Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

the only thing that rises him now is his Grey Matter completely washing their hands of him.

"I need the biggest most bad a$s machine gun you've got, I've got a score to settle.
    Who's the target?
    Two defenceless, completely unsuspecting, middle aged, upper class nerds....one of whom is a small woman
    "

This conversation never happened, the gun is for the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Essien wrote: »
    We're done with Grey Matter, there is no way they will play any meaningful part in the finale, I just can't understand how people would think he'd bother going after them, what a pile of ****e that would be.

Totally agree. It was only a trigger, nothing more.

I think it would be awesome if Todd killed Skylar for Lydia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

We're done with Grey Matter, there is no way they will play any meaningful part in the finale, I just can't understand how people would think he'd bother going after them, what a pile of ****e that would be.

do you not think he'll confront them about what happened between them?

it's unclear & could be wrapped up quickly enough, it's hardy what he needs that gun for

would walter white have turned into the man he did if he got the recognition he feels he deserves for that company

elliott is as good a candidate for the ricin as anyone, him or lydia is where i'd put my money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So after absolutely hating last weeks episode, they completely won me back. The finale is now 90% set up for me and I actually cannot wait to see how it goes.

Hating?

How?
    Why?
    o_0

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As shown several times throughout the series, Walt completely and repeatedly lets his ego get the better of him, and the money and stature he lost out on by not being part of Grey Matter has been nagging at him for years. Gretchen and Elliot reducing his contribution down to simply being part of the reason for the name of the company would have completely pissed him off (fair enough, they only said that to distance themselves from him to protect their company, but that would have just snapped something in Walt). I agree that the gun isn't for them, but I'd be willing to bet the ricin is like others have already suggested.

A fantastic episode all the same though. Todd is such a brilliant character. Jesse was incredibly foolish (though still, fair play on that escape) and Andrea's death is on him. A slower episode than the previous few, but it had to be. That ending though... Pure genius.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    do you not think he'll confront them about what happened between them?

it's unclear & could be wrapped up quickly enough, it's hardy what he needs that gun for

would walter white have turned into the man he did if he got the recognition he feels he deserves for that company

elliott is as good a candidate for the ricin as anyone, him or lydia is where i'd put my money

They barely have enough time to adequately deal with the actual enemy (Uncle Jacks crew), never-mind sending him off to straighten out Grey Matter over what's nothing more than a petty grievance at this stage. If that was the end to the show it would be the worst piece of writing in the shows history and by a considerable distance too.

I'd be absolutely amazed and even more disappointed if the writers added anything about Grey Matter to Walt's to-do list with one episode remaining, it would be a horrendous addition to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Very good as a set up episode. Todd killing Andrea was to show just how heartless Todd and the Nazis are. Totally unexpected, even with their photo in the lab I never though Todd would actually kill Andrea. They wouldn't even know she existed if Walt hadn't gone to her house looking for Jesse. Bastard. Walt doesn't like being seen as having done nothing of worth so he's going back to prove himself. Up until now I thought he found out Jesse wasn't dead and, having an iota of humanity left, going back to free Jesse but now it seems he's going back to attack them simply to prove a point. Freeing Jesse (presuming he's not killed in the cross fire) will just be a side effect of that. As for the ricin, up until now I've been guessing either Lydia or himself. After this episode I'm thinking either Todd (who has started drinking tea like Lydia) or Gretchen and Elliott. Gretchen and Elliott is unlikely in the sense I don't know how he'd manage to poison them without getting arrested first but to bring them back at this point is so out of left field I feel like we haven't seen anything yet. He can't prove that he contributed more to the company than his name now so all he can do to get 'even' is to harm them somehow. Unless he thinks his shootout will lower their stock prices enough to ruin them. :P I noticed we had Lydia mentioning stevia for her tea in this episode (just like when she first meets with Mike) and I feel like this is a red herring, making people think Walt will substitute stevia with ricin and poison her that way. Lydia is the most obvious target for the ricin and so far this season Gilligan has done the complete opposite of every prediction I've made so I'm thinking he will do the same with this. Then again it could be a double bluff. Basically I have no idea what will happen with the ricin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

To those thinking that Walt going after Gretchen and Elliot would take too much time in the finale, I don't think we would actually see a play-by-play. Could just be something we hear on the radio or something.

"Grey Matter CEOs found dead in their Malibu home. Stock drops 20%", etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

5Zuzhuj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

I wonder is there anyway Jesse will escape and kill Walt Jr as revenge for everything?

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    "Grey Matter CEOs found dead in their Malibu home. Stock drops 20%", etc.

I could live with that, pointless as it would be, at least it wouldn't waste what little time we have left.

I'm convinced that the ricin is for Lydia though. Both her and Skyler are "loose ends" in relation to each other, so IMO, one of them needs to die and I can't see it being Skyler. Also, if someone like Lydia was found shot to pieces there would be huge questions asked which may potentially lead to Walt/Skyler. Compared to the likes of the nazis who are probably known criminals, in whose case the authorities would see them being murdered as something that's "been known to happen" (to nick a line from Saul :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They barely have enough time to adequately deal with the actual enemy (Uncle Jacks crew), never-mind sending him off to straighten out Grey Matter over what's nothing more than a petty grievance at this stage. If that was the end to the show it would be the worst piece of writing in the shows history and by a considerable distance too.

I'd be absolutely amazed and even more disappointed if the writers added anything about Grey Matter to Walt's to-do list with one episode remaining, it would be a horrendous addition to the show.

how much time do you think it'd take to deal with it?

getting some more background/closing on the whole grey matter thing would be quite good i think - that whole scenario has had a major effect on him as a person, perhaps the reason he is why he is, that started him off down the loser road in the first place

batistuta9 wrote: »
    how much time do you think it'd take to deal with it?

It doesn't matter, any time spent on it is time wasted. I just can't understand how people think this is an issue that needs to be resolved.

They randomly appeared on TV to act as the catalyst that made Walt go from handing himself in to (what looks like) going out in a blaze of glory. That, I really hope, is that. There is no reason whatsoever to waste any time on resolving such a pointless non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Great episode, sets up the finale perfectly.

Hard to believe that Mike wasnt worried about Todd's Nazi connection! They are ruthless!

Looks like Walts ego is going to get him into more trouble :)

The mistake of leaving Grey Matter has always been hard to stomach for Walt.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I think as others have said the Grey Matter stuff was just a wake-up call for him to take matters back into his hands and to return to end everything on his terms. Nothing more. Gretchen downplaying his involvement in the company obviously got to him, but what I feel got to him more is that here he is, sitting in some random town in the middle of nowhere living out his last last days waiting to be arrested, living incognito and drowning in misery and self-pity whilst the media, friends and colleagues drag his name through the dirt, distancing themselves from him and creating an image of him he feels isn't true. Walt is coming back not just for revenge, but for power and control, his two biggest motivations throughout the whole series. Walt needs to end things the only way he knows how, his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭briany

I had to laugh when Lydia's eyes lit up at the mention of the meth purity.

1DoM9CQ.png?1?2839

• Registered Users Posts: 23,150 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Shout Dust wrote: »
    I wonder is there anyway Jesse will escape and kill Walt Jr as revenge for everything?

I can't see him escaping again. I think Jesse is broken now. Jane, Andrea, Mike, killing Gale even, I think it'll all be too much for him and the last we'll see of him will be him hanged in his cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Madame K wrote: »
    I knew it was curtains for her. A stranger knocks on your door at night, you open it AND go outside, leaving your back to him.

I thought that scene should have been executed better. :-\

I see what you did there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

It must have finally dawned on Walt that he is dead to his family, Flynn could not have made this more clear.

I think he's coming after Skyler. What does he care now about Todd, Jack, Jesse, blue crystal meth or even the money. None of it doesn't matter anymore. Why did he set the cops on his trail? Maybe it was Walter White's final act to protect his family from Heisenberg (I said earlier that only Walt has the brains to deny Heisenberg victory in this Jeckyll/Hyde struggle of personalities).

J. Marston wrote: »
    I can't see him escaping again. I think Jesse is broken now. Jane, Andrea, Mike, killing Gale even, I think it'll all be too much for him and the last we'll see of him will be him hanged in his cell.

I see it the other way round - I think he's had too much bad stuff happen to him and the final episode will at last see him getting to exact his revenge on someone, probably Todd.

I wouldn't be so sure of him not escaping again, the fact that Walt will eventually show up and cause havoc means that anything really could happen between him, Walt and the Nazis.

I say Jesse lives, Walt dies and the Nazis die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

in season one, one episode kept cutting back to a pre-marital walt and gretchen discussing what the body was composed off in a class room, before they, as they say in laois, went in for the shift.
    it's more than just being shafted from the company that's playing on him.

you're probably right, it shouldn't take too long, and would be a shyte story to end on.

