Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai operating 'gotcha' speed traps.

Options
  • 07-08-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭

I was leaving Dublin airport today driving on the link road from the roundabout on the old N1 towards the roundabout on the M1. I noticed the Gardaí had set up a speed check near the latter roundabout. I am not sure what speed I was driving at but it was not very fast. I don't know if I will get a ticket for this but if I do, there should be dozens of others because everyone seemed to be driving at the same speed as me, i.e. a safe speed.
    I mentioned this incident to a friend and he told me that there is a speed trap there every other day. If this is true, then I would consider this to be a very cynical exercise on the part of the Gardaí. They are supposed to concentrate their resources on known black spots. I don't think this road would be an accident black spot.
    Have the Gardaí gone back to 'shooting fish in a barrel' again? It is difficult to have respect for them when they operate a 'gotcha' policy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I was leaving Dublin airport today driving on the link road from the roundabout on the old N1 towards the roundabout on the M1. I noticed the Gardaí had set up a speed check near the latter roundabout. I am not sure what speed I was driving at but it was not very fast. I don't know if I will get a ticket for this but if I do, there should be dozens of others because everyone seemed to be driving at the same speed as me, i.e. a safe speed.
    I mentioned this incident to a friend and he told me that there is a speed trap there every other day. If this is true, then I would consider this to be a very cynical exercise on the part of the Gardaí. They are supposed to concentrate their resources on known black spots. I don't think this road would be an accident black spot.
    Have the Gardaí gone back to 'shooting fish in a barrel' again? It is difficult to have respect for them when they operate a 'gotcha' policy.

Yeah I know exactly what your on about, they operate on both sides of the road there, just where there is a sudden speed limit change.

Money making racket, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

what was the limit there? well they have the limit for some reason, so that's probably the more safe speed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I actually seen them there today OP would have been shortly before lunch time?

I happen to be working this week in and around the Airport/Docks area (I do week about north and south) but this week alone:

Yesterday, I was stopped on the Long mile road by revenue and gards. Green diesel check, and then some lady checking who I worked for, had I a PPS number, where I lived and where I payed tax. (social welfare fraud I think)

Then abot an hour later in the Fonthill area, stopped and checked for tax/DOE and insurance by more Gards.

Passed that speed trap today at the airport, headed towards port tunnel.

Stopped in the docks by another tax/insurance checkpoint.

A few weeks back I was on my way to Athy to a customers premises lateish (9.30pm) and there was a feckin mobile speed camera/van catching lads coming into the town from the Kilcullen direction :mad:

I have a northern license, so thankfully cant get points put on it, but I believe thats about to change.

I reckon the TROIKA have demanded our lads get on the roads as revenue raisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

There was a mobile speed camera in Moyasta County Clare, last Sunday (the Bank Holiday) around 4 o' clock. The speed limit goes from 100 to 50 on a straight stretch of road. It's not built up, all I could see was one pub and the old fashioned train. It's not safe to go from 100 to 50 in such a short space.

Money making racket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I don't know if I will get a ticket for this but if I do, there should be dozens of others because everyone seemed to be driving at the same speed as me, i.e. a safe speed.

Can you elaborate a bit on your logic there? Was your speed over the limit, and how do you know it was a "safe speed"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I am not sure what speed I was driving at
    Not cool 007, not cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Actually the gardai have no such orders to concentrate on blackspots which is why you will see them doing speed traps in places similar to this. For instance alot of the N11 is 60k speed limit but the natural driving speed along it is 80k so they grab people there. They're only orders is for numbers they care naught for safety

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Can you elaborate a bit on your logic there? Was your speed over the limit, and how do you know it was a "safe speed"?
    It's pretty difficult to do an unsafe speed at that junction in traffic. Bar being around pedestrians unsafe would mean the car is at it's limits and can no longer do what you ask it to do. That's not going to happen until you're closer to or well past 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I find it worrying that the OP freely admits that they weren't aware of what speed they were driving at. Surely, while in charge of a vehicle you should be aware of how fast it's going. This is why Garda checkpoints are vital, if people aren't able to keep an eye on his fast they are driving in what can be a deadly piece of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I pass that spot everyday. I come from coachmans direction and go around the corner at the limit until I see no gaurds there. Your friend is right they are always there and its a pure fish in a barrel job.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Actually the gardai have no such orders to concentrate on blackspots which is why you will see them doing speed traps in places similar to this.
    They also can't really set up at blackspots on small country roads, there isn't the room for them without going onto private property.

In fairness, some of the speed limits don't seem to make sense. I live in rural Ireland on a national primary route. It's 100 kms an hour speed limit on the road. There are 12 houses about a km, where we live.

Pulling out of our driveway is so difficult. Somedays you take your life in your own hands. The speed limit should at least be 80 kms imho. We have two mirrors, but they don't help all that much because of the speed of the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I drive at a speed that is safe given the road type and driving conditions. I don't keep looking at the speedo all the time because that would be unsafe. You can't look at the road and something else at the same time. Anyone who drives and cannot judge what is a safe speed should not be driving at all. Since you brought up the question of logic I would question the logic of many of the speed limits that I come across on the roads. I live in the country on a road which is effectively a single-track lane, yet the speed limit is 80k. It links on to a fine stretch of wide, straight newly upgraded road and the speed limit stays the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wait until they use the existing M50 cameras as average speed cameras

Or hook up the toll cameras to motortax.ie / insurance

SamHall wrote: »
    I reckon the TROIKA have demanded our lads get on the roads as revenue raisers.

Will they get a clap on the back from the Troika for raising €25,680 on National Slow Down Day this year?*

At that rate "our lads" will have the national debt paid off in 20,483 years. Way to go guys!

*Assuming that a speeding fine is €80. And stays at that level for 20,483 years, now that I think of it...

*Assuming that a speeding fine is €80.

Yes a speeding fine is 80 euro

Lux23 wrote: »
    I find it worrying that the OP freely admits that they weren't aware of what speed they were driving at. Surely, while in charge of a vehicle you should be aware of how fast it's going. This is why Garda checkpoints are vital, if people aren't able to keep an eye on his fast they are driving in what can be a deadly piece of equipment.
    I challenge the notion that when driving you always know exactly what your speed is. You can drive perfectly safely without constantly looking at your speedo. In fact anyone who is constantly looking at their speedo is a danger on the road. It means they are not watching the road.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's pretty difficult to do an unsafe speed at that junction in traffic. Bar being around pedestrians unsafe would mean the car is at it's limits and can no longer do what you ask it to do. That's not going to happen until you're closer to or well past 100kph.

So it's uniformly "safe" up to 100 km/h and then it's suddenly not safe?

I challenge the notion that when driving you always know exactly what your speed is. You can drive perfectly safely without constantly looking at your speedo. In fact anyone who is constantly looking at their speedo is a danger on the road. It means they are not watching the road.

I second this, but as a woman driver what's this speedo thing, you are talking about?:D

Anyone who drives and cannot judge what is a safe speed should not be driving at all.

So you don't know what speed you were driving at, but you do know that the unknown speed was safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Aineoil wrote: »
    I second this, but as a woman driver what's this speedo thing, you are talking about?:D

May I take your license away from you now :P

So it's uniformly "safe" up to 100 km/h and then it's suddenly not safe?
    No, I don't know how you could jump to that conclusion.

Sorry, I was referring to the speedometer, not the little sexy swimming togs that we men sometimes wear, (though not usually in the car). Regrets for the confusion.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In fairness, some of the speed limits don't seem to make sense. I live in rural Ireland on a national primary route. It's 100 kms an hour speed limit on the road. There are 12 houses about a km, where we live.

Pulling out of our driveway is so difficult. Somedays you take your life in your own hands. The speed limit should at least be 80 kms imho. We have two mirrors, but they don't help all that much because of the speed of the traffic.

Or... maybe building/buying/renting a house right next to/on a national primary route wasn't such a great idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I thought I was in the motors forum, 'til I read this :D

No, I don't know how you could jump to that conclusion.

What does the bit in red imply then?

Nemeses wrote: »
    May I take your license away from you now :P

Haha... you may indeed take away my license (I hate driving)......from now on you can be my dedicated driver.

But can you face a challenge?

General driving chat when I am not driving goes like this (to poor husband).....

Slow down
    You're going to fast
    Do you not see that fella walking on the road a mile in front of you
    For f**ks sake, did you not see that car from the side road
    Why did you swerve like that?
    Why are you speeding up?
    Why are you slowing down?
    Don't even think of overtaking here.
    Omg, there's a bus/lorry/big van coming towards us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The guards are there to enforce the law...The speed limit is the law, going over it is against the law, so they are doing their job's...now I do agree that the speed limits are too low in places, but that's to combat the army of terrible drivers we have on the roads, from my experience on the road, at least 25% of people who drive should never be let near a road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Haha... you may indeed take away my license (I hate driving)......from now on you can be my dedicated driver.

But can you face a challenge?

General driving chat when I am not driving goes like this (to poor husband).....

Slow down
    You're going to fast
    Do you not see that fella walking on the road a mile in front of you
    For f**ks sake, did you not see that car from the side road
    Why did you swerve like that?
    Why are you speeding up?
    Why are you slowing down?
    Don't even think of overtaking here.
    Omg, there's a bus/lorry/big van coming towards us.

Ok Hyacinth..... You also forgot Mind the cows dear...

Only if you accept my terms of shoving a sock in your mouth during my erm, Driving experience :D

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Or... maybe building/buying/renting a house right next to/on a national primary route wasn't such a great idea?

We bought a house on a national primary route, but that was many moons ago (well before the Celtic Tiger), when the road was fairly quiet.

Advertisement