Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've Joined a Cult

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Sod the PM's, stick it in the thread so that all us disciples of Pete can follow the righteous advice!

I really don't want to tell people what to eat or what I eat. There is so much information out there from people better trained and more informed than I.

If a person isn't prepared to do a bit of cooking then there's probably no point in engaging in this kind of carry on. Just pick easy stuff from paleo sites. Most meals are as easy to make as a fry. A roast Chicken with veg takes 20 mins prep max. Roasting a dish full of veg on its own is a doddle.

j@utis wrote: »
    low carb snacks are better option than say fruit or muesli bars or other heavily advertised junk but still you'd be better off eating less frequently.

Yep. I snack much less these days as my hunger is properly satisfied by my meals. Healthy oils and fats sate hunger. But if I do need to snack I eat nuts.

This for instance is a doddle.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/perfect-roast-chicken

The only change I make is I use coconut oil instead of olive oil and I never have any herbs to stick in the chicken so I don't bother. You don't need to get the quantity of veg exact either. You then have 4 days worth of chicken. If you want to go as mental as me you can then make soup or broth with the carcass and the same kinds of veg you used earlier. All from a chicken that costs about a €10 (if you buy organic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I had a paelo muffin from Pichet with an espresso as my snack.
    Yummy.
    Chicken and salad for lunch, and I will have prawns with some beetroot for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Soarer wrote: »
    Breakfast is a breeze. But I don't know what to "snack on" that' high fat/low carb.

Olives, nuts, cheese, ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

This for instance is a doddle.
    <...>. All from a chicken that costs about a €10 (if you buy organic).
    yeah, I cook whole chicken quite often too, organic of course. but I use the slow cooker for this. I coat it in whatever spices I can find in the cupboard with loads of salt and pepper, wrap it in tin foil and leave it in slow cooker for 3-4 hours. later just pop it under the grill for 20-30mins to crisp up the skin while I'm preparing veg for the side dish. easy peasy, always perfectly cooked chicken, meat falling of the bones, delicious crispy skin, all dripping with fat yummmy!!! :D
    I would like some of it now but tonight's dinner is grilled grain free sausages with steamed veg with loads of butter. heaven.

wrap it in tin foil and leave it in slow cooker for 3-4 hours.
    Excuse my ignorance but do you have water in there or just put it in dry?

I'm new to slow cooking and was under the impression that everything had to be in stew or soup form.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I put little bit of water like half of cup or so outside the tin foil, chicken cooks in its own juices, no water necessary and it comes out moist and infused with spices. we never liked home roasted chicken before, because of the effort required and final result wasn't always perfect. We used to buy chicken breasts a lot but now other parts of the chicken are eaten first because they're so tasty.
    it's really much easier than roasting in the oven: no need to check, baste or anything - just throw it into slow cooker and go off do other things. and it's cheaper too, slow cooker consumes 150 watts/hour comparing to good few kWh oven, probably 4kwh or more.

We used to buy chicken breasts a lot but now other parts of the chicken are eaten first because they're so tasty.
    Amen to that.

Thanks for the tip, this week's chicken will be done your way. The slow cooker is a great device. The best thing I have slow cooked is this:
    http://bipolarpaleo.blogspot.fr/2011/09/oxtail-stew.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

While we are on the subject of recipies would, I thought that I might randomly share some of mine.

This evening I made a prawn and spinach satay. Took about 10mins.

Prawns - bought from M&S
    1 shallot
    2 garlic cloves
    Spoon of curry powder
    Big spoon of peanut butter
    Handful of baby spinach leaves.

Stirfry onion and garlic in small amount of oil, then add the curry powder and prawns. Stirfry prawns until orange.
    Add peanut butter. Add small amount of water (200ml maybe).
    Chop and add the spinach and some coriander.

Serve.

It's stunning. Simple and nutritious.
    Looks great.
    It is a superfast food - I challenge anyone to order a prawn curry from a takeaway in the time it takes to prepare this dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I've taken to having the odd espresso with a spoon of butter in it. There may be no hope for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

since joining this cult Ive lost 11kg, I have increased mileage drastically but its mostly 120-125bpm HR for recovery. some weeks Ive had 2-3 cheat days which arent bad when the calories are being burned ,but Im trying to limit it to 1 day a week, most sweets taste like **** now anyway, it has to be something luxurious or a good ice cream

Ive perfected crispy bacon, my butchers sells it in vacum packs, best thing is after the fat is rendered off I fry veg in it, then when its cooked I cover with grated cheese! Im a half tub a day peanut butter man now, Id prob get sick of it if I ate more than that

niceonetom wrote: »
    I've taken to having the odd espresso with a spoon of butter in it. There may be no hope for me.

I've tried this too. But I wasn't going to be the first to admit it publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »

I used to like you... that's just wrong dude

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

I've tried this too. But I wasn't going to be the first to admit it publicly.

Just sipping on a coffee with butter right now :) wait till you're mixing in coconut oil and blending it so its like a latte :)
    Great log, once you start eating more this way you,wonder why you never did it, and eating a big baguette suddenly makes you bloated and tired.
    Do you follow Barry Murray on twitter, he's on4sport nutrition, think hes food guy for BMC and particularly Steve Cummings. He also does ultra running himself. I know more and more triathletes are heading that way, lots under his guide, he gave my triathlon (sorry) club a talk all about it if you we're in a club get in touch with him for a lecture!

PS love that people pick holes in a day sample diet, where their's might contain coco pops, sandwiches and pasta with scones and granola bars thrown in as snacks, but yours is the unbalanced ones:)

If it feels good keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Why would you put butter in coffee?

Neil%20Patrick%20Harris%20asking%20why.gif

Is there any science behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

to loose weight you have too keep your insulin levels low and stable for your body to be able to access your body fat reserves.

low carb snacks are better option than say fruit or muesli bars or other heavily advertised junk but still you'd be better off eating less frequently.

are you referring to a fruit bar or piece of fruit as in orange/ apple?

I was in a large coffee chain this morning and I realised the parallel world I am now living in. A woman ahead of me had ordered a latte asked "what's a cappucino?". The assistant said "iz like latte but more foam". Woman: "oh right, I see it has less calories, might get it next time."

I haven't got to the stage where I am converting strangers in coffee shops but I nearly started on her.

All the drinks have the calories listed. And all the treats have the saturated fat content listed. Nothing about sugar content. I looked to see what treats I would consider healthy and all I could see was roasted salted almonds and a jar of natural yoghurt. Everything else was sugar and wheat based. If I was a cynical man I would say people are being deliberately deceived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

This article is in today's Guardian, you might find some of it interesting
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/30/junk-food-calories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I was in a large coffee chain this morning and I realised the parallel world I am now living in. A woman ahead of me had ordered a latte asked "what's a cappucino?". The assistant said "iz like latte but more foam". Woman: "oh right, I see it has less calories, might get it next time."

I haven't got to the stage where I am converting strangers in coffee shops but I nearly started on her.

All the drinks have the calories listed. And all the treats have the saturated fat content listed. Nothing about sugar content. I looked to see what treats I would consider healthy and all I could see was roasted salted almonds and a jar of natural yoghurt. Everything else was sugar and wheat based. If I was a cynical man I would say people are being deliberately deceived.

If I'm not mistaken I think the majority of people (that don't have a small bit of healthy food eating knowledge) are completely unaware of the negative effect sugar has. It's more or less 'the more calories I consume, the fatter I get' :|

Zyzz wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken I think the majority of people (that don't have a small bit of healthy food eating knowledge) are completely unaware of the negative effect sugar has. It's more or less 'the more calories I consume, the fatter I get' :|

Well I think everyone knows its not good for you to some extent but you're not really told the true effects. And you're not told the physiology of what drives a person to crave and seek sugar. If you watch your colleagues going for sweets throughout the day, tiredness kicking in mid afternoon, trips to the sweet machine. It's like watching lab rats. I don't have cravings anymore and they think it is due to some enormous will power, it isn't. I just turned the sugar switch off.

Meanwhile they are all scared sh!tless of the fat on a chop. More fat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

Mmmmm......chop fat!

752304d1341159223-what-you-wearing-sunday-june-1st-homer_drooling_wallpaper_-_1024x768.jpg

Right who is the first to admit they have tried this.... Tom?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-eat-insects/

Actually, I have in Malaysia at a fried insect stand. Grasshoppers are terrible. Crickets task like death. I had some sort of worm that was just about edible.

If you watch your colleagues going for sweets throughout the day, tiredness kicking in mid afternoon, trips to the sweet machine. It's like watching lab rats.

It's 16:30 and 1 person went for a chocolate from the tin in the centre of the office. 5 people went soon after. First guy went back again. Another guy is on his 3rd.

3 of these people are actively on a calorie cutting diet (and not losing weight). A different subset of 3 think I am insane in my eating habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's 16:30 and 1 person went for a chocolate from the tin in the centre of the office. 5 people went soon after. First guy went back again. Another guy is on his 3rd.

3 of these people are actively on a calorie cutting diet. A different subset of 3 them think I am insane in my eating habits.

I read that in an Attenborough accent!

Activity around the sweet tin has ceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Actually, I have in Malaysia at a fried insect stand. Grasshoppers are terrible. Crickets task like death. I had some sort of worm that was just about edible.

Scorpions are tasty. Bit like shell-on prawns. But then most things are tasty if deep fried in spices.

I ate an unseasoned silk worm once during a tour of a silk factory in China. That was fairly grim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I tried a 'pick n mix' in Bangkok. Basically it was grasshoppers and water crickets. There was another more exotic, fleshy one I didnt get the name of. They were stir fried and sprayed with a sort of sweet soy sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement