Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three to sponsor IRFU

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

.ak wrote: »
    Ehm.... Hate to break it to ya, but Munster are in serious financial issues over Thomond.[/QUOTE

Yes but the naming rights as proposed at the time wouldnt have solved where they are now, plenty of other factors. Difficult as things are at least they didnt sell their souls

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Larbre34 wrote: »
    .ak wrote: »
    Ehm.... Hate to break it to ya, but Munster are in serious financial issues over Thomond.

Yes but the naming rights as proposed at the time wouldnt have solved where they are now, plenty of other factors. Difficult as things are at least they didnt sell their souls

I dunno, I don't think there's such a thing as taking the moral high ground regarding sponsorship.

People can give out all they want about Aviva, for example, but at the end of the day if they want to pump a load of money into the sport we love then fair fecks to them, let them call it Aviva's Amazing Candy Coated Circus for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Would have definitely eased it though. At the time of building the new Thomond Park, Munster were one of, if not the most marketable rugby club in Europe and as such would have commanded a high price for the naming rights.

Locking a company into a long term contract would have been a big boost to the coffers. Even selling naming rights for both stands would have helped, it's not like there's an emotional attachment to the names East and West stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

So will The O2 (The Point) become "The 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

What I'm getting at is that the '3' logo isnt good enough for your precious rugby shirt, you're being a snob.
    To suggest something nicer is needed for the national rugby kit is snobbish, it implies its good enough for other codes.

You're ridiculous. You're not even making any sense.

a) I didn't say 'good enough'. I said it looks 'cartoony'. How that translates into being snobby, I don't know. Do snobs hate cartoons? :confused:

b) You just sound weirdly insecure. I didn't even mention other codes. I was looking at some of these images https://www.google.ie/search?q=ul+bohs&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ejXIUfPZEcnC7Abo_YGwAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1373&bih=718.

If it makes you feel any better I don't think the Three logo looks nice on the national football kit either. Given that this is the rugby forum, and that the football team is not being discussed here, I didn't really think that was relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 3 logo on the football kits is stinkin' looking. No thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

awec wrote: »
    The 3 logo on the football kits is stinkin' looking. No thank you.

Yeah, not a fan of how it will look.

MEAMqwZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

B0X wrote: »

MEAMqwZ.jpg

Surely a team of Mike Ross' will strike fear into the heart of even the All Blacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

MEAMqwZ.jpg

At least Mike Ross will look good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Really took me a minute to realize there was any difference tbh. It's just another white blip in a different shape now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

I'm not mad on it but I honestly don't think it looks any worse than O2 on the jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

It's not as bad as I imagined it would look actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

By the way guys the sponsorship change will be one of the first things to happen when 3 take over O2. They ate phasing out the O2 brand over two years from now. They can't do anything for 6 months but once that time is up and competition authority gives the go agead they won't be investing in O2 brand building as it would be pointless so the sponsorships will change immediately.

My only worry would be 3 are now the biggest player in Irish sport sponsorship, what happens of they decide to do a Vodafone and scale back on sport sponsorship? Irish sport could be goosed, you could have international soccer and rugby, UL Bohs, Shannon, Waterford GAA, Waterford Soccer team all looking for sponsorship add this to alcohol sponsorship frowned upon and there may not be enough money to cover all if they where to come free at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The white specs all over the jersey between the sponsor, crest and puma logo makes the pic above makes it look crappy.

Looks good on some jerseys :D

waterford_home_1027803final.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MEAMqwZ.jpg

They aren't going to retro fit it onto a current jersey though are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Between 3 phasing out the O2 brand(which they will do as soon as they're legally allowed) and Puma doing a hop skip and jump out of Ireland, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with after the 6N...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Between 3 phasing out the O2 brand(which they will do as soon as they're legally allowed) and Puma doing a hop skip and jump out of Ireland, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with after the 6N...

When Joe wins us a grand slam people will be queuing up with their bank details for us

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ColmH81 wrote: »
    I believe there's quite a few debenture tickets for Lansdowne, dating back to continuations of the 1983 drive to build the East Stand, which ran out at the end of this years 6N and have not been renewed. Interesting times ahead for the finance heads in the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

When Joe wins us a grand slam people will be queuing up with their bank details for us

I think we should wait until we have the back-to-back-to-back grand slams and the world cup before signing an undervalued deal. Green crew tshirts from Penneys until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

tolosenc wrote: »
    I think we should wait until we have the back-to-back-to-back grand slams and the world cup before signing an undervalued deal. Green crew tshirts from Penneys until then.

Thats what I told my tag team.

Advertisement