Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda called over crying child on bus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Grayditch wrote: »
    He'll probably regret calling the Gardai, but you have to account for what state of mind you'd be in after 50 mins of that noise in traffic.

I don't know what the best solution was for him, to be honest, I just know I'd have to get off that bus, that's disturbing, and for 50 mins.

It'll be worth emailing DB tomorrow to see what the story is, hopefully their cameras record audio.

At the end of the day - don't want to listen to a baby crying all day? Don't become a bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Rascasse wrote: »

At the end of the day - don't want to listen to a baby crying all day? Don't become a bus driver.

I'm not sure it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Rho b wrote: »
    About 15 years ago I was on a plane flight from Heathrow to Dublin with a couple who's baby was screaming it's head off for the whole flight. They were in the seats in front of me :(
    I didn't call the Gardai or even the Air Hostess/Steward - ****e happens from time to time - teething etc.
    And you do sound like that dope Kennedy ;)

count yourself lucky you were only travelling London - Dublin. Last month I flew from NY to Dublin and I wish I was messing but the baby sat in front of me was crying extremely loud for 5 hours straight. The ringing in my ears are still present til this day

I'm not sure it's that simple.

We'll see. If the CCTV doesn't show this woman abusing her child then the driver has to answer for his actions in calling the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd say she's black all the time. What an odd question.

Okay?

I was just would the driver call the police if she was white?

I've seen many a crying baby on a bus and never have I seen the police called, I just think it's odd.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

I've seen many a crying baby on a bus and never have I seen the police called

Were they on the same bus as this particular driver?

[QdOTE=Grayditch;86835554]Were they on the same bus as this particular driver?[/QUOTE]

I can't be sure.

I can't be sure.

So are you saying you believe the driver is being racist?

SV wrote: »
    Mother/Women in charge of the child sounds like a right bítch going by that video tbh.
    Wouldn't pick the child up to comfor him/her? Cúnt.

She says it's because the child wants to crawl on the floor. I remember my mother ignoring my sister having a hissy fit for similar reasons on the bus, but then it was the early 80's, perhaps it was acceptable then? Does a mother need to do her utmost to comfort their children these days not to be a bitch?

Either way, I'm sure Dublin Bus will be aware of the incident by the morning and will take it from there.

So are you saying you believe the driver is being racist?

Well I get the feeling it was race related if that's what you're asking. What crime did she commit?

The kid was having a tantrum, how many kids have you seen throw a tantrum in a super market and the parent just ignore it?

The driver was well out of line in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Most drivers don't call the Garda for people playing crap music out loud or drinking or openly taking drugs on buses,but this driver has no bother calling them over a crying child.Bit odd.

I'd give you 1 out of 3 for that remark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

The baby sounded hungry or thirsty to me. From watching the video I could see that he wanted to be picked up as well.

Rascasse wrote: »
    We'll see. If the CCTV doesn't show this woman abusing her child then the driver has to answer for his actions in calling the guards.

Rubbish. Calling the guards for any reason is not an offence.

colossus-x wrote: »
    Rubbish. Calling the guards for any reason is not an offence.

I didn't say it was. However, Dublin Bus will be aware of the incident and (I hope) will check the CCTV to ensure drivers actions were appropriate. One does not call the guards for a crying baby.

At exactly 7:00 mins into video when mom starts to let rip the child suddenly shuts up and not a peep from him since then. Perhaps he felt uneasy at not hearing loud screaming noises as he might be accustomed to at home.

What this video does show though is that the mother is an absolute savage to f*** and blind like that in public. To be fair though I could see she was rocking the pram back and forth so didn't seem to be totally ignoring the child.

Fair play to the black lady who went out of her way to get up out of her seat and castigate the mother as she left. I'm also glad this woman was not white otherwise the racism card would be played here towards her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

colossus-x wrote: »
    Fair play to the black lady who went out of her way to get up out of her seat and castigate the mother as she left. I'm also glad this woman was not white otherwise the racism card would be played here towards her.
    Maybe if she were white she wouldn't have felt the need to criticize.

I can imagine how that lady felt, sitting there at the top of the bus, feeling eyes boring into the back of her head, knowing people are thinking "typical Nigerians" or whatever.

