Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meter Charges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

shane0007 wrote: »
    Extremely acidic

Ah fcuk. That's gonna put me off making my own homemade rainwater storage system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

DGOBS wrote: »
    I was more wondering, if a person didn't pay the bill can they legally cut off water?

Was watching a miser on tv the other night, who only flushed once a week (if the toilet needed it or not!)

Remember the saying 'daylight robbery', was when the UK government introduced a 'window' on houses
    Irish government followed suit, and it quickly became known here as the 'typhoid tax' cos the Irish boarded up so many
    windows that people commonly contracted typhoid

Also, I believe if they upgrade to the point where the loss is 20% or so, it's uneconomical to stem the last 20%!

As the auld bag said in the house of lords about saving water, "If its yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down", can you imagine the state of her mansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I mentioned €7k to €10k based upon the photos of rainwater harvester system you posted.

A friend of mine manufactures them. Excavation costs, unit cost, electrics, external plumbing & internal plumbing costs.

I have also installed them in schools & the installation is not cheap. As I said not really suitable for domestic situations.

With regard to me knowing something other people don't, I posted earlier in this thread KK Co Co's published charges for Domestic for 2013. Even though Domestic charges do not exist as yet, they have published what they will be charging.
    A simple calculation based upon their standing charges & deemed usage charges in relation to what an average family would use, you could quite accurately estimate an over-usage within reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A friend of mine manufactures them.
    I have also installed them in schools & the installation is not cheap. .

Who?

Feel free to PM me,as I would be interested to speak with thjem.:)

I have visited several rainwater and precast companies in the last 2 months and had tours of the various facilities.

PM sent

• Advertisement

PM sent back.

Thanks Shane.

Myself and my missus are both think of long term and also the enviroment on this matter.

I mean who knows,we could all be paying lots and lots of money for mains water in the years to come,and we may have hoze pipe bans introduced aswell.

Its all a big unknown really.

Andrew will give you honest advice. I think you will find he will advise against it for a domestic situation even though he is selling them.

Andrew will give you honest advice. I think you will find he will advise against it for a domestic situation even though he is selling them.

Thanks.

The underground system would also kinda tie in with my missuses garden design and grand plan.

We still maintain full garden space,as the harvested rainwater is under our feet and hidden from view.

I,ll make contact wth Andrew in the next week or so,and have a chat/maybe even take a trip down to him,if thats possible??

Do they have a demo setup down there to see??

Thanks.:)

Not sure what he has on show but I am sure he can go through all the in's & out's over the phone first.
    Make sure it is what you really want as unless you are extremely high water users, I can't see the economic benefit, other than a bit of tree hugging & sticking 2 fingers up to our ginger leader.

• Advertisement

Not sure what he has on show but I am sure he can go through all the in's & out's over the phone first.
    Make sure it is what you really want as unless you are extremely high water users, I can't see the economic benefit, other than a bit of tree hugging & sticking 2 fingers up to our ginger leader.

You are too polite...:pac:

I cant say what I refer to him as.....it will only result in a ban for me...:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Very true. It's very hard to bring in a new tax but very easy to put it up once its in.

At the same time, I have a private well. I pay for UV filters, sediment filters, pump electricity, maintenance, salt for limescale filtration. I also pay for everybody's public supplied water through my taxes.
    Is this fair?
    Why am I paying twice for water & the person who pays for it through their taxes or not at all can wash cars, use water to their hearts content.
    About time, they bent over for big Phil also.
    To me it's about fairness & metering is fair.

It's a "fairer" way of doing it alright,
    But I am sure there are services out there that you use that others don't, and those people could easily be saying the same thing to themselves (why I am paying for his kids education etc etc) so going down that road in it's totality is not a good thing.

kippy wrote: »
    It's a "fairer" way of doing it alright,
    But I am sure there are services out there that you use that others don't, and those people could easily be saying the same thing to themselves (why I am paying for his kids education etc etc) so going down that road in it's totality is not a good thing.

Like what services do I use? I pay taxes which pay for everything. My children get educated but so has every person received education, even the person who has no children received it. And believe me, it ain't free!

Like what services do I use? I pay taxes which pay for everything. My children get educated but so has every person received education, even the person who has no children received it. And believe me, it ain't free!
    There are plenty services that you use or will use, that others don't and maybe never will and vice versa.
    These services are ultimately paid for by other peoples taxes (as well as your own)

I know the costs of education but the real costs are far higher.
    You don't think another person with no kids might think it a tad unfair that they are paying a portion of tax for fund a major part of your kids primary, secondary and third level education?

(It get's rather complex, I admit, but ultimately if you do down that road, thats where you're heading. Sorry, not intending to have a go at you personally)

TBH, it's a ridiculous argument.
    Fuel, water, electricity are commodities I can control, ecomomise or abuse. I can't do that with most other measures.

TBH, it's a ridiculous argument.
    Fuel, water, electricity are commodities I can control, ecomomise or abuse. I can't do that with most other measures.

It's not at all a ridiculous argument.
    Some people tend not to see the bigger picture.
    You think you are getting shafted by paying twice, that happens all the time but for different things in society.

Generally you can control the amount of kids you can have for instance..........so why should someone with no kids support yours?
    (Not a question to you directly, just pointing out the logical roadmap)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hes a plumber, as am I , trust me it would take more than low pressure to affect him in any significant way.
    So ye are both plumbers but I doubt ye know how much the water pressure will be reduced by and if it will causes problems. Even if you could work away with it how would he overcome the next hurdle with the water charge + interest being taken when his house is sold or transferred?

