Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9/11 anniversary, where were you when it happened and was it a conspiracy?

Options
  • 10-09-2013 6:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

12 years ago tomorrow this generation's JFK shooting happened and the aftermath is still ongoing with extra security measures in airports, in countries where America went hunting for "WMD"s. and in invaded Afghanistan where they "deposed the Taliban" which had "harboured al-Qaeda"

I woke up late that day, just after noon, so I didnt see it live like a lot of people I spoke to that evening. It was Sky News and the BBC for rolling news all day as the images kept coming out and the whispers of where Ireland would start in World War 3 began. It thankfully didnt come to that of course but nothing was being ruled out in the initial few days after.

Do I think it was a conspiracy? Yes.

Ive watched countless documentaries (not Loose Change ;) ) and read up on this as much as possible and it still comes down to that thought I had when I was still half asleep switching on the TV that day:

"Why is someone demolishing the twin towers?"

I believe the twin towers and WTC 7 (a building that was never hit by a plane, yet fell at freefall speed) all came down via controlled demolition.

There is also something very off about the Pentagon attack and the crashing of Flight 93.

Tomorrow is the 9/11 anniversary. Where were you when it happened on 11/9/2001 and was it a conspiracy?

Was 9/11 a conspiracy? 88 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    25% 22 votes
    Not a conspiracy but the Americans knew in advance of the attack and let it happen
    75% 66 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

GO AWAY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

This isn't the forum for discussing this, there is a CT forum already set up for you crackpots so why don't you take your sh*te BS theories over there.

Book a session with a shrink will you're at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I was in school. And no I dont think it was a conspiracy What would they gain??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

A conspiracy of that magnitude could not be kept secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tomorrow two years i will be gettign married.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I was in Cork.

I don't know who had it worse!

2 million bikers to ride into Washington tomorrow. Looking forawrd to seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

I was in LA.

On a positive note, Universal Studios was fcuking deserted the day after.

It was great...in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

No doubt there are many things we don't know about 9/11, maybe some details we'll never know, but there are some things we know happened for certain.

We know that Islamic fanatics boarded those aircraft and crashed them into the buildings.

Therefore, even if you accept the premise that the US knew in advance of this catastrophe, then it seems surplus to its need to actually become complicit in the crime to ensure the buildings actually came down.

In other words, the political architecture of the crash remains exactly the same whether or not the US was involved i.e. if you grant the premise that the US were not involved and the buildings didn't collapse, the implications of the crash are exactly as they would have been. Thus, it seems stupid at best and unnecessarily worthless for the US to add a layer of complication to something they would have otherwise acted upon anyway.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I pulled a sickie from work (doing it on a Monday is too suspect).

Watched it unfold on telly.

Conspiracy? If I put my tin foil hat on - I think the Yanks knew something was planned and maybe "allowed" it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I remember not long afterwards this tasteless advert for anti-smoking came out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I remember not long afterwards this tasteless advert for anti-smoking came out.

Fcking hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I was 24. Feels like yesterday. :(

I was 20 when Diana and Dodi died. Tells like the day before yesterday.

Time, would you ever go and fcuk away off?!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I was in Florida, down the road from the school Bush was in.

Sitting in a Denny's, all the staff were screaming and crying.....they thought it was a movie on tv at first. They had to close the restaurant to go collect their kids from school. Was terrifying.

We went to Disneyland a few days later and it was empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the 9/11 anniversary. Where were you when it happened and was it a conspiracy?
    How will we know where we were for the anniversary tomorrow until after it happens? And if you already know, then maybe it is a conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

9/11/01 coincided with mushroom season. :eek:

I learned that Americans don't swear, even when filming/fleeing from an event that would make Snow White turn the air blue. Also that they write their dates backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I can't really remember it at all. I was at school and remember seeing it on the news when I came home but went in to play video games like normal.

I don't think it could have been a conspiracy because it sounds too ridiculous a concept. It makes no sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

humanji wrote: »
    How will we know where we were for the anniversary tomorrow until after it happens? And if you already know, then maybe it is a conspiracy.

