Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Expunge

So, here's what Hugo wrote when he was Hugo Brady Browne on this thread in the past:
    "Further sustenance for this view is clear to anyone who has spent time in any institutional setting where radio choices have to be made on a common denominator basis. In nursing homes, hospital wards, care institutions, psychiatric institutes, places of detention and so forth on any morning of the week, people will be found enjoying Marty in the Morning, when no other programme would command their acquiescence as a group."

Hugo Brady Brown
    And here is what Hugo wrote in the last couple of days as housewife, Yvonne23R....
    "And I believe the show is put on in a lot of hospitals, jails, psychiatric hospitals, bed and breakfasts, guesthouses, doctor's surgeries, cafes, hotel dining rooms and places like that so that everyone can have soothing music and chat to listen to and that everyone can enjoy. This is not picked up properly in the listening figures I think."

This morning's 'Tinahely Show' Hugo letter, followed by Burl Ives 'The Ugly Bug Ball' was some pile of unfunny crap. Do you actually dictate what piece of music will be played after your ****ty missive, Hugo/Yvonne? Is the Lyric production team that lazy/dispirited?

Maybe you could give one of the other inmates of the hospital, jail, psychiatric institution, B & B etc where you currently write and post from a go at it next time, eh?
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Brandenberg Concertos - the anti-Martydom choice of music. Some of us do like to listen to Classical music around breakfast time. But then it is better music for concentration and complex work than listening to the wibbling of Marty and his choice of elevator music punctuated by finger drumming and humming from Marty/Hugo/etc himself. Even when I listen to his show I have the terrible feeling that my IQ is being erroded from doing so. A few hours of it and I may end up watching Winning Streak or Eastenders/Coronation Street/Fair City. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Expunge wrote: »
    So, here's what Hugo wrote when he was Hugo Brady Browne on this thread in the past:

And here is what Hugo wrote in the last couple of days as housewife, Yvonne23R....
    "And I believe the show is put on in a lot of hospitals, jails, psychiatric hospitals, bed and breakfasts, guesthouses, doctor's surgeries, cafes, hotel dining rooms and places like that so that everyone can have soothing music and chat to listen to and that everyone can enjoy. This is not picked up properly in the listening figures I think."

This morning's 'Tinahely Show' Hugo letter, followed by Burl Ives 'The Ugly Bug Ball' was some pile of unfunny crap. Do you actually dictate what piece of music will be played after your ****ty missive, Hugo/Yvonne? Is the Lyric production team that lazy/dispirited?

Maybe you could give one of the other inmates of the hospital, jail, psychiatric institution, B & B etc where you currently write and post from a go at it next time, eh?

I was out driving and listening and can only get back to you now. I thought Hugo Time today was well up to the usual standard myself. Marty compared it to Garrison Keelor which was nice. It reminds me of The Brother with Eamon Morrisey myself or Harbour Hotel when it was good. The idea of Rebecca and Mart going on the road together was very good too. It's a great team in there in Radio Centre. Mart is talking about doing a show from the street soon with Rebecca which should be very nice I think. And that information about where the Marty Whelan show is listened to is in the papers including the Daily Mail and the Independent where they sometimes have very interesting articles about Mart and his listeners. You should look it up! Tens of thousands of listeners can't be wrong - that's what I always say! :) And there were many complements to the show after about playing Burl Ives and some of them were aired. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Expunge wrote: »

Well spotted Expunge.

Had the misfortune to get most of what was at times a non-stop homage to music from the movies this morning, capped by a woeful rendition of "La Vie en Rose" by, would you believe, Jack Nicholson :eek:.

However, for once it was almost worthwhile listening to the godawful Hugo essay as it revealed a few more of Y23R's patterns...."snobs" getting a mention or two, might I be so shallow as to assume "Europa" the heifer as another :pac:, and the giveaway, as mentioned above by Expunge......the segue of some insect related drivel in the Hugo/Yvonne "letter" with the playing of 'The Ugly Bug Ball' by our Classical gasbag DJ.

Admit it Hugo/Yvonne, and whoever else is in there....we're on to you :rolleyes:

jmcc wrote: »
    The Brandenberg Concertos - the anti-Martydom choice of music. Some of us do like to listen to Classical music around breakfast time. But then it is better music for concentration and complex work than listening to the wibbling of Marty and his choice of elevator music punctuated by finger drumming and humming from Marty/Hugo/etc himself. Even when I listen to his show I have the terrible feeling that my IQ is being erroded from doing so. A few hours of it and I may end up watching Winning Streak or Eastenders/Coronation Street/Fair City. :)

Regards...jmcc

Do you not worry that people will think you are a snob if you want to listen to that all the time? I think that Mart is one of the smartest people on radio and television the way he can turn any fluff into something good. And he cannot help it if he lets us know that he likes music by joining in. That is better than sitting there saying nothing!

