Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Where did you get the compresses Xalot? I have a huge crack thats weeping yellow goo?

I picked them up in Boots before but they weren't on display for some reason. I had to ask for them from behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

Thanks ladies! I'm with the gp on Thursday so I'll see if she can give me anything? One of my boobs has already dried up cos it was constantly bleeding so I was just pumping that and I'm already topping L up with formula!
    I hated breast feeding so much at the start. I wish this was a trial run and I could start all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

xalot wrote: »
    I've spent a fortune on stuff for my boobs for breastfeeding - so much for it being more economical then bottle feeding!
    I have found that everything for breastfeeding mums is double the price of formula feeders, it's like the companies know they will get less business from us so they are going to make everything cost a fortune so they will still make the same profits. I paid €12 for milk bags, just 50 of them, when you think about I try to get a portion a day into one, sometimes two, that won't last me 2 months!
    I hated breast feeding so much at the start. I wish this was a trial run and I could start all over again!

The weird thing is everyone always says "it's not normal for it to be painful" or "it's easy even from the beginning". THEY ARE ALL LYING!!!! Seriously, everyone I have spoken to had problems to start with. It was the definition of hell on earth. Sorry to hear one boob is dried, I have one boob that is nowhere near the supply of the other, it was the one in agony to begin with. I try to boost it, but she gets frustrated as she only gets about an ounce at most from it and seems to almost realise when I am positioning her what boob it is and gets fussy :(

How's everyone finding their babies? I thought I had the dream baby but in the last week she's getting harder and harder to settle. She's seems to be hungry a lot more, she isn't sleeping for as long during the day or at night, she wakes up within minutes of being put into the Moses basket after a good feed and she cries cries cries for long periods. Her appetite seems insatiable. Every day or two, I've consciously held her after feeds to make sure she has digested her milk a bit but when I put her into her Moses basket, she pukes up some of her milk. I thought it was a growth spurt but now 'm not quite sure. Could it be reflux or colic??

How's everyone finding their babies? I thought I had the dream baby but in the last week she's getting harder and harder to settle. She's seems to be hungry a lot more, she isn't sleeping for as long during the day or at night, she wakes up within minutes of being put into the Moses basket after a good feed and she cries cries cries for long periods. Her appetite seems insatiable. Every day or two, I've consciously held her after feeds to make sure she has digested her milk a bit but when I put her into her Moses basket, she pukes up some of her milk. I thought it was a growth spurt but now 'm not quite sure. Could it be reflux or colic??

I had S's 6 week checkup today. She is after putting on a kg in 6 weeks. So proud :D

I know the feeling icecreamqueen. It's the "wonder week" for you this week isn't it? Week 5? That is apparently normal. S will only sleep in arms and splutters up milk too. I asked the doctor today and apparently (all docs seem to differ in opinions) crying and tensing stomach = colic. Crying and vomiting = reflux. Apparently bf babies stomachs are more relaxed than ff, and as a result they spit up a lot, if they don't seem in pain, it is nothing to worry about. But check with your own gp if you are worried.

I need to organise her BCG actually, still so much to do. It is hard to juggle one starting school and herself some days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

That could be colic? The phn said colic is when they cry for three hours steaight for three weeks straight. I've started to give A infacol n it really helps her get the wind up. Before it was really hard to get her wind up n it would build up n cause her a lot if pain. Now she is getting it up alot easier, even though she might still get a small pain, it's a lot better. Her sleeping patterns are still all over the place. She might sleep for one hour after feeding then be awake for an hour. Then other times she's out for hours n its hsrd to wake her up for her bottle. She seems tofall into a deep ssleep after her 8/9 bottle and last two nights I've woke her to feed at 11/12 hoping after it she'll sleep til 5 but she's woke at 3.30. So ill be stopping that. I'm so exhausted and I couldn't help but get a little cranky n upset last night n resenting the fact that I'm a single mother. I know I'm doing a great job, but I just want someone to take the night feeds even for one night. But then if i asked someone, I'd feel guilty for them losing their sleep and they'd have to take A into their room n I'd miss her tbh!But iI'll battle through.

