Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Cider - a question or 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 303Techno

Could anyone give some advice?

Did a 24l worth of apple juice batch. Should be ready for priming tomorrow, I'm planning to use 2.5l of apple juice (is this okay?) and also wondering should I add any Lidl sweeteners and how much?

To avoid exploding bottles should I just ensure I don't fill up to the top? I'll be just reusing plastic sterilized bottles. I'll be priming by adding it all together in one larger (apple juice + cider) bucket then bottling. It smells a bit like Strongbow, is this normal? Haven't removed lid the entire time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

matrim wrote: »
    Was wondering as my GF does't like apple cider and was thinking about alternatives. Would it just be finding a good quality juice and using that instead of apple juice

A new girlfriend would be the correct course of action alright :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

303Techno wrote: »
    Could anyone give some advice?

Did a 24l worth of apple juice batch. Should be ready for priming tomorrow, I'm planning to use 2.5l of apple juice (is this okay?)

Yep.
    and also wondering should I add any Lidl sweeteners and how much?

Yes and it depends on how sweet you like it. None = mouth puckeringly dry. 2 per litre = dry. 4 per litre = medium dry. 7 per litre = sweet (a la bulmers).
    To avoid exploding bottles should I just ensure I don't fill up to the top?

Just don't add too much priming juice. That's what causes the explosions.
    I'll be just reusing plastic sterilized bottles. I'll be priming by adding it all together in one larger (apple juice + cider) bucket then bottling. It smells a bit like Strongbow, is this normal? Haven't removed lid the entire time.

Yeah, that's normal. All the sweetness is gone out of it now because the sugar has all been fermented into alcohol.

Good luck!

matrim wrote: »
    Was wondering as my GF does't like apple cider and was thinking about alternatives. Would it just be finding a good quality juice and using that instead of apple juice

I haven't found any decent alternatives yet. You might try the apple and mixed berry. My wife loves that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Had to get back on here and report on my own attempt at this turbo cider. I followed the tweaks that Khannie has made further back the thread by adding 2 750g bags of berries from Lidl )one bag was mixed berries, the other raspberries). Also I only added the berries a week before I intended to bottle.

After adding 4 of the Lidl sweetners to each 500ml bottle I waited three weeks before trying and when I did the cider was absolutely delicious. It was sweet without being too sweet and the colour is best described as orange with a red hue, probably because I didn't go all out on leave the berries sit in the fermenter for a full two weeks. I think I will on the next run, which I'll get going next week.

I'm really impressed with this recipe and have to give thanks to khannie and others who helped me out through the process. Its a great recipe mainly because the Lidl cloudy apple juice is of such a high quality. I'm now wondering what other juices are out there that match the quality of this- does anyone know of a pear juice that would be up to scratch ? I'd really like to have a go at making some really sweet and fizzy perry, the women in my life would be eternally thankful=)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

put on 5l of cloudy apple yesterday for a test batch (I had some spare cider yeast lying around due to last years pathetic apple crop).

I only have demijohns here so don't want to go messing around with muslin bags - assume I can blend up some mixed fruits with a little more juice and then strain it into the jar for secondary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Does the cider come out cloudy, or does the suspended apple come out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I put my first big batch (23L) on almost a week ago now, after having a few good DJ runs.

However I'm not seeing any airlock activity with this one at all....there was a lot of froth inside,which has died down.

bin temp is about 22 degrees, could the warm weather be screwing things about? its in one of the cooler rooms of the house,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ignore the airlock, it doesn't tell you anything useful. The gas is probably just leaving some other way. It's fine.

Does the cider come out cloudy, or does the suspended apple come out of it?

Cloudy. Yum.

• Advertisement

It'll clear if you leave it a couple of years.

Haha. :D My wife insists that the cloudiness makes it. She says it has a much nicer texture / mouthfeel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ignore the airlock, it doesn't tell you anything useful. The gas is probably just leaving some other way. It's fine.

I figured as much...not too worried though, it smells like its fermenting!!!

Bottles got tiny bit of green or more so brown sludgy at very bottom point of bottles, only small amount, seems like it could be shook back in but dunno if it means ruined or that's what I should do. Hope it aint ruined thought everything was going okay apart from noticing that, been in dark warm for about 5 days not fizz head starting to show etc. Only got Campden Tablets here.

Just dead yeast. Perfectly normal. It's fine.

adding some pectolase will help it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Hi got 23 litres of turbo cider fermented ready for bottling,I have splenda granulated sweetener just wondering does it need to be dissolved or can it be put in the second barrel with the apple juice for priming and roughly how many spoons per litre would bulmers sweet be?also have glass bottles in a solution of milton would it be ok to rinse them out with cold water or do they need a scrub with a bottle brush?which I forgot to buy!!this is my first time brewing so bit of a learning process

pic of my 1st couple of batches. I blended half a bag of fruit with half a carton of juice, then sieved, to add to the bottle on the left - still a lot of crud on the top though (I added a couple spoons of pectolase, be interesting to see how well it clears). the one on the right is still in primary.

The 5 litre water bottles from Lidl beat the crap out of glass demijohns - 1.29 each, they're pre-sterilised and come with a lid ;)

262697.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I have to agree re the Lidl water botles. :D

Hi got 23 litres of turbo cider fermented ready for bottling,I have splenda granulated sweetener just wondering does it need to be dissolved or can it be put in the second barrel with the apple juice for priming and roughly how many spoons per litre would bulmers sweet be?also have glass bottles in a solution of milton would it be ok to rinse them out with cold water or do they need a scrub with a bottle brush?which I forgot to buy!!this is my first time brewing so bit of a learning process

Just spotted this now. Splenda needs to be dissolved IMO. It doesn't mix as well as other powders at room temperature. You can dissolve it with the juice that you're going to use for priming though.

I'm not sure about the spoons. I've never used the granulated one before. Pretty sure others on here have though.

I never bother with a bottle brush unless there's "gick" (that's the scientific term :pac:) in them.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Well I siphoned into second barrel and left for a couple of days,then I added 2 cartons of cloudy apple juice and 4 spoons brewing sugar followed by the splenda which worked out at around 120 spoons of sugar..then gave the whole lot a good stir,then bottled up,think could of done things arse ways!won't know till its sampled in about 10 days,hopeful that it will be drinkable!

Sounds spot on. :) Good luck! 10 days is very soon. It'll probably still be quite rough at that point. 2 weeks is my own minimum. 4 weeks is better. Hard when the weather's like this mind you. ;)

urgh:
    http://www.fsai.ie/faqs/berries_Hepatitis_A.html

looks like I'll be ditching my first batch - the risk may be small, but I'm not risking HepA for a pint of cider...

loyatemu wrote: »
    urgh:
    http://www.fsai.ie/faqs/berries_Hepatitis_A.html

looks like I'll be ditching my first batch - the risk may be small, but I'm not risking HepA for a pint of cider...

I've siphoned it into a DJ and will leave it there until FSAI give some further information. Meanwhile I'm boiling up the berries now for my 2nd batch - they smell delicious, I may just eat them...

anyone tried using Loganberries for fruit cider btw? I have loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've siphoned it into a DJ and will leave it there until FSAI give some further information. Meanwhile I'm boiling up the berries now for my 2nd batch - they smell delicious, I may just eat them...

anyone tried using Loganberries for fruit cider btw? I have loads of them.

I was just thinking of logan berries today
    Do mind me asking where you got them?

my parents have a few bushes - bumper crop this year due to the good weather.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Just dead yeast. Perfectly normal. It's fine.

Is this sediment? Is it better to just leave at the bottom of the bottle and not shake back in?

Is there any ways to avoid this in the future or reduce it? I'm thinking of going for those big 5l bottles instead as that way there is less sediment for the amount of cider.

Kept warm 8 days, been chilled for 9 now. Had tried a few days back and seemed okay, certainly drinkable but not sure if it was smell or something made me think it needed a few more days/weeks. Wondering how strong it'll be.

Time to sort out next batch as first taste will be tonight/tomorrow. Wanting to know what people use for sterilizing? Have campden tablets at the moment.

Edit: Just tried it, poured a glass leaving sediment at bottom of bottle, added a cologran and was lovely. Smell is worse, much more alcohol or something, than the really clear taste. Looking forward to seeing what sort've strength I'm working with as provided it's rocket fuel I'll be very happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Is this sediment? Is it better to just leave at the bottom of the bottle and not shake back in?
    Probably best not to shake it back in - tastes awful
    Is there any ways to avoid this in the future or reduce it?
    Best way I have found is by racking it a couple of times before I bottle it. The only way to totally avoid it is by kegging it and artificially carbonating it - rather than priming

Time to sort out next batch as first taste will be tonight/tomorrow. Wanting to know what people use for sterilizing? Have campden tablets at the moment.
    I usually use Youngs sterilization powder but have also used a bleach and vinegar solution. can't remember the proportions, someone here will know. Just DON'T mix the bleach and vinegar neat, chlorine gas is dangerous!!

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    can't remember the proportions
    To 20L of water add 30ml thin bleach and 30ml vinegar. Scale as required.

• Advertisement

Khannie - how well did your fruit cider clear in the end?

Mines been a week in secondary now and its still looking very murky despite adding pectolase.

Advertisement