Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Only decent side Waterford played so far were Clare and they were fairly comfortably beaten that day. The only hope is that KK will be emotionally and physically drained after 3 huge games and that they may come into the game a bit sluggish. Tbh though that's wishful thinking because it's KK we're talking about. The way I see it is they've had 3 really competitive games and we haven't really been at the races nor have we had as many competitive games. I can only see a KK win because we don't have the scoring power to beat them at present BUT if we hit very few wides we'll certainly be in with a chance because KK haven't been racking up huge scores either.

TLDR
    I think it'll be a relatively comfortable KK win, ~7 points, but I hope Waterford catch them on the hop after 3 tough games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

jive wrote: »
    Only decent side Waterford played so far were Clare and they were fairly comfortably beaten that day. The only hope is that KK will be emotionally and physically drained after 3 huge games and that they may come into the game a bit sluggish. Tbh though that's wishful thinking because it's KK we're talking about. The way I see it is they've had 3 really competitive games and we haven't really been at the races nor have we had as many competitive games. I can only see a KK win because we don't have the scoring power to beat them at present BUT if we hit very few wides we'll certainly be in with a chance because KK haven't been racking up huge scores either.

TLDR
    I think it'll be a relatively comfortable KK win, ~7 points, but I hope Waterford catch them on the hop after 3 tough games.

I know its the wrong thing to say but I have to say it what a pity we dont have mullane next weekend I think we could take them if we did unfortunately I just can't see us racking up enough scores against that defence

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Maurice Shanahan, Jake Dillon and co should ask more questions of their backs though then we did and if they can contain the Kilkenny forwards who arent exactly on fire, then id give Waterford a serious chance.

Shefflin was a huge psychological boost but at 34, these injuries have to take their toll at some stage and he cant be 100%. Waterford are in an ideal situation and are waiting in the long grass. Worth a cheeky tenner perhaps?

To have any chance against Kilkenny our defence will have to be as good as Tipp were and our forwards will have to better than Tipp done yesterday. A big ask, if our full back does his party piece in this game well Kilkenny will win comfortably.
    This is a chance to give us only our second win against the Cats in in championship history. Isn't that hard to believe. We should have bet them in '98 and '04 but there is some gulf in might and did. Hard luck yesterday I think Kilkenny will feel they have a major obstacle out of the way now and certainly will have no fear of Waterford next Saturday. I will be thrilled if we do beat Kilkenny but I won't be too surprised if we loose. I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Excited about next week now, think we have a chance, maybe only a small one but surely KK playing three massive intense games in the last three weeks has to have some impact on their freshness for next week, in their fourth week in a row. KK still rightly favourites but we might shock them. Up the Déise !!

Some buzz around KK last night, the town was packed... Had to laugh the amount of people telling me *definitively* next week's match had been fixed for Thurles, others saying Waterford and more again saying Nowlan Park. Everybody in the dark. Surely the GAA should know there was only a couple of combinations after yesterday and be able to confirm straight after the game last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

The bit of hope for us lies in the fact that KK will naturally have a bit of a come down from all the hype this week and the high of beating Tipp. Also Dublin few with them and then beat them and I don't think they're hugely better than us.

That being said I cant see our lightweight forward line putting the scores up needed to put them away. Terrible wides have been our scourge all year and you just can't do that vs KK.

• Advertisement

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    To have any chance against Kilkenny our defence will have to be as good as Tipp were and our forwards will have to better than Tipp done yesterday. A big ask, if our full back does his party piece in this game well Kilkenny will win comfortably.
    This is a chance to give us only our second win against the Cats in in championship history. Isn't that hard to believe. We should have bet them in '98 and '04 but there is some gulf in might and did. Hard luck yesterday I think Kilkenny will feel they have a major obstacle out of the way now and certainly will have no fear of Waterford next Saturday. I will be thrilled if we do beat Kilkenny but I won't be too surprised if we loose. I live in hope.

The way i see it Waterford are every bit as good as Dublin so yes i would give them a good chance and more crucially they will probably have a wide open space in Thurles with the likes of Jake Dillon to get the goals. If they can turnover possession and get the scores then they are well in it. Maurice Shanahan has the ability to win frees also. There is no way last nights game can be used as a reference point as tbh i cant remember the last time our forwards were able to win clean possession on the forty whereas you have the forwards that have the ability to do so. The Kilkenny forwards haven't clicked so far. They've scored a mere 1 goal in the championship so far and haven't even really looked like getting a goal. Henry might assist them in that regard but Waterford need to bring a savage intensity to the game like nothing before. They need to believe in themselves big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Is the game going to be on a Saturday or Sunday lads?

I'm hoping its a double header in Semple on Sunday. When is it announced? Monday?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I'm hoping its a double header in Semple on Sunday. When is it announced? Monday?

A direct head to head with the Munster final? That would be an interesting idea of the GAAs to say the least.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It'll be a double header in Thurles on Saturday all they need to do is confirm the times. Reckon 5pm and 7pm, the first game Clare v Wexford the second ourselves v Kilkenny.
    deise_girl wrote: »
    A direct head to head with the Munster final? That would be an interesting idea of the GAAs to say the least.. :pac:

Yeah they have had some 'brilliant' ideas in the past of course, but they're never stupid enough to so obviously compromise their ability to make money!! Glad the association is built around those important ideals :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

robopaddy wrote: »
    I know its the wrong thing to say but I have to say it what a pity we dont have mullane next weekend I think we could take them if we did unfortunately I just can't see us racking up enough scores against that defence

I agree if Mullane was still around Waterford would be in with a much better shout but he's not so not much point talking about him! While the backs and midfielders are a fairly solid unit the forwards are very much in transition and I don't expect them to rack up too many scores against KK which I think will end up being the difference. Hope I'm wrong but just don't think we'll get enough on the board unless we have very few wides and KK have a good few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Well, Kilkenny it is then..

What a topsy turvy year, who could have predicted Tipp & KK both in the qualifiers, let alone one's summer over before the business end of the Liam McCarthy begins. Kilkenny vulnerable, in my opinion, at least compared to the lofty standards set by KK over the last decade or more, and can only hope we can take it to them.

I think we will be expecting a lot of our players to step up, but one thing is for sure, if we don't have enough to give KK a serious game, we have no place going any further in this championship. Here's hoping this team can click in a way we've all been waiting for.

No chance of Mullane togging out on Saturday ? :D

Well, Kilkenny it is then..

What a topsy turvy year, who could have predicted Tipp & KK both in the qualifiers, let alone one's summer over before the business end of the Liam McCarthy begins. Kilkenny vulnerable, in my opinion, at least compared to the lofty standards set by KK over the last decade or more, and can only hope we can take it to them.

I think we will be expecting a lot of our players to step up, but one thing is for sure, if we don't have enough to give KK a serious game, we have no place going any further in this championship. Here's hoping this team can click in a way we've all been waiting for.

No chance of Mullane togging out on Saturday ? :D

Its a pity he couldnt be at least named on the bench to get a stir from the crowd. More of a psychological boost then anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'd be giving Waterford a chance here, any handicap more than 8 points and I'm backing them.

Confirmed as a double header Saturday in Thurles with Clare/Wex at 5pm and us at 7pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Deise girl, i'm guessing your source is on the money they usually are. Lovely i can make it so for Thurles.

I'ld say we have a chance. KK may be a bit spent after the hype of Saturday but if we don't play smart hurling, we'll have no hope. High balls into KK half backs will have to be non existent to start.

Was at Leinster Final today. Whoever wins on Saturday will really want to play Galway, they seemed to be aimless for most of the match. As for Dublin, they will be a battle for anyone in the SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bressi

Tough on Waterford supporters travelling to limerick on Sunday to support minors and travelling to Thurles sat at 7.00.

could we organise a campsite/singsong for the nite forecast great.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

chinguetti wrote: »
    Deise girl, i'm guessing your source is on the money they usually are.
    She knows too much! GET HER!!

chinguetti wrote: »
    Deise girl, i'm guessing your source is on the money they usually are. Lovely i can make it so for Thurles..
    Haha, thanks! Honestly Im just on twitter 24/7 and follow a couple of accounts that tweet the info! Information just seems to be put onto twitter before anything else these days

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/353939198983671810
    Chinpool wrote: »
    She knows too much! GET HER!!
    And maybe Im just magic too :D

deise_girl wrote: »
    And maybe Im just magic too :D

SHES A WITCH! GET HER!!

Chinpool wrote: »
    SHES A WITCH! GET HER!!

And James Owens is the ref! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

bressi wrote: »
    Tough on Waterford supporters travelling to limerick on Sunday to support minors and travelling to Thurles sat at 7.00.

could we organise a campsite/singsong for the nite forecast great.

Nothing tough about still having the opportunity to support your team at all 3 grades in the summer, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

not on tv next weekend as of yet. I think TV3 might show it. theres 4 football qulifers on that day too with Louth vs Kildare/Cavan vs Fermanagh maybe on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Any news about how the tickets will sell? Buy on the day, or can people buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Happy enough with James Owens ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I think TV3 might show it.

thats it im definetly going now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Any idea if they're doing assigned seating for the double header on saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Any idea if they're doing assigned seating for the double header on saturday?

Tickets are unreserved according to Tickets.ie which went on sale today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

spacetrap wrote: »
    Tickets are unreserved according to Tickets.ie which went on sale today

Cool, thanks for that. I had a look earlier but the tickets weren't up yet. Now to decide which stand to go for!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    not on tv next weekend as of yet. I think TV3 might show it. theres 4 football qulifers on that day too with Louth vs Kildare/Cavan vs Fermanagh maybe on tv

Yea they have it haha https://twitter.com/HSwaterford/status/354204040961327105

• Advertisement

At least its being shown

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement