Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three to sponsor IRFU

• 24-06-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

well O2 Ireland have been bought out by Three. So by default Three are now our new overloards and I for one welcome them.

(so don't go buying any new Ireland gear for the moment)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

a lot of overlapping..O2 sponsor shannon and 3 UL Bohs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well it's a step in the right direction. Just can't wait til we're sponsored by 4 tbh.

Anyway.. Telefonica have sold it to Three, but I'm not sure if they're dropping the brand? Three will probably use the foot print but to drop the brand would probably damage the footprint itself.

Ah actually apparently they are phasing out the brand, but it'll take over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Not a fan of that cartoony '3' on any jerseys I've seen it on. Hope they come up with something else for the national rugby kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is a horribly elitist thing to say, but I want a different sponsor to the soccer team.

Not a fan of that cartoony '3' on any jerseys I've seen it on. Hope they come up with something else for the national rugby kit.

They won't change their branding, for anything.

We won't see it for another 2 years anyway, and the sponsorship deal may change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

.ak wrote: »
    but I'm not sure if they're dropping the brand?

From what I have read they will be dropping the brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lol, no point trying to argue against snobbery in Rugby anymore. I suppose the Coca-Cola brand would be too messy for you as well?

I thought at first AIG's new brand was a special just for NZ rugby to get used to carrying a logo once again but I see its a full market launch. Its looks cr*p

Anyway, it could be worse, could be N.A.M.A. on the shirt......

From what I have read they will be dropping the brand.

Yeah RTE reporting they're phasing out the brand over 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Larbre34 wrote: »

what, when the lads have to go through the last quarter of the game topless due to the shirts being repossessed.

Might help bring in a new hen party demographic to our supporter base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The brand is definitely going. You'll probably see it gone in the UK, but there's more money involved there and different companies so that deal is going to take much longer I guess.

They're only buying the Irish branch of Telefonica I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

O2 sponsorship stretches to 2016 past WC, so will be interesting to see what happens then.

Wonder has it happened before that a brand sponsors both national football and rugby teams?

They're only buying the Irish branch of Telefonica I think?

3 are, yeah

Lol, no point trying to argue against snobbery in Rugby anymore. I suppose the Coca-Cola brand would be too messy for you as well?

What are you talking about??? Both Three and O2/Telefonica are massive corporate entities, and neither are Irish. I personally wouldn't like the Coca Cola brand on the strip either. I would like something simpler.

You have a great imagination though, to the extent that I don't even know what you're getting at. So... well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Well it's a step in the right direction. Just can't wait til we're sponsored by 4 tbh.

+1 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah RTE reporting they're phasing out the brand over 2 years.

What's the O2 going to be called? The 3?

Commercial naming rights gone mad.... </angry rant mode>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I just wish that whoever takes over from Puma tries to buy out exclusive shirt rights.

One can dream!

What are you talking about??? Both O2 and Telefonica are massive corporate entities, and neither are Irish. I personally wouldn't like the Coca Cola brand on the strip either. I would like something simpler.

You have a great imagination though, to the extent that I don't even know what you're getting at. So... well done.

What I'm getting at is that the '3' logo isnt good enough for your precious rugby shirt, you're being a snob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Three network seems to be down at the moment, is this a coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

What I'm getting at is that the '3' logo isnt good enough for your precious rugby shirt, you're being a snob.

I took it that he doesn't like the look of the logo on the jersey. I don't either. Nothing to do with being a 'snob.' I just don't think it looks nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

3's network went down today.

Hope its not an omen for the International team. :(

Couldn't care less what the sponsorship looks like on a jersey, so long as it's black and/or white.

who_me wrote: »
    What's the O2 going to be called? The 3?

Commercial naming rights gone mad.... </angry rant mode>

O2+3 + O5?

You could see this coming down the tracks for the last few years, venues with naming rights on them changing hands and causing confusion, the Aussies are the worst for it (Lions test venues in Sydney and Melbourne have had 3 and 4 separate names respectively)

I hate it too and would always refer to Lansdowne Road, The Point, The Grand Canal Theatre etc etc. I was most impressed when the Munster faithful stamped out any notion of naming rights on Thomond Park, and the lack of it hasnt hurt them at all.

O2+3 + O5?

You could see this coming down the tracks for the last few years, venues with naming rights on them changing hands and causing confusion, the Aussies are the worst for it (Lions test venues in Sydney and Melbourne have had 3 and 4 separate names respectively)

I hate it too and would always refer to Lansdowne Road, The Point, The Grand Canal Theatre etc etc. I was most impressed when the Munster faithful stamped out any notion of naming rights on Thomond Park, and the lack of it hasnt hurt them at all.

Ehm.... Hate to break it to ya, but Munster are in serious financial issues over Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Couldn't care less what the sponsorship looks like on a jersey, so long as it's black and/or white.

