Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda called over crying child on bus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Seems a bit odd to automatically assume the driver is a pr*ck rather than give him the benefit of the doubt.

But what about giving the mother the benefit of the doubt? We don't know why the child was crying so realistically we can't properly take sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The video has been taken down. Has anyone found another link for it so I can see what you're all on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Is the garda going to stop the baby from crying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

lahalane wrote: »
    But what about giving the mother the benefit of the doubt? We don't know why the child was crying so realistically we can't properly take sides.

50 minutes of the child crying and she does nothing, makes no effort to comfort the child and shows not a jot of consideration for other passengers. Parenting lessons seem more appropriate than giving her the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Is the garda going to stop the baby from crying?

No but if there's concerns for the child's well being they can do something hope social services have a look at this

• Advertisement

50 minutes of the child crying and she does nothing, makes no effort to comfort the child and shows not a jot of consideration for other passengers. Parenting lessons seem more appropriate than giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe the child was sulking because it wanted a toy and she didn't buy one. There's so many stupid reasons why a child could be crying. The child may have been crying for 50 minutes but all we saw in that video is the last 8. She might have been trying to comfort it before that. Even outside of those 50 minutes, what if she's a great mother and always tends to the child but she was having a bad day and was sick of the child sulking. The thing is, we don't know so it's impossible to come to any conclusion of who was right and who was wrong without knowing all the facts, something we do not have access to.

I'm not siding with the mother by the way, I'm absolutely neutral because there's no way of justly picking a side in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I was on a bus Éireann bus before where the driver had to tell a woman to bring her screaming child down the back of the bus and keep it quiet or she would be asked to leave the bus. I couldn't help agreeing with the driver as the sound of the child roaring was just awful for other passengers never mind for someone trying to concentrate on driving a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Maybe the child was sulking because it wanted a toy and she didn't buy one. There's so many stupid reasons why a child could be crying. The child may have been crying for 50 minutes but all we saw in that video is the last 8. She might have been trying to comfort it before that. Even outside of those 50 minutes, what if she's a great mother and always tends to the child but she was having a bad day and was sick of the child sulking. The thing is, we don't know so it's impossible to come to any conclusion of who was right and who was wrong without knowing all the facts, something we do not have access to.

I'm not siding with the mother by the way, I'm absolutely neutral because there's no way of justly picking a side in my opinion.

Kids have different types of cries though. That particular kid wasn't having a tantrum. It wasn't an angry or petulant cry, to my ear anyway. That sounded like 'I'm sick and exhausted and I need some comfort' to me. A toddler throwing a strop in a supermarket tends to go at it with a lot more energy. And get bored quicker :)

Kids have different types of cries though. That particular kid wasn't having a tantrum. It wasn't an angry or petulant cry, to my ear anyway. That sounded like 'I'm sick and exhausted and I need some comfort' to me. A toddler throwing a strop in a supermarket tends to go at it with a lot more energy. And get bored quicker :)

After crying for 50 minutes I reckon I'd be sick and exhausted too. I just don't think we can pick sides based on assumptions no matter how accurate you think they may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

She had the responsibility to the rest of the people on the bus to at least try to stop the 50 minutes of screaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I was on a bus Éireann bus before where the driver had to tell a woman to bring her screaming child down the back of the bus and keep it quiet or she would be asked to leave the bus. I couldn't help agreeing with the driver as the sound of the child roaring was just awful for other passengers never mind for someone trying to concentrate on driving a bus.

I was on an early morning BE bus to Dublin when two teenage girls boarded and were talking/ shrieking very loudly (I'm not 50 BTW and have young children myself!) and playing with their phone ringtones. It wasn't long before the driver asked them to quieten down or leave, much to the agreement of the other passengers who just wanted to snooze at that early hour.

In this particular case I think the driver behaved in a reasonable manner, driving a large vehicle with a lot of passengers is a tough job, demanding concentration and patience in dealing with the public and other road users. The crying child was a huge distraction and distressing for everyone on board, not least the child and mother. My wife and I often bring our children on public transport and there have been times when one of them might act up/ throw a tantrum or whatever- it's a fact of life for every parent. In a supermarket or other open space you might have more options as to how you might deal with the matter, but obviously on a moving vehicle your options are limited- you try and pacify the child or you get off at the next stop if matters aren't improving. In this situation I would have disembarked (I have done this) -as a matter of common courtesy and consideration to the other passengers. There is no way I would want to be listening to that racket for 50 minutes and I'd rather get off a few stops earlier and walk than allow this to happen. Others opinions will differ but when you travel on public transport you have to consider other passengers, doesn't always work out that way I know, but it does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Link not working anyone got a live one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

After crying for 50 minutes I reckon I'd be sick and exhausted too. I just don't think we can pick sides based on assumptions no matter how accurate you think they may be.

It's not an assumption that the child was crying his heart out and the mother did nothing about it, it's a fact. Doesn't matter why he was crying at the end of the day. Letting a kid cry for that long is neglect.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Link not working anyone got a live one?

Cheers:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Children under the age of 15 shouldn't be allowed on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I haven't seen the video but I'm assuming the pram was in the pram area of the bus, near the driver. The driver was probably (understandably) stressed out by this screaming child if it was going on for an extended period. The driver has to concentrate on driving the bus. He has more than one passenger. He is responsible for the safety of ALL the passengers on the bus and other road users. Imaging driving yourself while a stranger's child screams for 50 mins straight? How freaked out would you be? Personally I wouldn't have made it that long.

Also, how about the welfare of all the other passengers? Passengers trying to get home or go to work or whatever? Is it fair that they also have to endure this? Sure it is unfortunate for the mother (I am not going to make judgement on her parenting having not seen the video and not knowing the woman) but the safety of others should be paramount. She should have been told to leave the bus earlier.

I think the driver was, not only well within his rights to do this, but he was, in my opinion, obliged to either tell the mother to leave or seek help. Simply on health and safety grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

All you had to do was look at Youtube, but here's the link anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXdDv7LUgqg

Thanks for that, desperate and the language she used towards the Guard was very colourful. Glad to see are Taxpayers money getting well spent?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hootanany wrote: »
    Glad to see are Taxpayers money getting well spent?

I don't quite understand. Can you elaborate on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Was it one of those free prams that asylums seekers get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭aob85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXdDv7LUgqg

Heres the video (shudders)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

TL:DR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You can only imagine what kind of moralizing, weirdo twat went to the trouble of recording that and putting it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭aob85

The original video is gone. thats why i posted this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The creep who filmed this on his phone makes me very happy that I don't use buses anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭shootermacg

aob85 wrote: »

Here's the video (shudders)

Baby in crying shocker! You can see earlier in this train-wreck, that the kid does not want to be touched.
    Go buy a pair of earphones, if you want to block out the world! That bus driver should get the sack.

OP stop posting crap on boards, because its almost the visual equivalent of a baby crying, only worse because you should know what you are doing, also while you're at it don't go for a career in politics.

Man... some people hate the world.
    Oh and I fixed your post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What the hell is the story with the white woman/black man comment on that video? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Why is this even a thing? What kind of weirdo calls the police over a crying baby? What did he expect the police to do? Give the baby Calpol and sing him lullabies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Why is this even a thing? What kind of weirdo calls the police over a crying baby? What did he expect the police to do? Give the baby Calpol and sing him lullabies?

Children's welfare always suddenly becomes a burning issue when they have the temerity to disturb you on your commute.

Advertisement