Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another suicide linked to Ask.fm, what are ye opinions on this?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Ammonite wrote: »
    I'm sick of these websites getting all the blame when this happens.

People are very quick to blame ask.fm and the likes. I can't help thinking it's a cop out, especially given the background of some of these cases.

IMO there's always much more to it
    I agree with all that.
    Ask.fm are claiming that the girl in question, Hanah Smith, posted most of the offensive material herself. They said they can prove this by tracing IP addresses.
    If this is so, is it more a case of troubled teenagers using these websites to draw attention to themselves in a desperate kind of way.
    There is no point in scapegoating internet websites when something like this happens, the problem is normally elsewhere, i.e. closer to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

Jesus!! Has the comments been made available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I agree with all that.
    Ask.fm are claiming that the girl in question, Hanah Smith, posted most of the offensive material herself. They said they can prove this by tracing IP addresses.
    If this is so, is it more a case of troubled teenagers using these websites to draw attention to themselves in a desperate kind of way.
    There is no point in scapegoating internet websites when something like this happens, the problem is normally elsewhere, i.e. closer to home.

Indeed. In the Erin Gallagher case, it was reported much later that those who were alleged to have written the bullying comments (who have got a lot of abuse since) didn't in fact do so, and it was in fact imposters. Don't know how true that story is, but will be interesting to see what comes of the forthcoming legal case...

The new Hannah Smith angle is shocking if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

You can argue about the rights and wrongs of blaming a website til the cows come home if you want, but anything that facilitates the anonymous abuse of others with practical impunity has no place in any society.
    Presumably An Post should be shut down too. I mean, anyone could send you a letter. Imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

goose2005 wrote: »
    Presumably An Post should be shut down too. I mean, anyone could send you a letter. Imagine!

An Post don't get to see what's inside most letters but I suspect that if abusive postcards were sent they might be acted upon. Anyway, that's a real red herring and the basic fact is that there are far too many poorly moderated sites preying on vulnerable kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Didn't I read this morning that the girl posted the majority of the abusive messages to herself? Well the messages came from the same IP address.

While it is possible the same IP address does not indicate her they are a bit far fetched. If it wasn't her it is likely to be somebody in her house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

An Post don't get to see what's inside most letters but I suspect that if abusive postcards were sent they might be acted upon. Anyway, that's a real red herring and the basic fact is that there are far too many poorly moderated sites preying on vulnerable kids.

When you figure out a way to moderate millions of posts a day, then come back to us...

The alternative is for Ask.fm to remove the anonymous answering of questions and only registered profiles to be able to post, and their profile name seen. And having the ability to report offensive posts, and having actions dealt to them depending on severity of the offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The alternative is for Ask.fm to remove the anonymous answering of questions and only registered profiles to be able to post, and their profile name seen. And having the ability to report offensive posts, and having actions dealt to them depending on severity of the offence.
    There is no such thing as anonymous anything on the internet. Every interaction is traceable to the device which was used. If anyone posts material which is in breach of the law, they are open to prosecution. It is the easiest crime in the world to detect. The fact that almost no prosecutions have resulted from all the so-called cyber-bullying we hear about, means that it is probably not as big a problem that everyone seems to think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as anonymous anything on the internet. Every interaction is traceable to the device which was used. If anyone posts material which is in breach of the law, they are open to prosecution. It is the easiest crime in the world to detect. The fact that almost no prosecutions have resulted from all the so-called cyber-bullying we hear about, means that it is probably not as big a problem that everyone seems to think it is.

Can't believe someone took my post and actually responded with this...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Didn't I read this morning that the girl posted the majority of the abusive messages to herself? Well the messages came from the same IP address.

While it is possible the same IP address does not indicate her they are a bit far fetched. If it wasn't her it is likely to be somebody in her house.

Does she have any brothers or sisters that could have sent them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ray Palmer wrote: »

According to the Daily Mail this morning...

the social networking site insists that she set up most of the anonymous identities used to bombard her own page, it has been reported.
    A source at the firm based in Riga, Latvia, said: ‘With the Hannah case, the company have looked at every identity – the [computer] IP addresses are trackable. She posted the anonymous things herself.’

[...]The firm claims that up to 98 per cent of the messages sent to Hannah came from the same IP address as her own computer. Only four posts were sent from a different machine, it has been reported.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389212/Suicide-teen-trolled-say-Latvian-website-chiefs-Father-girl-14-hanged-furious-Ask-fm-claim.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

tin79 wrote: »
    Does she have any brothers or sisters that could have sent them?
    Doesn't that put a completely different spin of it either way? It was either her or her family posting the nasty comments.

Advertisement