Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeman Megamerge

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

moyners wrote: »
    Speaking of bench warrants, are all three of these gentlemen still at liberty? I'm surprised there wasn't more mention in the media, especially for Ben Gilroy, considering he gained a name for himself in the by-election.

To be honest, if the bench warrant and subsequent departure means that he never goes to jail, but he never comes back either, I for one can live with that.

Don't forget as well that there are crazies in all elections, the only reason Meath East had particular focus was that it was a by-election and considered a means of testing the waters for the government.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Robbo wrote: »
    Apparently the Kanturk couple were on Ray D'arcy this morning and were asked if they were receiving legal advice. They said they had a "solicitor" aboard from Kilkenny. I'm hearing this second hand, but I believe that the name given didn't exactly check out.
    The co-presenter Will did say pretty much straight away that theirs is not a real solicitor and Ray warned the couple that they might be receiving bad advice.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Oryx wrote: »
    The co-presenter Will did say pretty much straight away that theirs is not a real solicitor and Ray warned the couple that they might be receiving bad advice.

Must go have a listen and see if I can catch the name.

---

EDIT: Had a listen. The family is clearly delusional. Sadly. They believe they have a legit solicitor. RD and Will actually asked the AEI guy if he was a solicitor. Answer: No.

If you want to hear for yourself it's at approx 40mins of part 2 of today's show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Must go have a listen and see if I can catch the name.

---

EDIT: Had a listen. The family is clearly delusional. Sadly. They believe they have a legit solicitor. RD and Will actually asked the AEI guy if he was a solicitor. Answer: No.

If you want to hear for yourself it's at approx 40mins of part 2 of today's show.
    Had quick google of the name mentioned and turned up this-
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/family-home-owners-should-not-be-evicted-says-ryan-244578.html

Some additional googling led me to this call to arms by the AEI crowd:
    Via Brian, PLEASE SHARE, ANTI-EVICTION KANTURK at the O Sullivan's 45 Dun An Oir is continuing and the threat of eviction is still all to real or a nightmare if you were wearing Martin or Claire's shoes. A mother with three young kids has not been has still not been contacted by the Sheriff another mother who shows no compassion or understanding for her fellow man amid the corrupt system of greed and control
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X8sk_6fZIhg
    WHAT WE NEED FROM MONDAY 30th~ spread the word.
    i) In Kanturk we need more bodies on the 24/7 roster/daily support from 7.45am each morning and to add to the response crew. We have the nights covered.We need no egos just people who care and are willing to stand shoulder to shoulder as we continue to embarrass through injustice the sheriff,banks and government who should be ashamed as only one of our elected td's Aine Collins (email oireachtas.ie)has been to Kanturk and sided with the banks despite lies she told on mainstream media of being outraged and insisting she would do everything to help.Contact 089 2117021 -brian 087 2439965 or those you know on site for directions.We need keyboard warriors/technology expertise to come on site, get a breath of fresh air and share the messages daily from Kanturk.We need legals to execute the O Sullivans Right To Appeal which has been denied along with their Human Rights and Constitutional Rights to be recognised.
    ii)We need the Cork boys/Rebels to protest at the sheriffs office on Monday morning and groups around the country who cannot attend here to do the same and post all the pictures in support.Protest at the High Court and at the corrupt house itself on the Earl of Kildare St.
    United make no mistake we can end evictions on family home. We have serious flaws in their bull**** of legislation~ see did your td vote for the Land and Conveyancing Bill 2013.
    iii) A big protest will take place in Kanturk shortly and we will release details on Monday of date. A huge opportunity for all to protest at polling stations on the day we say NO to both bills but most importantly to the Court of Appeal on Friday 4th Oct.
    iv) WE and not i as it is always the right time to do the right thing and THIS IS OUR TIME. Open your eyes to a world of compassion and put yourselves in the O Sullivans or the many other familys under threat and living in fear.Open your eyes to the epedemic of Suicide created by greed and for dirty rotten money and dirtier electronic transfers.
    Irish I Am at HEART are you ? Help yourself to help others.....NOW, I BEG OF YOU. facebook page anti-eviction kanturk will be up later with links to all anti eviction groups who respond....thank you~http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X8sk_6fZIhg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How does one fail three times to get a file from the central office?

