Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda called over crying child on bus

Options
  • 03-10-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

Surprised not to have seen a thread on this today..

The Gardai were called to the number 66 bus to deal with a mother whose child had been screaming crying for fifteen minutes.
    The driver called the Gardai as he had enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGolYIl_Cgc

Was the driver right to call the Gardai? Or is this something petty?

I feel like Adrian Kennedy now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

It was uncalled for.

*tumble weed*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

fussyonion wrote: »

I feel like Adrian Kennedy now

Adrian is gone , you're living in the past , quit living in the past!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

"if you don't behave i'm going to call the police."

Taking the old mammy quote to a new level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Depends why the babog was crying I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Yes.

That child doesn't sound right at all.

I got about 30 seconds in, no way I'd be listening to that for another 8 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

About 15 years ago I was on a plane flight from Heathrow to Dublin with a couple who's baby was screaming it's head off for the whole flight. They were in the seats in front of me :(
    I didn't call the Gardai or even the Air Hostess/Steward - ****e happens from time to time - teething etc.
    And you do sound like that dope Kennedy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Someone is going to have to explain this to me because I am lost??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gibney91

The child was crying for 50 mins not 15 from what I heard the bus driver asked was the child okay, the mother wasn't paying attention to the child and talking to her friend. From what I seen the child was completely neglected but I could be wrong as I wasn't there only watching a video online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Most drivers don't call the Garda for people playing crap music out loud or drinking or openly taking drugs on buses,but this driver has no bother calling them over a crying child.Bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I know this is annoying but crying babies, just like pervasive body odour and cheky kids are one of the hazards of public transport.

It isn't always the right thing to attend to a crying child. Admittedly it seems rude not to forego that principle as a once-off when other passengers' mental composure is offended.

I think the mom could have been less rude and the bus driver could have been less of a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

As usual the comments are more interesting than the actual youtube video
    go up to blanchardstown s.c. around the mc. donalds area and u will see that these ****** children go absolutely crazy !! and the parents do nothing !!! this country never wanted **** to come here and its now destroyed because these **** are complete racist dogs and they are destroying this country that was once so beautiful!!my parents never grew up amongst such **** !! so y shud we ???

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

I know this is annoying but crying babies, just like pervasive body odour and cheky kids are one of the hazards of public transport.

It isn't always the right thing to attend to a crying child. Admittedly it seems rude not to forego that principle as a once-off when other passengers' mental composure is offended.

I think the mom could have been less rude and the bus driver could have been less of a dick.

Ah thats no fun, pick a side :P

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I initially came to this with a defensive "babies cry, you're on a bus ffs" attitude. But having watched the whole thing I'm with the driver. I feel he called the guards with the babies welfare in mind, not just because he'd "had enough".

If a parent can ignore an obviously distressed baby for so long in public - imagine how they treat then behind closed doors. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

She seems to be ignoring the child altogether for several minutes which is odd. Not even an attempt to calm him.

Definitely right to call the guards if only so they can have a quick word to make sure everything alright (as in the people are the kid parents etc... ) because they weren't acting like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

returnNull wrote: »
    As usual the comments are more interesting than the actual youtube video

Avoid the YouTube comments section, in its entirety. How anyone could stand over any of the comments made there is beyond me. They're normally behind a vauge username too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

God, that cry would go through your brain!! How could those two just stand/sit there and take that?? Surely if they at least half tried to distract the child or picked him up or done something it would have been better. At least people could appreciate they were trying and that there was nothing they could do. Leaving a child become distressed like that can't be good for him, that would be borderline abusive IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Creepy bastard recording it on the phone. Here's a child crying, better video this shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I initially came to this with a defensive "babies cry, you're on a bus ffs" attitude. But having watched the whole thing I'm with the driver. I feel he called the guards with the babies welfare in mind, not just because he'd "had enough".

If a parent can ignore an obviously distressed baby for so long in public - imagine how they treat then behind closed doors. Sickening.

Agreed.
    Watched the whole video and it does appear that the child was crying for 50 minutes.
    We have all had to put up with our own kids having tantrums but that's not what that was about.

It was the way she completely ignored her own child.
    Nobody I know would let their child scream like that for 50 mins on a public bus.
    If the child was having a hissy and you were trying to implement the "ignoring bad behaviour" (which I totally agree with btw)you get off the damn bus and WALK while ignoring him????

I think the bus driver was spot on calling AGS.

How many times have people said after the fact of something bad happening to a child(and I'm not saying that its the case here)"Why didn't anybody say anything, do anything?"
    If the mother was so completely non-plussed by that situation in public, I dread to think how she would react in private.

Also, the youtube comments?
    Idiots will always be idiots.

I didn't notice any of those fools make mention of the black lady who gave it to the mother at the end of the clip ;)

Fair play to her!

humbert wrote: »
    Creepy bastard recording it on the phone. Here's a child crying, better video this shit.
    Hubert - you are totally correct. WTF planet does he/she come from. Maybe it would be too much effort to try and help/assist. As I posted earlier, while on the flight from Heathrow had an unpleasant experience with a screaming baby, several people, me included tried to pacify the screaming baby, unfortunately to no avail. TBH his parents were more upset than most of the passengers, excluding a handful which included me. Thankfully the doors of the plane were securely locked as I did consider baling out at one point :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Is there a link to the video so that I can leave a judgemental comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Rho b wrote: »
    Hubert - you are totally correct. WTF planet does he/she come from. Maybe it would be too much effort to try and help/assist. As I posted earlier, while on the flight from Heathrow had an unpleasant experience with a screaming baby, several people, me included tried to pacify the screaming baby, unfortunately to no avail. TBH his parents were more upset than most of the passengers, excluding a handful which included me. Thankfully the doors of the plane were securely locked as I did consider baling out at one point :eek:

on a plane, the thing that will make babies cry more than anything is the effect of changing in air pressure on their ears, and there's pretty much nothing that can be done until they're back on the ground. if the baby would suck on a pacifier it may help, but if the pain is too much, then that's not going to work. just bring earplugs!

on a plane, the thing that will make babies cry more than anything is the effect of changing in air pressure on their ears, and there's pretty much nothing that can be done until they're back on the ground. if the baby would suck on a pacifier it may help, but if the pain is too much, then that's not going to work. just bring earplugs!
    In fairness I think we all understood the situation. It was not the babies fault, only a natural reaction, however extremely stressful for the helpless adults witnessing his discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Rho b wrote: »
    In fairness I think we all understood the situation. It was not the babies fault, only a natural reaction, however extremely stressful for the helpless adults witnessing his discomfort.

in comparison to the short clip you see above, the kid isn't even picked up out of the pram. a hug could've done wonders in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, have to agree - I'm not going to say it was harrowing or whatnot, but a little distressing on top of EXTREMELY annoying (and imagine 50 mins of it after a sh*t day at work in the awful weather we had yesterday?). That could actually put the driver's focus off also, and he is kind of operating a vehicle with up to 92 people on it.

The child literally cried so much that he vomited on himself and in his own mouth, and the mother still just ignored it as if nothing was happening. That's pretty awful altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

in comparison to the short clip you see above, the kid isn't even picked up out of the pram. a hug could've done wonders in that situation.

Bit dodgy for the mam (who looks like she was standing) to safely pick the child out of the pram on a moving bus.It's easy enough to lose your balance just walking down the aisle to get off sometimes.Could have gave the kid a soother or something though.

Still very extreme to get the Garda involved,I've seen passengers report people smoking heroin and urinating on board to drivers before,and they couldn't have given less of a shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bit dodgy for the mam (who looks like she was standing) to safely pick the child out of the pram on a moving bus.It's easy enough to lose your balance just walking down the aisle to get off sometimes.Could have gave the kid a soother or something though.
    I'm sure the bus came to an occasional stop over those 50 minutes, both for traffic lights and... bus stop (of which there seems to be one ever 20 metres in Dublin, but that's another rant for another day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Dublin Bus drivers are a law unto themselves. Reminds me of an incident when I was waiting for the last bus on the quays last winter. Driver pulls up a few minutes early but doesn't open the door until it says 1 minute on the board. Guy in front of me says something like "at last, you let us on", and the driver calls the guards. When they arrive he goes on about not being spoken to like that by the guy and won't leave until the he is removed. The rest of the us supports the driver but the driver continues to refuse to leave until the guy gets off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Was the lady black with the crying baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He'll probably regret calling the Gardai, but you have to account for what state of mind you'd be in after 50 mins of that noise in traffic.

I don't know what the best solution was for him, to be honest, I just know I'd have to get off that bus, that's disturbing, and for 50 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Was the lady black with the crying baby?

I'd say she's black all the time. What an odd question.

Advertisement