Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCU League Cups 2013 not rated?

Options
  • 29-07-2013 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi, I notice that this year's Leinster League Cups haven't been included in ICU tournament ratings.

So for example

http://ratings.icu.ie/tournaments

doesn't have the Branagan Cup, or the Killane Shield, or the William Brennan Cup!

Does anybody know why it happened?

The cup competitions definitely took place; they ended in June and I played in one of them. The LCU website still has listings from the last year (2012): http://www.leinsterchess.com/cups2012/index.htm - but I couldn't find any information on this year's cups. No tables, no results, no winners. So I was wondering how long are we going to be kept in the dark?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I assume the results haven't been sent in yet. It's partly moot as the results, when they are submitted, can be slotted in in correct time order so that the ratings are still correct. I imagine if you're really interested, you should drop the controller a line, but other than that, I'd be fairly sure they'll be rated sooner or later.

Same problem with some of the Irish Championship tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Airbender

Well, we did speak to the controller a month ago, and we heard that the results were going to be posted on the LCU website before the end of June and subsequently submitted for ICU rating. You know the rest. :)

I can guess. :)

The new ratings site is brilliant; the only problem with it is that people's expectations are now after soaring! Want my new rating NOW, dammit!

Yes, the new ratings site is very good; it makes it easy to follow the events. As for 'want my rating NOW', I like this attitude. Chess players are destined to be a wee bit vain, don't you think? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran

The Brennan isn't even finished yet amazingly. Drogheda only won their semi final last weekend.

• Advertisement

Really? This is unbelievable. The other two cups must definitely be finished by now. I only have the results from the Branagan Cup; here they are:

Semifinals
    Elm Mount beat St Benildus 4.5-1.5
    Bray beat Balbriggan 5-1

Final
    Elm Mount beat Bray 4.5-1.5

There was another post on here which, strangely enough, didn't find its way onto this page. The User Bigtoe7 mentioned a useful resource, so I'll repost it, just in case.

BIGTOE7 WROTE:

"if players want they can calculate their own ratings, simple, here i put a link for a good one. Just put in your k factor in the calculator, your rating at start of tournament and your opponent's, and it tells you how many points you have lost or gained in that match and do that for all the matches you played in a tournament and add them all up. Only problem is that if one of your opponents gets bonus points it will have an effect on your result in that match.

http://www.3dkingdoms.com/chess/elo.htm "

Fairly sure the Killane is finished; it was only a small tournament compared to the others. Not sure it even had semi-finals. Think it was possibly even just one big group.

The Branagan Cup 2013 now rated: http://ratings.icu.ie/tournaments/329

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bigtoe7

this came out couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

The other two League cups still aren't rated. No results or tables on the LCU site either.

The Brennan Cup final hasn't been played yet. Elm Mount got through on Monday; they'll face Drogheda in the final.

The Killane and the Brennan are supposed to be rated before the September rating list is published. It would be a shame if they were to be omitted. Let's hope it won't come to this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Who won the William Brennan?

Don't think the final's been played yet.

Who won the Killane though? That should be played and rated by now surely? Was a much smaller tournament (one group, I think)

I wish I knew... The Killane is still not rated. Of the three cups, only the Branagan is. Unlike the last year, the LCU website gives no information on any of the cups, so we're left in the dark.

Inchicore's site gives this as the final table in the Killane -

Bray 24 13
    Inchicore 24 12
    Rathmines 24 12
    Elm Mount 24 11
    Phibsboro 24 11

That was posted two months ago. Controller mustn't have gotten around to sending the results in to be rated yet. I think it's Rory Delaney, who I think is fairly up to his eyes with college work. It's why the LCU made such an attempt to find a new tournament controller at the recent AGM, but no-one put themselves forward.

From the ICU website -
    For some time now, controllers have been recommended to submit rating reports as soon as possible after the end of a tournament so that players can log in to the ratings site to check their performance. For weekenders, that means the day after the tournament ends (or even the same night if possible). The problem is that some controllers are still taking weeks to submit.
    Today the ICU executive unanimously endorsed a proposal for a maximum delay of one week between the end of a tournament and reporting of its results. Note that for FIDE rated tournaments, this is in accordance with their regulation 9.1.
    No indication of what'll happen if a tournament isn't submitted in time, but presumably it just doesn't get rated.

That'd indicate that we'll either have Killane ratings in the next week, or people just lose out on any rating points gained.

If this is the case and the League Cups don't get rated this year, this will be their demise. Who will want to play in these competitions in 2014 if they are not rated? The controllers who are taking weeks or even months to submit are letting us down. They shouldn't be appointed to those positions ever again.

But if there's no-one going for the roles, then everyone has to shoulder some blame surely?

The current controller has indicated he wants away from the position because of time.

• Advertisement

Well, Rory Delaney can at least submit the rating reports for the Killane and the Brennan before he leaves. I wish him well and am grateful for all the hard work he's done but we definitely need somebody else for that role in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe it'll be the push needed to get more volunteers? That 2% rule is an absolute killer in almost every Irish sport :(

Airbender wrote: »
    Well, Rory Delaney can at least submit the rating reports for the Killane and the Brennan before he leaves.
    Don't forget the Brennan still isn't finished yet. I don't know what the rules are about sending in partially-completed tournaments for rating. Though I can be fairly sure Mark Orr wouldn't like it. :)

Cdeb, I am sure Mark won't like it. :) But the Brennan will definitely be finished one of these days, so let's hope the report will be submitted in due time.

Sparks, can you elaborate on that 2 per cent rule, please? Is it about volunteering? Does it apply to chess?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks, can you elaborate on that 2 per cent rule, please? Is it about volunteering? Does it apply to chess?

The rule goes "98% of the work is done by 2% of the people", and yes it's about volunteering. It seems to apply to darn near every Irish club (exceptions tend to be for certain sports in certain areas, like GAA football in Kerry -- the same sport in other areas still have the problem). Everyone I've ever talked to from any of the NGBs over the years has the same complaint (worse yet, noone has ever come up with a practical solution) :(

You're right, this is the main problem with amateur sport. As for the LCU, maybe one of the division controllers will step up and take up where Rory Delaney left off?

Course, the problem is that clubs have to be run too. And teams have to be captained. That takes a good cohort out of the running for LCU (myself included, for example). And then those who go to the LCU AGMs are, by definition, those who run the clubs and have less time available for to stand for the LCU. Bit of a Catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

There are new tournament controllers, but they weren't involved in running the cups. Submitting the results is Rory's job as far as I know, unless he's specifically handed the results over to someone else. I expect they'll be rated before long.

The Killane Shield was won by Drogheda who beat Elm Mount in the final 4.5-1.5. According to the Elm Mount site, this happened on the second week of June, i.e. two-and-a-half months ago. The results apparently haven't been submitted to the ICU, and so the competition isn't rated. The same fate probably awaits this year's William Brennan Cup. Who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

The Killane Shield was won by Drogheda who beat Elm Mount in the final 4.5-1.5. According to the Elm Mount site, this happened on the second week of June, i.e. two-and-a-half months ago. The results apparently haven't been submitted to the ICU, and so the competition isn't rated. The same fate probably awaits this year's William Brennan Cup. Who cares?

I think that's the 2012 result for the Killane Shield, as Drogheda didn't enter a team into it this year.

Drogheda still have to play Elm Mount in the final of the William Brennan.

Advertisement