Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three to sponsor IRFU

Options
  • 24-06-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

well O2 Ireland have been bought out by Three. So by default Three are now our new overloards and I for one welcome them.

(so don't go buying any new Ireland gear for the moment)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

a lot of overlapping..O2 sponsor shannon and 3 UL Bohs

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well it's a step in the right direction. Just can't wait til we're sponsored by 4 tbh.

Anyway.. Telefonica have sold it to Three, but I'm not sure if they're dropping the brand? Three will probably use the foot print but to drop the brand would probably damage the footprint itself.

Ah actually apparently they are phasing out the brand, but it'll take over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Not a fan of that cartoony '3' on any jerseys I've seen it on. Hope they come up with something else for the national rugby kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is a horribly elitist thing to say, but I want a different sponsor to the soccer team.

Not a fan of that cartoony '3' on any jerseys I've seen it on. Hope they come up with something else for the national rugby kit.

They won't change their branding, for anything.

We won't see it for another 2 years anyway, and the sponsorship deal may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

.ak wrote: »
    but I'm not sure if they're dropping the brand?

From what I have read they will be dropping the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lol, no point trying to argue against snobbery in Rugby anymore. I suppose the Coca-Cola brand would be too messy for you as well?

I thought at first AIG's new brand was a special just for NZ rugby to get used to carrying a logo once again but I see its a full market launch. Its looks cr*p

Anyway, it could be worse, could be N.A.M.A. on the shirt......

From what I have read they will be dropping the brand.

Yeah RTE reporting they're phasing out the brand over 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Larbre34 wrote: »

what, when the lads have to go through the last quarter of the game topless due to the shirts being repossessed.

Might help bring in a new hen party demographic to our supporter base

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The brand is definitely going. You'll probably see it gone in the UK, but there's more money involved there and different companies so that deal is going to take much longer I guess.

They're only buying the Irish branch of Telefonica I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

O2 sponsorship stretches to 2016 past WC, so will be interesting to see what happens then.

Wonder has it happened before that a brand sponsors both national football and rugby teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They're only buying the Irish branch of Telefonica I think?

3 are, yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Lol, no point trying to argue against snobbery in Rugby anymore. I suppose the Coca-Cola brand would be too messy for you as well?

What are you talking about??? Both Three and O2/Telefonica are massive corporate entities, and neither are Irish. I personally wouldn't like the Coca Cola brand on the strip either. I would like something simpler.

You have a great imagination though, to the extent that I don't even know what you're getting at. So... well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Well it's a step in the right direction. Just can't wait til we're sponsored by 4 tbh.

+1 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah RTE reporting they're phasing out the brand over 2 years.

What's the O2 going to be called? The 3?

Commercial naming rights gone mad.... </angry rant mode>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I just wish that whoever takes over from Puma tries to buy out exclusive shirt rights.

One can dream!

What are you talking about??? Both O2 and Telefonica are massive corporate entities, and neither are Irish. I personally wouldn't like the Coca Cola brand on the strip either. I would like something simpler.

You have a great imagination though, to the extent that I don't even know what you're getting at. So... well done.

What I'm getting at is that the '3' logo isnt good enough for your precious rugby shirt, you're being a snob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Three network seems to be down at the moment, is this a coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

What I'm getting at is that the '3' logo isnt good enough for your precious rugby shirt, you're being a snob.

I took it that he doesn't like the look of the logo on the jersey. I don't either. Nothing to do with being a 'snob.' I just don't think it looks nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

3's network went down today.

Hope its not an omen for the International team. :(

Couldn't care less what the sponsorship looks like on a jersey, so long as it's black and/or white.

who_me wrote: »
    What's the O2 going to be called? The 3?

Commercial naming rights gone mad.... </angry rant mode>

O2+3 + O5?

You could see this coming down the tracks for the last few years, venues with naming rights on them changing hands and causing confusion, the Aussies are the worst for it (Lions test venues in Sydney and Melbourne have had 3 and 4 separate names respectively)

I hate it too and would always refer to Lansdowne Road, The Point, The Grand Canal Theatre etc etc. I was most impressed when the Munster faithful stamped out any notion of naming rights on Thomond Park, and the lack of it hasnt hurt them at all.

O2+3 + O5?

You could see this coming down the tracks for the last few years, venues with naming rights on them changing hands and causing confusion, the Aussies are the worst for it (Lions test venues in Sydney and Melbourne have had 3 and 4 separate names respectively)

I hate it too and would always refer to Lansdowne Road, The Point, The Grand Canal Theatre etc etc. I was most impressed when the Munster faithful stamped out any notion of naming rights on Thomond Park, and the lack of it hasnt hurt them at all.

Ehm.... Hate to break it to ya, but Munster are in serious financial issues over Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Couldn't care less what the sponsorship looks like on a jersey, so long as it's black and/or white.

... and doesn't say "O2 Money" across the belly...

O2+3 + O5?

Debatable given Munster's current financial position.

Risteard wrote: »
    I took it that he doesn't like the look of the logo on the jersey. I don't either. Nothing to do with being a 'snob.' I just don't think it looks nice.

To suggest something nicer is needed for the national rugby kit is snobbish, it implies its good enough for other codes.

• Advertisement

To suggest something nicer is needed for the national rugby kit is snobbish, it implies its good enough for other codes.

No it's simply saying that you don't like the look of the logo. Has nothing to do with other codes or even the company itself.

I don't think it looks nice on the soccer jersey either, but I don't follow soccer so wouldn't see it as much.

Advertisement