Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meter Charges

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its official...(well out of Enda Kennys mouth anyway on the news this morning).

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/water-bill-defaulters-will-face-reduction-in-pressure-1.1457097

Any household who doesnt or who cant pay their water charges will have the pressure to their house greatly reduced as a form of punishment....(even though ..."you were not to blame for this")

So how would that work then?

Can they reduce the pressure to a specific house at the water stop cock outside the house??

This country is really becomming fcuked up.

Criminal bankers (allegedly) living the high life,yet the poor auld Joe Soap or Jane Soap will be fcuking well hammered in every which way that Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

They could put a restrictor in the at the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If thats all they do ill not be paying. Dopes.

The UK has had water charges for years & a lot more. The only difference is they get a service for their fees, here it is just another bend over & take it like a man tax.
    My brother, when fees were first introduced in the UK were £600. They are now £3,000 per annum. As I said very difficult to bring in a new tax but very easy to rise an existing one.
    Commercial tax on my vans was €287 per year. Then last year it went to €313 & now €333. They keep slipping it up with no announcements, so no kafuffle.
    This is only the start as they need to find €3billion each year until 2015 & beyond. If they can't take it from PS wages, they are not touching unemployment, it then has to come from the masses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

It's the law abiding tax payer ends up the worst with all these taxs.

Im strongly thinking about retiring on the dole. Do nixers in me spare time. put the mrs down as a deserted wife and claiming mortgage relief while living there. medical card ect.

But my morals wont allow it. so a water tax is just another name to get more money to fund others mistakes (bankers ect) and keep others in a life they came a custom (the ideal rich).

rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

But my morals wont allow it. so a water tax is just another name to get more money to fund others mistakes (bankers ect) and keep others in a life they came a custom (the ideal rich).

rant over.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

It's the law abiding tax payer ends up the worst with all these taxs.

Im strongly thinking about retiring on the dole. Do nixers in me spare time. put the mrs down as a deserted wife and claiming mortgage relief while living there. medical card ect.

rant over.

Got a taxi home one night, got simular rant fron him like above, almost home and he asks, well what do you do boyyyy ( Cork lingo) not Nigerian.

I told him I worked in the dole office, He nearly crashed and smelled his pants.

I know OFF THE TOPIC, but it funny!!:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Heard on the radio, they won't be cutting off your water for non payment of bill, just reducing pressure!>!
    (reducing valve at the meter?)

Break tank and pump anyone?

1st batch of "Irish Water" meters to be installed in Killdare from next week onwards.

They aim to install 27,000 meters every month and have 1 million installed by early 2016.

They will also supposedly create an extra 1600 jobs (most of them only for 3 years) and use cheap labour by using people who are unemployed and on the dole to do some work......(Irish water money saving excercize)

Thats a tall order to install 27,000 every month..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

paddy147 wrote: »
    1st batch of "Irish Water" meters to be installed in Killdare from next week onwards.

They aim to install 27,000 meters every month and have 1 million installed by early 2016.

They will also supposedly create an extra 1600 jobs (most of them only for 3 years) and use cheap labour by using people who are unemployed and on the dole to do some work......(Irish water money saving excercize)

Thats a tall order to install 27,000 every month..

Just saw that. So will these lucky few be charged from Jan 2015 while anyone without a meter will go without charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Just saw that. So will these lucky few be charged from Jan 2015 while anyone without a meter will go without charges.

No Chance
    Those who have not received a meter at that stage will be billed on their estimated usage.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0726/464799-water-meters/

How can they estimate something that's never been monitored before say it be more like a flat fee.

vickers209 wrote: »
    No Chance

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0726/464799-water-meters/

How can they estimate something that's never been monitored before say it be more like a flat fee.

Someone will pick a figure out of their ar5e and expect everyone to hand over the moolah...:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

Everyone will pay the allowable rate plus meter rental with no charges for over usage until they have a meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

corkgsxr wrote: »
    If thats all they do ill not be paying. Dopes.
    Best of luck with that. You better start building up your arm muscles as your washing machine and dish washer will go on the blink from low pressure, and you think you are the smart one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Best of luck with that. You better start building up your arm muscles as your washing machine and dish washer will go on the blink from low pressure, and you think you are the smart one.
    Hes a plumber, as am I , trust me it would take more than low pressure to affect him in any significant way.

It might be time for one of these bad boys for some people....

Domestic water charges are said/estimated to be around 300-350 for the 1st year...according some of todays newspapers.

The CER will control and increase the prices and also the nice extra rate increases that will follow soon after.....so that means we are all fcuked indeed.:rolleyes::(

It might be time for one of these bad boys for some people....

Domestic water charges are said/estimated to be around 300-350 for the 1st year...according some of todays newspapers.

The CER will control and increase the prices and also the nice extra rate increases that will follow soon after.....so that means we are all fcuked indeed.:rolleyes::(

You'd be a long time recouping your money after installing that & maintaining it. All for flushing toilets!
    Hmmm...

shane0007 wrote: »
    You'd be a long time recouping your money after installing that & maintaining it. All for flushing toilets!
    Hmmm...

Lets see how fast the CER ramp up the water charges and % increases...