It's not at all a ridiculous argument.
    Some people tend not to see the bigger picture.
    You think you are getting shafted by paying twice, that happens all the time but for different things in society.

Generally you can control the amount of kids you can have for instance..........so why should someone with no kids support yours?
    (Not a question to you directly, just pointing out the logical roadmap)

Because was that person themselves not educated for "free"?
    A person with more children does pay more taxes in "indirect" taxes such as VAT, customs, duties, etc.
    As I said it is a ridiculous argument that is a waste of time & of little constructive worth.
    Next you will be saying that healthy people should pay less taxes than sick people.
    Your argument has nothing to do with the thread.

Because was that person themselves not educated for "free"?
    A person with more children does pay more taxes in "indirect" taxes such as VAT, customs, duties, etc.
    As I said it is a ridiculous argument that is a waste of time & of little constructive worth.
    Next you will be saying that healthy people should pay less taxes than sick people.
    Your argument has nothing to do with the thread.

You brought it up initially.
    Was just pointing out that if you think like that you have to be prepared to extrapolate that out to ALL services.

Thats the end of this thread for me.

You brought it up initially.
    Was just pointing out that if you think like that you have to be prepared to extrapolate that out to ALL services.

Thats the end of this thread for me.

If my kids are not educated then they will not become the tax payers of the future.

• Advertisement

If my kids are not educated then they will not become the tax payers of the future.

As I said, it's complex.
    (It's not just education, that was just the area I picked)
    (People die without water etc etc so why shouldn;t you, up till now, support others use of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

water is not a commodity or a luxury its a basic essential, the irish people need to rise up awaken and boycott this lark... the muppet puppets in the dail imposing this crap on behalf of their dictators "the state" basically have no say in what goes on here so its time to rise up...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

The 12am witching hour is kicking off again ! And no full moon.

Ahh Fck my cat's have also started.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    water is not a commodity or a luxury its a basic essential, the irish people need to rise up awaken and boycott this lark... the muppet puppets in the dail imposing this crap on behalf of their dictators "the state" basically have no say in what goes on here so its time to rise up...;)

You could say the same about fuel & electricity. Without fuel, we would not have food, transportation, heat, etc. to the levels we are accustomed to. Without electricity we could not run our heating systems, lights, etc.
    So are these not vital commodities as water is?
    If they are, then should be not paying for these also being that are so vital for our well being?
    If they were treated like water, would be turning off our heating in winter time or leaving it on 24/7 so it is nice a cosy for when we get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

You could say the same about fuel & electricity. Without fuel, we would not have food, transportation, heat, etc. to the levels we are accustomed to. Without electricity we could not run our heating systems, lights, etc.
    So are these not vital commodities as water is?
    If they are, then should be not paying for these also being that are so vital for our well being?
    If they were treated like water, would be turning off our heating in winter time or leaving it on 24/7 so it is nice a cosy for when we get home?

No without water you would rapidly die. You can survive without all the others but not with no water

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So ye are both plumbers but I doubt ye know how much the water pressure will be reduced by and if it will causes problems. Even if you could work away with it how would he overcome the next hurdle with the water charge + interest being taken when his house is sold or transferred?
    Hey I never said I was intent on not paying, I believe that we should wait and see what the allowances are , and what the costs are first. But the water could be turned down to a trickle and it wouldn't matter with the know how you could set up your system to run from it.

The abuse of fresh clean water by some in this country is sickening, for example I was working across from a house one day, the owner ran the hose out from the back garden to the front of the house to wash the car with it, he turned on the tap fully at 10am at 1pm the hose was still running fully and had not been turned off once. He started washing the car, must of went in watched some tv, ate some lunch, made phonecalls, not once turning off the tap !!
    There is plenty more like that and the only way to try and control them is by charging for it.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    No without water you would rapidly die. You can survive without all the others but not with no water

Without fuel, food cannot be delivered. Without fuel food cannot harvested to the amounts that are required to keep up with demands of today.
    Without fuel there would be no electricity.
    Without electricity no boiler would work so no heating in most houses.

I did say to the accustomed level we line in.
    I know we can grow our own food & harvest by hand.
    I can also walk to a well & drink from it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

paddy147 wrote: »
    PM sent back.

Thanks Shane.

Myself and my missus are both think of long term and also the enviroment on this matter.

I mean who knows,we could all be paying lots and lots of money for mains water in the years to come,and we may have hoze pipe bans introduced aswell.

Its all a big unknown really.
    How are you gonna deal with the acidic water when it comes to showering paddy?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    How are you gonna deal with the acidic water when it comes to showering paddy?

Every rainwater harvesting company I havre spoken to have told me that the various filtration processes and UV light process would make the water safe enough to use for a shower.

My face,hands and my hair just melted off my body a few minutes ago while I was walking around to the shops in the absolute pissing rain to get the newspaper and some milk.I got drenched to the bone.

Im using my tongue to type in the words here on my keyboard.:pac:

Heres what I look like now after getting drenched to the bone by the rainwater.....:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Every rainwater harvesting company I havre spoken to have told me that the various filtration processes and UV light process would make the water safe enough to use for a shower.

What filters do they built in that removes sulphuric acid that is in rain water?
    I wonder would they put that in writing & get approval from the EPA who have the responsibility of monitoring water supplies in this country.
    Is it not just your safety but the safety of every person that could potentially come in contact with water supplied by your property.
    If they can guarantee that you can "fail safe" supply water within the EU Water Regs, then well & good & I completely accept the viability of it. Then it's just down to the economics of installing it & maintaining it. Until then I am a sceptic.

Advertisement