Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meter Charges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Cleroprata bathed in milk, in a couple of years this might end up been the cheaper option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

scudo2 wrote: »
    Cleroprata bathed in milk, in a couple of years this might end up been the cheaper option.

So do I. That's why my skin looks so soft & lovely. I personally find that semi-skimmed works best for sallow skin.

shane0007 wrote: »
    So do I. That's why my skin looks so soft & lovely. I personally find that semi-skimmed works best for sallow skin.

"Sallow" one hell of an understatment going by your photo on website. Hope your RGI card is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

"Sallow" one hell of an understatment going by your photo on website. Hope your RGI card is better.

Eeek Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

So did a certain lady who lived in Park House, Grange Road in Rathfarnham, Princess Caracholi, long before the papparzie came about. Anyone remember this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 hoplon

What filters do they built in that removes sulphuric acid that is in rain water?
    I wonder would they put that in writing & get approval from the EPA who have the responsibility of monitoring water supplies in this country.
    Is it not just your safety but the safety of every person that could potentially come in contact with water supplied by your property.
    If they can guarantee that you can "fail safe" supply water within the EU Water Regs, then well & good & I completely accept the viability of it. Then it's just down to the economics of installing it & maintaining it. Until then I am a sceptic.

I have considered harvesting rain water for a while and have been thinking how could I use this to reduce water usage.
    Im not interested in the idea of doing it for drinking water or anything other than flushing toilets as the amount used in toilets is a lot of the overall consumption, plus whatever is left for watering the garden.
    I am not sure how corrosive this 5.5pH rain water is, how much effect might it have on plumbing if its isolated for filling toilets only?
    If it is an issue even with non copper piping, then something like a water softener that reduces acidity.
    Im also thinking if I can collect the water from bathing to use to flush toilets, it seems a waste to just let it drain away especially if we are paying for it.
    It all depends on whether meters are installed or not, if it is a flat rate charge it wont be worth doing anything as there will be no savings in conserving water.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Have been thinking along these lines for a while now.

The Government need to outline definitively what they intend to do, install, charge and waive.

I want to try to capture rainwater using a simple system to swap for toilet use only. In addition, replacing w.c. suites with more efficient models is on the cards................only if the metering is definite... but when if at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

BTW Surely it's Carbonic acid in rain that we're concerned with here?

H2O + CO2 = H2CO3 :rolleyes:

BTW Surely it's Carbonic acid in rain that we're concerned with here?

H2O + CO2 = H2CO3 :rolleyes:

Acid rain is sulphur based. Sulphur content comes from industries & burning of fossil fuels such as home heating, cars, planes, etc.

Next EU directives on a domestic level will be dealing with NoX & SoX levels. They are already regulated in commercial applications but they have made their intentions clear for the domestic markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hoplon

Acid rain is sulphur based. Sulphur content comes from industries & burning of fossil fuels such as home heating, cars, planes, etc.

Next EU directives on a domestic level will be dealing with NoX & SoX levels. They are already regulated in commercial applications but they have made their intentions clear for the domestic markets.

Ireland has a fairly low level of air pollution due to prevailing wind and low levels of heavy industry.
    http://www.eea.europa.eu/soer/countries/ie/soertopic_view?topic=air%20pollution

How will moderate levels of rainwater acidification affect water used to flush toilets I wonder. I can see copper or maybe lead piping might be affected, but plastics? might help clean the bowl :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

The important thing here is that a meter is going to be installed per residence.

Once the meter is in.. and a account number is set up... charges can be rapidly increased.

For example... a electricity meter is 33.5 cent / day... for a 30 day month that works out at 10.05 euro per month.

Then add the LEVY ............ PSO of 2.42 euro / month...

Now we are up to 12.47 euro ............... but it's not over yet....

Now we add on VAT at 13.5%............... which becomes 13.98 euro / month.

That is just to have a ESB meter... without even using any electricity.

A gas meter is around 7.40 euro / month...

So a water meter.... ah well, once it is up and running it will become the NEW PLAYTHING of the sadists............ something to needle the citizen with.

Within 10 years it will be comparable to the ESB meter at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Honestly it wont be too bad if its kept in a public bodies hands.
    If we start going down the privatisation route, and companies start coming in to make a profit like the UK then I will be worried.
    Look what happened with waste management once it was taken out of the hands of the council

Honestly it wont be too bad if its kept in a public bodies hands.
    If we start going down the privatisation route, and companies start coming in to make a profit like the UK then I will be worried.
    Look what happened with waste management once it was taken out of the hands of the council

Your worries can be confirmed, once the meters are installed, it will be privatized as soon as possible. Can you name the front runner too buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Your worries can be confirmed, once the meters are installed, it will be privatized as soon as possible. Can you name the front runner too buy.
    Unless there is confirmation of it being privatised I don't listen to rumours etc at this early stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Unless there is confirmation of it being privatised I don't listen to rumours etc at this early stage.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/800-bord-gais-staff-in-line-for-60000-windfalls-29458006.html

The disposal is a key part of the troika bailout programme, and any deal reached is expected to be finalised by the end of the year.

Its only a matter of time......

Everything will be up for sale......thanks to Ze Germans.:(

I wouldn't call it a rumor, it is the natural progression of things in this state.

My game is up! I have to come clean & admit I have a bid in for buying it off our ginger leader. I would appreciate if we could keep it just between ourselves. Nothing is signed just yet & I would hate for it to get into the public domain....

Hmmm.....

My game is up! I have to come clean & admit I have a bid in for buying it off our ginger leader. I would appreciate if we could keep it just between ourselves. Nothing is signed just yet & I would hate for it to get into the public domain....

Hmmm.....

Your secret is safe with me, I might mention it in the pub tomorrow night, there is only about twenty there on a Wednesday.

Your secret is safe with me, I might mention it in the pub tomorrow night, there is only about twenty there on a Wednesday.

Will Bertie or Cowan be there?????:pac:

Bertie has a gammy leg and has gone very bloated looking these days....saw him last month with a female friend of his down at Artane Castle.

All those pints of Bass must be catching up with him.:pac::pac::D

paddy147 wrote: »
    Will Bertie or Cowan be there?????:pac:

Bertie has a gammy leg and has gone very bloated looking these days....saw him last month with a female friend of his down at Artane Castle.

All those pints of Bass must be catching up with him.:pac::pac::D

Could be the auld gout, he only calls in with Biffo every second week. This year he is busy on his speaking tours, but had to cancel one which cost him, in order too rescue Squee in his hour of need. I see big bird was too busy to attend, or the clown that diverted the government jet to make a lodgment, in the Caymens, so much for statesmen. Fantastic country, the only thing going for us is the sun.

• Advertisement

Aye, he was spotted recently after that lay up....

Around 5.5 for rainwater in my location

Tested my rainwater today. 7.6
    May carry out more.
    On another job today. Well supply was reading 5.1
    After years of this the copper mains was so thin I could crush It with my hand

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I presume that you can/should get 7.0 ??
    How do you change it - is it addition of chemicals?
    Thanks

Xantia wrote: »
    I presume that you can/should get 7.0 ??
    How do you change it - is it addition of chemicals?
    Thanks

I'm not sure but I think 6.5 - 7.5 is ok.
    No idea how to change it

6.5 would be a little low. Getting towards a cheap Spanish wine!
    Neutralised with a pH Neutraliser. Cost circa €650 - €900 installed. Ongoing maintenance required.
    It's the other chemicals such as sulphur I would be concerned with on skin. Alright for leather skin likeliness but on children & people with sensitive skin, that's another storey.

This is why I said all along, rainwater harvesting is really only suitable for flushing toilets, washing cars, gardening, etc.
    Your normal allowance will cover normal living. It's the over usage that will affect your bill.

I wouldn't call it a rumor, it is the natural progression of things in this state.

Anybody who buys anything in this world to sell on to consumers is only out to make money. Especially those consumers caught by the short and curleys.
    We see numerous price rises of 12% and over when inflation is 1.9%
    Who with the money wouldn't buy when there guaranteed these T and C.

Article and picture in yesterdays Herald and Independent newspapers and on RTE Website of the 1st domestic water meters being installed in Maynooth.

Video of 1st meter being installed.........5 lads to stand around and look and 1 to actually do something.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0808/20418576-roll-out-of-water-meters-in-co-kildare/

I cant see them doing 27,000 of these each month.

Thats a big hole too.:pac:

And surprise surprisre...its the CER who will decide the water charges and increases in prices.

They never say no to Bord Gais when a gas price increase is sought.

Bord Gais looking for 7.22% price increase this October....and the CER will say yes and probably grant them an even higer increase too...8 or 9%.

And surprise surprisre...its the CER who will decide the water charges and increases in prices.

They never say no to Bord Gais when a gas price increase is sought.

Bord Gais looking for 7.22% price increase this October....and the CER will say yes and probably grant them an even higer increase too...8 or 9%.

Golf buddies I think

• Advertisement

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Golf buddies I think

Yeah...and then some,.maybe even more than that??...but I dont want to get in trouble for any talk like that...:pac::pac:

Advertisement