Edited for the pedantic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I was in the first week of secondary school in London and had got my first good mark in my journal from computing class, for the epic feat of remembering the top row of alphabetic keys on a keyboard (hint: qwertyuiop). Got home and found out about it, then spent the evening watching the tv. Spent the next day in school talking about ww3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I don't really think it was a conspiracy but I do think it was odd the way they fell down. It's just a pity no actual documentary has been made that looks at it rationally and with no bias.

I do, however, think that the Americans should get over it. It's not the worst thing that has ever happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I was in school. Got my head split open that same day.

I've watched a lot of documentaries on it and while I don't think it was a conspiracy per se, I do think there's something fishy about the whole thing. What that is though, I have no idea.

I don't really think it was a conspiracy but I do think it was odd the way they fell down. It's just a pity no actual documentary has been made that looks at it rationally and with no bias.

I do, however, think that the Americans should get over it. It's not the worst thing that has ever happened.

Without becoming one of those conspiracy nut jobs.

How can three buildings fall so perfectly?

I do not for a second fall into the camp of those conspiracy guys, it's just...well, there is something off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I was in school using the photocopier when the principal told me the twin towers had been hit by a plane. At the time it didn't really register what a big event it was, just had a mental image of this jeans ad :
    and a Cessna piloted by a monkey hitting them in a cartoonish manner.
    When I saw the actual footage of the event it was mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I was in my room watching TV on me day off,and whatever I was watching was interrupted by the RTÉ news bulletin,one of the towers had been hit at that stage and I remember it was Anthony Murnane reading the news at the time and watching while it was all unfolding-Murnane could barely speak properly and was crying while seeing people jumping/falling from the buildings.As for theories,it was said many times that the hijackers were taught how to fly planes in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Without becoming one of those conspiracy nut jobs.

How can three buildings fall so perfectly?

I do not for a second fall into the camp of those conspiracy guys, it's just...well, there is something off.

I love a good conspiracy theory. I never genuinely believe them but I do think that there was definitely something off. Especially with building 7. I just don't get how it fell of its own accord. And the fact that the towers just tumbled so neatly, one floor after the other. I don't know what to believe!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

At home, saw the news on a couple of channels (not RTE) had cut to it after the first plane struck. Contrary to what others have said in similar threads, the news reports at the time weren't just crying terrorist attack but mulling over the possibilities that a small plane's pilot might have been blinded by the sun and crashed into the side. Nobody was assuming the worst at that time or that it had been a passenger jet.

When the second one hit, that's when all hell broke loose. Still took a while though for RTE to move away from their regular scheduling as if not realising just how big the event was.

As to it being a conspiracy, no - not a chance. Not on something of that magnitude. Penn & Teller did a good piece on this and how people find a conspiracy because it's more comforting if you feel there's an idea of control to how bad things can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Munchies down the IFSC having lunch.

I love a good conspiracy theory. I never genuinely believe them but I do think that there was definitely something off. Especially with building 7. I just don't get how it fell of its own accord. And the fact that the towers just tumbled so neatly, one floor after the other. I don't know what to believe!

Insurance money.

I'm aware that by posting this that I fall into the category of people I don't like...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im getting sick of these threads every year, i burned out listening about 9/11, to be honest i could not give a sweet **** anymore about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Some of these conspiracy theories are so stunningly ridiculous and stupid, it's hard to believe there's enough weed in the world to make folks believe in them.

Why demolish bonus round buildings when you have already destroyed the important ones both financially and symbolically?

How difficult is it to believe that two huge jetliners, full of fuel, ramming in to a building at near their top speed at that altitude - a building designed to withstand a hit from a jet less than half their sizes and 1/2 the velocities, can bring down a building without the need of explosives(which bring far less energy and damage in to the equation unless the entire building was wired without anyone noticing)? You think explosives are loud? Imagine what several thousand tons of steel and concrete collapsing might sound like in an enclosed down town area.

The one that gets me about these theories is:
    Why involve everyone and their mother in a plot that would fall apart within days, if not before the plot was ever hatched, when the CIA could simply hire 6-8 assholes that are more than willing to learn to fly a few huge planes into a couple of buildings for free? The hard part would have been narrowing down all the candidates.
    Pow - only witnesses are CIA agents and Cheney.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement