Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SteamGifts Boards.ie private group (No Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

For me, I don't mind when people win a string of stuff. What kinda bothers me is the people that are clearly in the group to try win as much as they can, without contribution a single key. I know a lot of us are waiting for the steam summer sales (as am I) before getting a few giveaways up, but you can tell who is just chancing their arm. I know you can set a contribution minumal thing, but some don't. They always seem to be picked off. That's my two cents anyway. I'm not bothered at all by someone entering everything,and winning loads of stuff as long as they've actually given something back, or at least plan to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

This will be open until Jun 30, 2013 08:00 pm.

signature.png

Won by NutsPauly.
    Found this as well, this giveaway will also end at Jun 30, 2013 08:00 pm.

signature.png

Won by brainiac.

Don't forget to mark as received, and so on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yeah my opinion would be the same as Mister Man, if a person is winning loads of draws and its just a fluke (which im sure it is) then I dont really have an issue with it. What I would have an issue with is people not giving back at some point and contributing. Equally if people are just entering every draw under the sun its a bit pointless as they will more than likely not even play half the games if they do win them so why just enter for the sake of it.

I only signed up a few weeks back as I got a new PC and back into PC gaming. I dont have a load of games on steam as a result but I dont see the point in entering something I am not going to play, I specifically go look up a trailer or review of games I havent heard of to see if its my thing or not. I've used contribution limits, I gave away Tomb Raider the other day because I already had it on the xbox but the game has a high value and imo only those that make the effort deserved a chance at it. People can build up their contribution value over time and then be eligible, its not a freebie thread after all.

On the whole length of giveaways I have to say I think people should put a minimum of two days on most giveaways to give people a chance to check in when they can. The only exception would be where there is a humble bundle and there are loads of the same game being given away so if you miss a draw you wanted to enter there's a good chance the same game will be up again that week. The only reason people are in favour of short draws is it betters their chances of winning if its only a few hours or a day and people wont notice, in most cases I'm sure those same people are guilty of not contributing much also. If I am putting up a game id much prefer a load of people got a chance to enter and someone is lucky enough to win it rather than i stick it up for a few hours and someone that doesnt even wants it gets it because everyone else didnt get a chance to enter.

If everyone plays fair then everyone ends up happy..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I think all draws should have a minimum of like 10 or $20 contribution limit for each giveaway personally, as theres one or two people there who are winning a fair bit, but haven't given away a single game themselves on the steam gifts website, let alone to the group.

Tinie wrote: »
    I think all draws should have a minimum of like 10 or $20 contribution limit for each giveaway personally, as theres one or two people there who are winning a fair bit, but haven't given away a single game themselves on the steam gifts website, let alone to the group.

That total is easily reachable too, so shouldn't be any complaints. With the Humble Bundles, Indie Game bundles, Amazon Sales, and soon Steam Sales, I could see someone hitting 10 or 20 quid without paying more then a fiver!

• Advertisement

On another note:
    I've a key for Alan Wake gain. I picked up two when they were on the Humble Sale. Said I'd wait a bit until I gave them away, maybe someone doesn't have it? I also have a Walking Dead key spare too. I won one from skerries I believe, but ended up buying it just before the bundle ended to give one away. I'll post that one on Tuesday after these are finished

signature.png

signature.png

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tinie wrote: »

For cheap games, meh I don't care, but when I put up something worth 30 quid or more there'll definitely be a contributor limit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

ionapaul wrote: »
    Two giveaways incoming:

signature.png

signature.png

Quick bump for these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

nesf wrote: »
    For cheap games, meh I don't care, but when I put up something worth 30 quid or more there'll definitely be a contributor limit on it.

I think it's a fair point. It's all well and good saying for cheap games it doesn't matter, but maybe they're cheap games that other contributors would like to get their hands on. Should be a minimum $10 contribution floor for everything in the group, perhaps increasing a fiver a month

A humble bundle or two for a few quid would easily see people reach that in no time at all and it ensures that nobody's unduly leeching. I already feel quite bad for only having 4 giveaways for the group, and I only enter for games I'd like to actually play - it's clear that it's going a bit beyond that for some, entering absolutely everything and contributing nothing. That's just not fair

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

signature.png

Won by fiddy187

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

signature.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

COYVB wrote: »
    I think it's a fair point. It's all well and good saying for cheap games it doesn't matter, but maybe they're cheap games that other contributors would like to get their hands on. Should be a minimum $10 contribution floor for everything in the group, perhaps increasing a fiver a month

I dinno, I think that's up to the person making the giveaway? It's all well and good to say it's not fair to say that people want to get their hands on them, but surely the person giving away the game should make the rules for their game? Many already make it for contributors and many don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Mister Man wrote: »
    That total is easily reachable too, so shouldn't be any complaints. With the Humble Bundles, Indie Game bundles, Amazon Sales, and soon Steam Sales, I could see someone hitting 10 or 20 quid without paying more then a fiver!

they don't give you credit for bundle games so it would have to be individual codes from the big names like Steam, Greenmangaming and Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Skerries wrote: »
    they don't give you credit for bundle games so it would have to be individual codes from the big names like Steam, Greenmangaming and Amazon

They do give credit for bundle games. Bit it's a % of the full price.

Yup they have a giant list of affected games somewhere, the amount given varies, sometimes nothing, sometimes a percentage. But when these bundles start sometimes people pay like a dollar and get like 100 dollars of contribution, then it gets stopped, not really fair imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

ionapaul wrote: »
    Two giveaways incoming:

signature.png

signature.png

Aquaria won by James74 - just sent the steam key, please mark as received after you redeem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

Danger781 wrote: »
    They do give credit for bundle games. Bit it's a % of the full price.

they do up to a point - after you get $30 of bundle contrib bundles will always give 0 contrib

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Yup they have a giant list of affected games somewhere, the amount given varies, sometimes nothing, sometimes a percentage. But when these bundles start sometimes people pay like a dollar and get like 100 dollars of contribution, then it gets stopped, not really fair imo.

You cant, its max $30 contribution for bundle games. Thats why there does be a lot of $30.01 giveaways on the website, which I think is the best thing to do for popular giveaways. But still, at least those people giving away bundle games are giving away something.

Yeah that's true for bundle games, the ones that are annoying I think are some sales items. There was a thread on there asking about how little you have had to pay to get the most contrib and it was crazy, some people had thousands after spending very little. They only really take action when hundreds of people start abusing a game that is found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

signature.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Humble Weekly Bundle to give away - not exactly a million dollar set of games, but they're all fun and some of you mightn't have them yet

Eets Winner - TarAldarion
    Shank Winner - James74
    Shank 2 Winner - AlmightyCushion

I accidentally sent AlmightyCushion the Shank code before realizing and sending him the Shank 2 one. So hopefully he notices that there's 2 emails and doesn't activate the wrong one first. If he does, if James74 would be okay with it, I would simply propose a swap of games so that the Shank winner gets Shank 2 and vice versa. Sorry for the confusion. I done gone goofed

*edit*

All sorted thanks to some lightening fast email responsiveness from AlmightyCushion making my life easier!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eets Winner - TarAldarion
    Shank Winner - James74
    Shank 2 Winner - AlmightyCushion

I accidentally sent AlmightyCushion the Shank code before realizing and sending him the Shank 2 one. So hopefully he notices that there's 2 emails and doesn't activate the wrong one first. If he does, if James74 would be okay with it, I would simply propose a swap of games so that the Shank winner gets Shank 2 and vice versa. Sorry for the confusion. I done gone goofed

Don't worry I got the second one. Just activated Shank 2. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Mantel wrote: »
    signature.png

James74 is on a roll today! :) Super Meatboy added to the prize list. Gift sent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Jet Black wrote: »
    Thanks! My first win. I will mark it as received later.

Still waiting on you to mark this as received...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

signature.png

Another quickie, ending at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Mantel wrote: »
    James74 is on a roll today! :) Super Meatboy added to the prize list. Gift sent.

I cannot believe I missed this. Kudos on a quality giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

signature.png

So this is a bit of a weird one. Going through my Humble Bundle page and didn't realise that with the Humble Bundle 3 pack I got a Humble Bundle 2 key that I never bothered claiming, as I already had it. There's some really cool stuff in here - Braid, Machinarium and Osmos are the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Nollog

signature.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Scottius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

homer.gif

Advertisement