Other than that though, she is thriving. She got weighed last Friday and she is 8lb 1 now :) she's so gorgeous and everyone who sees her automatically says "look at the head of hair on her" ha! I love her so much!

Icescreamqueen, maybe try your lo wh infacol. They're able to take it from birth. Also someone else mentioned here to put something under the mattress of the moses basket to raise her up a bit if she does have reflux!

loubian wrote: »
    That could be colic? The phn said colic is when they cry for three hours steaight for three weeks straight. I've started to give A infacol n it really helps her get the wind up. Before it was really hard to get her wind up n it would build up n cause her a lot if pain. Now she is getting it up alot easier, even though she might still get a small pain, it's a lot better. Her sleeping patterns are still all over the place. She might sleep for one hour after feeding then be awake for an hour. Then other times she's out for hours n its hsrd to wake her up for her bottle. She seems tofall into a deep ssleep after her 8/9 bottle and last two nights I've woke her to feed at 11/12 hoping after it she'll sleep til 5 but she's woke at 3.30. So ill be stopping that. I'm so exhausted and I couldn't help but get a little cranky n upset last night n resenting the fact that I'm a single mother. I know I'm doing a great job, but I just want someone to take the night feeds even for one night. But then if i asked someone, I'd feel guilty for them losing their sleep and they'd have to take A into their room n I'd miss her tbh!But iI'll battle through.

Other than that though, she is thriving. She got weighed last Friday and she is 8lb 1 now :) she's so gorgeous and everyone who sees her automatically says "look at the head of hair on her" ha! I love her so much!

Icescreamqueen, maybe try your lo wh infacol. They're able to take it from birth. Also someone else mentioned here to put something under the mattress of the moses basket to raise her up a bit if she does have reflux!

We are honestly living parallel lives. I feel the same way about being a single mother. Even though I think there's a future with her Dad now, he's hundreds of miles away and no help. My sister stayed with me the last few days and I felt so guilty for keeping her awake with the baby crying. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. Any other thing that was hard in my life, I could eventually walk away from but obviously a little baby is completely different. It can be a very lonely life doing it on your own but I love her to bits too and wouldn't change her for the world. It will get easier though. My neighbour has a 10 month old baby girl and I visited them yesterday. The difference in the two babies was unbelievable. The 10 month old had her bottle on the floor feeding herself. She was so independent even at that age.

Congrats on getting her weight up. CS is 8 pounds now. She still feels so light.

I have booked an appointment with my GP as I'm worried about baby and just can't pinpoint what it is myself.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I had S's 6 week checkup today. She is after putting on a kg in 6 weeks. So proud :D

I know the feeling icecreamqueen. It's the "wonder week" for you this week isn't it? Week 5? That is apparently normal. S will only sleep in arms and splutters up milk too. I asked the doctor today and apparently (all docs seem to differ in opinions) crying and tensing stomach = colic. Crying and vomiting = reflux. Apparently bf babies stomachs are more relaxed than ff, and as a result they spit up a lot, if they don't seem in pain, it is nothing to worry about. But check with your own gp if you are worried.

I need to organise her BCG actually, still so much to do. It is hard to juggle one starting school and herself some days.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard of the wonder week. CS is only one month old today though? I just wish I had the answers. She doesn't seem to be in pain, maybe more hungry I think. I'm worried about my supply so Fenugreek capsules were recommended to me. Hopefully that will work with improving supply and satisfying her hunger.

Congrats on the weight gain too. The BF is really paying off :)

We are honestly living parallel lives. I feel the same way about being a single mother. Even though I think there's a future with her Dad now, he's hundreds of miles away and no help. My sister stayed with me the last few days and I felt so guilty for keeping her awake with the baby crying. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. Any other thing that was hard in my life, I could eventually walk away from but obviously a little baby is completely different. It can be a very lonely life doing it on your own but I love you to bits too and wouldn't change her for the world. It will get easier though. My neighbour has a 10 month old baby girl and I visited them yesterday. The difference in the two babies was unbelievable. The 10 month old had her bottle on the floor feeding herself. She was so independent even at that age.

Congrats on getting her weight up. CS is 8 pounds now. She still feels so light.

I have booked an appointment with my GP as I'm worried about baby and just can't pinpoint what it is myself.

That's great that you might work it out with the father. For me, I won't ever be wh him. He's asking about the birth cert. I'm not going to let him sign it because it's all he seems interested in n toe it screams that he's just using my baby to get a permanent visa. A friend said there was a loophole that if he's on s student visa and has a baby, he can get transferred to a permanent visa. I know it sounds mean but he's the one that has led me to feel this way. I just don't trust him.

Anyway!! Yeh I'm the same. If it's possible, I might just head out for a walk by myself later. Maybe you could do the same if someone could mind your lo? I was thinking about it, n you're spending all day everyday with this person, n I think it's only natural to get a bit frustrated with them. If it was an adult, we wouldn't feel as guilty about getting frustrated with them. I'm thinking of going back to college to study french n music and going on to do a hdip. The place I'm working in now, I'm not interested in the field, I won't progress to a higher wage unless I do exams n I don't want to do that. I love both french n music n have always wanted to teach music, n it would also mean I wouldn't need a childminder in the summer. It's a big risk but I think it'd be worth it in the end.

That's good that you made the appointment. If you're anxious, you won't be able to rest properly yourself n you need that. Do you find it hard going out somewhere if you're bf?

It'd be amazing to teach those two subjects Loubian. Definitely go for it. I'm a teacher and it's such a rewarding job and the holidays are a great bonus.

That situation with the babies father sounds very upsetting and I'm sure it feels like you're going around in roundabouts.

CS just isn't settling today again. My GP is away until Friday. I'll wait until then to see her. CS just feels like a completely different child compared to last week.

• Advertisement

It'd be amazing to teach those two subjects Loubian. Definitely go for it. I'm a teacher and it's such a rewarding job and the holidays are a great bonus.

That situation with the babies father sounds very upsetting and I'm sure it feels like you're going around in roundabouts.

CS just isn't settling today again. My GP is away until Friday. I'll wait until then to see her. CS just feels like a completely different child compared to last week.

Oh you're a teacher? Secondary ir primary? I may have a few questions for you in a while when I think if thrm uf you don't mind me asking them?

He doesn't text which is great but I dunno whether to take it as him not caring or him giving me space. It is like going in circles alright. I guess I'll just deal with him when the time comes.

The wonder weeks can gome at different stages I think with each baby. Maybe your lo is going through it. A was a bit unsettled around week four, I think you just have to try your best to get through it knowing it will all settle down eventually.

Going crazy. She hasn't stopped crying all day. She fell asleep for 45 mins max since we got up at 9.30. I was all set to go in to register her but she just wouldn't stop crying. She's getting too used to being up n I know I posted something in the newborn forum n people sre saying to judt hold her but I can't do it all the time. The house needs to be cleaned, washes have to be put on, bottles have to be made. I have to brush my teeth, go to the toilet. I know the sling is an option but I hsve a bad bsck, can't be doing that all the time either. I know I sound like a terrible mother who doesn't want to hold her child. I do but I want her to get the best sleep possible and that's in her pram or cot. Another thing is she seems starving after 2.5 hours. How do you know to move on to hungry baby formula? And now the infacol doesn't seem to be working as well. I'm going to start tearing my hair out. Last night I waa fine, we had a good sleep but when Iccouldn't even brush my teeth this morning without having to run to her because she was screaming on the top of her lungs, I lost it. I'm so bad :( had to go to the next room n scream into pillows. I'm going back to my counsellor in a few weeks. This isn't nice. Please don't judge me :(

As I write this I am bouncing S on my lap, she is crying all day, only stopping to eat and starting again immediately after. I ate dinner to a crying baby. My head is wrecked. It really puts you in a bad mood. Sure everyone says just pick them up, but in the real world that isn't always an option. There's no shame in that, you can only do what you can. xx

