Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

token56 wrote: »
    I've been really struggling lately. I've seen my consultant recently enough and the last times I've been with her we have agreed to increase my medication. It has helped in that I am not getting as emotionally distressed as I had been but the dark thoughts I am having are still there and I can't shake them. It is really impacting my motivation in college which has just been a disaster the last year. I've had to take several breaks and I just can't seem to get back into it.

I keep being told not to believe my own logic when I am feeling so low but the problem is even when things are going relatively well I still have fleeting thoughts of suicide and the logic behind it is still sound. I feel like things are just getting closer to the edge and I just don't know how to pull myself back. I really don't want another stay in hospital, I'm just getting more and more lost as the days goes on.
    Depending on how recently your dosage was increased, the full effect of the new dosage may not have taken effect yet. Keep in touch with your consultant or GP about this aspect.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BagOfNerves

Hi everyone, I've recently been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. Im having constant panic attacks and Im in fear all the time. Basically i was wondering if anyone else on this suffers with GAD and if so, does it get any easier? :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Hi everyone, I've recently been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. Im having constant panic attacks and Im in fear all the time. Basically i was wondering if anyone else on this suffers with GAD and if so, does it get any easier? :-(

I don't have GAD but I do suffer from a lot of anxiety in daily life. There are plenty of things you can do to improve your life and outlook. Even simple things like investing time in a hobby, or exercising, or having a better diet, etc. Will help you. Always have a goal, and try to stay as positive as you can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I got started on Fluoxetine earlier this week and at the moment I feel extremely energetic and have a lot of racing thoughts. Sometimes it's difficult to think properly due to how much is going through my head. Is this normal for SSRI's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I don't have GAD but I do suffer from a lot of anxiety in daily life. There are plenty of things you can do to improve your life and outlook. Even simple things like investing time in a hobby, or exercising, or having a better diet, etc. Will help you. Always have a goal, and try to stay as positive as you can. :)

+ if you have a dog , it is a great way to get out of the house and say hello to a few strangers. Walking is good exercise for both you and the dog. It also helps get the positive chemicals working in the brain.
    One does not need to make a special effort to get dressed up, just get off your ass and go! I don't really care that I look like a windswept beach bum.
    If you don't have a dog, borrow a neighbours dog, I am sure your neighbour would only be delighted to get Rex out for a walk.
    Dogs are great companions, I was out twice on the beach today with doggy, met some very nice people on my walk, including the yummy mummy group who were out jogging.
    I also had a little chat with doggy about a few things that are bothering me. Better to get it out than bottle it up!!!!
    Honestly it works, we also enjoyed the sea air and the sunshine and had very hearty appetites for lunch. I certainly find I am eating more healthily and getting my old bones , joints and muscles working again.
    Furthermore I am beginning to get more restful sleep at night, reducing the need for long naps during the day.
    I know it is raining in some parts of the country, heck, it is only rain, get out there and walk for 30/40 mins this pm, bring the dog, borrow a dog, and see how many people you interact with during your walk. It does not need to be a long conversation, the dog will be a great ice breaker for you. Leave your anxiety at home, and see how you feel when you get back home.
    Anyone up for the challenge? Looking forward to your posts. Before you say or think it, no Del has not flipped! Just do it !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

+ if you have a dog , it is a great way to get out of the house and say hello to a few strangers. Walking is good exercise for both you and the dog. It also helps get the positive chemicals working in the brain.
    One does not need to make a special effort to get dressed up, just get off your ass and go! I don't really care that I look like a windswept beach bum.
    If you don't have a dog, borrow a neighbours dog, I am sure your neighbour would only be delighted to get Rex out for a walk.
    Dogs are great companions, I was out twice on the beach today with doggy, met some very nice people on my walk, including the yummy mummy group who were out jogging.
    I also had a little chat with doggy about a few things that are bothering me. Better to get it out than bottle it up!!!!
    Honestly it works, we also enjoyed the sea air and the sunshine and had very hearty appetites for lunch. I certainly find I am eating more healthily and getting my old bones , joints and muscles working again.
    Furthermore I am beginning to get more restful sleep at night, reducing the need for long naps during the day.
    I know it is raining in some parts of the country, heck, it is only rain, get out there and walk for 30/40 mins this pm, bring the dog, borrow a dog, and see how many people you interact with during your walk. It does not need to be a long conversation, the dog will be a great ice breaker for you. Leave your anxiety at home, and see how you feel when you get back home.
    Anyone up for the challenge? Looking forward to your posts. Before you say or think it, no Del has not flipped! Just do it !:D

I was already out there while you were setting the challenge. Just back from a walk along the Dodder with my furry son Murray. Its a lovely blustery evening and we met loads of other walkers, stopped to chat twice and would need the clicker to count how many times I said hello. He is a whippet cross and he runs likethe wind, it makes my spirit soar to see how much happiness he gets chasing a ball. Feel lovely and relaxed now, pity I have to get up and make dinner after this cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

today was good, very little anxiety other than first thing this morning. Was busy all day and that helped. Ended up teaming up with a friendly person on a project earlier and that really helped. Was convinced I'd booked yoga for later but turns out I havent :( am a bit glad though cos can relax at home and make a decent dinner instead of running around like a mad eejit.

