Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Canadian tourists shoot fantastic video of their Irish holiday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thanks for posting the vid thread starter :)

There are places in that video even I(and i guess some here) have not even visited yet :( Though they missed visiting the Aran Islands!!

They have inspired me to get out and make it a goal to see my own country :)

On that, its amazing how foreigners(well most I have met) have seen every nook and cranny of the country and yet some natives like myself has not. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

was back for 2 weeks in june, and it was fantastic....Ireland is not that expensive compared to canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,703 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

retalivity wrote: »
    was back for 2 weeks in june, and it was fantastic....Ireland is not that expensive compared to canada.

I completely agree with this, Tesco value and Penny's Finest all the way!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Panthro wrote: »
    I completely agree with this, Tesco value and Penny's Finest all the way!:pac:

Totally agree, I bought tonnes of stuff for my kids in Pennys and Dunnes, and then I brought back daft stuff like soup, butter (always, butter here is just lard), chocolate (cadburys), crisps, refreshers and a batch loaf.

Meat is better quality and cheaper in Ireland (horse meat n all :))

However off licence prices are a total rip off in Ireland, that was my ONLY gripe when I was home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Stinicker wrote: »
    Ireland right now is a corrupt cesspit with no opportunitys and it has the most miserable unbearable weather going.

Nonsense.
    I've travelled 30 countries on 5 continents and worked 5 jobs in Ireland.
    Your post is hyperbole with no concept of relativity.
    We don't have the economy we had 10 years ago or the weather of Spain (how you can bitch about the weather this year is beyond me), but I'm very thankful I was born here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

To the people who think Ireland is a rip off................Spend a bit more time on the continent,don't judge the price of stuff here coz you were on a holiday in the canaries or a stag in prague,every time we come back from hols in Ireland,the wife has 2 extra bags of stuff bought cheaply in Ireland.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    However off licence prices are a total rip off in Ireland, that was my ONLY gripe when I was home

As opposed to Canada? Over here its all govt run, and 6 cans of the cheapest crap you can find will still cost you at least a tenner (€7.50 +). I picked up 6 cans of grolsch last night as they were on offer, still costs me $12.50. Wine and spirits arent much better.
    Booze in pubs/restaurants when you factor in tips and tax is way worse than home as well.

Nonsense.
    Your post is hyperbole with no concept of relativity.

Don't drag me into this!

As opposed to Canada? Over here its all govt run, and 6 cans of the cheapest crap you can find will still cost you at least a tenner (€7.50 +). I picked up 6 cans of grolsch last night as they were on offer, still costs me $12.50. Wine and spirits arent much better.
    Booze in pubs/restaurants when you factor in tips and tax is way worse than home as well.

Grolsch isn't beer is fecking paint stripper (made here, most people slag it off).

Dunno know about canada, but I bought 20 bottles of bavaria in Tesco for 13 euro (on special usually 20euro). So for you that's likely to be a great deal, BUT here a crate of 24 is 8-9 euro. We drink a beer called holger, and it's a fiver for 24 bottles. Now granted you do have to pay deposit money (10c a bottle and 1.50 for the crate, but you get that back)

Sorry OP, we've derailed the thread slightly

Grolsch isn't beer is fecking paint stripper (made here, most people slag it off).

Dunno know about canada, but I bought 20 bottles of bavaria in Tesco for 13 euro (on special usually 20euro). So for you that's likely to be a great deal, BUT here a crate of 24 is 8-9 euro. We drink a beer called holger, and it's a fiver for 24 bottles. Now granted you do have to pay deposit money (10c a bottle and 1.50 for the crate, but you get that back)

Sorry OP, we've derailed the thread slightly

what part of canada are you in? definitely no 24 bottles for a fiver in ontario!
    24 bottles of canadian or labbatt blue here would be about $20 at least

what part of canada are you in? definitely no 24 bottles for a fiver in ontario!
    24 bottles of canadian or labbatt blue here would be about $20 at least

I'm not in canada chicks, I'm in the netherlands, that's why I don't know about beer prices in Canada :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

I'm not in canada chicks, I'm in the netherlands, that's why I don't know about beer prices in Canada :confused::confused::confused:

apologies...for some reason i thought you said you were in canada.

enough derailing....yeah, good video, etc.

apologies...for some reason i thought you said you were in canada.

enough derailing....yeah, good video, etc.

So 20 CAD is about 15euro, that's about in line with Irish prices, but what those canadian beers like?

And you're right great video... homesick as feck, so decided to drink some cheap beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Wonderful video. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Fratoue wrote: »
    Nice video but they probably spent about €8,000 in those two weeks in this robbing bastard of a country.

Car rentals, food, drink, rip off hotels, entrances to things (even charge to visit the Blarney Castle).

Vid makes Ireland look great but good look remortgaging the house for a trip like that as to do something similar in Germany even Italy be a lot less.

Ah that's not true, I was in Vienna reciently which is a great place to go if you want your breath taken away by the price of things, and they have a very mean mentality of aditional charging for every little thing, you go to any of the major tourist sites and there a massive charge to get in and then charges for every little exhibition in the place, pay into the armory, pay to see the costumes, aditional charge to view the royal jewls etc.

Ireland by contrast has a load of free tourist sites, you'd never get into the national gallery, national museum or anywhere else for free in Austria. And most of our tourist sites that do charge are very reasonably priced, it only costs 6 euro to go and see the Book of Kells for example, the Austrians would easily charge double that to get into the library and another fiver to see the book. I was irritated to see that the've started charging to go down to the clifs of Moher though, it used to be free if you rocked up on a bus.

As for food and drink, again it's as cheap and expensive as you care to make it, coffee in Vienna is a fiver a pop, and 12 euro if you fancy sitting sipping it in St. Marks square in Venice. You can eat perfectly reasonably if you stay away from tourist traps, and hotel prices are at an all time low at the moment, there's great deals to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I like how the video is mainly just the countryside and the attractions they went to and not the typical American/ Canadian running commentary of " this is us here in St. Pattys Cathedral etc etc".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

There is absolutely nothing positive I can say about the country with the exception of GAA which is the only thing enjoyable here.

and i'm sure joe brolly could argue that it is also being corrupted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I lurve yer mans goofy grin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fratoue wrote: »
    Nice video but they probably spent about €8,000 in those two weeks in this robbing bastard of a country.

Car rentals, food, drink, rip off hotels, entrances to things (even charge to visit the Blarney Castle).

Vid makes Ireland look great but good look remortgaging the house for a trip like that as to do something similar in Germany even Italy be a lot less.
    What a load of nonsense, Ireland is actually quite a cheap country to visit.

If I was in front if a PC I could draw up the comparasions but you would ignore them as your obviously have a chip on your shoulder and are a bigot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

aoraki wrote: »
    Those countries don't have the GAA (opium for tribal mucksavage gob****es), the Catholic Church (as the dominant religious organisation) or Fianna Fail (opium for tribal mucksavage gob****es), so on those counts they are already waaaay ahead of the game...
    aoraki wrote: »
    I guess the truth hurts, eh? :P

I will freely admit that hurling is a great sport - fast, skillful and exciting. Gaelic football on the other hand is a makey-up monstrosity of a game.

The tirades against the GAA in general probably stem from the frankly ridiculous attitudes and carry on from some ardent GAA supporters, of which there are quite a lot of in this country.

The crowds that will enter Croke Park tomorrow and in the next few weeks, would suggest that you are spectacularly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clive Bixby

Yes it is nice for a holiday but if they tried living here I'm sure they'd have plenty other less positive viewpoints on this country.......................................................................................There is absolutely nothing positive I can say about the country with the exception of GAA which is the only thing enjoyable here.

If Ireland is such a 'cesspit' of a country, with nothing positive about it, then why would you want your Thai girlfriend to come here? Surely she would be better off staying in Thailand, rather than subjecting herself to even a holiday over here in this third world hell hole!

Anyone here ever do this? I have met a really nice Thai girl and am currently over here visiting in Thailand but I wonder what is the exact situation on getting a visa for her to come visit on a 90 days trip? I know it sounds cliched and mail order bride stuff but it is really different as I am in my 20's and not some old geezer trying to get a leg over, and believe me there are loads of these suckers out here too!

I am willing to sponsor her visa and post a financial bond like the Australian system I just don't know enough about entering Ireland legally and I want to do everything legit and proper as if all goes well she could very well be the one for me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Oot and aboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I lurve yer mans goofy grin.

They seem like a lovely couple.

I actually tried to watch it again this morning but got too sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Watched the whole 18:59 seconds of it, we do take a lot of things for granted, this video brought tears to my eyes.
    Absolutely amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Great video, but no killarney or west cork:eek: shur they missed out on the most beautiful part of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nice video but you could equally make one showing the downside of the tourism 'product' as the Failte Ireland executives refer to it. As for the comment somebody made about how it's all very well for private individuals to make a long video about the beauty of Ireland but Failte Ireland have to get the message across in short ads. :rolleyes: Failte Ireland/Tourism Ireland etc. are free to flood the internet with high quality videos if they so wished but they can't be arsed. Here's one for the Isle of Man produced by their government - can somebody put up a Failte Ireland one? The difference is that the IoM have proportionally more quality visitor attractions packed into their 221 square miles than Ireland can dream of and, yes, they have great scenery and pubs too! A distinct lack of scobies is another attraction. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Watch out for those sheep ha. What a brilliant Sat Nav. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yes it is nice for a holiday but if they tried living here I'm sure they'd have plenty other less positive viewpoints on this country. Everybody thinksIreland is the best country in the world and that everybody loves Irish people; neither of this are true; Ireland right now is a corrupt cesspit with no opportunitys and it has the most miserable unbearable weather going.

People rejoicing as if it was the second coming last month because they got 2 weeks of nice warm weather, for most other countries this is normal as is the fact that your children will have a future in the country they were born in; Ireland has nothing to offer except corruption and rip-off prices. Those two Canadians were not doubt fleeced on everything and look at the absolute piece of junk manure car they were given by the rental firm a Nissan Micra and it probably cost them €2k minimum to rent that thing.

There is absolutely nothing positive I can say about the country with the exception of GAA which is the only thing enjoyable here.

Feel free to leave then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

What a beautiful Island we live on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Video made me slightly homesick :o

Damn, cannot wait to move back to Ireland permanently!
    We don't realise what a great country is it sometimes.

Advertisement