Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawkeye

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

shawnee wrote: »
    Both umpires signalled the point clearly , it was the ref who called for hawk eye , perhaps he got something on his earphone. However what a shambles for the Gaa , video clearly showed a point and called a wide :confused:

But from who? It wasnt at an angle that would suggest a linesman had a better view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Red Pepper wrote: »
    It could only happen in the GAA. Amateurs in every way.
    Watched any of the Ashes cricket this summer? Errors in technology aren't confined to the GAA or amateur sports.

In this case the onus should be on the referee to make the final call if there is a discrepancy between the graphic and the on-screen decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Was a surprising call and I am sure it will come out in the wash but what a shambles of a decision :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Watched any of the Ashes cricket this summer? Errors in technology aren't confined to the GAA or amateur sports.

In this case the onus should be on the referee to make the final call if there is a discrepancy between the graphic and the on-screen decision.

But which is right ?
    The graphic or the on screen decision

The ref called for Hawkeye so he is going to be in a worse off state as it come back with an ambiguous answer

What seems to have happened here is that Hawkeye called it a Miss and showed it between the posts.
    So which is correct the text or the graphic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mattser

If my resident Sparrowhawk nails my resident Sparrow in the morning, will he release because Hawkeye says it's a MISS ?. Will he ...k.
    Hawkeye me hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The ref is definitely the one who specifies that hawkeye should be used. Maybe the umpire was telling ref he didnt know and then the ref signalled for hawkeye in the example you are talking about.

Yep, that's what I meant. The ref may be the one who actually makes the call upstairs to turn on their Hawkeye machine, but the process all starts with the umpire. If he doesn't wave his wee flag for a point, or wave his arms for a wide & makes the shape of a square with his hands instead, the ref doesn't really have much of a choice but to go upstairs to Hawkeye.

Or does he? I wonder what happens if the umpire indicates that he wants a Hawkeye decision, but the ref thinks that he had a good enough view to decide if it was a point or not. What does he do? Does he still go upstairs or does he trust his own eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Really was not meant to be Limericks day was it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

How much did that cost Galway to get hawk eye to rule out one of Limericks points? Surely a case for match fixing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The ref did even it up at the end though. He gave limerick a phantom free at the end to level. He should have blown up before that as well I think. There was only supposed to be 1 min of injury time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There seems to be no doubt that Hawkeye tracked the flight of the ball correctly but got the decision wrong. So the solution to the problem is to have the actual decision made by a '5th umpire' who would look at the evidence from Hawkeye and the TV replays. Then, if the referee refers the decision 'upstairs', he would just accept whatever the 5th umpire decides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

niallo27 wrote: »
    The ref did even it up at the end though. He gave limerick a phantom free at the end to level. He should have blown up before that as well I think. There was only supposed to be 1 min of injury time I think.

But the free to Galway before that was no free either to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Browney7 wrote: »
    But the free to Galway before that was no free either to be fair

True it was very soft alright. I'd be pissed off alright if it happened to a Clare team.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

I have had a look the the TV broadcast of the game....

The referee did NOT decide to use hawkeye.

The shot was taken, it was signaled as a point by the umpires. The ref allowed play to continue. The ball was pucked out to midfield, where it was being contested and the referee was watching the play closely for about two seconds.

THEN, he suddenly blew his whistle to stop the game, and made his hand signals that he wanted to have a hawkeye review.

This was not the referee's decision.

Hawkeye came up with its decision and the referee trusted that and went with the decision for a wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Common sense should have prevailed. It was an obvious point. Therefore hawk eye should have been overruled and point awarded.

kevin7 wrote: »

The shot was taken, it was signaled as a point by the umpires. The ref allowed play to continue. The ball was pucked out to midfield, where it was being contested and the referee was watching the play closely for about two seconds.

THEN, he suddenly blew his whistle to stop the game, and made his hand signals that he wanted to have a hawkeye review.

Hawkeye came up with its decision and the referee trusted that and went with the decision for a wide.

