Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methods of Execution.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yup so instead we just keep our murderers in a nice cosy cell and spend thousands a year feeding them and looking after them and sure maybe let them out on good behaviour.

Put a blindfold on and get on the knees and face the wall. Bullet to the head. Same way the Chinese do it. End of story

Doesn't seem to be curbing crime in china all the same,unless you're talking about revenge which is quite another topic..

China faces a new threat of widespread crime and violence this year after a sharp jump in the number of violent crimes in 2009, an annual legal research report by the country's top think-tank warned Thursday.
    Last year saw a "drastic increase" in violent crimes, crimes against property, crimes disrupting the market economic order, and crimes disrupting social stability, according to the report on China's Rule of Law released by the Social Sciences Academic Press Thursday. http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=chinease%20crime%20is%20it%20rising&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&ved=0CGEQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asiaone.com%2FNews%2FLatest%252BNews%2FAsia%2FStory%2FA1Story20100226-201021.html&ei=Hx_-Ua77DK2R7AaitICgCw&usg=AFQjCNH-FENal7aKozIWTIgycwq_CpPP-w&bvm=bv.50165853,d.ZGU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

The Vikings used to cut open your stomach, pull out your intestines and tie you to a tree with them.
    Phoenix Park would be a great place to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Yeah they didn't mess around, another of their favourites was the Blood Eagle

Ha ! A mere fleshwound.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Yup so instead we just keep our murderers in a nice cosy cell and spend thousands a year feeding them and looking after them and sure maybe let them out on good behaviour.

Put a blindfold on and get on the knees and face the wall. Bullet to the head. Same way the Chinese do it. End of story

in theory that sounds good, but it actually costs more to execute a death row prisoner in the us than to jail them for life, when you take into account legal appeals and due process..or maybe you would prefer the chinese justice system..?

If you really wanted to punish a convicted murderer or rapist, give them a life sentence in solitary confinement-after a few years, they would probably want to top themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Being buried up to your neck in dirt and stoned is still used in some African countries. They usually occur in football stadiums and are open to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Use them as medical guinea pigs, let them give something back to the world. Give them cancer and have the finest experts and care try to cure them and try new drugs and treatments out.

See http://www.fnsa.org/v1n1/dieter1.html for further info on the financial cost of the death penalty as implemented in the us..

daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

daithi1970 wrote: »
    in theory that sounds good, but it actually costs more to execute a death row prisoner in the us than to jail them for life, when you take into account legal appeals and due process..or maybe you would prefer the chinese justice system..?

That's in the u.s
    I think the Chinese have the way to do it.
    I've seen the gruesome videos that show executions from all over the world.
    Most are beheadings. They aren't exactly spot on either.
    Seen one fella being executed and the fella with the sword missed the neck and hit the skull and the fella was still alive screaming and kicking with a chunk of his skull hanging off. Wasn't pretty and despite their crime they committed or whatever they done felt bit sick and sorry for the bloke because he wasn't executed correct.
    I'd rather a bullet in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

prisoners get to stay imo a 3 star hotels, a bit like Travelodge,

a warm bed, free TV, 3 meal a day with a roof over their head... you know things that law abiding citizen have to pay for..

personally i think they should televise executions in the the us.. it might change people's minds on the the morality or lack thereof of capital punishment
    The executioner's song by Norman Mailer is a good book on the subject.

daithi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

mickpat wrote: »
    When filling out the death certs for executed prisoners in America, the reason for death is filled in as homicide. Says it all really.

Homicide means the killing of one person by another or others. You are probably taking it as meaning the same as murder. Murder is criminal homicide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mikerodgers96

they're having problems in the US with supplies of chemicals for lethal injection

some companies are refusing to supply on ethical grounds

apparently there a few different chemicals that can be used

• Registered Users Posts: 33,211 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

prisoners get to stay imo a 3 star hotels, a bit like Travelodge,

a warm bed, free TV, 3 meal a day with a roof over their head... you know things that law abiding citizen have to pay for..

I'm guessing you've never been in a Traveldoge or a prison!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 forumlover

if you're looking for a long & painful execution...................try marriage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mikerodgers96

I'm guessing you've never been in a Traveldoge or a prison!

he's never been to mountjoy or he wouldn't say that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

1 bullet, bang bang

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Of course it actually costs more to execute someone in the US than lifetime incarceration but hey lets ignore that fact. And looking to China as a model of justice and punishment... bloody hell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

gallag wrote: »
    Use them as medical guinea pigs, let them give something back to the world. Give them cancer and have the finest experts and care try to cure them and try new drugs and treatments out.

the data would be useless. they have specific breeds of rats ( and other animals) to ensure repeatability and homogeneity

MJ23 wrote: »
    1 bullet, bang bang

A gunshot to the head is not always instant though, people have survived suicide attempts from this method for instance. You'd need to repeatedly charge off a firearm into the head, I reckon death would come fairly swiftly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bah, the Russians knew how to deal with criminals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

If someone is sentenced to death isn't it hypocritical to say they deserve a dignified and painless send off? What is the purpose of the sentence, I thought it was punishment, so who cares how much pain they suffer. Not saying I agree with capital punishment but if I did, this would my train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,615 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

MJ23 wrote: »
    1 bullet, bang bang

Don't you mean 'bang'?

Or do you retrieve and fire it a second time? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mickpat wrote: »
    When filling out the death certs for executed prisoners in America, the reason for death is filled in as homicide. Says it all really.

Only if your in the mistaken belief that homicide means murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Nitrogen Asphyxiation seems to be the method of the future...

http://www.gistprobono.org/ihhp/id1.html

i remember the BBC doing a program about this and IIRC when they interviewed some pro execution governor about it you man wouldnt hear of it the reason being he wanted the criminals to suffer like thier victims.

edit
    heres a clip

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Bah, the Russians knew how to deal with criminals!

Most here will remember about decade ago when two certain West Dublin boyos tried to move their drug and extortion racket to southern Spain. Unfortunately they moved in on Russian Mob territory, the lads were killed gangland style and buried in the foundations of an apartment complex which was built over them and owned by their killers.

Russians are scary fcukers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

o1s1n wrote: »
    Don't you mean 'bang'?

Or do you retrieve and fire it a second time? :pac:
    3 mins in if its not your thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Shot at point blank range in the head with a hangun. Quick and painless, but might leave a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Most here will remember about decade ago when two certain West Dublin boyos tried to move their drug and extortion racket to southern Spain. Unfortunately they moved in on Russian Mob territory, the lads were killed gangland style and buried in the foundations of an apartment complex which was built over them and owned by their killers.

Russians are scary fcukers.

And guess who cared? No one. This country is glad to be rid of them.

Big island off the coast somewhere and everyone convicted of a crime above a certain level is brought over and dropped in from a helicopter . Thats the last interaction the state has with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Kolido wrote: »
    If someone is sentenced to death isn't it hypocritical to say they deserve a dignified and painless send off? What is the purpose of the sentence, I thought it was punishment, so who cares how much pain they suffer. Not saying I agree with capital punishment but if I did, this would my train of thought.

If you're denying them life then that is the ultimate punishment. Torturing them is just sadistic.

• Advertisement

And guess who cared? No one. This country is glad to be rid of them.

Big island off the coast somewhere and everyone convicted of a crime above a certain level is brought over and dropped in from a helicopter . Thats the last interaction the state has with them .

Shane Coates wasn't as bad as the media made him out to be. They were still somebodies sons, brother, father, partner in fairness. They paid the ultimate price for their choices in life.

Advertisement