Plus the banter between him and Rebecca is as good as Morecambe and Wise. Just what the doctor ordered! Goodness gracious me - is that the time? :D

I think if I had an IQ like Marty Whelan I would be well happy. He's on Winning Streak in the winter because of his brains in fact.

• Advertisement

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    . Just what the doctor ordered! Goodness gracious me -.

Been a while since that classy piece :rolleyes: got an airing.

Are you playing it tomorrow by any chance Hugo/Yvonne/Mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The only thing this thread has achieved is to expose Hugo as a bit of a head case! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's really time to stop feeding the troll.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Did anyone catch the charming anecdote this morning about how marty was abused by a security guard (in french no less!) for taking flash photography of the Mona Lisa when there is a clear sign saying 'no photography'.

What a muppet. Embarressed to be from the same country as him.

Do you not worry that people will think you are a snob if you want to listen to that all the time?
    I listen to music that I like because I like it and not because of what other people think.
    I think that Mart is one of the smartest people on radio and television the way he can turn any fluff into something good.
    Now there's a double entendre that should not be pursued. :)
    And he cannot help it if he lets us know that he likes music by joining in. That is better than sitting there saying nothing!
    He's as unwelcome as a mobile phone ringing during a perfomance of John Cage's 4'33". He is there to play the tracks. He is not the musician or the singer.
    Plus the banter between him and Rebecca is as good as Morecambe and Wise.
    No. Morcambe and Wise were professionals and had excellent comic timing and millions of fans. The banter between Rebecca and Marty is reminiscent of nervous chatup lines at a school disco. What's next - Marty's dad-dancing?
    I think if I had an IQ like Marty Whelan I would be well happy.
    Wouldn't that be a downgrade for your good self? :)
    He's on Winning Streak in the winter because of his brains in fact.
    Whereas others are there because of the random selection process of a scratching a card? Makes you wonder who really won. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Obviously I mean Mart is on with Streakers as the compere because he's got a safe pair of hands and he's able to tot up cash sums not like any dumb blond with fixed smiles and teeth. Not that he's got on by being a scratch winner.

Obviously I mean Mart is on with Streakers as the compere because he's got a safe pair of hands and he's able to tot up cash sums not like any dumb blond with fixed smiles and teeth. Not that he's got on by being a scratch winner.
    So has Marty mentioned anything about a transfer to RTE1 or 2FM yet? There is going to be a bit of a shakeup because of Pat Kenny and no doubt Marty would love to get back to an audience that appreciates his talents.

Regards...jmcc

europa11 wrote: »
    Well spotted Expunge.

Had the misfortune to get most of what was at times a non-stop homage to music from the movies this morning, capped by a woeful rendition of "La Vie en Rose" by, would you believe, Jack Nicholson :eek:.
    But no William Shatner? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Expunge

The only thing this thread has achieved is to expose Hugo as a bit of a head case! :)

Alas, it's a bit more serious than that.
    Here is a contributor to an RTE programme, probably in reciept of Licence Fee money to write that crap coming on here trolling to his heart's content and goading those who are deeply concerned at the direction Lyric has taken and is distastrous JNLR listenership results in recent times.
    Actually our favourite burl is Burl Ives singing "The Ugly Bug Ball."

Now it appears this same individual has influence in the music policy of one of the programmes! On a publicly funded national network!

This is far from funny.

But no William Shatner? :)

Regards...jmcc

Perhaps our very own 'Hugo' can write into the show to tell Mart about how excited he/she/their cat was to see a re-run of the original Star Trek series on TV recently and Mister Him-to-be will oblige with a suitable piece of music....but not as we know it!.....from Captain Kirk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

pwurple wrote: »
    Did anyone catch the charming anecdote this morning about how marty was abused by a security guard (in french no less!) for taking flash photography of the Mona Lisa when there is a clear sign saying 'no photography'.

What a muppet. Embarressed to be from the same country as him.

You don't like photography?

Have you not heard that the Marty Whelan show has the highest ratings from the listeners and is up by I think it was 10 percent. And the bank is backing it too for the AA Roadshow part. And lots of the listeners take the trouble to text in to say how much they missed Mart last week?

I think ye need to be worrying about the unpopular programmes and not the only one that normal people love.

Have you not heard that the Marty Whelan show has the highest ratings from the listeners
    Those suffering and incarcerated listeners?
    and is up by I think it was 10 percent.
    Two thousand or so in a year? Perhaps there is a correlation between the numbers on hospital trolleys and the increase in listeners.
    And the bank is backing it too for the AA Roadshow part.
    A bank is advertising on the AA Roadshow segment - not the Marty Massacres Classical show. That's because people listen to the AA segments because they are important.
    And lots of the listeners take the trouble to text in to say how much they missed Mart last week?
    How many? 1? 2? 10? Marty/Hugo/the Cat?
    I think ye need to be worrying about the unpopular programmes and not the only one that normal people love.
    You "normal" people have 2FM and RTE1. Please leave LyricFM alone.