.......Washing machine,dishwashing,showering,watering garden,washing car,fish tanks and water changes.

.......Washing machine,dishwashing,showering,watering garden,washing car,fish tanks and water changes.

You honestly wash yourself in water off your roof!
    Washing car ok.
    Gardening ok but I could use a cheaper water butt for that.
    Fish tanks, absolutely not as rain water has sulphuric acid so the pH will not be correct.
    Installation costs of what you have posted would be in the region of €7k to €10k. Maintenance on the rope filter alone will cost you €27 per month. UV light changed changed every year. pH neutraliser also required to neutralise acid rain. Plumbing alterations to house!

And after all that you will still receive the basic usage charge. You will only be saving what you use over & above this level of usage.

That set up would only be viable in commercial installations & schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Without doing the math on the systems costs etc.
    Offhand I would imagine best option would be to run toilets off a water butt if possible. Toilets are a big offender in water usage.

Also as Shane has pointed out water PH is an issue, I would wonder what the water PH is by the time the water enters the water butt, water PH can have funny effects on skin issues such as eczema and other skin conditions.

You would have a lot of people who would forget the maintenance of these systems and it could take an illness or similar for them to remember to check the filters and UV light etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Sam Kade wrote: »

Tank and booster pump. Job done

Without doing the math on the systems costs etc.
    Offhand I would imagine best option would be to run toilets off a water butt if possible. Toilets are a big offender in water usage.

Also as Shane has pointed out water PH is an issue, I would wonder what the water PH is by the time the water enters the water butt, water PH can have funny effects on skin issues such as eczema and other skin conditions.

You would have a lot of people who would forget the maintenance of these systems and it could take an illness or similar for them to remember to check the filters and UV light etc.

Clean out leaf trap every month-5 weeks---(2 minute job).
    Replace UV light every year..(.2 minute job).
    Change out the filers every 6 months....5 minute job.

Just like servicing a boiler each year...you dont forget to do it...at least I dont anyway.:)

It also helps when you are big into fishkeeping and have several tanks to look after and keep running......so I deffo wouldnt forget.

PH of my mains water is 8.3 at the moment..(it was ramped it up last year from a nicer 7)...so a softer PH of the rainwater would be benificial for my personal/household needs

shane0007 wrote: »
    You honestly wash yourself in water off your roof!
    Washing car ok.
    Gardening ok but I could use a cheaper water butt for that.
    Fish tanks, absolutely not as rain water has sulphuric acid so the pH will not be correct.
    Installation costs of what you have posted would be in the region of €7k to €10k. Maintenance on the rope filter alone will cost you €27 per month. UV light changed changed every year. pH neutraliser also required to neutralise acid rain. Plumbing alterations to house!

And after all that you will still receive the basic usage charge. You will only be saving what you use over & above this level of usage.

That set up would only be viable in commercial installations & schools.

No one knows the free water allowence or the water charges yet.so you cant really say whats what at the moment.

Unless you know something we all dont know here.???????

Oh and I never mentioned 7k-10k...dont know where you got that from.

We know 2 people who run their tanks off rainwater,and not a problem,,,nothing some filters and a UV light system doesnt solve.

Their Disscuss are all thriving in their tanks at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

I couldn't see any harm in showering in uv treated rainwater. It's perfectly soft water too so surely the shower units and other appliances would benefit?? Only a thought.
    What is the ph of rainwater usually?
    I might check mine tomorrow to see

Clean out leaf trap every month-5 weeks---(2 minute job).
    Replace UV light every year..(.2 minute job).
    Change out the filers every 6 months....5 minute job.

Just like servicing a boiler each year...you dont forget to do it...at least I dont anyway.:)

It also helps when you are big into fishkeeping and have several tanks to look after and keep running......so I deffo wouldnt forget.

PH of my mains water is 8.3 at the moment..(it was ramped it up last year from a nicer 7)...so a softer PH of the rainwater would be benificial for my personal/household needs

You are forgetting installation costs & maintenance costs!
    Extra over annual cost approx €100 but installation cost could be as high as €10,000. That would make it a 100 year break even outlay.
    UV light €40 - €80 per year
    Micron filters - €27 per month
    I also keep fish & I am sure they do not like sulphuric acid for their habitat.
    With regard to your higher pH benefitting, I think acidic rain over natural ground acidic sources is slightly different & safer.
    You also have a legal responsibility to maintain a minimum standard of potable water. Potable water is also not just drinking water!

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I couldn't see any harm in showering in uv treated rainwater. It's perfectly soft water too so surely the shower units and other appliances would benefit?? Only a thought.

Around 5.5 for rainwater in my location

It could vary from day to day depending on wind direction, industries within that zone. Easterly winds can originate in other countries so can be affected by many outside parameters that could vary from one test date to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Around 5.5 for rainwater

Mmmmm that's gonna burn!!

Around 5.5 for rainwater in my location

Extremely acidic

• Advertisement

Mmmmm that's gonna burn!!

Wwll 2 friends of ours do it with their large tanks (Discuss) and they aint had no problem in over a years now.

They are experienced fishkeepers too.

Advertisement