Loubian, just reading this now. It's very hard hearing your baby cry. I said it to my PHN who is amazing, about the baby crying a lot and she said that if she is well fed, has a clean nappy and there doesn't seem to be much else wrong then let the baby cry and self soothe. I tried it a few times, I let the baby cry until she calmed herself down. You feel very cruel but at the same time, it's so hard to be glued to them all the time. Maybe I'm completely wrong though. One night my baby stop-start fed from 6-3 in the morning. I couldn't take anymore it was exhausting. I just dug my face into the pillow and cried. As someone very wise said to me, lack of sleep just drives you demented. I wouldn't feel bad at all.

I took baby for a check up to see the GP this morning. I was trying to pinpoint if baby had colic or reflux. I'm doubting now that she does as she had a few settled days but I'll bring her back next week to be sure.

Loubian, just reading this now. It's very hard hearing your baby cry. I said it to my PHN who is amazing, about the baby crying a lot and she said that if she is well fed, has a clean nappy and there doesn't seem to be much else wrong then let the baby cry and self soothe. I tried it a few times, I let the baby cry until she calmed herself down. You feel very cruel but at the same time, it's so hard to be glued to them all the time. Maybe I'm completely wrong though. One night my baby stop-start fed from 6-3 in the morning. I couldn't take anymore it was exhausting. I just dug my face into the pillow and cried. As someone very wise said to me, lack of sleep just drives you demented. I wouldn't feel bad at all.

I took baby for a check up to see the GP this morning. I was trying to pinpoint if baby had colic or reflux. I'm doubting now that she does as she had a few settled days but I'll bring her back next week to be sure.

Thanks for replying. I would like to try self soothing but she works herself up so much she just stops mid scream n you have yo pick her up to get her to release the cry. I'm just afraid she won't take the breath. I'm in for her six week check up next week so I'll mention it to him then.

How's everyone's joints? I feel very stiff n my knees sre quite sore. Probably from carrying around my heavy self when I was pregnant. I'm trying to get out walking every day so hopefully that will help.

Loubian, I was in town today for S's physio (she has been discharged from it now, that problem is corrected thank goodness) I went and bought a baby carrier, I can't get 5 minutes of rest so I am just going to put her in that and bring her around with me. I can only hope it will work!

My back is sore, but I think that is because of always feeding her leaning forward. I need to sit back more.

Loubian, I was in town today for S's physio (she has been discharged from it now, that problem is corrected thank goodness) I went and bought a baby carrier, I can't get 5 minutes of rest so I am just going to put her in that and bring her around with me. I can only hope it will work!

My back is sore, but I think that is because of always feeding her leaning forward. I need to sit back more.

I find my back is very stiff from breastfeeding. I'm awful because I feed her sitting up in bed when she feeds at night. I need to bring the rocking chair back into my bedroom and get into a habit of using that at nighy. I highly recommend the Brestfriend nursing pillow. It's amazing and supports you and the baby. I haven't stopped raving about it. I bought mine from Medicare.ie.

I find my back is very stiff from breastfeeding. I'm awful because I feed her sitting up in bed when she feeds at night. I need to bring the rocking chair back into my bedroom and get into a habit of using that at nighy. I highly recommend the Brestfriend nursing pillow. It's amazing and supports you and the baby. I haven't stopped raving about it. I bought mine from Medicare.ie.

I have one from my son but it is in Clare (great place for it, across the damn country) have you ever fed lying down, I love it at night, only thing is I tend to doze off if she does the same as your lassie, 3-6 on/off feeds.

Where did you get your sling, wolf? Is it a cloth one? I have one but its very bulky and doesn't look comfortable at all. I might look into getting a cloth one!

I have a rocking chair in my room and I used it once! I think it's just easier to have everything done around my bed!

Where did you get your sling, wolf? Is it a cloth one? I have one but its very bulky and doesn't look comfortable at all. I might look into getting a cloth one!

I have a rocking chair in my room and I used it once! I think it's just easier to have everything done around my bed!

I was given a sling, it is cloth, she hates it. But I got a carrier thing for my chest today. I can apparently nurse with it on too. It was half price in Argos.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3768600/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CNursery%7C14417537/c_2/3%7C18793869%7CPushchairs%2C+prams+and+carriers%7C14417542/c_3/4%7Ccat_14417542%7CBaby+carriers%7C14417553.htm

• Advertisement

Anyone else's baby constantly fidgeting? A is moving all the time, arms n legs always up n kicking about. It's a regular occurrence that she hits herself in the face!!

Anyone else's baby constantly fidgeting? A is moving all the time, arms n legs always up n kicking about. It's a regular occurrence that she hits herself in the face!!

I have to cut S's nails twice a week, otherwise she will look like she's been butchered. Her hands are always on the go :)

I have to cut S's nails twice a week, otherwise she will look like she's been butchered. Her hands are always on the go :)

I didn't think babies moved so much! I suppose that's one of the reasons thry need to wat so often is that they use up so much energy!

I didn't think babies moved so much! I suppose that's one of the reasons thry need to wat so often is that they use up so much energy!

As much as we feel them moving in us, we don't actually get to feel the half of it. It's weird really, we are told nothing of those sorts of things. S is far more active than her brother was. But it helps them grow too.

How has A been today? Is she still crying a lot?

As much as we feel them moving in us, we don't actually get to feel the half of it. It's weird really, we are told nothing of those sorts of things. S is far more active than her brother was. But it helps them grow too.

How has A been today? Is she still crying a lot?

I guess not! They're surrounded by water and organs; its going to be masked!

She was fine today, she was out wuth my mum til the afternoon n then was sleeping most of the day which is great. She slept six hours last night. Hopefully she'll do the same tonight. She still has a bit of difficulty getting her wind up n it builds up n causes her pain. That's when she cries. But she is getting better.

How are s and a? Is a enjoying school?

I guess not! They're surrounded by water and organs; its going to be masked!

She was fine today, she was out wuth my mum til the afternoon n then was sleeping most of the day which is great. She slept six hours last night. Hopefully she'll do the same tonight. She still has a bit of difficulty getting her wind up n it builds up n causes her pain. That's when she cries. But she is getting better.

How are s and a? Is a enjoying school?

I am delighted you got some rest, it makes it so much easier to deal with everything. I hear you on the wind thing. S has it too. I gave her infacol to see if it would help and she just threw it all up so not sure what to do.

A loves school. The only thing is the 30 min walk each way but could be worse. It is great for him to be out of the house and have friends his own age and not to be just seeing a small crying baby all day every day.

I am delighted you got some rest, it makes it so much easier to deal with everything. I hear you on the wind thing. S has it too. I gave her infacol to see if it would help and she just threw it all up so not sure what to do.

A loves school. The only thing is the 30 min walk each way but could be worse. It is great for him to be out of the house and have friends his own age and not to be just seeing a small crying baby all day every day.

A still doesn't like the infacol, have to put it on my fingers sometimes for her to suck it off. She won't swallow it otherwise.

That's great :) so glad he's settling in well! How's your oh getting on in college?

Has anyone received their child benefit yet? Does anyone know if we get it from the day the babies were born or what's the story? I'm going to register CS's birth tomorrow so I can apply then.

Has anyone received their child benefit yet? Does anyone know if we get it from the day the babies were born or what's the story? I'm going to register CS's birth tomorrow so I can apply then.

I just registered A today, n they told me that I'd get a letter about cb. Dunno what it will say!

A has a rash on her face, I thought it was from the bottles but it's going down on to her neck. It might be eczema. Have the doc on Thursday anyway but her poor face looks sore :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You don't get it for the month they are born, so whether they were born on the 1st of July or the 31st of July, the first payment will be from August. You will get a letter in the post that you have to return to them and the payment will be backdated to Augusts payment.

Advertisement