... and doesn't say "O2 Money" across the belly...

O2+3 + O5?

Debatable given Munster's current financial position.

Risteard wrote: »
    I took it that he doesn't like the look of the logo on the jersey. I don't either. Nothing to do with being a 'snob.' I just don't think it looks nice.

To suggest something nicer is needed for the national rugby kit is snobbish, it implies its good enough for other codes.

• Advertisement

To suggest something nicer is needed for the national rugby kit is snobbish, it implies its good enough for other codes.

No it's simply saying that you don't like the look of the logo. Has nothing to do with other codes or even the company itself.

I don't think it looks nice on the soccer jersey either, but I don't follow soccer so wouldn't see it as much.

Ehm.... Hate to break it to ya, but Munster are in serious financial issues over Thomond.[/QUOTE

Yes but the naming rights as proposed at the time wouldnt have solved where they are now, plenty of other factors. Difficult as things are at least they didnt sell their souls

Ehm.... Hate to break it to ya, but Munster are in serious financial issues over Thomond.

Yes but the naming rights as proposed at the time wouldnt have solved where they are now, plenty of other factors. Difficult as things are at least they didnt sell their souls

I dunno, I don't think there's such a thing as taking the moral high ground regarding sponsorship.

People can give out all they want about Aviva, for example, but at the end of the day if they want to pump a load of money into the sport we love then fair fecks to them, let them call it Aviva's Amazing Candy Coated Circus for all I care.

Would have definitely eased it though. At the time of building the new Thomond Park, Munster were one of, if not the most marketable rugby club in Europe and as such would have commanded a high price for the naming rights.

Locking a company into a long term contract would have been a big boost to the coffers. Even selling naming rights for both stands would have helped, it's not like there's an emotional attachment to the names East and West stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

So will The O2 (The Point) become "The 3"

You're ridiculous. You're not even making any sense.

a) I didn't say 'good enough'. I said it looks 'cartoony'. How that translates into being snobby, I don't know. Do snobs hate cartoons? :confused:

b) You just sound weirdly insecure. I didn't even mention other codes. I was looking at some of these images https://www.google.ie/search?q=ul+bohs&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ejXIUfPZEcnC7Abo_YGwAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1373&bih=718.

If it makes you feel any better I don't think the Three logo looks nice on the national football kit either. Given that this is the rugby forum, and that the football team is not being discussed here, I didn't really think that was relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 3 logo on the football kits is stinkin' looking. No thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

awec wrote: »
    The 3 logo on the football kits is stinkin' looking. No thank you.

Yeah, not a fan of how it will look.

MEAMqwZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

B0X wrote: »

MEAMqwZ.jpg

Surely a team of Mike Ross' will strike fear into the heart of even the All Blacks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

MEAMqwZ.jpg

At least Mike Ross will look good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Christ.

• Advertisement

Really took me a minute to realize there was any difference tbh. It's just another white blip in a different shape now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

I'm not mad on it but I honestly don't think it looks any worse than O2 on the jerseys

It's not as bad as I imagined it would look actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

By the way guys the sponsorship change will be one of the first things to happen when 3 take over O2. They ate phasing out the O2 brand over two years from now. They can't do anything for 6 months but once that time is up and competition authority gives the go agead they won't be investing in O2 brand building as it would be pointless so the sponsorships will change immediately.

My only worry would be 3 are now the biggest player in Irish sport sponsorship, what happens of they decide to do a Vodafone and scale back on sport sponsorship? Irish sport could be goosed, you could have international soccer and rugby, UL Bohs, Shannon, Waterford GAA, Waterford Soccer team all looking for sponsorship add this to alcohol sponsorship frowned upon and there may not be enough money to cover all if they where to come free at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The white specs all over the jersey between the sponsor, crest and puma logo makes the pic above makes it look crappy.

Looks good on some jerseys :D

waterford_home_1027803final.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MEAMqwZ.jpg

They aren't going to retro fit it onto a current jersey though are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Between 3 phasing out the O2 brand(which they will do as soon as they're legally allowed) and Puma doing a hop skip and jump out of Ireland, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with after the 6N...

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Between 3 phasing out the O2 brand(which they will do as soon as they're legally allowed) and Puma doing a hop skip and jump out of Ireland, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with after the 6N...

When Joe wins us a grand slam people will be queuing up with their bank details for us

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ColmH81 wrote: »
    I believe there's quite a few debenture tickets for Lansdowne, dating back to continuations of the 1983 drive to build the East Stand, which ran out at the end of this years 6N and have not been renewed. Interesting times ahead for the finance heads in the IRFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

When Joe wins us a grand slam people will be queuing up with their bank details for us

I think we should wait until we have the back-to-back-to-back grand slams and the world cup before signing an undervalued deal. Green crew tshirts from Penneys until then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement