Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The match is going to be on TV3. At the very least you'll know what club each player is from. "Caught by Stephen O'Keeffe from Ballygunner. He handpasses to Noel Connors from Passage . . . "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deiseach wrote: »
    The match is going to be on TV3. At the very least you'll know what club each player is from. "Caught by Stephen O'Keeffe from Ballygunner. He handpasses to Noel Connors from Passage . . . "

Tis like listening to the radio so! Except I doubt the tv3 commentators will be wishing the players' mothers well in the stand :pac:

Nor will we be hearing how the coverage is sponsored by Fitzgeralds life and pensions, the quay, Waterford which has to be the longest sponsorship title I've ever heard! Mind you, all the one I'll be at the game.

Looking forward to it, sickened to miss the last two. You can blame me as the bad luck charm if we lose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Looking forward to it, sickened to miss the last two. You can blame me as the bad luck charm if we lose :o

Mountainlad, deiseach and KevIRL - the Holy Trinity of Bad Luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bressi

Waterford 11/2 for Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭iseegirls

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for that. I had a look earlier but the tickets weren't up yet. Now to decide which stand to go for!

More like which stand is better not to be facing into the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

bressi wrote: »
    Waterford 11/2 for Sat

Long odds but hard to argue with it if your being honest.

At least after Saturday evening we'll pretty much know where we stand. The game against Clare we know we underperformed, and we won well against Offaly and Westmeath but people will always say we should be beating them anyway.

Someone saying here yesterday that we are on a par with Dublin so we must have a great chance against KK. I dont think too many teams will be on a par with the Dublin side that produced that performance yesterday. It was evidence that KK being beaten wasnt necessarily that KK are vulnerable more like they came up against a serious Dublin outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

robopaddy wrote: »
    At least after Saturday evening we'll pretty much know where we stand. The game against Clare we know we underperformed, and we won well against Offaly and Westmeath but people will always say we should be beating them anyway.

We know where we stand anyway to be honest. We're off the pace in the forward department this year and that's the only glaring issue we have. Goals will be needed if we're to be there or thereabouts come the last few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Cannot wait for Saturday evening. I genuinely think this is our best chance to beat KK, assuming we haven't picked up any injuries. We have a lot going for us in terms of being 'in the long grass' after two weeks off, the KK injuries and the huge effort they put into winning against Tipp. There is nothing to lose and hopefully we will give it a right go and leave nothing behind us. I doubt whether we have enough in the forwards to get the win but hopefully I will be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Shane Walsh still out?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Go up and have a crack at them anyway.Very hard to see anyone beating this KK team the way their going. We're possibly lacking 2 match winning forwards to have a genuine chance of winning this game. Maybe in a few years as the younger players coming through fill out and step up to senior we will be better at winning ball in the air and have more options in the forwards to pop up and score. The wide count has been an issue this year and will have to be looked at between now and sat. Would be nice if our fellow clare and wexford friends give us their support after their game as we'll need all the support we can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

I don't know if any Waterford Boardsies were at the match but if anybody knows the guy who ran on the pitch at HT and started decimating the children of Galway with some of the worst footballing skills I've seen in years please tell him thanks for the entertainment. Hilarious stuff and lifted the mood before the mood plummeted.

Your free-taker was excellent.

We saw that guy too, heard after the game he's one of the best footballers in Waterford... that's all they missing, a poacher in front of the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

If we can put in a big performance all over the pitch i think we have a decent chance. It will be fairly close and I dont see kilkenny running away with it. I think those days are over and they are bound to be a bit tired after the last few weeks. if we can keep it tit for tat coming into the last 10-15 mins, that extra fitness might tell in our favour. Waterford by 2 points.at least i hope so anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

doz wrote: »
    We have a lot going for us in terms of being 'in the long grass' after two weeks off

I work in KK, so I'm really hoping we win this one. I also love that phrase, and one of the bonuses of winning would be that I'd get to say it all day when chatting to people on Monday!

Can't remember which sports programme or radio station it was, but I heard a clip where they had one guy multiple times? or multiple guys? - don't know which - saying that phrase in various interviews: "Leithrum were difinitly waiting in de long grass for Galway!" and "Limrick were certenleh dere all de time, waiting in de long grass...". Must say it was a very funny clip... sort of like those ones they occasionally do about soccer players saying "at the end of the day". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

WumBuster wrote: »
    If we can put in a big performance all over the pitch i think we have a decent chance. It will be fairly close and I dont see kilkenny running away with it. I think those days are over and they are bound to be a bit tired after the last few weeks. if we can keep it tit for tat coming into the last 10-15 mins, that extra fitness might tell in our favour. Waterford by 2 points.at least i hope so anyway!
    I agree with this, if we can keep KK from scoring early goals and keep the score line tight, we have a chance. So far this year KK have not scored too many goals but maybe Shefflin will improve this. In the past games against KK the early goals have dented our confidence and drove KK on. This Waterford team in two games in the league pulled of two really good results in tight games (Cork and Tipp) in the league. So....keep the wide count down play like they did in the first half against Clare and the second half against Westmeath...and you never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Kilkenny haven't been this vulnerable for 15 years. There is talk of dissent in the camp which would have been laughable under Cody previously. They have subbed players in the first half of their last few matches and subbed a sub last Saturday. One goal so far this championship and Henry would not have been introduced only they still hadn't put away a misfiring Tipperay in what was a home match for Kilkenny. For a traditional hurling power you would also have to wonder what the hell Tipp were doing firing high balls into the best fielding defence I have ever seen.

Unfortunately Waterford are at a low ebb in our transition. It is a pity that we don't have Molumphy and Mullane and injury has meant Shane Walsh and O'Halloran have hardly any hurling done even if they regain fitness. At 11/2 I think the bookies have called this one right.

In our favour Cody will spend the week warning his players about complacency but after two tough encounters with Dublin and staring into the ultimate abyss for the Cats, being turfed out by Tipp in Nowlan Park, it is absolutely inevitable that Kilkenny players will blow a sigh of relief and come down a couple of notches. On what will be a hot steamy night I can't see Kilkennys veterans relishing running around after, mainly, younger forwards and they will be hoping / expecting another phony war like 2009 when they took an early lead and both teams settled into a pattern where Kilkenny were content to stay comfortably ahead and Waterford were content not to get hammered. Kilkenny will try and establish that pattern again on Saturday so we need to be up for it from the first ball. If we can keep Ritchie Hogan and Walter Walsh quiet, Kilkenny are strangely struggling to score from play. After that it is absolutely crucial to give balls into the forwards that they can chase and not love bomb the Kilkenny defence.

Considering we were well beaten by Clare who were well beaten by an injury-hit relegated Cork team we have no right to have any hope really but my one wish for the night is that we go out and give it a lash. We need to play without fear (easy for me to say from the stands!). It is no disgrace to lose to this Kilkenny team but, for God's sake, come out fighting and we might, just might, achieve one of the results of the last decade.

One thing we have to try avoid is giving away stupid frees (especially since theyre good enough at drawing & winning them without any help)
    Larkins frees have kept KK in this championship so far

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

If Waterford finish the job that Dublin started it would be near impossible to call who will go on to the All-Ireland final. When was the last time Waterford have beaten Kilkenny in a Championship match?

If Waterford finish the job that Dublin started it would be near impossible to call who will go on to the All-Ireland final. When was the last time Waterford have beaten Kilkenny in a Championship match?
    59 :o

Should have been 98 too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Chinpool wrote: »
    59 :o

Should have been 98 too :mad:

Possibly 2004 too....stupid soft goals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

We didn't win, end of story. You would think that KK had no wides or missed chances in these games, and had all the luck. We got bet and the end result is what matters. We were not good enough as if we were we would have done the business. Same sat evening. Cant believe some are dismissing KK. Dublins win just shows they were not as weak as some claim. They put away Tipp and I think they will be stronger for that if anything. My major worry would be that they are due goals, and they may not stop at 1 or 2 if they get going. Of course we have a chance but need a lot of things to go right for us

• Advertisement

I think you can forget about out-foxing KK tactically. Never going to happen. Whatever way you want to play them they'll adapt to it.

Obviously you need to be smart about it and not let them play to their strengths like reigning high balls down on their half back line, but they'll have us well-sussed out too and will no doubt have a big plan for Brick. If they stop his supply of ball into the forwards they know they'll be half-way there. The best you can hope for is to match them early on, dig in the heels, match their intensity and if the game is still in the melting pot well into the second half you never know.

There is no doubt we have a chance. There is bound to be some fatigue and the injuries theyve had of late are bound to take its toll. Shefflin cant be match fit if were lead to believe that the first time he picked up a hurl since last September was the previous Monday. Also Michael Fennelly and TJ Reid cant be 100% even if they do play. They are only human at the end of the day.

The big question from their point of view is was Saturdays performance the night they clicked and are now back on track? Or was it a performance they managed to dig out and play above themselves to avenge for the previous week. We will find out Saturday night. Either way we need to beat our sharpest and certainly step up a level from what weve been performing to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Any word on when a team will be announced, we've named on Tuesday night for last 3 games from memory?

I would imagine Paudie Prendergast and Nagle will be back in from Westmeath game and maybe Shane Walsh if fit, likely that Ray Barry and Richie Foley will make way and possibly Paudie Mahony also. Hard to see any other changes being made unless something unbelievable has been happening in training.

Id give the Decie a real chance in this. They have a gorilla to get off the back and no better time then Saturday night to get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Have you voted. Its not often a Waterford player gets the chance to be the footballer of the week.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.512566052146476.1073741864.233111003425317&type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Beating them would kind of remind me of this :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdeF8eg8bIU

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

DeiseX wrote: »
    Possibly 2004 too....stupid soft goals!!

In fairness giving 19 yr old goalie his champonship start was suicide. What else was to be expected.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    In fairness giving 19 yr old goalie his champonship start was suicide. What else was to be expected.

But i can remember the KK backs mopping up that game and the Decie relying heavily on Flynn for scores. Dan Shanahan who was on fire that championship was very poor. Perhaps the 2 games v Clare and that game v Galway where KK destroyed them actually helped them

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Mr Tibbs wrote: »

Bravest call I had seen from Justin actually. Suicide was persisting with a keeper whose confidence was clearly shattered at that point, which is all water under the bridge at this point..

All eyes towards saturday now, and feel the game ahead to be one of those turning points for this team, with a victory propelling this team in the way it needs to be propelled, and a loss showing we should perhaps not expect too much from this group of players honours-wise.

The odds are against us, what with missing and injured players, but the bottom line is we need the worm to turn. We need a big performance from these players, and we need management to coax a big performance from this team. Other teams seem to be able to do it, and we need to do it badly. Beat KK on saturday, and the AI would appear to be wide open, with no invulnerable teams remaining.

A very interesting year in any case.. here's to a big performance hopefully Saturday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Probably a stupid question but what counts as a juvenile for Saturday's game? I'm a fair way past that myself and not quite at the age of having one but am bringing a youngster along and need to know.

Cheers lads.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but what counts as a juvenile for Saturday's game? I'm a fair way past that myself and not quite at the age of having one but am bringing a youngster along and need to know.

Cheers lads.

Must be under the age of 16.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement