Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methods of Execution.

Options
  • 04-08-2013 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

The death penalty thread is back again this weekend. So lets say we take it on, what method would you use?

The oldest one is probably hanging, the British had the long drop system which supposedly broke the neck on impact (after the trap door had been pulled) The condemned man or woman's height and weight were taken into account when setting the drop. Apparently the person would feel nothing after impact (unconscious), however the body could take 30-45 minutes to die (half hung Mary for eg who survived the long drop) . Hence they were left hanging for a regulation 3 hours before being cut down.

Electric Chair. I always found this a rather gruesome method, it doesn't always work right. The case of Alan Davis in Florida for example in 2000. He was a monster but he suffered something fierce on the night of his execution when the chair malfunctioned. Staff were prosecuted after it (Cruel and Unusual Punishment) and the chair method was banned from Florida State afterwards.

Lethal injection I suppose seems the most humane course but that has also seen some horror stories, most notably Robyn Lee Parks who was executed in front of media members. He had a violent reaction, he went into violent spasm and screamed and contorted for 11 minutes before dying. 'Painful ugly and scary' as one reporter commented.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

It'll never happen, but the guillotine was efficient and left no doubt as to timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

None.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

no repeat offenders form a guillotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thom Merrilin

Nice cheery festive thread, just in time for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭tritium

If you're going to embrace the barbarism of the death penalty at least have the balls to do it properly instead of pretending its all nice and painless.

Schapism or the brass bull, see how long we think the death penalty is remotely civilised after those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Death by snu snu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Electric Chair. I always found this a rather gruesome method, it doesn't always work right. The case of Alan Davis in Florida for example in 2000. He was a monster but he suffered something fierce on the night of his execution when the chair malfunctioned. Staff were prosecuted after it (Cruel and Unusual Punishment) and the chair method was banned from Florida State afterwards.

Well, it did work, he was dead after it, from electrocution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bruthal wrote: »
    Well, it did work, he was dead after it, from electrocution.

OP is obviously getting mixed up with the near death penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

I say a death by a shooting squad would be pretty quick, compared to injections or hanging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Firing squad, not that it will ever happen or even that it is a deterrent.

• Advertisement

no repeat offenders form a guillotine.

Any from any other executed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The death penalty thread is back again this weekend. So lets say we take it on, what method would you use?

We won't be taking it on. Thankfully we are beyond this in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Death by high speed project at immovable mass e.g. fire you out of a canon against a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Hanging, Drawing and Quartering is the only thing they'll understand, particularly those pesky 12 year old unemployed chimney sweeps making a nuisance of themselves on the Luas Red Line.

realies wrote: »

It was available in Utah up to 2004, and was an option inmates could choose. I think 3 are still awaiting execution who chose it before it was removed as an option, so it might still happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It was available in Utah up to 2004, and was an option inmates could choose. I think 3 are still awaiting execution who chose it before it was removed as an option, so it might still happen.

I always thought firing squad was reserved for soldiers for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Firing squad always reminds me of Robert Erskine Childers an English man who pursued Irish Freedom. He was a member of the Anglo Irish Treaty delegation in 1921.

The Free State arrested and sentenced him to death for the possession of a handgun in 1922. When the firing squad lined up initially they paused for some reason when the order was given. Childers then spoke, he said 'come closer boys, it will be easier for you.'

His son Erskine H Childers later became President of Ireland.

I always thought firing squad was reserved for soldiers for some reason

I think it probably was at one stage alright.

It'll never happen, but the guillotine was efficient and left no doubt as to timeframe.

Unless they jammed part way through. Likely happened now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Unless they jammed part way through. Likely happened now and again.

It happened in the movie La veuve de Saint Pierre and the victim had to be decapitated with a knife.

A great movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191636/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A bullet in the head is fairly reliable and painless.Much prefer to electrocution or injection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Was really talking about it happening here :o:o As far as I know in China its the most common form of execution,they even have a mobile execution van drive around ,less of a mess :( although its not the firing sqad its by lethal injection...

The execution van, also called a mobile execution unit, was developed by the government of the People's Republic of China and were first used in 1997...

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mobile%20van%20in%20china%20for%20excuting&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FExecution_van&ei=fhT-UfnMIaq47AaMm4HADg&usg=AFQjCNFln3mAWgPxZUUvoMQGYYAdhGFzxg&bvm=bv.50165853,d.ZGU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Nitrogen Asphyxiation seems to be the method of the future...

http://www.gistprobono.org/ihhp/id1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was really talking about it happening here :o:o As far as I know in China its the most common form of execution,they even have a mobile execution van drive around ,less of a mess :( although its not the firing sqad its by lethal injection...

The execution van, also called a mobile execution unit, was developed by the government of the People's Republic of China and were first used in 1997...

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mobile%20van%20in%20china%20for%20excuting&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FExecution_van&ei=fhT-UfnMIaq47AaMm4HADg&usg=AFQjCNFln3mAWgPxZUUvoMQGYYAdhGFzxg&bvm=bv.50165853,d.ZGU

Probably not these days as they'll want to preserve the organs,god knows what they do to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We won't be taking it on. Thankfully we are beyond this in Ireland.

Yup so instead we just keep our murderers in a nice cosy cell and spend thousands a year feeding them and looking after them and sure maybe let them out on good behaviour.

Put a blindfold on and get on the knees and face the wall. Bullet to the head. Same way the Chinese do it. End of story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Must google alan davis now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tickle stick. Slow and the pain as the laugher became breathless would be long lasting before finally either the guilty died of heart failure or lack of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doesnt have to be a deterrant, just has to stop reoffending.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Must google alan davis now

Allen Lee Davis was his full name. I misspelled his first name in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mickpat

When filling out the death certs for executed prisoners in America, the reason for death is filled in as homicide. Says it all really.

Advertisement