Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabe Newell - PC/Linux gaming and Steambox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

nesf wrote: »
    Actually, let me be clear, PC gaming has some serious problems, but what amazes me is that pretty much nothing you're mentioning is one of them. Most of the issues come from:

Pretty much all of those issues you mention are, I imagine, exactly what Steam Machines aim to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One thing I would like PC games to do is be able to adjust the game to recommended settings based on the specs it finds. After that, the user can tweak what they want.
    This would be useful for those of us who don't understand some of the settings and instead of trial and error, it gives a decent starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

CastorTroy wrote: »
    One thing I would like PC games to do is be able to adjust the game to recommended settings based on the specs it finds. After that, the user can tweak what they want.

Don't pretty much all high end games already do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

James74 wrote: »

Also NVidia have an app for that and AMD are about to release their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

James74 wrote: »

nope very few do, Nvidia have a geforce experience system that will do it for you though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Im very skeptical that two trackpads would be better than analog sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Well....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tbh I think it's pretty sick and I want it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It looks awesome but the button placement looks terrible. Then again I said the same thing about the N64 controller and that was a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Be interesting to see the price of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Definitely something you'd need to hold and play to see how it operates. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They've put a lot of thought into it, by the looks of things. Touch screen, allegedly nearly mouse levels of resolution on the trackpads, some interesting feedback mechanisms and an official carte blanche to hack the sh*t out of it. I'd be quite interested in giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For some things I'd say the trackpads will be better but overall I don't see this being a good thing.

I like the screen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Be interested in seeing a fps on it and can people actually be proficient in it to the level near that of a PC, not the crap analog skill level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Cant wait to see it in action. If it works as well as they say PC will gain the benefits of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Cant wait to see it in action. If it works as well as they say PC will gain the benefits of consoles.

Wouldn't you get that with a 10 euro xbox 360 knock off controller from argos ? this thing doesn't look like it will be cheap

Also may I say:

Announcement 2: Episode 1.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm not a "couch" player, so this isn't for me. It looks interesting and it's clearly had a lot of work, but I don't see how this can be a substitute to a mouse and keyboard. Tell you what though, I'd love if it really did work, I'd certainly have to re-evaluate where I sit in my flat :)

• Advertisement

Well I'm not a couch player but I play many games and some are great on a pad like street fighter or w/e. Different game different seat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's fugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

It's got massive eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Goodshape wrote: »
    Pretty much all of those issues you mention are, I imagine, exactly what Steam Machines aim to address.

Yeah, most of them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Only now I realise...it has no dpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Looks nice but will have to wait and see. What puzzles me most though is the Euro Truck Simulator link

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

WTF is that thing?!?!?! :confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:

It's fugly.

No look at it, awwwww

JnEhx3U.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The two axes of rumble on each touchpad will make for some weird feedback possibilities. I was thinking about the lack of sticks for certain games but this type of feedback could make up for that with a kind of soft-stick approach. Looking forward to trying it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Shred

Wow, very impressed with the controller, it looks very comfortable. Can't wait to try it.

Advertisement