Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AeroKid

Well that's it, I'd be sickened if I found out such a discrepency after handing out big money! I don't know if cartell would have show up this I'm sure it would?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

AeroKid wrote: »
    Well that's it, I'd be sickened if I found out such a discrepency after handing out big money! I don't know if cartell would have show up this I'm sure it would?

I stupidly didn't ask for a cartell report at the time because I assumed being a SIMI dealer meant something like that wouldn't happen. Learned my lesson there.

Just wondering; I read that they should be reported to the consumer protection agency but does anyone know if they should also be reported to the Insurance Federation of Ireland? I'd imagine selling clocked cars would have an impact on that industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Very good, a must read for all potential used car buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

smokingman wrote: »
    I stupidly didn't ask for a cartell report at the time because I assumed being a SIMI dealer meant something like that wouldn't happen. Learned my lesson there.

Just wondering; I read that they should be reported to the consumer protection agency but does anyone know if they should also be reported to the Insurance Federation of Ireland? I'd imagine selling clocked cars would have an impact on that industry?

I've never seen an insurance company as for the mileage on a car, so I can't see what effect it would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat

Thanks Limerick man, I got the car inspected and also got someone in the know to check the mileage for me, the car was clocked. No surprise as they've been mentioned a fair bit on Boards as being dodgy. Ive upped my budget a bit (ouch) and off to a more reputable garage tomorrow so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

I've never seen an insurance company as for the mileage on a car, so I can't see what effect it would have.

I was more thinking about the fact that there could be cars out there that are worth less than they are insured for and if there was an accident, the insurance lads would be paying out money they didn't need to (in their eyes).

smokingman wrote: »
    I was more thinking about the fact that there could be cars out there that are worth less than they are insured for and if there was an accident, the insurance lads would be paying out money they didn't need to (in their eyes).

Thats an aspect I hadn't considered. MugMugs might be able to tune in on that one, Ill PM him later.

Thats an aspect I hadn't considered. MugMugs might be able to tune in on that one, Ill PM him later.

Thanks MugMugs, much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

2005 Mazda 6 1.9, family member is looking at one & I know next to nothing about them. Are they best avoided?

Diesel? Apparently theyre a no go. I havent experienced one myself.

• Advertisement

Diesel? Apparently theyre a no go. I havent experienced one myself.

Yeah just seeing some posts about them would indicate so. What are the problem areas?

As far as I recall it is just a terrible engine that is well known to explode

Hope I'm posting in the right place, if not apologies in advance.
    I removed the black window tint from a Volvo S60 & am left with the glue residue, cannot see out the rear window, any thoughts on how this can be removed without damaging the heated rear window ?.

Try the detailing forum

Thank you, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

I'm looking into buying a car that was purchased 1 year ago and has finance outstanding with VW bank. Hes selling because he is moving abroad.

They guy I'm buying from seems very genuine and I've no doubts over his integrity. He wants me to pay the agreed price to VW bank referencing his reg plate(amount outstanding is less than agreed price). This will take 10 days to clear and they will effectively transfer ownership over to him in full then. The next step would be for me to collect the car and have it registered in my name.

What I want to know is, if this is the normal process for a situation like this. Also, I am concerned about the security of the transaction on my end. How can I protect myself here?

Thanks

I would ask him to produce written confirmation of the amount oustanding on vehicle from the Bank, showing the agreement & reg number, you could then get a Bank Draft payable to the finance Company & ask the seller to forward it to them immediately. I does take 10 days for the Lenders Data Base to be updated.

Sorry the above reply should read 'YOU GET THE DRAFT FROM SELLER' & forward to the Finance Co, Bank.

I would speak to your bank on that one.

You Could very easily pay that money off and never see hin or the car again.

In an IDEAL world, he would pay off the finance first. I would be asking him to prove to you that he can pay off the outstanding balance first.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

In an IDEAL world, he would pay off the finance first. I would be asking him to prove to you that he can pay off the outstanding balance first.

This is what I think I'm going to push for. Once the car is in his own name I would be happy to hand over the cash. Anything else is just messy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

make sure it has currant insurance tax and nct cert

only buy at persons house look at driving licence,match address,

only buy from owner

bring it to mechanic

2004 1.7 Diesel Civic, anything to watch for on them? The family member who was looking at Mazda 6 diesel previously is looking at this now...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Hi Lads, In the process of buying my first car, some great advice on here so just want to thank everyone for that first of all!

Question is I'm looking at a car at the moment, private seller, the guy is selling it for his friend who has moved abroad(returned home) for good. Just wondering is this ok or is there some reppercussions from the owner not being the seller? I dont want to get caught out in a dodgy deal with my first car. Thanks for any advice!

As long as he has to logbook and its signed by that previous owner you're fine.

Thing is that fella is probably a Dealer, so be careful. Pm me the link if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

this could be how long is a piece of string type question but herself is trading up soon.

What kind of a trade in value would she get for a 2003 Hyundai Getz 1.1, 120k ?

Or would a better option be to buy the newer car and sell the getz privately?

Privately. You might be offered a grand for it, and you might be able to get the same grand offthe price for the straight deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Julian20

i'm going to view a car on saturday, the guy selling the car is a dealer, has a small garage, im giving my car away plus few quid his way, both cars are same year, similiar value, mine engine is smaller thou, i followed step one from the guide, his car havent changed the ownership in last 3 months, so so far so good. will do another steps before going to look as i have to travel from Limerick to Dublin, hopefully online checks are all going to be good news :)

Pm me the details if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maccers1011

gave a guy a deposit on a car a few weeks ago and thought i would have come up with the difference but failed to do so.
    asked the guy for the deposit back as im heading to college. he's saying he doesnt have to give me anything back but might give me half of the deposit i gave him. claiming he doesnt have to and if i was to go down the legal route that he would be in the right. advice ?? i personally think thats a disgrace as he made money on selling the car lately anyways but still acting stiff on the deposit. have no clue how to approach this except for consulting a solicitor.

• Advertisement

The whole reason you gave the deposit was to hold the car with the intention to buy it.

I wouldn't give it back either to be honest, if it was "weeks later".

Advertisement