Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Map update

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I updated the wife's nuvi to 2014.10 yesterday via garmin express

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Question

if i try to search for Rosan Glas in Galway, either by city or by search all , i do not get a result
    however, if i drive to it and into the estate it has it on the map, and tells me im driving " on Rosan Glas"

ive double checked the spelling, even done a city search followed by " Ro" yet it wont return a result..Weird

any thoughts
    on latest 2014.10

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The name of the street actually contains a fada, i.e. Rosán Glas, maybe that's messing up the searching? If you search in BaseCamp, even zoomed in on the street itself and tell it to search near the centre of the map it doesn't find it either, even if you include the fada, but if you just enter Glas it does, which kind of reinforces my theory.

tks alun,however i thought that too and searched for another address with a fada and it found it...even though i didnt actually type the fada as i could not find out how. ( treid the different keyboards , no avail)

BTW how do you enter a fada?

eirlink wrote: »
    tks alun,however i thought that too and searched for another address with a fada and it found it...even though i didnt actually type the fada as i could not find out how. ( treid the different keyboards , no avail)

BTW how do you enter a fada?
    On the PC, it depends on what language you have your keyboard set to. If it's UK or US English then á is Alt+0225, é is Alt+0233, í is Alt+0237, ó is Alt+0243, ú is Alt+0250.

If it's set to English(Ireland) then just use the AltGr or right Alt-key plus the letter.

On the Garmin, at least mine (nuvi 2545) there's an Alt key on the bottom right, again just hit that and it'll highlight the relevant keys with fadas on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Does it make any financial sense to buy updated maps for a 2 year old garmin? Seems like it is better value to just buy a new device that comes with lifetime updates?

tried the alt key and it entered the fada but still no result...weird

must try on the tomtom and see what comes back

tomtom has it in the search....
    pity TT dosent have townlands (or has it?) and id consider switching
    been a long time on garmin now because of the missing townlands issue, which i was on to them about, plus i find the TT menus and search very finicky

anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

tried the alt key and it entered the fada but still no result...weird

must try on the tomtom and see what comes back

tomtom has it in the search....
    pity TT dosent have townlands (or has it?) and id consider switching
    been a long time on garmin now because of the missing townlands issue, which i was on to them about, plus i find the TT menus and search very finicky

anyway..

This happens to me on a daily basis. I search place names and the system cant find them. Yet when you drive on them, they are clearly there?? The system has so many flaws . You will probably also find that Navteq misspell loads of places as well which makes the search function useless.
    I find the "search all" tab also heavily flawed. It will not find certain streets, but if you use the town name first. It appears.
    It makes me wonder how they are considered the leader in GPS tech...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very unimpressed with mine. My old Nokia was better. I don't find google maps fantastic either on my Android. Love to compare them to a Windows 8 Nokia see if Nokia is still decent.

brokenarms wrote: »
    It makes me wonder how they are considered the leader in GPS tech...
    Unfortunately they have to rely on Navteq for their maps and the search data, and a system like that is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Also the backwards addressing system we have here, especially in the greater Dublin area, with all manner of 'well known' areas and suburbs with no formally defined borders, doesn't exactly help.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Unfortunately they have to rely on Navteq for their maps and the search data, and a system like that is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Also the backwards addressing system we have here, especially in the greater Dublin area, with all manner of 'well known' areas and suburbs with no formally defined borders, doesn't exactly help.

I agree completely. I love the garmin layout and function. Thats why I stick with it in the hope that navteq will pull its socks up.

Its very strange that a massive mapping company with that much money cannot perform its sole purpose though. Finding hard to reach addresses.

If we had postcodes I guess this would not be a problem. But lets face it. Thats not going to happen , at least not anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

There is another update available now 2014.20, time to get downloading..

tks have it already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have they updated the speed camera locations recently. I had problems that the latest mobile camera zones were still the old ones. Has anyone with the lastest speed zones compared them to the garda.ie map and the signes on the side of the road at the start and end of the zones? The zones were moved around Jan 2013 but as of summer 2013 Garmin was still using the old ones.

Can someone check?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

my tom tom is aweful, just bought it this year.. its terrible,,,

say im looking for say,, peyton avenue in rathcoole.

first of all, i have to type in a city,, so dublin, the an area, so rathcoole, then a street,, so peyton,, but there is no sign of peyton..

i thought that maybe it was a new estate, not really,, so i was driving through town and wanted to go to Suffolk street..

so cant just search for suffolk street,, have to type in city, area, street,, but sure suffolk street isnt even there,, couldnt find it in the satnav..

hundreds more streets,, not there...

so by all means, if i want to find a street, that is lucky enough to be on my garmin, i have to know the county, and area its in first,, then i might find it...

who wants to swap a garmin for my tomtom??

I find the Garmin is similarly frustrating. Seems designed around post codes and the UK. You can't simply put in the name of a road.

Sometimes a mobile phone is easier. The mobile has other limitations though.

beauf wrote: »
    I find the Garmin is similarly frustrating. Seems designed around post codes and the UK. You can't simply put in the name of a road.

Sometimes a mobile phone is easier. The mobile has other limitations though.

strange thing is with Garmin. You wont find the name of the road on the serch all. yet it comes up on the screen when you drive on it.

These are problems you would see in old technology .

Why are we still in the same place with modern GPS? Is it money? They cant afford to employ good software people by the looks of it.

Google maps is often wrong, at least with names.

The most reliable I've used thus far was the Nokia maps on my old Nokia.

On my Garmin Nuvii I go to address, then do not pick town, but search all, enter house number (you can enter no house number), then street name (say patrick street) and all 24 options are listed with the county name afterwards and in the case of Dublin they are listed with the various post codes or town name

However I just checked and Peyton Avenue is not on the Garmin, nor is the street even present in map view, but it is on google maps. It is also not on openstreet maps:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/53.27850/-6.46725
    so it must have been built since the map in that area was last updated

I don't think any of the main mapping services buy their maps from Ordinace survey Ireland, so they rely on other companies to drive around every couple of years and manually add new roads and estates. Apparently OSI were looking for too much money for the info. In the USA the US equivalent gives the info for free to openstreetmaps meaning they are really impressive and I used a free map on my trip to the USA, on my Garmin, and it worked brilliantly.

In Ireland some new main roads and bypasses can take 2 or more years for updates to reach devices. It's a shame OSI do not price their maps reasonable or at least produce their own maps for people to use on sat navs.

I don't know what Gardai and Ambulances use for a Sat Nav, but I would be mighty pissed if they could not find streets because they did not have access to OSI mapping. In the US they take the view the public paid for this data to be collected, so it should be available to the public for free.

Unfortunately the area you are talking about, is the last gap in the new imagery for Ireland, as can be seen in the red chunk here.

The area around Saggart has imagery (the green bit n the middle of the red chunk), but its from 2006. Once the new imagery is added, you can be sure the missing roads will be filled in. You can see an example here, where a new chunk of imagery was added by the border, and the coloured lines indicate mapping activity within the last 90 days.

In the meantime, there are GB & Ireland maps (updated weekly) available here based on openstreetmap data that can be used with your Garmin.

Lastly, if you record a GPS trace and upload it to openstreetmap you can always add the missing road yourself, or post here and I, or another Irish openstreetmap member can add it for you. If you chose the second option, make sure you select "Identifiable" when uploading your GPS trace to OSM, otherwise we can't see it to use it to map the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Track42

Package wrote: »
    my tom tom is aweful, just bought it this year.. its terrible,,,

say im looking for say,, peyton avenue in rathcoole.

first of all, i have to type in a city,, so dublin, the an area, so rathcoole, then a street,, so peyton,, but there is no sign of peyton..

i thought that maybe it was a new estate, not really,, so i was driving through town and wanted to go to Suffolk street..

so cant just search for suffolk street,, have to type in city, area, street,, but sure suffolk street isnt even there,, couldnt find it in the satnav..

hundreds more streets,, not there...

so by all means, if i want to find a street, that is lucky enough to be on my garmin, i have to know the county, and area its in first,, then i might find it...

who wants to swap a garmin for my tomtom??

Peyton Avenue is certainly on the current TomTom maps. Just enter the city, then street (there's no "area" option on any TomTom I've come across), and Peyton Avenue, Close, Court, Drive and Square appear. Suffolk street is equally easy to find on the device (though it's only open to buses and taxis, so the device might not offer a route through it).

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

zg3409 wrote: »
    On my Garmin Nuvii I go to address, then do not pick town, but search all, enter house number (you can enter no house number), then street name (say patrick street) and all 24 options are listed with the county name afterwards and in the case of Dublin they are listed with the various post codes or town name

Good methodology and worth noting.

My personal strategy it to always find all the places I want to go to, in advance on google (or yahoo maps) and to get their coordinates and store them as favourites. In other words, get your favourite stored before you hit the road.

For coordinates on google .... right click ..."Whats here ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

eirman wrote: »
    Good methodology and worth noting.

My personal strategy it to always find all the places I want to go to, in advance on google (or yahoo maps) and to get their coordinates and store them as favourites. In other words, get your favourite stored before you hit the road.

For coordinates on google .... right click ..."Whats here ?"

Only works in Classic maps (not the new version)

Unfortunately the area you are talking about, is the last gap in the new imagery for Ireland, as can be seen in the red chunk here.

The area around Saggart has imagery (the green bit n the middle of the red chunk), but its from 2006. Once the new imagery is added, you can be sure the missing roads will be filled in. You can see an example here, where a new chunk of imagery was added by the border, and the coloured lines indicate mapping activity within the last 90 days.

In the meantime, there are GB & Ireland maps (updated weekly) available here based on openstreetmap data that can be used with your Garmin.

Lastly, if you record a GPS trace and upload it to openstreetmap you can always add the missing road yourself, or post here and I, or another Irish openstreetmap member can add it for you. If you chose the second option, make sure you select "Identifiable" when uploading your GPS trace to OSM, otherwise we can't see it to use it to map the road

This looks great! Tell me more about open street maps?

Can I load it to a Nuvi 50? Will it retain the 100 or so favorites I have on file.

Is it better than the maps garmin use?

brokenarms wrote: »
    This looks great! Tell me more about open street maps?

Can I load it to a Nuvi 50? Will it retain the 100 or so favorites I have on file.

Is it better than the maps garmin use?

I have recently put openstreetmaps on a Nuvi 40 (The 4" version of the Nuvi 50) and a Nuvi 200. My favourite locations did not change. I found the mapping more accurate and more street names and more new roads than Garmin's latest Paid update. The main limitation is the lack of speed limits.

The procedure to follow is:

1) Update your Garmin Firmware using Garmin's Webupdater (you may not need to do this but if an update is available it may fix issues before they arise and may give a faster GPS fix etc)
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

2) Buy an 8Gb Micro SD card with a normal size SD adaper. (I can recommend one for 8 Euro from an Irish seller if you PM me) -An SD card may not be essential but it gives your device more memory and an easy way to transfer maps over. Depending on the space left on your Sat Nav an SD card might not be needed.

3) Download the NW Europe file from here:
    http://www.navmaps.eu/ It is a large download so use a good internet connection
    (I had isssues with the talkytoaster UK and ROI maps on a Nuvi)

4) Unzip the file using something like 7zip. This gives a file ending in .img

5) Create a folder on your SD card called "garmin" and put the file into it
    E.g. e:\garmin\gmapsupp.img (folder MUST be called garmin). This is easy if your laptop has an SD card reader. Some SAT nav's, including the Nuvi 50, can be used via a USB lead to transfer to a card in the Sat Nav. On these it appears as a seperate drive letter, one for the sat nav another for the memory card.

6) Put your SD card into your Sat NAV's slot (note some sat navs have a large slot, some a micro SD, and some no slot)

7) Power on your Sat Nav and go into settings-maps-info. Untick the normal garmin map (or you will end up with two maps overlaid on each other), and tick the NW Europe map. At any time in the future you can swap over and back by unticking the boxes.

8) Enjoy and add to the community by fixing errors on http://openstreetmap.org

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

Only works in Classic maps (not the new version)

I've never tried the new google maps ... is there a workaround or alternative method of getting coordinates?

eirman wrote: »
    I've never tried the new google maps ... is there a workaround or alternative method of getting coordinates?

Click on the link icon (looks like a chain). The co-ordinates are in there somewhere, but it is very important to check the co-ordinates by putting them back into the search bar and looking where you end up as sometimes the co-ordinates are for items marked on the map and not the centre of the map.

E.g. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dublin,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.349837,-6.260367&spn=0.001047,0.00353&sll=22.570553,57.832031&sspn=0.409595,0.903625&oq=dublin&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=m&z=18

is:
    53.349837,-6.260367

for some bizzare reason, one of the largest estates in mullingar ( off the dublin rd) called glenmore wood.....missing on latest 2014.20 map

for some bizzare reason, one of the largest estates in mullingar ( off the dublin rd) called glenmore wood.....missing on latest 2014.20 map

It's on openstreetmap:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.5228/-7.3215

As I have said before, new roads can easily not be updated for 2 years. Even though an update is pushed out, someone needs to have actually gone to the bother of visiting the site and updating the map.

In areas where there are some new houses they may consider the area as "being already done" so may not go out of there way to re-map it. I have seen estates on garmin maps marked in, but no name on the estate, even though there are clear signs at the entrance. Either someone overlaid the roads on a satellite view, and never knew the name or the roads were mapped during building before the estate name was put up.

You can submit requests for updates or corrections, but they will probably only happen when some one updating the maps is in the local area. For Ireland this may only be once every 2 years, and they may be only updating the main roads and brand new large estates.

• Advertisement

tks

few questions re open street maps..can you overlay the osm map on top of the navteq map? ( similar to how navteq is on top of base map)

. are these osm maps searchable. as i remember having them on a sd card some time ago and i dont think they were. Could be wrong though

one other feature missing from osm is the townland is not shown / searchable.
    this is the main reason i use navteq mapping. as im driving i can see the townlands names in the top info bar. ( when unit not in nav mode )
    if i need to find a rural address at least i know im in the townland.

these points are just from memory so i may be way out here as its a while since i used osm.

gamechanger coming with post codes anyway, so Teleatlas / navteq will have little differences
    zg3409 wrote: »
    It's on openstreetmap:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.5228/-7.3215

As I have said before, new roads can easily not be updated for 2 years. Even though an update is pushed out, someone needs to have actually gone to the bother of visiting the site and updating the map.

In areas where there are some new houses they may consider the area as "being already done" so may not go out of there way to re-map it. I have seen estates on garmin maps marked in, but no name on the estate, even though there are clear signs at the entrance. Either someone overlaid the roads on a satellite view, and never knew the name or the roads were mapped during building before the estate name was put up.

You can submit requests for updates or corrections, but they will probably only happen when some one updating the maps is in the local area. For Ireland this may only be once every 2 years, and they may be only updating the main roads and brand new large estates.

Advertisement