Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawkeye

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

Had to resurrect this thread to find this out:
    1. Is Hawkeye only going to be used in Croke Park?
    2. Is it going to be used in all games at Croker this year? (including the All-Ireland finals)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

lukin wrote: »
    Had to resurrect this thread to find this out:
    1. Is Hawkeye only going to be used in Croke Park?
    2. Is it going to be used in all games at Croker this year? (including the All-Ireland finals)

1. Yes. For 2 years and then there will be a review about whether to expand it to other grounds or whether to continue it at all.
    2. Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

WumBuster wrote: »
    1. Yes. For 2 years and then there will be a review about whether to expand it to other grounds or whether to continue it at all.
    2. Yes

Very forward-thinking by the GAA;not like them at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

already I deem it a success

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

harpsman wrote: »
    For starters disputed points are rare enough in Croke Park-when they do happen it tends to be in provincial grounds w shorter posts.

Has been used four times in Croker already this summer. A fantastic addition to the sport and will hopefully be introduced to all championship grounds in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

Not a GAA fan, was just curious about the hawkeye. Saw bits of matches in the last month and have to say it looks like it is a complete success.

Anyone who wants to argue against it when it comes up for discussion at the next congress will have a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

LOI Stats wrote: »
    Not a GAA fan, was just curious about the hawkeye. Saw bits of matches in the last month and have to say it looks like it is a complete success.

Anyone who wants to argue against it when it comes up for discussion at the next congress will have a hard time.

I'd say cost would be the biggest factor in a larger roll-out rather than anything else
    They have a sponsor for it in CP so if they can get sponsors for further roll-outs they it's a dead cert.
    lukin wrote: »
    Very forward-thinking by the GAA;not like them at all smile.png

the GAA are far more forward thinking than many often give them credit for.

Take for example the back door systems, essentially a major change in the way the championship is played
    The building of CP wired for floodlights even though they were not needed for a number of years after completion
    Rebuilding Hill 16 to accommodate bolted on seats if needed in the future, hich they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    already I deem it a success

I think it should be done for goals as well. Also, i think ''wide'' or ''outside'' would be more appropriate than ''miss'' which sounds a bit silly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

WumBuster wrote: »
    I think it should be done for goals as well. Also, i think ''wide'' or ''outside'' would be more appropriate than ''miss'' which sounds a bit silly imo.

Why is miss silly? You take a shot and you either score or you miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looking at that Munster Final, there looked to be a couple of times they could have used the Hawkeye.
    I suppose it's too late for this year's championship but could they use the TV camera replays for review of disputed points in the absence of hawkeye outside Croke Park? And should they?

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I suppose it's too late for this year's championship but could they use the TV camera replays for review of disputed points in the absence of hawkeye outside Croke Park? And should they?

No. Completely unreliable.

Eventually HawkEye will be used in more grounds, this season is a trial. Until then, we need to sit tight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hopefully this will be the thin end of the wedge and we'll get proper video refereeing implemented in the next few years.

The argument that fans won't want the game interrupted is already blown out as everyone seems to be dying for the ref to call for hawkeye so they can go "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH"!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Hopefully this will be the thin end of the wedge and we'll get proper video refereeing implemented in the next few years.

The argument that fans won't want the game interrupted is already blown out as everyone seems to be dying for the ref to call for hawkeye so they can go "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH"!

Slightly off-topic, but I think Donal Óg's call for timekeeping to be taken from the ref and implemented in the same way it is in Rugby Union would be a good step in the right direction. Then allow play to continue after the buzzer/hooter until play goes dead.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but I think Donal Óg's call for timekeeping to be taken from the ref and implemented in the same way it is in Rugby Union would be a good step in the right direction. Then allow play to continue after the buzzer/hooter until play goes dead.

From January 1st 2014 as far as I'm aware.

From January 1st 2014 as far as I'm aware.

Are you sure that isn't the "public clock" you are thinking of?

Are you sure that isn't the "public clock" you are thinking of?
    Motion 24 provides for a public time clock to be introduced in Croke Park and in all Grounds used for Provincial and All-Ireland Series Senior Football Championship games. The clock will be stopped during the game during certain stoppages of play, and the end of the game shall be signalled by a hooter.

That's how it's done in rugby - the ref calls "time off", the clock stops, game is over when clock gets to 80.

That's how it's done in rugby - the ref calls "time off", the clock stops, game is over when clock gets to 80.

Apologies, I was referring more to hurling. Though I'm sure that if successful in football it will be added to hurling in time.

Apologies, I was referring more to hurling. Though I'm sure that if successful in football it will be added to hurling in time.

I didn't even notice that it was a football only thing tbh - seems like a very hard one to argue against.

Hawkeye has completely ruined the minor hurling semi-final. Clear Limerick point given as a wide, even though the graphic showed it going over the bar. Hugely disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hawkeye has completely ruined the minor hurling semi-final. Clear Limerick point given as a wide, even though the graphic showed it going over the bar. Hugely disappointing.

That was very odd. Hard to know what happened. It could cost Limerick the match (gone into extra time now).

Hawkeye won't be used again today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Why did the ref even call for it? It was a clear point and even the keeper went to take the next puc out with no complaints

Technology is a wonderful thing but when it doesn't work then its accuracy will always come into question further down the line regardless. Huge huge cockup and could have been costly

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ive no idea why he even went to Hawkeye for that score.

Davy hopping around the dressing room apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Its a disgrace what happened !
    They used it again later in the game no problems!
    If limerick lose the game by a point this will come back to haunt the gaa!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

The first post says "if the ball hits the post it will be called as a miss". Maybe the ball hit the post and that's why it was called as a miss even though it was between the posts.

The first post says "if the ball hits the post it will be called as a miss". Maybe the ball hit the post and that's why it was called as a miss even though it was between the posts.

It didn't look to be touching the post in the graphic used.
    Chinpool wrote: »

Davy needs to understand that the world isn't out to get him, it affects Limerick as much as it does Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

garv123 wrote: »
    Why did the ref even call for it? It was a clear point and even the keeper went to take the next puc out with no complaints
    He could have been told in his earpiece that Hawkeye had identified the point he gave as a wide.

Chinpool wrote: »
    Ive no idea why he even went to Hawkeye for that score.

:D

Here's an artists impression of the Clare dressing room.

1204827-Cartoon-Of-A-Brunette-White-Boy-Throwing-A-Temper-Tantrum-On-The-Floor-Royalty-Free-Vector-Clipart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Kavrocks wrote: »
    He could have been told in his earpiece that Hawkeye had identified the point he gave as a wide.

A split second after the ball went over I highly doubt it and he's the ref not someone in his ear.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    A split second after the ball went over I highly doubt it and he's the ref not someone in his ear.

I suppose to be fair his angle is different then us at home or in the stand so perhaps if in doubt he was right to use the technology thats there.

Advertisement