Walsh: can I have the file.
    CO: not unless you're a solicitor
    Walsh: oh. How about now.
    CO: No
    Walsh: ah, get ya. [gets fake moustace] hello, my name is Mr. Solicitor I'm here to pick up the file.
    CO: And what's your first name?
    Walsh: I don't know.

also, they do know that the central office would let them see the file if the clients just went in themselves? Sure they probably even have a copy it of if they just opened their post.

How does one fail three times to get a file from the central office?

Walsh: can I have the file.
    CO: not unless you're a solicitor
    Walsh: oh. How about now.
    CO: No
    Walsh: ah, get ya. [gets fake moustace] hello, my name is Mr. Solicitor I'm here to pick up the file.
    CO: And what's your first name?
    Walsh: I don't know.

also, they do know that the central office would let them see the file if the clients just went in themselves? Sure they probably even have a copy it of if they just opened their post.

Sure, no one is accusing all of these nuts of being clever.

But even with his glaring incompetence, a family he's "helping" was willing to go on national media and claim he was their solicitor. So. Conmen don't have to be smarter than every - just their marks.

Could the gardai arrest the protesters for trespassing with intent to cause fear or alarm? Might be easier than getting bench warrants for a changeable crowd.

Sure, no one is accusing all of these nuts of being clever.

But even with his glaring incompetence, a family he's "helping" was willing to go on national media and claim he was their solicitor. So. Conmen don't have to be smarter than every - just their marks.

Enough for the law society to prosecute him for impersonating a solicitor maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Could the gardai arrest the protesters for trespassing with intent to cause fear or alarm? Might be easier than getting bench warrants for a changeable crowd.

One of the problems the gardai and the legal system now have - almost purely of their own doing sadly - is that they've left it so long, and there's now hundreds, if not thousands of people in this country that think that the Freeman nonsense is true, and that poor Ben Gilroy is basically a persecuted freedom fighter.

In other words, the "establishment" has lost the "mesaage" war to the con men and the cult they've created.

This makes it endlessly harder to deal with the situation.

We can all see now, especially sense Allen and Co have gotten hundreds of people to join their bogus trust, we can see how easy it is for them to put numbers on the ground.

That's scary stuff.

Putting a few of these guys in jail just makes martyrs out of them.

There needs to be a unified approach to dealing with this stuff, and one thing that should be considered is something like in the US, where all of these groups are considered criminal.

One of the problems the gardai and the legal system now have - almost purely of their own doing sadly - is that they've left it so long, and there's now hundreds, if not thousands of people in this country that think that the Freeman nonsense is true, and that poor Ben Gilroy is basically a persecuted freedom fighter.

In other words, the "establishment" has lost the "mesaage" war to the con men and the cult they've created.

This makes it endlessly harder to deal with the situation.

We can all see now, especially sense Allen and Co have gotten hundreds of people to join their bogus trust, we can see how easy it is for them to put numbers on the ground.

That's scary stuff.

Putting a few of these guys in jail just makes martyrs out of them.

There needs to be a unified approach to dealing with this stuff, and one thing that should be considered is something like in the US, where all of these groups are considered criminal.

Criminalising a group or organisation is a serious business. The Americans have thousands on the CIA database, ireland doesn't even list Al-Quaeda. They are entitled to join whatever group they want and talk about whatever they want, so long as they don't actually commit, assist or participate in a criminal offence.

But I don't think that very many of them actually believe it. They make a stink, back off and do it again. They know they are just rent a crowd and are successful at that. Maybe the trust and the 24/7 blockade are going too far though.

Criminalising a group or organisation is a serious business. The Americans have thousands on the CIA database, ireland doesn't even list Al-Quaeda. They are entitled to join whatever group they want and talk about whatever they want, so long as they don't actually commit, assist or participate in a criminal offence.

But I don't think that very many of them actually believe it. They make a stink, back off and do it again. They know they are just rent a crowd and are successful at that. Maybe the trust and the 24/7 blockade are going too far though.

It IS a serious business, you are correct!

But the point here is that this "organisation" has one purpose, and it's criminal.

I'm all for freedom, but sometimes it's illusory. We don't expect to have the freedom to join rape gangs or racist gangs whose only goal is violence?

There's no difference here, really. These guys are either scamming the government and their fellow citizens, or their being scammed. As long as the government tacitly accepts them as legitimate they'll be able to continue hurting others.

Remember, this group, in the US, has been involved in a LOT of violence.

We can WAIT until it happens here or be proactive?

We've seen now a massive gang of these guys assault people, and we've seen multiple verbal threats and attacks. At some point, mark my words, what's happened so many times before, in the US, will happen here... and then everyone will wonder how we didn't see it coming, etc.

We ARE seeing it coming, but people would rather pretend it's just harmless loonies, who can only hurt idiots, so they themselves are safe, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Some additional googling led me to this call to arms by the AEI crowd:

I think these guys are a different shade of anti-eviction protester.

They don't seem to have any bizarre interpretations of the law, rather they just disagree with it from an ideological point of view.

They may still hassle the sheriff and end up arrested for trespass, but I don't they are delusional enough to think they are protected by Brehon Law.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I think these guys are a different shade of anti-eviction protester.

They don't seem to have any bizarre interpretations of the law, rather they just disagree with it from an ideological point of view.

They may still hassle the sheriff and end up arrested for trespass, but I don't they are delusional enough to think they are protected by Brehon Law.

In my experience, if Ben Gilroy is involved, there's always Freemen.

I'd agree that it's not a mob of Freemen, but that's not really the point.

A mob - almost by definition - is easily led. Where this sort if thing gets dangerous, is the nexus of conmen and unstable people.

The more angry nuts there are coalescing around conmen, the greater the chance for real violence.

And sure look, we can just sit back and wait for hundreds of people to get scammed, or a judge/cop to be murdered.

I'd prefer that NOT to happen, but... Most of the time people don't care about these sorts of dangers until after a tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In my experience, if Ben Gilroy is involved, there's always Freemen.

I'd agree that it's not a mob of Freemen, but that's not really the point.

A mob - almost by definition - is easily led. Where this sort if thing gets dangerous, is the nexus of conmen and unstable people.

The more angry nuts there are coalescing around conmen, the greater the chance for real violence.

And sure look, we can just sit back and wait for hundreds of people to get scammed, or a judge/cop to be murdered.

I'd prefer that NOT to happen, but... Most of the time people don't care about these sorts of dangers until after a tragedy.

I don't think Gilroy or Allen are involved in this Cork incident though. These guys are at least calling on people to lobby their TDs for a ban on repossessions. While I don't personally agree with their politics, they don't appear to be under any illusions about what they are doing.

The tone of their notice does sound fairly sinister though, a bit like the crowd we saw intimidating the Sheriff in Dundalk last year.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I don't think Gilroy or Allen are involved in this Cork incident though. These guys are at least calling on people to lobby their TDs for a ban on repossessions. While I don't personally agree with their politics, they don't appear to be under any illusions about what they are doing.

The tone of their notice does sound fairly sinister though, a bit like the crowd we saw intimidating the Sheriff in Dundalk last year.

Sorry, we might be talking about different things, which is probably my fault.

I was talking about this:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/angry-scenes-at-farm-centre-of-repossession-proceedings-29542185.html

Sorry if I've caused confusion!

EDIT: To be clear however, the AEI crowd is pushing the stud farm thing: https://www.facebook.com/AntiEvictionTaskforce

And there's plenty of blurring of the lines between AEI and Gilroy:

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-224936.html

Here's AET pushing Gilroy:

https://www.facebook.com/AntiEvictionTaskforce/posts/549769328389975
    https://www.facebook.com/AntiEvictionTaskforce/posts/504201682946740
    https://www.facebook.com/AntiEvictionTaskforce/posts/483068528393389
    https://www.facebook.com/AntiEvictionTaskforce/posts/483058181727757

And AET is pushing TNS Radio (Freeman radio).

And then there's stuff like this:

http://wethepeopleireland.ning.com/video/the-dundalk-anti-eviction-ireland

And this:
    "EVICTION ALERT
    need people back to the O'Sullivan home in kanturk.
    A Garda inspector broke his oath to uphold the constitution by breaking into the home of this peaceful family.
    He has left now but we fear he will be back with the sheriff.
    45 ashdale,
    Dun an oir
    Kanturk
    Cork.
    Please spread this message."

https://www.facebook.com/AntiEvictionTaskforce/posts/646935392006701

So I'm gonna go ahead and say this is just another arm of the same octopus of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fred Cohen

Not sure if this is the thread for it but according to the Sunday World, they managed to stop the sale of one house in this estate http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/eager-buyers-queue-for-30-000-houses-1.1542414.

The reasoning being the estate was "repossessed" from the developer and he had signed it over to the Charlie Allen trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Fred Cohen wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the thread for it but according to the Sunday World, they managed to stop the sale of one house in this estate http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/eager-buyers-queue-for-30-000-houses-1.1542414.

The reasoning being the estate was "repossessed" from the developer and he had signed it over to the Charlie Allen trust.

Did the auctioner/estate agent refuse to sell or did a mob force their way in?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fred Cohen

Did the auctioner/estate agent refuse to sell or did a mob force their way in?
    Sorry, this is the Sunday World we're talking about, didn't go in to too much detail. However I'd hazard a guess that there wasn't too much blinding rhetoric or insightful quoting of precedent involved.

• Advertisement

Fred Cohen wrote: »
    Sorry, this is the Sunday World we're talking about, didn't go in to too much detail. However I'd hazard a guess that there wasn't too much blinding rhetoric or insightful quoting of precedent involved.

Quoting Brehon law & ancient druidic teachings are the order of the day with that law.

Feel a bit sorry for the Sunday World. Old bearded balding men (it seems to be the main demographic of those protests) are not that sexy compared to gangland and boobs (the nice bouncy kind).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Quoting Brehon law & ancient druidic teachings are the order of the day with that law.

Feel a bit sorry for the Sunday World. Old bearded balding men (it seems to be the main demographic of those protests) are not that sexy compared to gangland and boobs (the nice bouncy kind).
    Now if John Gilligan was to declare his prison cell to be it's own independent state...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

ciaran76 wrote: »
    1. Was he in the studio? If so why wasn't he arrested?
    2. It always strikes me how he sounds so reasonable in mainstream media interviews and yet, and yet the freemen mumbojumbo that pours out of him in videos on youtube!
    3. He was a "bodyguard in the 80's"???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Given that this thread has gone onto something of a quasi anti eviction/freeeman/DDI line I said I'd throw this one in here.

http://directdemocracyireland.ie/reason-behind-seand-appeal-court-referendums-eu-take/

http://directdemocracyireland.ie/vote-appeal-court-stop-banks-fast-tracking-repossessions/

Even by their going this one beggars belief. What's scarier is that some people are actually taking it in as gospel :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Given that this thread has gone onto something of a quasi anti eviction/freeeman/DDI line I said I'd throw this one in here.

http://directdemocracyireland.ie/reason-behind-seand-appeal-court-referendums-eu-take/

http://directdemocracyireland.ie/vote-appeal-court-stop-banks-fast-tracking-repossessions/

Even by their going this one beggars belief. What's scarier is that some people are actually taking it in as gospel :rolleyes:
    The mask slips with the capitalising of "BAR".

Also, their support of the Master's proposals hasn't been thought through insofar as it would guilotine the **** out of any defective Supreme Court appeals brought by lay litigants.

1. Was he in the studio? If so why wasn't he arrested?
    2. It always strikes me how he sounds so reasonable in mainstream media interviews and yet, and yet the freemen mumbojumbo that pours out of him in videos on youtube!
    3. He was a "bodyguard in the 80's"???

1. Still trying to get to the bottom of this.
    2. He's a conman. That ability to lie makes him a successful one.
    3. Who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

From the Kathy Sinnott letter linked to in #1576:

"Additionally one of the changes wrought by the proposed Seanad referendum is to eliminate our right to vote on EU treaties. This is another proposed change that would please the EU institutions which have little patience with us and find Irish referenda dangerous."

They're all out to get us, apparently!

From a recent email from the common law society

SVZ59yZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

who's that email to/from?

• Advertisement

Plus, the added bonus of two new chapter of the Common Law Society book have been "published":

www.irishlifeandme.com/chapters/ILAM-Chapter2.pdf

www.irishlifeandme.com/chapters/ILAM-Chapter3.pdf

Jazes.

returnNull wrote: »

It's from the Common Law Society, to their entire email list.

Sounds like it is an email to a firm of solicitors.

Yes. The original is from a Freeman named Aidan, who owns Anseo in Dublin (as you can see) to AIB.

It's being promoted by the CLS.

As it appears in my mail:

V6n1JJV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Yes. The original is from a Freeman named Aidan, who owns Anseo in Dublin (as you can see) to AIB.

I presume thats the pub Anseo?Lol fukking nutter.Love the references to lizards:pac:

I presume thats the pub Anseo?Lol fukking nutter.Love the references to lizards:pac:

It is that pub.

And yes, reptilians. Of course.

Former investment banker turned comedy MC? From his promotional Facebook he seems to make a habit of writing these letters.

The nexus of nuttiness from his FB is something to behold.

I note one of his letters is liked by another self publicist in Aisling "Parading around Stephens Green in my scants because the NWO put fluoride in our water" Fitzgibbon and her erstwhile career as an "alternative" "health" "practitioner" and sure enough our comedian thinks that fluoride is put in the water to lower IQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

I don't think it is owned by him, Anseo is owned by a guy named Eddie (or at least it was last Christmas!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

jd wrote: »
    I don't think it is owned by him, Anseo is owned by a guy named Eddie (or at least it was last Christmas!)

Eddie aka Aidan of the anseo tm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

That looks like a Visa card number at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Eddie aka Aidan of the anseo tm.
    Ah seriously, Anseo is owned by Eddie Bermingham and others in his family. Yer man Aidan just runs a "comedy" club there http://laughoutloud.ie/contact/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Ah seriously, Anseo is owned by Eddie Bermingham and others in his family. Yer man Aidan just runs a "comedy" club there http://laughoutloud.ie/contact/ :)

Only joking. Obviously you know the truth.

Just got a chance to listen to the Ben Gilroy segment from Pat Kenny's show.

He's expanded his repertoire to include the Treaty of Rome (although where he regards the supremacy of EU law to his belovedly misinterpreted Constitution is anyone's guess) which added a nice cosmopolitan flavour to things.

Other Notable Highlights:

He was a bodyguard in the 80s and his motto was "Never pay the ransom". This may stem from watching Die Hard a lot.

We apparently have as much oil and gas as Kuwait *used* to. When full QMV comes in to the European Parliament in 2014, the Irish vote will be "negated" and "they" are going to asset grab our vast oil and gas reserves.

Pat only broaches the fake lawyer thing at about 18 minutes, going back to the famous "Constitution stops sheriff" incident. Nothing new here and disappointingly no tough questions from Kenny.

Odd that he gets his Visa bills sent there...? No...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Odd that he gets his Visa bills sent there...? No...?

Be honest here; did he actually send that letter to them or is it just a prank letter he stuck up for a few FB likes?

Be honest here; did he actually send that letter to them or is it just a prank letter he stuck up for a few FB likes?

Who knows... It's good to assume everything the CLS says is BS.

I'm actually a bit concerned that Article 47.2 is being deleted as well.
    Most people should especially if they want to have a say on future EU referendums.

Shame that the crazies agree with me.

I'm actually a bit concerned that Article 47.2 is being deleted as well.
    Most people should especially if they want to have a say on future EU referendums.

Shame that the crazies agree with me.
    No more petitions to call for a policy referendum
    Article 27 – under which a majority of Senators and one-third of TDs can petition the President and ask him to hold a referendum before legislation is signed – is deleted entirely.

(The reasoning here is that with the Seanad removed, it would only require a third of the Dáil – 53 TDs – to call for a referendum, and that this clause could be abused by an inflexible opposition trying to hamper the government from doing its job.

If the clause was changed so that half of all TDs were needed to sign any such petition, the clause would become redundant – as it would take the power away from the opposition and put it in the hands of the government, which already has that power in the first place.)

A related section – Article 47.2 – is also removed. That section dictates that in a referendum on a Bill called by the President, the No vote needs to be not only a majority of votes cast, but correspond to over a third of the total electorate. The removal of this provision suggests the government is happy for a simple majority to be enough to veto any bill, if it decides that a referendum should be held on passing it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/explainer-changes-seanad-abolished-940035-Jun2013/

• Advertisement
Advertisement