Found out my job might finish earlier than expected - which is great as I'm clearly not enjoying it, but of course there's money issues as well as having less time to get things in order for a handover (and find a new job!). But I'll have to manage. If it's true then I have only a short few weeks to go... :eek:

I fully agree with the posts about going for a walk with the dog! I need a trip home to the parents and the dog won't know what's hit him :) the unconditional love and affection is the best, I wish it could be bottled.

murria wrote: »
    I was already out there while you were setting the challenge. Just back from a walk along the Dodder with my furry son Murray. Its a lovely blustery evening and we met loads of other walkers, stopped to chat twice and would need the clicker to count how many times I said hello. He is a whippet cross and he runs likethe wind, it makes my spirit soar to see how much happiness he gets chasing a ball. Feel lovely and relaxed now, pity I have to get up and make dinner after this cuppa.

Well done Murria!

I am just back from another walk with Doggy, it has been absolutely lashing rain in Kerry since 5.30pm. Only a couple of souls in the driving rain coming in from the Atlantic.

Nonetheless I feel alive and relaxed. Doggy has gone to bed, so have I:)

stinkle wrote: »
    today was good, very little anxiety other than first thing this morning. Was busy all day and that helped. Ended up teaming up with a friendly person on a project earlier and that really helped. Was convinced I'd booked yoga for later but turns out I havent :( am a bit glad though cos can relax at home and make a decent dinner instead of running around like a mad eejit.

Found out my job might finish earlier than expected - which is great as I'm clearly not enjoying it, but of course there's money issues as well as having less time to get things in order for a handover (and find a new job!). But I'll have to manage. If it's true then I have only a short few weeks to go... :eek:

I fully agree with the posts about going for a walk with the dog! I need a trip home to the parents and the dog won't know what's hit him :) the unconditional love and affection is the best, I wish it could be bottled.

Well work appears to be sorting itself out. Time now to focus on job hunting. I am certain your qualifications and current job experience will set you well for other employers to value your knowledge.

Look forward to your next visit home, I suspect your dogs legs may get worn down by a few inches!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Never underestimate the healing power of a dog. They are so intuitive it's amazing. When I'm low the dog knows to just sit at my feet or cuddle in. If I've a pain she puts her head where my pain is. And there is something so therapeutic about throwing a ball for her. And stroking her.

I am going to go give the dog a hug.

• Advertisement

Hersheys wrote: »
    Never underestimate the healing power of a dog. They are so intuitive it's amazing. When I'm low the dog knows to just sit at my feet or cuddle in. If I've a pain she puts her head where my pain is. And there is something so therapeutic about throwing a ball for her. And stroking her.

I am going to go give the dog a hug.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I feel the need to go and buy a dog tomorrow :o

Buuuuuut instead I will book my doctors appointment and a close friend recommended a counselor that I will call up and see if I can make an appointment. So daunting but it will be worth it in the end...... hopefully :)

I feel the need to go and buy a dog tomorrow :o

Buuuuuut instead I will book my doctors appointment and a close friend recommended a counselor that I will call up and see if I can make an appointment. So daunting but it will be worth it in the end...... hopefully :)

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I got started on Fluoxetine earlier this week and at the moment I feel extremely energetic and have a lot of racing thoughts. Sometimes it's difficult to think properly due to how much is going through my head. Is this normal for SSRI's?
    Flouxetine (like most SSRIs) can take up to 6-8 weeks to kick in for some people. I'm a bit surprised/worried that you are feeling any effect so fast, tbh.

From some of your other posts in this and/or the Let's All Laugh thread, some of the symptoms you described did not sound typical of unipolar depression.

I think it would be a good idea for you to keep in close touch with your GP/consultant regarding any effects or side-effects you may be experiencing.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

If it is difficult to see your GP , perhaps have a word with the dispensing pharmacist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Battling, battling, spoke with hr numpty yesterday. Put off meeting. Completely unable for that.. Tension still tearing muscles in my back.. But on couch with the dog now. Goin to try a stroll perhaps later.

What did the HR numpty have to say?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Was a bit surprised - obviously hadn't been kept in the loop.. I smell a job hunt coming.. Very grateful for the medication currently - how are you?

As in she didn't know you had been summoned to Dublin?

I'm okay. Anxious but I think that's more extrinsic factors (stressful times) than head stuff.

How are you other than work stuff and pain?

She knew, but had no idea why. Bit odd for a manager don't you think?

Besides work stuff am ok, pain fairly clouding a lot of things but that's better than the head games with work..

I'm trying meditation properly this time.. It's not bad, i wore out my cynicism finally.

• Advertisement

Embrace the power of mindfulness ;) I'm putting aside 15 mins a day (usually in bed so that nobody stares) where I listen to my guided meditation and I'm finding my sleep is much much better.

Are you missing work regularly because of it?

Have you spoken to the crew in Dublin about it? Any chance they're just offering extra support to you?

Argh!. :P

Haven't missed much work but i'm not feeling great about remaining there.

Crew in dublin can't be offering support if they haven't managed to communicate the basics to each other.

Maybe all Dublin folk are inherently inept? ;)

And not a dubliner out of the three plebs in the office!. Ah well off today so painkillers and tea for me.. Oh and dog hugs.. Might even make it down to the sea.

I do like a good cup of tea.

Enjoy your walk - fresh air can do the world of good!

I will eventually get my ass in gear and venture outside. Painkillers doing nothing so perhaps walkies might help..

Hope everyone else is doing ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

just had a nice lunch in advance of my psychotherapy session. Today and yesterday have both been good, it's really strange. Nothing has changed much to cause this other than having a bit more control over stuff that;s going on. The irrational thoughts that I'd annoyed people last week came to nothing (if anyone was annoyed I didnt hear about it!). Will be meeting my boss tomorrow to talk about regular stuff and I am tempted to have my say about working with bullies. Will talk to therapist about this and how best I can assert myself...

Sorry to hear your work situation is a bit up in the air gremlinertia - hope you're coping ok

I will eventually get my ass in gear and venture outside. Painkillers doing nothing so perhaps walkies might help..

Hope everyone else is doing ok..

Gremlinertia, did you do anything about a finding a massage therapist? I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago, all brought on by stress and anxiety, I have never known pain like it. I had great success with Bowen Technique, it's a non-invasive series of movements that can be done over light clothing. Meant to say it to you the last time you were on as it might be something you would find useful. As if my word wasn't good enough, even Bear Grylls gets it done. :p

I also treat myself to a session of vibromuscular harmonisation technique every now and then, which is a more vigorous version of Bowen, but is the nicest body work I have ever had done. I always have a big release of emotion after both Bowen and VHT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi guys, Need help, again...
    My friend asked me to go somewhere with him. It is somewhere I actually kind of want to go. I haven't seen him for years so nervous about meeting him again. But even more nervous about just going out. Going somewhere. I can't even explain why. But I'm always scared of going places. And I haven't been anywhere for so long. Just the thought of it terrifies me. I want to go through with it. Just to be proud that I did it. Maybe I'd even enjoy it. But I know likely-hood is, I'll back out. I feel there's no hope for me at all. I can't go anywhere with anyone. The anxiety has gotten really bad.
    If anyone has any advice that would be great. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi guys, Need help, again...
    My friend asked me to go somewhere with him. It is somewhere I actually kind of want to go. I haven't seen him for years so nervous about meeting him again. But even more nervous about just going out. Going somewhere. I can't even explain why. But I'm always scared of going places. And I haven't been anywhere for so long. Just the thought of it terrifies me. I want to go through with it. Just to be proud that I did it. Maybe I'd even enjoy it. But I know likely-hood is, I'll back out. I feel there's no hope for me at all. I can't go anywhere with anyone. The anxiety has gotten really bad.
    If anyone has any advice that would be great. Thanks.

Hi phi3,

Firstly go to GP or counsellor and talk about this!

Second, if you don't go you will make it worse!. Agrophobia is a big thing and something my shrink made sure didn't happen to me. I'm lucky that my stubborness literally forces me along with a sense of competition against GAD not to lose. If you keep making reasons not to, it will get more difficult every time!

Third and finally!! You want to go and you are looking forward to it, so just bloody well go! :p That might sound harsh, but for me a big kick in the a**e is needed sometimes. Remember, anxiety CAN'T hurt you. You WILL not die. You WILL feel uncomfortable before, during and after but you will feel worse if you don't!

The more you do this type of thing the easier it gets!:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement