicious cycle. I find breathing exercises and relaxation techniques, along with muscle relaxants and the gel rub, really helps.

Look up hyperventillation.

Great job on going to the doctor - how did it go? Do you feel it helped to talk it through? Manage to string a few words together?

So I had a second appointment with the therapist I'm working through the CSA stuff with. Even though I was more open with her than I'd ever been with anyone before, I didn't feel dread walking out, I felt relief.

Doc was fine, managed to talk a bit. Should keep me going until next psych appointment, physical pain still very present but least i have a better idea what it is..

Delighted to hear your therapy appointment went so well.. Long may that continue :)

Doc was fine, managed to talk a bit. Should keep me going until next psych appointment, physical pain still very present but least i have a better idea what it is..

Delighted to hear your therapy appointment went so well.. Long may that continue :)
    I don't know how long I will see her for - if, as I suspect, my issues are not as deep rooted as I thought, I won't need long, intensive sessions. Just maintenance sessions.

Hersheys wrote: »
    I get it too ulinbac. Well I think I do. I get a stress related muscular pain that causes me to think I've breathing issues. Don't wanna steal your thunder grem ;)

I think it's when we tense up our muscles contract, and when our muscles contract we don't feel like we're getting enough air, so we try to over compensate and over breathe but that makes it worse. Its a vicious cycle. I find breathing exercises and relaxation techniques, along with muscle relaxants and the gel rub, really helps.

Look up hyperventillation.

I get it too so was wondering. I dont take relaxants but find on chest and back day in the gym it helps loads as it would be stretching out the muscle. Does the gel rub work? Which one do you use? My toghtness can last up to 2.5 weeks but its stems from tearing the cartillage in 4 of my ribs this time last year :(

• Advertisement

I use one I get on script from my GP (difene). Your best bet is to go to the chemist and say you've muscle strain as there are some very good non-prescription ones out there, I just don't want to give out medical advice :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement