Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

Nice one Dizzyblonde, I had my doubts when I was putting all that ketchup in but it goes really nicely! If I was doing it again I'd half the amount as I've plenty left over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dónal wrote: »
    If I was doing it again I'd half the amount as I've plenty left over.

It freezes very well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Thanks OP. i've been drooling over this thread for quite a while as i gathered ingredients. Just had a taste and its delish.
    +1 to you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I just made this, Sparks... I bow before you!

If anyone is looking to get pork shoulders then check out Hogans on Wexford St - 10euro for 2KG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Looks great! I've done pulled pork before but with a slightly different approach. I actually left the fat on though, and it worked really well - turned to an extremely delicate jelly-like substance that broke up and dispersed around evenly, kind of added a touch of moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 rozmiss

This was amazing! Yum yum dinner, made 3 adult dinners (and a sneaky lunch) and 3 adult dinners in the freezer for carnitas... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks OP, finally trying this. Bought a slow cooker today in Argos.

Quick questions; would it be too rushed to leave marinade overnight tonight, put into cooker tomorrow moring at 7am until 6pm or is it better leaving it 24 hours to marinade?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you have the time toadfly, leave it for the 24 hours. If you're pressed, overnight should be okay; but I've found that the longer you leave it the better the results. I left the christmas pulled pork in for almost three days before it went to the cooker, and that was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I will be patient so, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

I check this thread regularly and really want to do this this weekend. I need to! My only concern is I really dont like sweet sauces, at all! Is there I would leave out or lessen ingredient wise that might not make it too sweet? thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

snowgal wrote: »
    I check this thread regularly and really want to do this this weekend. I need to! My only concern is I really dont like sweet sauces, at all! Is there I would leave out or lessen ingredient wise that might not make it too sweet? thanks a mill

The only sweet element comes from the BBQ sauce that you use, so obviously just pick one that you like.

And add more vinegar :D
    Look up recipes for "vinegar barbecue sauces" (there are two main families of bbq sauce, the older ones based on vinegar and the more modern ones based on tomatoes). Something like this might suit your palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Have to have a go off this.

Will a normal casserole dish and the lower oven of a Stanley do?

It might apple, but you'll have to watch the liquid level. In fact, I'd take a length of tin foil, double it, then fold it in half again and crimp on three sides to make a pouch, put the pork in that pouch, seal it up, put that in the casserole dish and then cook it. If it leaks, you'd have to transfer it to the casserole dish and top up the liquid mid-cook, so crimp the edges tight.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Could I substitute the cider vinegar for something else? My dad doesn't like things with vinegar in it, since he drank a bottle as a young lad. Was sick for a month.

beertons wrote: »
    Could I substitute the cider vinegar for something else? My dad doesn't like things with vinegar in it, since he drank a bottle as a young lad. Was sick for a month.

I don't like the taste of vinegar but there is no vinegar taste that I've ever noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dónal wrote: »
    I don't like the taste of vinegar but there is no vinegar taste that I've ever noticed.

Ah the cider vinegar definitely gives a vinegary kick (which I love).

If your dad doesn't like the vinegar taste just take some of the dry pulled pork and add only the BBQ sauce to it, and then prepare the rest as normal.

I think people keep forgetting that the final adding of the sauce is totally down to preference of sauce. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Could I use Apple juice?

It'd be really, really sweet. Hey, if you like that sort of thing, that's cool, it's your pork :D
    I wouldn't skip the cider vinegar in the cooking liquid though. You can't taste the vinegar in the pulled pork pre-saucing at all, it affects the texture more than the taste.

And make up a tomato-based bbq sauce instead of a vinegar-based one (there are dozens of recipes on the net). See? BBQ caters to both extremes! :D

Oh the humanity.

Vinegar is too strong.

Any suggestions for toning down the bitterness.

• Advertisement

That one's easy - add sugar to the sauce. And next time use less vinegar.
    (Though you must have a fairly sensitive palate if the unsauced pulled pork is too bitter!)

No this is the sauced pork.

Ah, right. Try heating it up, then adding a tablespoon or so of honey drizzled over the top and mixed thoroughly. And if that's still too sour, add another tablespoon and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Mango chutney works a treat to reduce vingar and the flavor works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Ahhhh....I do like waking up to the smell of pulled pork wafting around the house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Finally getting around to this - only three years later :o

Very excited for Monday evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

First attempt with a slow cooker, and I'm happy with the result.

Pork was delicious, but I forgot to buy coleslaw :o so I served it with vegetables - there was nearly a mutiny :pac:

My OH thought the pork alone was a bit spicy, so I added natural yoghurt to the sauce, and it worked.

6iSejw_thumb.png

Left over pork for lunch today, nyom :D. Thanks Sparks - this is far better than my 'carnitas' type attempts with pork in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Eventually got around to making this pulled pork today. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks Sparks. Def will be a regular in my kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Bought a slow cooker especially to try this out!My OH was a bit moany about the smell in the house this morning from the cooking liquid!Think maybe it was the cider vinegar,didn't bother me at all.I hadn't written down the recipe and I had no internet because of the storm to get the ingredients for the sauce,so I had to wing it a bit!I remembered the BBQ sauce and coriander,but I nearly had a mutiny on my hands when I mentioned the vinegar!I did think of the ginger,so I went with my own measurements and added honey.Anyway twas only fabulous!Went with home made potato salad,lettuce and tomatoes,used slimbos instead of rolls cos I had them in the freezer and the weather was too atrocious to venture to the shops!I will definitely make this again and soon.One question: If I cooked and sauced this,how well would it freeze?I'm always looking for new things to add to my batch cooking list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

maryfred wrote: »
    If I cooked and sauced this,how well would it freeze?I'm always looking for new things to add to my batch cooking list.

It freezes really well, I do it all the time :)

Advertisement