Regards...jmcc

limnam wrote: »
    You don't like photography?
    And, as well Mart didn't mention flash! I think it's a sign that Mart is as cultured as anyone because he goes to art galleries. Today too he had a bit for us about a doctor who broke a finger on a statue in Italy. I still can't work out when Mart is heading over to Italy.
    We're all part of Marty's Army.
    We're all off to Italy!

Hugo/Y23R

Can you "ask Mart" to play "Goodness Gracious Me" (it's on your loop) and William Shatner's "Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds" tomorrow anytime after 8:20a.m.

I'll be out.

• Advertisement

You have confused me with someone else. And nobody controls what Marty plays. It's whatever comes up from Marty Recommends or from who died today or what the listener wants. If you asked him nicely I'm sure Mart would oblige if it was suitable for the program. I thought William Shatner was an actor not a zinger but I suppose the old trained actors learned singing too. He's surprisingly elderly now and not the spring chicken he was when he created Captain Kirk.

You have confused me with someone else. And nobody controls what Marty plays. It's whatever comes up from Marty Recommends or from who died today or what the listener wants. If you asked him nicely I'm sure Mart would oblige if it was suitable for the program. I thought William Shatner was an actor not a zinger but I suppose the old trained actors learned singing too. He's surprisingly elderly now and not the spring chicken he was when he created Captain Kirk.
    So you are actually a lot younger than you claim to be? :) Who could forget Shatner's 'Transformed Man' album.

Regards...jmcc

So you are actually a lot younger than you claim to be? :) Who could forget Shatner's 'Transformed Man' album.

Regards...jmcc

I don't claim to be any age. That's a lady's business! :p And no - I hadn't heard of a record by William Shatner but I suppose he could turn his hand to anything if he put his mind to it. Is it an oldie and a goodie? What did he cover?

I don't claim to be any age. That's a lady's business! :p And no - I hadn't heard of a record by William Shatner but I suppose he could turn his hand to anything if he put his mind to it.
    Well anyone who seems to know of Morcambe and Wise, Peter Sellers and a lot of 1960s/70s music would. Unless, perhaps, you have a limited experience of music and are relying upon Marty. But even Marty might know this one.
    Is it an oldie and a goodie? What did he cover?
    The galaxy. :)

Regards...jmcc

Well anyone who seems to know of Morcambe and Wise, Peter Sellers and a lot of 1960s/70s music would. Unless, perhaps, you have a limited experience of music and are relying upon Marty. But even Marty might know this one.

The galaxy. :)

Regards...jmcc

I don't claim to know a lot about music but I know what I like. And it seems millions of other people like the same as me. Mart had Gilbert O'Sullivan on this morning and it caused cheering in our home and Mart was reading out cards and texts goodo from the listener about it after. I don't think William Shatner is for me though because I think it could be a bit Andy Williamsy for me and I don't care for him so much although Marty says he was possibly the third or fourth best of his class in his time.

And it seems millions of other people like the same as me.
    But they don't listen to LyricFM, do they? :)
    Mart had Gilbert O'Sullivan on this morning and it caused cheering in our home
    Well he was big in the 1970s.
    and Mart was reading out cards and texts goodo from the listener about it after.
    But how did the cards arrive? They would have had to have been sent yesterday to have arrived in today's post. Were the texts really sent?
    I don't think William Shatner is for me though because I think it could be a bit Andy Williamsy for me and I don't care for him so much although Marty says he was possibly the third or fourth best of his class in his time.
    And Marty was probably plonked in front of the TV watching the Andy Williams Show hoping that he would grow up just like that. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

williams_zpsfc8b66fd.jpg

Y23R a troll ????

Of course. How could I have been so blind ?
    But of course ! Nobody could really be happy with the destruction of a good radio station. What better than to pretend to enjoy its most dreadful presenter and the bottom of the barrel schlock that he passes of as music.

Apply liberally :
    Troll_spray_zpsbdea2372.jpg

Has the team for Verona and Venice been announced by Marty yet because I haven't heard? Is Neven going to be on it because he would be good at getting Mart into good restaurants in Italy for interviews with other star chefs? And when exactly is the Italian trip starting because Marty said this morning that his wife is packing his bags today but then at the end he didn't say he wouldn't be with us tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

1_zpsbef95815.jpg

• Advertisement

Almaviva wrote: »
    1_zpsbef95815.jpg
    I think you are going to need a bigger spray can. :)

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement