Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Oh I'm very jealous Loubian!!

It's a first!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Wolfpawnat fair play for keeping up the night feeds. I seriously thought I was gonna go mad. Topping up with formula means instead of getting up 5 or 6 times a night we now only get up 2 or 3! I hated bf at the start I just felt like a big cow and was starting to resent L. I was only getting 30-40 mins between feeds and I was using that time to shower or eat while it seemed like Daddy was getting all the cuddle& the good stuff. I cried the first few times I topped her up with formula, I felt so guilty but after I got some sleep I felt like a new woman.

I noticed a lot of bf people (not on boards, but on fb groups) are militant anti formula and they really guilt mums for having supplemented, but as you said, it gives you a good nights sleep making you better able for everything. I am finding it exhausting. Not because of S but because my OH believes in the household getting up early. So she'd go bak to sleep about 6-6:30 and he and A get up at 7:30. I just want a little rest.

Glad A slept that long for you Loubian. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Can't believe my little baby is nearly one week old. Time flies when you're having fun. I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday, the tiredness got to me I think. I'm feeling much better today, it's crazy what a 20 minute sleep can do even. I'm loving the breast feeding but finding it hard that I have sole responsibility for feeding her. At least with everything else, it can be shared.
    The public health nurse called yesterday and weighed her at 6pound 14, just 4 ozs down from her birth weight. It really gave me great encouragement with the BF as I thought she had lost more. What had other people's babies lost after birth? I'm hoping 4 ozs is good?

S lost nearly 500g. Not sure what is in ounces. But in less than a week she rocketed 200g above birth weight with only bfing. It is harder. Are you expressing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

went from 7lb 6onz to 6lb 10onz, so thats 12onz loss. Now he is nearly 11lb. He was putting on 2onz every 3 days. One Hungry little boy. He started to get really bad cramps in his belly an hour after feeding and also spewed a lot sometimes vomiting never mind the unconscionable crying. We found out he was suffering from re-flux and was put on infant gaviscon 2 weeks ago. He is like a new baby ever since. He also had his 6 week check up today which he passed with flying colors:)

• Advertisement

How long does it roughly take to stop bleeding? I know you can have a period around week 4/5!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

loubian wrote: »
    How long does it roughly take to stop bleeding? I know you can have a period around week 4/5!

I was at least the full 3 weeks and more the first time. Not much more I don't think. I had my first period about 6 weeks I think.

nicowa wrote: »
    I was at least the full 3 weeks and more the first time. Not much more I don't think. I had my first period about 6 weeks I think.

Thanks for that. I heard it could be up to dix weeks alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

It took me six weeks to stop bleeding!

I have a cold :( I can't stop sneezing!

• Advertisement

Just weighed myself for the first time since giving birth. Ive lost 2 stone since the last time I was weighed (while pregnant!) n weigh less than I did when I got pregnant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

Lucky you Loubian I've another 1st 12lbs to go!!
    L had her first proper whingey day today. Shes decided she wants to fall asleep straight after every feed and not wind which means she's having tummy pains all day!

L had her first proper whingey day today. Shes decided she wants to fall asleep straight after every feed and not wind which means she's having tummy pains all day!

A does that too. She'll only take a third of her bottle and look like she's fast asleep so then trying to wind her is a nightmare n she throws her head back to be in a lying position. It seems the milk gets through her system easier when she's lying down so I usually let it settle for a few minutes n then try to wind her. Saying that, she'll be lying down after winding and be burping n making noises! So confusing!

A does that too. She'll only take a third of her bottle and look like she's fast asleep so then trying to wind her is a nightmare n she throws her head back to be in a lying position. It seems the milk gets through her system easier when she's lying down so I usually let it settle for a few minutes n then try to wind her. Saying that, she'll be lying down after winding and be burping n making noises! So confusing!

I hate the throwing the head back! L has also started to puke a lot , I don't mind at night after formula but not Breast milk!!! That's the good stuff!
    She just pooped everywhere including on the bed when I swapping over the nappies then got the hiccups and conked out so hopefully that's the sore tummy gone :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I'm saying 6 weeks cos I remember getting my period over my hen night which was at 12 weeks. Which would actually make it about 8 weeks I got my period. I just know we weren't taking any chances! :D

loubian, just make sure you're eating enough. Energy levels! :D But it' great to hear that you're doing good too.

I really hope I remember how to do all the burping stuff! It seems so far away... :O

Am iust home from a very eventful day. Went out for lunch wh my extended family for my cousins 21st, was getting the train home with my cousin n someone jumped under our train :( we were stuck on the train for an hour.. annabelle had to be fed so had to tske her out n feed her. Everyone was awwing and ahhing n someone called her the angel of the train. She made a very sad event manageable n lightened the mood a bit. Have to go get ready for the 21st now, but am sooo tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Aw bless... Talk about Annabelle being in the right place at the right time for everyone. What a horrible situation to find yourselves in.

RIP to the poor soul who felt the need to take their own life though, it's a terrible way to go. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I know it's not the place for it really but according to news reports the person hasn't died, seriously injured.

Glad that you're ok loubain and that Annabelle made people a little less on edge :)

January wrote: »
    I know it's not the place for it really but according to news reports the person hasn't died, seriously injured.

Glad that you're ok loubain and that Annabelle made people a little less on edge :)

Oh that's good to hear! The poor woman though.

How's everyone doing? I've a cold or allergies that won't budge, think A has a touch of it as she's sneezibg n sounds a bit blocked up. It's annoying coz if I slept well, it'd probably shift but still not sleeping great. A woke at 4.30 for a bottle this morning so she didnt sleep through but it could have been the fact she was in a different house. But other than that, she's doing really well and I'm feeling a lot better emotionally.

• Advertisement

How's everyone doing? I've a cold or allergies that won't budge, think A has a touch of it as she's sneezibg n sounds a bit blocked up. It's annoying coz if I slept well, it'd probably shift but still not sleeping great. A woke at 4.30 for a bottle this morning so she didnt sleep through but it could have been the fact she was in a different house. But other than that, she's doing really well and I'm feeling a lot better emotionally.

That's good news Loubian. The first few weeks are definitely the hardest, fulfilling their needs and surviving on very little sleep.
    I feel like I'm finding my rhythm a bit more now. It was extremely hard at the start to adjust to just having a few hours sleep. CR is so placid though, she's so easy to please. Apart from 2 unsettled days, she's been a dream so far. I'm very lucky. I don't know how I'd survive if I had to mind other children though.
    CR's father left to work abroad for a year this morning. I'm really upset about it as he doted on his baby and we got on so well the last 2 months in particular. Now I think that the best thing for CR is having a family unit. We'll see how the future pans out.

So glad that you are feeling better in yourself Loubian. Babies can be a bit disorientated the first night in a new place, she'll get used to going between the two houses very quickly :)

Icecreamqueen, that is hard him going away for so long, I can't imagine how difficult that will be fore you and CR, especially since ye were getting on so well. How are you finding the breastfeeding? Time consuming isn't it? I have to admit juggling that and a four year old is very hard some days and my patiences run thin and poor big brother gets given out to as he is misbehaving to compete for attention.

I have to say I am horrifically lonely these days. The OH is around and I did have my stepmother and my brother here last week (though that was EXTREMELY stressful and upsetting) the only good thing is my best friend (and unsuspecting candidate for Godmother) is coming in two weeks. I really can't wait. S is flying it now she is feeling better and I am after getting her hospital appointments sorted. We are in for a busy few months poor girl. I don't like the idea of all the poking and prodding :(

I have the bouts of loneliness too :(. I feel so blessed but there's something missing, I really miss my Mum :(. It's going to be a hundred times worse now with R gone. I've been so upset all day but I'm trying not to cry in front of the baby so I'm walking into my bedroom and having a little cry and back out to the baby again. I think I'll end up resenting him, being left here with a baby who is barely two weeks old. Fair enough he had a good job opportunity there but he has a good job here anyway, he just took a career break to go.

The breastfeeding is going really well. I've been so lucky so far. I've had sore breasts one or two days when my breasts were very heavy with milk but apart from that, it's going great. It seems to be working too as her birth weight was 7pound 2, she was weighed on a Monday at 6 pound 14 and then weighed last Friday at 7 pound 3. So she put on 5 ozs in five days which I was delighted with :).

Is S ok Wolfpawnat? It's very worrying at that age when they're ill. They're so small and it's hard to know what's wrong with them.

I have the bouts of loneliness too :(. I feel so blessed but there's something missing, I really miss my Mum :(. It's going to be a hundred times worse now with R gone. I've been so upset all day but I'm trying not to cry in front of the baby so I'm walking into my bedroom and having a little cry and back out to the baby again. I think I'll end up resenting him, being left here with a baby who is barely two weeks old. Fair enough he had a good job opportunity there but he has a good job here anyway, he just took a career break to go.

The breastfeeding is going really well. I've been so lucky so far. I've had sore breasts one or two days when my breasts were very heavy with milk but apart from that, it's going great. It seems to be working too as her birth weight was 7pound 2, she was weighed on a Monday at 6 pound 14 and then weighed last Friday at 7 pound 3. So she put on 5 ozs in five days which I was delighted with :).

I understand the father thing to a certain extent. My OH is out most days doing college related things (I get resentful that I never got to go back and he did) and I am stuck in all the time with the kids. He gets to do pastimes and other interests, I am sitting on my butt at home, I don't get a pastime. It is nowhere near the same as being left for a year though :(

I really am gutted I have no family I can just even talk to. I would love to just have a proper chat with someone in my family, about what I was like, what weight I was, what way was I fed, but I just can't, and it feels so crappy since my family are alive, but just not people I can talk to.

Wow she shot up in weight. S plummeted then in days went well passed her birth weight which is great.

S has a few physical issues that need a bit of sorting/care. She has click hip so that needs ultrasounds and x-rays to see what way to best deal with it, her head is in the 5 percentile so they have to monitor that carefully, though she is a dainty thing all round so they aren't too concerned but they still have to keep an eye on it and she has to have physio on her feet and ankles for another issue. It was a bit overwhelming getting 7 appointment letters in 2 days for her though, I just wish I had family I could talk to. Feeling kinda crappy like it is my fault she has these issues, even though it's not, but still.

Sorry Wolfpawnat, I had a long reply typed last night but my phone went dead :(. I understand the whole family thing. I had a big fall out with my Dad during the pregnancy and I feel like he got everyone in my family on his side and now I feel like I have no one to trust or talk to.
    You should definitely talk to your partner, especially when S gets a bit bigger. You deserve your Me time too.
    Hopefully S won't have to have too many appointments in hospital, at least she'll be well looked after. It's very worrying though, they're so small and helpless at this age. You just want to wrap them up in cotton wool and protect them.

Sorry Wolfpawnat, I had a long reply typed last night but my phone went dead :(. I understand the whole family thing. I had a big fall out with my Dad during the pregnancy and I feel like he got everyone in my family on his side and now I feel like I have no one to trust or talk to.
    You should definitely talk to your partner, especially when S gets a bit bigger. You deserve your Me time too.
    Hopefully S won't have to have too many appointments in hospital, at least she'll be well looked after. It's very worrying though, they're so small and helpless at this age. You just want to wrap them up in cotton wool and protect them.

I haven't spoken to my mother in 5 years. I had no support for either pregnancy. It is hard juggling both kids at the moment. Having family to talk to would make life so much easier.

S will be fine. Just worried for her. Not the best way to start life.

Finally got my nappy bag n splurged on dresses for A :) then they nearly fell in the puddles!

Had a follow up appointment with the psychiatric doc in holles st, everything is fine. I have my other counsellor anyway if I needed to talk to someone.

Wolf, hope S is ok. Hope everyone else's babies are doing well too xxx

Finally got my nappy bag n splurged on dresses for A :) then they nearly fell in the puddles!

Had a follow up appointment with the psychiatric doc in holles st, everything is fine. I have my other counsellor anyway if I needed to talk to someone.

Wolf, hope S is ok. Hope everyone else's babies are doing well too xxx

Glad things are going well for you Loubian and glad you got a few bits for A.

S has physio today, she did well and we have another appointment in 2 weeks so we will do all her exercises and hopefully she will be sorted then. :) She is doing so well thank goodness.

• Advertisement

L is getting so big! She never stops eating, at her 2 week check up she had already put on 2lb.She's hulking out of her 0-3 month vests and baby grows at 4 weeks now and is the filling of the moses basket!!

I'm finally starting to feel a bit like my old self again. My friend has a 4 month old and when I asked her why she didn't warn me about how terrible you feel the first few weeks she said if people did that no one would ever have a baby ;-)

Advertisement