A bit like Muslims who feel they have to go out of their way to show that they are "one of us", or Irish people who feel a special shame when they see an drunk Irish lout abroad. Sadly, people make ethnicity judgements all the time, even where it is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

I think after 15-20 minutes the mother should have been able to calm the baby, plenty of things to try without having the child out of the buggy! Feeding, holding his hand, try amuse him.
    I know when a child acts up on a bus if she was alone it could have been difficult for her to manage but it's no excuse really because on a bus full of people you can always ask for a hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm with the bus driver. That child sounds sick and distraught to me. His mother needs to be questioned. Bus drivers put up with horrific stuff, they don't call the guards lightly.

I wonder how many people who say he overreacted thought that barman was totally right not to serve that pregnant woman last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

This is why you always bring a fully charged iPod or some sort of musical device every time you use any form of public transportation.

Well I get the feeling it was race related if that's what you're asking. What crime did she commit?

The kid was having a tantrum, how many kids have you seen throw a tantrum in a super market and the parent just ignore it?

The driver was well out of line in my opinion!

Still have no idea why you think it's race related without anything to back it up other than "she was black". Was the other black lady at the end who went out of her way to scream "BAD MOTHER" at her also a racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Moneymaker wrote: »
    This is why you always bring a fully charged iPod or some sort of musical device every time you use any form of public transportation.

Pipe Organ, for choice. Can be a bit difficult getting it up the stairs, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bagpipes are surely better again.

The louder that baby cries, the harder you hit those pipes.

*expect to be violently assaulted

Still have no idea why you think it's race related without anything to back it up other than "she was black". Was the other black lady at the end who went out of her way to scream "BAD MOTHER" at her also a racist?

You tube is banned so I can't analysis the video don't you think calling the police was excessive? In my opinion the colour of the ladies skin was the reason the driver called the police!

Have you anything to back up your assertion that it wasn't race related?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You tube is banned so I can't analysis the video don't you think calling the police was excessive? In my opinion the colour of the ladies skin was the reason the driver called the police!

You are accusing the driver of racism on a public forum?

That's clever

Mod

Oranage2 you're on your last warning for trolling this forum. Any more of it and you will be banned.

The only person who brought race into the argument was you so don't post on this thread again and let's leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Is there a working link for the video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Have you anything other than your opinion to back up the idea that this incident WAS race related? I don't think it was, based on my experience -
    Czarcasm wrote: »
    Ah no it wouldn't happen with any regularity or anything, but it's happened a few times alright like when I had dropped my wife off at the airport and the child was bawling his eyes out because he couldn't go with her. We got on the bus and the female driver was asking all sorts of questions before she gave me our tickets. I understood WHY she was doing it, commendable in itself, but fcuk me that was one awkward 25 mile bus trip and she glancing back in the mirror every so often at the inconsolable child! I was surprised she didn't have the Gardai waiting at our stop! :pac:

A child coughing, crying and spluttering like that, not alone would it wear the ears off an incredibly patient person, and I can imagine how distracting it was for the driver. In my opinion he took the right approach to notify the Gardai rather than confront this woman himself.

You're looking for a racist angle where there is none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I feel bad for the woman for getting labelled an unfit mother from a short Youtube clip without everyone knowing the full details but Im definitely not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Depends why the babog was crying I suppose.

For a minute, I thought you said ballbag. :pac:

Maybe the mother just thought ignoring the crying was the best thing to do although you're really supposed to intersperse it with some attention.

That said, I've not watched the video. I hear enough crying kids at home without sitting through a video of same recorded by some weirdo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

If the driver called the guards due to a concern for the childs welfare, then he did the right thing. You just have to think of that poor little child in England that was starved and beaten to death by his mother and her boyfriend. The poor kid was rummaging in bins at school for food because he was so hungry and nobody seemed to do anything. They said he had an eating disorder and was clumsy and everyone just accepted the story.

Of course after his death everyone blamed everyone else and said they thought other people were dealing with it. The bottom line is if someone suspects that a childs welfare is at risk they should do something about it and not ignore it. Seems a bit odd to automatically assume the driver is a pr*ck rather than give him the benefit of the doubt.

Advertisement