Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Canadian tourists shoot fantastic video of their Irish holiday

Options
  • 10-08-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭

(Not your typical After Hours thread)

Whipped from the Joe.ie website.
    A truly lovely video of our Island as seen through the eyes of two Canadian tourists as they traveled round over the course of a fortnight. If you have a spare 19 mins or so you should have a look.

http://vimeo.com/stephenparker/afortnightplushalf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Nice seeing lots of places I remembered from being very young

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Really nice. Thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Watch the full video, it's really lovely - and a timely reminder of how, despite our travails, we are lucky enough to live in a fair and beautiful corner of this earth.

Or in the immortal words of one Redditor:

"F*** it, I'm going to say it.
    "I love this stupid f***ing island."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You know for all the bitching and whinging Irish people do about our weather, our economy, our government etc. Sometimes you need someone not from here to remind you that we live on a fcuking beautiful little part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Well that's topped up the home sickness just nicely!

I wanna go home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Saw this a week or two ago, couldn't help but think our tourist board should be trying to buy the rights to this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

RachaelVO wrote: »

Aww that's shyte.
    I'm here sitting in our home house in the middle of County Galway, and after watching that video I somehow felt homesick...For Galway!:confused::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yes it is nice for a holiday but if they tried living here I'm sure they'd have plenty other less positive viewpoints on this country. Everybody thinksIreland is the best country in the world and that everybody loves Irish people; neither of this are true; Ireland right now is a corrupt cesspit with no opportunitys and it has the most miserable unbearable weather going.

People rejoicing as if it was the second coming last month because they got 2 weeks of nice warm weather, for most other countries this is normal as is the fact that your children will have a future in the country they were born in; Ireland has nothing to offer except corruption and rip-off prices. Those two Canadians were not doubt fleeced on everything and look at the absolute piece of junk manure car they were given by the rental firm a Nissan Micra and it probably cost them €2k minimum to rent that thing.

There is absolutely nothing positive I can say about the country with the exception of GAA which is the only thing enjoyable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Stinicker wrote: »

There is absolutely nothing positive I can say about the country with the exception of GAA which is the only thing enjoyable here.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thanks for sharing OP. We really do take this place for granted sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes it is nice for a holiday but if they tried living here I'm sure they'd have plenty other less positive viewpoints on this country. Everybody thinksIreland is the best country in the world and that everybody loves Irish people; neither of this are true; Ireland right now is a corrupt cesspit with no opportunitys and it has the most miserable unbearable weather going.

People rejoicing as if it was the second coming last month because they got 2 weeks of nice warm weather, for most other countries this is normal as is the fact that your children will have a future in the country they were born in; Ireland has nothing to offer except corruption and rip-off prices. Those two Canadians were not doubt fleeced on everything and look at the absolute piece of junk manure car they were given by the rental firm a Nissan Micra and it probably cost them €2k minimum to rent that thing.

Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed today!

I'd normally agree with everything you said (except the GAA bit!), but this doesn't seem the thread for it.

Some fantastic camera work and music on that video. As said above, the Irish Tourist Board should be trying to buy the rights

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't want to tip you over the edge Stinicker but did you see the Tyrone match last weekend :eek:

Seriously though, yeah we have our problems but that's not to say other countries don't have theirs either. I've lived in Belfast, New Zealand, and Australia and when you turn on the news it doesn't paint a pretty picture either.

We have some big problems but by far we're not the worst country in the world, or in the developed world either.

Uh-huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

RachaelVO wrote: »

Wasn't homesick 'till I watched this a few minutes ago. Me love Ireland long time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Weren't you the very one who was ranting on about Ireland being a "beacon of paradise" compared to many parts of the world only a few weeks ago?

Seems you just like to whinge when it suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

There is absolutely nothing positive I can say about the country

You don't know how good you have it Mr. Misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ah we're all guilty of being cynical here but give it a break. They had a lovely holiday, saw lots of the country in all weather (mostly decent fortunately!). I'm delighted they had a good time and the video shows the country in a favourable light.

Better than that stupid Gathering malarkey anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

You were saying this last night in another thread. As I said then stay away. We don't need or want your negativity here. Yes sure we are going through tough times at the minute but we will get through this and I believe our best days are ahead of us. Nothing positive to say about the country with the exception for GAA? Are you for real? What about the friendliness of the people, what about the sights that wonderful video showcased?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Great video, failte Ireland should buy the rights and put it on their website.

Some holiday, they managed to see more of Ireland in 2 weeks than I've seen in 28 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I'm just back from a holiday in Ireland, my first time back in nearly 6 years.

The hospitality and welcome from people nearly bought a tear to my eye on a few occasions.

The people, the food and the chilled vibe are second to none.

We were down in Kerry, what a cracking little corner of the world, the views and nature are breath taking.

I was a proud paddy leaving.

Take a bow Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Nice video, it just looks like we only have sheep and castles though!

And no mention of the Holy stone of Clonrichard!

For shame!

We in no way have "unbearable" weather, we have a mostly mild climate, yeah it rains a fair bit but so what, do we get hurricanes? crazy winter snow? (no a few inches of snow that one time a few years back doesnt count) no we don't. Dull and wet isnt unbearable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ireland is like a cunt brother.

You'll fight with it and despise it but you'll always love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Young Galaxy in now on my youtube list. Great video by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Great video. have to agree with some comments, this is a sucky country to live in sometimes. But as a holiday destination (if you have a bit of cash) it's lovely. They did a good job of showing it in the best light.

The foreigners i work with are always pointing out how pretty, and so fcuking green, everything is :)

Grayson wrote: »
    Great video. have to agree with some comments, this is a sucky country to live in sometimes. But as a holiday destination (if you have a bit of cash) it's lovely. They did a good job of showing it in the best light.

The foreigners i work with are always pointing out how pretty, and so fcuking green, everything is :)

you can say that about anywhere though, right now there's someone in New York thinking it's a dump, most people would give their arm to live there, or visit. Grass is always greener syndrome. Is Ireland perfect? far, faarrr from it, but that's more to do with the people who run it and it's occupants various foibles than the landscape or country itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

krudler wrote: »
    you can say that about anywhere though, right now there's someone in New York thinking it's a dump, most people would give their arm to live there, or visit. Grass is always greener syndrome. Is Ireland perfect? far, faarrr from it, but that's more to do with the people who run it and it's occupants various foibles than the landscape or country itself.

You never hear the end of the Spanish moaning about Spain. I'm sorry but people like this give me a pain in the hole and I avoid them at all costs. Who needs constant exaggerated moaning like that in your ear all the time? Not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I always really enjoy taking the time out to show my foreign mates around when they come over.

It usually lets me see the place from their perspective, which is sort of an escape from my usual way to float around and has me notice things that growing up here I casually overlooked day to day.

Even simple things, like paying more attention to the architecture of buildings in Dublin city centre can become fascinating if you're with someone on their first time here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Great, lovely video!

But that Bunratty looks like awful sh!te altogether

Advertisement