Torqay wrote: »
    Why did he set the cops on his trail? Maybe it was Walter White's final act to protect his family from Heisenberg (I said earlier that only Walt has the brains to deny Heisenberg victory in this Jeckyll/Hyde struggle of personalities).

He was giving up, then changed his mind after being insulted by Grey Matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

wow, what an episode. andreas death was really traumatic to watch, the lowest most grimmest death yet i think.
    poor jesse, where the feck will it all end for him, its just too much torture at this stage.

todd is one of the most unnerving villains i have ever seen, such an emotionless psychopath, you just dont know what the bastard is thinking. i thought he might have injured skyler a bit, it will be interesting to see what her ending will be.

cant believe its all over next week, fair dues to vince gilligan, he must be walkin around like his dick is the size of a childs arm. a perfect tv series for me, even though i want more i know that it wouldnt be as good if they milked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Torqay wrote: »
    It must have finally dawned on Walt that he is dead to his family, Flynn could not have made this more clear.

I think he's coming after Skyler. What does he care now about Todd, Jack, Jesse, blue crystal meth or even the money. None of it doesn't matter anymore. Why did he set the cops on his trail? Maybe it was Walter White's final act to protect his family from Heisenberg (I said earlier that only Walt has the brains to deny Heisenberg victory in this Jeckyll/Hyde struggle of personalities).

Do you really think he's going to kill Skyler? Do you even watch the show at all? He's going after Jack and the Nazi's like he told Saul. Revenge for killing Hank and to get all his money back for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I really loved that they played the full intro-tune at the end. It was perfect for building up to the end next week.

It's hard to believe there's only 1 episode left. Todd is simply deplorable, I mean the hell?? Did Andrea need to die, couldn't they have just threatened him or her. I mean what were they going to do with Brock? Leave him to discover his dead mother, kidnap him or what? That death is on Walt more than any other I think.

Why couldn't Walt have just gotten into the mineral collecting empire? Then himself and Hank could have lived happily ever after :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

He was giving up, then changed his mind after being insulted by Grey Matter.

just watched the end again. he's insulted by Grey Matter, but also to the fact the the blue meth is still being sold all over the south west and as far as europe, as the presenter says.

it's about pride.

Do you really think he's going to kill Skyler? Do you even watch the show at all? He's going after Jack and the Nazi's like he told Saul. Revenge for killing Hank and to get all his money back for his family.

He wanted to go after Jack for the money which, in his twisted mind, rightfully belongs to his family. But to his family he is dead or they want him to be dead. His son was very clear on that. And they certainly don't want his blood money. That changes everything. Himself is a dead man walking, the cancer that makes you cough is back. So no, Jack and his gang doesn't matter to him anymore, neither does Jesse or the money. (Another indicator how little money now matters to him is leaving a barrel with 11 million behind or do you think he was going back to his hunting lodge with the cops swarming the place by now? No, he had to get the hell out of dodge immediately. There was nothing planned in this scene, Heisenberg left New Hampshire in a rage with 100k in a box).

The only reason Todd did not kill Skyler ("Respect for your husband", was the lamest thing Todd ever said) is her being needed for the final confrontation with Heisenberg.

just watched the end again. he's insulted by Grey Matter, but also to the fact the the blue meth is still being sold all over the south west and as far as europe, as the presenter says.

it's about pride.

True. Either way, the point is the same, he changed his mind. He didn't just have a multiple personality struggle between Walt and Heisenberg over whether or not he would give himself up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Vince Gilligan said that Walter White IS Scarface.

There has been so many nods to Scarface throughout the series.

Tony Montana went down guns blazing, having lost the one thing he was trying to protect, Gina, his sister.

I think Walt will go down the same way.

He'll use the M60 to wreak carnage on the Nazi's, will take a few shots himself.

However I think he'll lose one of his family members, possibly Walt Jnr. I'm not sure how he will die, either at the hands of Jesse or the Nazi's

As for Walt, he will die too. Possibly either Todd or Jack or Jesse. Can't see any others taking him out, unless there is a bizarre twist and some kingpin from the Cartel shows up, doubt it though.

I'm not sure who the ricin is for, but I sure hate the Greymatter crowd. The shafted Walt from the start, surely they won't escape unscathed.

Not sure if Jesse lives or takes his own life.

• Advertisement

True. Either way, the point is the same, he changed his mind. He didn't just have a multiple personality struggle between Walt and Heisenberg over whether or not he would give himself up.

Then why call the cops to remind them that he is still well and alive and set them on his trail?

Advertisement