Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawkeye

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

In fairness I would trust Hawkeye far more than the umpires... Even after hearing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

What gets me about Hawkeye is when does the ref decide to use it? Does the aggrieved team have to roar at the referee to look for Hawkeye? What if a wide is waved a point and the team doesn't protest?

Think they need to put a process in place whereby if the umpires aren't sure they tell the ref to go upstairs. Its as if the GAA didn't think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Chinpool wrote: »
    And the reality is thats its technology. Every single piece of tech has its bugs and can occasionally go on sh!t attacks. No amount of testing can replicate real world situations. It could simply be that the exact variables today caused a result that played havoc.

It's a bit of a cop out excuse though in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cliste wrote: »
    It's a bit of a cop out excuse though in fairness..

Its reality. Anyone that says theyve implemented a piece of tech that has to account for that many possible variables (height, trajectory, speed etc) with 100% accuracy without a single bug is simply a liar or the greatest programmers ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Chinpool wrote: »
    And the reality is thats its technology. Every single piece of tech has its bugs and can occasionally go on sh!t attacks. No amount of testing can replicate real world situations. It could simply be that the exact variables today caused a result that played havoc.

Exact variables? It was a straightforward shot from the middle of the field straight in front of the posts. For that reason I doubt it would difficult to replicate.
    If it was a sideline cut or a difficult/tight angle or a 70 yard free there might be a case for a rare bug.

• Advertisement

Ah shure lets just keep using it and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Exact variables? It was a straightforward shot from the middle of the field straight in front of the posts. For that reason I doubt it would difficult to replicate.
    If it was a sideline cut or a difficult/tight angle or a 70 yard free there might be a case for a rare bug.

We dont know a thing about how it delivers results though or really anything about the software or hardware they have there. We dont have access to the logs so it could have been a programming error, could have been a sensor issue, could have been anything that caused a false result. Hell a pigeon could have shat on something that caused a problem. We cant call it amateur and should have been tested better when we dont know exactly what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It seemed to match the trajectory perfectly, there wasn't an issue with the flight of the ball or the system's replication of this (apart from the red line not turning white, hence indicating that the ball had split the posts). The issue was that the graphic displayed "Miss" and not "Point" for whatever reason and therein lay the error. Unless you are familiar with the intricacies of Hawkeye and the testing (or lack thereof) that the GAA carried out, then I don't think it is fair to blame the GAA before the Hawkeye providers.
    Ah shure lets just keep using it and hope for the best.

Nobody is suggesting this. Everyone is equally disappointed about this, but some people are reacting differently to others.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's how it's done in rugby - the ref calls "time off", the clock stops, game is over when clock gets to 80.
    Ladies' Football has had this for a number of years.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It seemed to match the trajectory perfectly, there wasn't an issue with the flight of the ball or the system's replication of this (apart from the red line not turning white, hence indicating that the ball had split the posts). The issue was that the graphic displayed "Miss" and not "Point" for whatever reason and therein lay the error. Unless you are familiar with the intricacies of Hawkeye and the testing (or lack thereof) that the GAA carried out, then I don't think it is fair to blame the GAA before the Hawkeye providers.

Yes yes I know but surely the software at the very very minimum should have the graphic result matching the text result.

I would be less concerned if both the graphic and text were consistent on either "Miss" or "Point" even if it was wrong. That would suggest calibration issues rather than software.

• Advertisement

Nobody is suggesting this. Everyone is equally disappointed about this, but some people are reacting differently to others.

I am from Galway and I have to say it throws a cloud over the result. The teams were level at half time and full time. But what's worse is that those young lads from Limerick will always think about what could/should have been. Completely unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It seems that Hawkeye should have gone to Specsavers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The referee has the power to over-rule hawkeye, doesnt he?

So why not keep using it for the senior match and let the ref decide based on what he sees in the replay whether its a point? But then, I guess they dont know to what extent the bug is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

This match should have been a replay and no one would have minded the mistake.

What the ref was doing going to hawkeye is beyond me, it was as obvious a point as you'll ever see.

Rightwing wrote: »
    it was as obvious a point as you'll ever see.

3r4wmj.jpg

3r4wmj.jpg

Watch the Galway goalie,,,that's as clear an indication as you'll ever get.

This match should have been a replay and no one would have minded the mistake.

This may be off the point of hawk eye a little. But why wasnt it a replay???

An AI semi should go to 1 replay before extra time.

Watch the Galway goalie,,,that's as clear an indication as you'll ever get.

I've seen the match. I've seen the incident and the goalie going for his hurl a few times now. It's still an exaggeration. It was relatively close to the post, though certainly a point. I reckon there was about a sliotar or less between the sliotar and the post when it went over.

I was at the game and have to admit I didnt notice the hawk eye mistake (nobody around me did, we just accepted the decision) and didnt know about it til after the match. Which point exactly was this? Was it the one in the first minute?

I was at the game and have to admit I didnt notice the hawk eye mistake (nobody around me did, we just accepted the decision) and didnt know about it til after the match. Which point exactly was this? Was it the one in the first minute?

ya, the 1st minute

• Advertisement

ya, the 1st minute

hmm, that's interesting. Cos the ref kinda delayed before going to hawkeye for that one. I wonder if that had an impact on it. I actually wondered if he suddenly asked for hawkeye cos a player out in midfield suggested to him that it might not be a point.

i agree, but i meant in terms of no galway player challenged it, umpires waved it over, fans cheered, there was no reason to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The fans actually cheered when the Hawkeye graphic showed the trajectory of the ball going between the posts. Then miss game up and thought my eyes must have played tricks on me

Browney7 wrote: »
    The fans actually cheered when the Hawkeye graphic showed the trajectory of the ball going between the posts. Then miss game up and thought my eyes must have played tricks on me

Yeah, to be honest, I didnt have the best view of the big screen (Upper Hogan) so I wasnt looking very closely. I just accepted the "Miss" as being correct. And as I said, nobody around me said anything about it so they all accepted it as a Miss too which is strange(particularly as one Limerick woman complained about EVERY decision that went against Limerick all day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Browney7 wrote: »
    What gets me about Hawkeye is when does the ref decide to use it? Does the aggrieved team have to roar at the referee to look for Hawkeye? What if a wide is waved a point and the team doesn't protest?

Think they need to put a process in place whereby if the umpires aren't sure they tell the ref to go upstairs. Its as if the GAA didn't think about it

I'm open to correction on this, but I think its the umpires who decide to go upstairs & not the ref. I was standing directly behind the Hill 16 goal at the Dublin/Cork semi last weekend. An attempt at a point was made by a Dublin player. The puck came in very high and at a funny angle. It didn't clear or miss the posts in a way that could be seen clearly with the naked eye, even by the umpires that were standing directly by the goal.

The umpire nearest to me, made the square signal with his hands, the way that you see rugby refs do when they want the TV judge to decide on awarding a try or not. I took to mean that he couldn't tell for sure if it was a point or not, and wanted Hawkeye to decide. So that's what happened. The ref stood for a minute with his hand pressed to his ear, presumably telling the people upstairs that he wanted Hawkeye used. I was right behind the goal so I saw it all clearly. The umpire was definitely the first person to react after the ball came in, not the ref.

I think there has been a bit of an over reaction to be honest. Not the effect it had on the game, but Hawkeye itself. It's a piece of technology. There will be bugs to be ironed out that can't always be done so before a game. However, I do hope that a better system is put in place where by the GAA are able to address mistakes that are made as the game is still going on.

Hawkeye isn't perfect. If it does occasionally make a balls of things, there should be real live human beings sitting beside a TV monitor who can use their own eyes to judge if Hawkeye is getting it right. It's not fair on the players who work so hard, as the wrong minor team left Croke Park as losers today imo.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this, but I think its the umpires who decide to go upstairs & not the ref. I was standing directly behind the Hill 16 goal at the Dublin/Cork semi last weekend. An attempt at a point was made by a Dublin player. The puck came in very high and at a funny angle. It didn't clear or miss the posts in a way that could be seen clearly with the naked eye, even by the umpires that were standing directly by the goal.

The umpire nearest to me, made the square signal with his hands, the way that you see rugby refs do when they want the TV judge to decide on awarding a try or not. I took to mean that he couldn't tell for sure if it was a point or not, and wanted Hawkeye to decide. So that's what happened. The ref stood for a minute with his hand pressed to his ear, presumably telling the people upstairs that he wanted Hawkeye used. I was right behind the goal so I saw it all clearly. The umpire was definitely the first person to react after the ball came in, not the ref.

I think there has been a bit of an over reaction to be honest. Not the effect it had on the game, but Hawkeye itself. It's a piece of technology. There will be bugs to be ironed out that can't always be done so before a game. However, I do hope that a better system is put in place where by the GAA are able to address mistakes that are made as the game is still going on.

Hawkeye isn't perfect. If it does occasionally make a balls of things, there should be real live human beings sitting beside a TV monitor who can use their own eyes to judge if Hawkeye is getting it right. It's not fair on the players who work so hard, as the wrong minor team left Croke Park as losers today imo.

I mean in fairness, isn't that a no brainer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's not fair on the players who work so hard, as the wrong minor team left Croke Park as losers today imo.

We were seriously fortunate to get that last free, time was well up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Both umpires signalled the point clearly , it was the ref who called for hawk eye , perhaps he got something on his earphone. However what a shambles for the Gaa , video clearly showed a point and called a wide :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Hawkeye will forever now be known in GAA circles as Sh1tehawk.

• Advertisement

The ref is definitely the one who specifies that hawkeye should be used. Maybe the umpire was telling ref he didnt know and then the ref signalled for hawkeye in the example you are talking about.

Good point, Hawkeye is being trialled at the moment. So in many ways, it is good to see these mistakes at an early stage of its use.

Advertisement