So who is running the show, the officials on the field or Hawkeye ?

I though the procedure was for the umpires to alert the ref that Hawkeye should be used, or for the ref to decide himself that Hawkeye used be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

But which is right ?
    The graphic or the on screen decision

The GAA seem to be going with the on screen decision, saying that the graphic was not generated correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

kevin7 wrote: »

Spot on Kevin, I watched the recording when I got home last night again, the ref even scribbles out the score on his notebook you can see clearly on the tv pictures. He obviously got a shout into his ear piece to stop the game but who made this decision, the Limerick minors deserve an explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

So who is running the show, the officials on the field or Hawkeye ?

I though the procedure was for the umpires to alert the ref that Hawkeye should be used, or for the ref to decide himself that Hawkeye used be used.

No, it was clear it was a point to everyone. Hawkeye fooked up,,,there was no need to inform the ref of anything.

Rightwing wrote: »
    No, it was clear it was a point to everyone. Hawkeye fooked up,,,there was no need to inform the ref of anything.

Yes Hawkeye was incorrect as there was a mismatch between the graphic (the ball going inside the posts if I recall) and the caption was MISS.

But it does not matter if it was a clear point or not, the question is why was there a review if the ref nor the umpires requested one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

The umpire to the right of the goal requested Hawkeye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

angelfire9 wrote: »
    The umpire to the right of the goal requested Hawkeye

How does he request it?? Does he signal up to the hawkeye box?? Would have thought the ref would have to request it.

I got the impression from the sunday game that it was hawkeye that requested it to be used. If this is the case it should be binned :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Pandiani wrote: »
    How does he request it?? Does he signal up to the hawkeye box?? Would have thought the ref would have to request it.

Immediately after the point the umpire did a thing with his hands making the shape of a box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

The umpires, linesmen and ref are now connected by microphone..

I assume one of them could have said it to him that way?

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Immediately after the point the umpire did a thing with his hands making the shape of a box

Did you see that yourself at the game ?
    On the original TV footage you do not see that ever happening, once the point is initially 'scored' the camera does not return to the umpires so you cannot see if they signal or not.

I did not see The Sunday Game so I do not know if they showed other angles of the umpires

The sunday game said hawk eye requested it, let's no be needlessly blaming umpires and refs. The ref in that minor match was very good...ok he gave a soft free to each team at the end.

The sunday game said hawk eye requested it, let's no be needlessly blaming umpires and refs. The ref in that minor match was very good...ok he gave a soft free to each team at the end.

Ok, so there is a guy called a 'Review Official' in the box that can instruct the ref that Hawkeye should be used (see OP of this thread).

That is what seems to have happened here

But the poor ref is left with an impossible task because of what is essentially a software failure with the system, i.e it showed a point but called it a miss.

In this case I don't understand the need for this 'Review Official', surely between the ref and two umpires they should be in a position to decided if a score is good or if it need review.

Ok, so there is a guy called a 'Review Official' in the box that can instruct the ref that Hawkeye should be used (see OP of this thread).

That is what seems to have happened here

But the poor ref is left with an impossible task because of what is essentially a software failure with the system, i.e it showed a point but called it a miss.

In this case I don't understand the need for this 'Review Official', surely between the ref and two umpires they should be in a position to decided if a score is good or if it need review.

That's exactly it, no one questionned it, until this dummy thought he saw somthing that one else did. :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

The ref was brutal.Wouldnt give a free for anything.Awful.Gives Galway a soft free near the end and what was the limerick free for?Useless ref

• Advertisement

yomtea98 wrote: »
    The ref was brutal.Wouldnt give a free for anything.Awful.Gives Galway a soft free near the end and what was the limerick free for?Useless ref

At the end he was looking for a draw.

Galway needed a score, he gave them a soft free, then they got another point from play in injury time and it was Limk who needed the score, gave us a soft free. Apart from that I thought he was good.

Advertisement