Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Stage one complete but can't find molasses in Dunne's or Aldi , guess I'll have to go with honey.

Edit:Great butcher I found in Belgard heights Tallaght, cut the shoulder straight off the carcass on the spot and trimmed off the fat and scored it.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tony wrote: »
    Edit:Great butcher I found in Belgard heights Tallaght, cut the shoulder straight off the carcass on the spot and trimmed off the fat and scored it.

I've made this loads of times but this is the first time I'll be using shoulder. Like you I got it from the butchers. He trimmed it down to size for me. Too lazy to start it tonight so I'll start it early tomorrow.

You can get molasses in Tesco normally, in the baking section.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Stage one complete but can't find molasses in Dunne's or Aldi , guess I'll have to go with honey.

My local Dunnes has the molasses in the whole foods section, of all places. Happens to be the same aisle as the baking stuff. Kelkin, orange label.

Found them, thanks for the tip

My local Dunnes has the molasses in the whole foods section, of all places. Happens to be the same aisle as the baking stuff. Kelkin, orange label.

• Advertisement

3 hours in

1239283_10201092216640827_1991137224_o.jpg

And now finished (with a touch of Jack Daniels )

1277158_10201093741238941_1248941810_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Tony did you have it with a roll and coleslaw?:D it looks delicious :)

Nope not yet :)

casio4 wrote: »
    Tony did you have it with a roll and coleslaw?:D it looks delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nope not yet :)

You mean it's just sitting there? How've you not gotten stuck in yet? :confused:

• Advertisement

Just sampled it on its own , i'm not big on coleslaw :)

You mean it's just sitting there? How've you not gotten stuck in yet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Hi lads/lassies

Just got a slow cooker this week and pulled pork is being done this weekend.

As it will be the first time buying this cut off meat, I was looking for some advice.

What weight of shoulder will fit in a 3.5 L slow cooker?
    Better to have the bone in our taken out?

I know the recipe is for 1.2 kg cut, but I'm presuming I can just scale up the rest of the ingredients?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What weight of shoulder will fit in a 3.5 L slow cooker?
    Better to have the bone in our taken out?

About 1.5KG would fit comfortably in your cooker. Don't buy your meat in the supermarket, go to your local butcher and order shoulder of pork with the bone in. 1.5KG should cost you around a tenner

Best of luck, and we want pictures :)

Does "bone in" give more flavor ?

Always!

unkel wrote: »
    About 1.5KG would fit comfortably in your cooker. Don't buy your meat in the supermarket, go to your local butcher and order shoulder of pork with the bone in. 1.5KG should cost you around a tenner

Best of luck, and we want pictures :)

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking along the lines of what's The biggest shoulder I could fit, but maybe better to try a smaller one for my first attempt!!

I have to ring the local butcher now to see if he had any shoulders in stock... Fingers crossed!

Thanks again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've comfortably fit 2kg of boneless shoulder in my 3.5L cooker.

I can't say I'd recommend leaving the bone in for this. It already has so much flavour that I'd consider the bone to just be wasting valuable time and space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Very excited to be making this for the first time today!! It's for the bf's birthday dinner on Sunday :D Yesterday I bought a loin in Tesco, and discovered last night upon reading through the thread that it wouldn't work. I suddenly remembered this morning that I have a pork suppliers right across the field from me so I headed there, 2.5lbs of shoulder, bone out and all the fat and skin removed for €8. Just about to put my rub together. It's the first time using the slow cooker as well, I bought it on Sunday in Aldi for €18.99, it's a 3.5 litre.

Wish me luck!

Edit: I took out the pork and thought it looked a bit big, done the rub, but ran out half way through so had to make another batch, finished rubbing and wrapped it up and weighed it........it's 2.5kgs, 5 and a half pounds! So we will be eating leftovers for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

I have 2 pork butts in the slowcooker at the moment, couldn't find any pork legs in tesco so ordered these online.
    I am feeding a crowd this evening, should I take it out now and shred it or will I leave it on low for another few hours? I'm guessing it won't overcook. Also got the Mississippi bbq sauce, has anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

redmissb wrote: »
    I am feeding a crowd this evening, should I take it out now and shred it or will I leave it on low for another few hours?
    Leave it on low but watch the liquid level. So long as it doesn't dry out, it won't overcook (or to be more accurate, it has already overcooked and it's supposed to - the reason it doesn't taste like it is that the collagen converts to gelatin during the braise and coats every single meat fibre, but if that gelatin wasn't there, this would taste like you were trying to eat shredded shoe leather!). Take it out and pull it whenever's convenient for you, then after saucing it, wash out the slow cooker's pot and put the pork back in there on the lowest setting and it'll act like a chafing dish and keep the pork warm for service. Just keep an eye on it so the bottom layer doesn't burn (if your slow cooker has some oomph to it, that is; mine doesn't but yours might...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Faith wrote: »
    I can't say I'd recommend leaving the bone in for this. It already has so much flavour that I'd consider the bone to just be wasting valuable time and space.
    I'd have gone completely the other way on that; especially if slow-roasting the pork in the oven or a big green egg or something similar instead of doing it in the slow cooker. Mind you, my current slow cooker is a tiny model (bought for the kitchen in the flat rather than my current one) so I can't do that myself and it doesn't ruin the dish if you leave it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Sparks wrote: »
    Leave it on low but watch the liquid level. So long as it doesn't dry out, it won't overcook (or to be more accurate, it has already overcooked and it's supposed to - the reason it doesn't taste like it is that the collagen converts to gelatin during the braise and coats every single meat fibre, but if that gelatin wasn't there, this would taste like you were trying to eat shredded shoe leather!). Take it out and pull it whenever's convenient for you, then after saucing it, wash out the slow cooker's pot and put the pork back in there on the lowest setting and it'll act like a chafing dish and keep the pork warm for service. Just keep an eye on it so the bottom layer doesn't burn (if your slow cooker has some oomph to it, that is; mine doesn't but yours might...)

Thanks! I might just take it now then and shred it just in case it dries out, had a little taste the meat is gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My pork shoulder is 5.5lbs, is it simply a matter of doubling up on the ingredients as per the op? Or should I cook one half and freeze the other? It currently is in the fridge with the rub.

Just double it up! I tend to buy a 2.5KG (5.5lbs) shoulder for my 6.5l slow cooker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Have this cooking away in the slow cooker again now... filling the apartment with it's delicious scent!!!

So all done.

Well worth the extra effort, tastes absolutely to notch. Heading to the folks for the Sunday Spuds so won't get to properly sample it until later this evening.

1.8 kilo boneless pork shoulder from the butcher. Only left the meat sitting in the spice rub for 3 hours, couldn't wait to get it on!!! Angel in the kitchen this morning was unbelievable!!

One point, for anyone that got the slow cooker from Aldi, after about 2/3 hours on high, the liquid got to a small boil. I was a bit worried about it (not sure if that was supposed to be happening) so I moved it onto the medium setting.

Left it in for 12 hours total.

Thanks did the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Ok, I've read this thread several times while drooling over my keyboard.
    Finally bought a 3.5L slow cooker. Searched high and low over the past few days and eventually found a pork butcher who had a shoulder of pork. I bought a nice big 2.5KG piece and then raided several aldi/dunnes/lidls to get all the various spices etc. Plan is to do the rub this evening and cook tomorrow night.
    I'm starving thinking about this already! :D

I'm starving thinking about this already! :D

So are we :D

Post pics up when you've slow cooked your shoulder of pork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

redmissb wrote: »
    I have 2 pork butts in the slowcooker at the moment, couldn't find any pork legs in tesco so ordered these online.
    I am feeding a crowd this evening, should I take it out now and shred it or will I leave it on low for another few hours? I'm guessing it won't overcook. Also got the Mississippi bbq sauce, has anyone tried it?

Where do you buy the pork online?:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Finally!!!!!! I've just done the rub, it's wrapped in cling film and in the fridge! Roll on tomorrow morning :D

Advertisement