Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biased refs

Options
  • 23-06-2013 6:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

There has been major uproar over the refereeing performance in the SHC qualifier on Saturday that took place between Offaly and Waterford. In the course of the game the referee in question awarded for all to witness, numerous baffling decisions to his neighboring county Offaly against the Deise men, who in their own fortune and in spite of this, came out on top in the closely contested game.
    Its crazy that a ref could be biased like that in an intercounty senior hurling match. Id understand a ref giving a free for a team 10 pts down against Kilkenny but what went on today in a match against two evenly matched teams was ridiculous. The ref is supposed to be impartial, this needs to be looked at seriously by the powers that be. This cant go on in the GAA, its too common.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eire 2012

You get used to it if your from kilkenny most days they are a few points down before the ball is thrown in.The margin only varies by who is in the middle last nights refs county man being the worst offender.A few frees can be overcome most of the time but the lack of protection for kilkenny players is a joke at this stage it's fair game now to break up kilkenny players in the knowledge that you will be unlikely to receive a booking.There is plenty of examples in the last year for all to see .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

eire 2012 wrote: »
    You get used to it if your from kilkenny most days they are a few points down before the ball is thrown in.The margin only varies by who is in the middle last nights refs county man being the worst offender.A few frees can be overcome most of the time but the lack of protection for kilkenny players is a joke at this stage it's fair game now to break up kilkenny players in the knowledge that you will be unlikely to receive a booking.There is plenty of examples in the last year for all to see .

you're kidding, right?
    Kilkenny players get away with stuff no other county team get away with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

There is plenty of examples in the last year for all to see .
    Name some examples so. Five say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    you're kidding, right?
    Kilkenny players get away with stuff no other county team get away with

Everything he said was correct. It's incredibly difficult for an opposition player to be sent off against Kilkenny. If Kilkenny players took the same approach as several players and teams have against them over the last couple of years, there would be absolute uproar both on sites like this and in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This is gonna last.....

Didn't see the game last night so won't comment directly. IMO bad refereeing is more incompetence than bias although I have seen refs getting a set against individual players and teams at club level. Refs sometimes ate conditioned to expect and sometimes achieve a certain result. When teams in connacht play London refs and umpires etc normally fly over with the team so you can expect them to be conditioned to a certain result. Likewise today it's in very few people's interests for London to beat leitrim so expect the officials to be very aware of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Are you joking? Major uproar, I heard much lower than normal abuse. That's coming from someone who is from neither county. I think James had a fine game, he took direction from his lines man and clearly pointed out when he took there advice.

I would say that a lot of this stems from people not knowing the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I know James personally and I can assure you that there is no chance whatsoever that he would ever deliberately favour one team over another regardless of geographical location or any other perceived connection to a particular side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Its far more likely that someone from Westmeath would want to stop Offaly from winning rather than help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Its far more likely that someone from Westmeath would want to stop Offaly from winning rather than help them.

I think that is more of a South Westmeath football thing
    James McGrath is from hurling country in north Westmeath, where there is far more animosity towards Meath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I think he's as much useless as biased. But when you put a useless ref in change of a game where one of the counties has recently reported his uselessness you're asking for a sh*tstorm to develop!

• Advertisement

You must not have seen many matches last year so but here goes
    Most recent
    Richie hogan pulled across head and hand in one movement against Offaly yellow given fair enough but hogan himself sent off for similar against limerick last year.
    Tj Reids hand pulled across by the same player no where near the ball no free would have been given only Reid stopped playing himself,no second yellow either even though it could have been straight red
    Three incidents in all Ireland replay one red for donnelan hitting jj across the head so if that was red tannion hitting power across the head should have been red too only that was in the first half when galway were still in it no point ruining their chance of an upset by reffing to the rule book
    Then tannion pulls across Reid breaking his kneecap in the second half
    Then the famous semi final padraic maher could have killed half the kilkenny team that day and not been sent off
    Wild one handed swing way above the ball
    Smashed power in the side of the head/neck
    Pulled across tj Reid in front of the ref with the game over as a contest and only a yellow given.
    If kilkenny players carried out the above there would be pages of outrage here and in the media but kilkenny are fair game now so things are quiet.
    The media and biased Sunday game analysts have achieved what they wanted and got into the heads of the referees. The same rule book for both is all that's required not a mentality that I better watched kilkenny closely that's creeping in to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

James Mcgrath is the most incompetent ref that is left on the panel. While Waterford supporters might feel hard done by he just cant help it. Taking advice from a linesman is fairly mute I have done linesman and umpire at matches. An inter county ref instructed me to watch a certain forward, told me he was well known for giving sly digs off the ball. Just before half time the defender absolutely smashed the forward with the hurley for no reason. The ref came in and asked what happened he got told by both of us. He said we must have missed what the forward done as he properly deserved the belt and booked the 2 of them. Needless to say I have refused to go to matches with him ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

The offaly no. 7 (Parlon?) only getting yellow for hitting a man in the head with no intention of going for the ball.

Same man then avoided a 2nd yellow for a wild swing across a players hand

Padraic Maher on Rice

Padraic Maher on TJ (could probably fill this list just with him from that match)

Tannion on TJ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hah, this is funny when I think back to some of the decisions Kilkenny have gotten that have swung All Ireland's in their favour. Most famously it must be the ridiculous penalty with 10 minutes left in the 09 final (I think?) between tipp and themselves when they were behind. The phantom point in last years drawn game final also, which hopefully won't happen again with hawkeye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭celt262

The Ref in the Donegal and Down game was poor today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He did alright in fairness, a few bad decisions but he can't be perfect.

Conditions were terrible too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

The performance of James McGrath in refereeing the Offaly v Waterford match yesterday was nothing but an absolute disgrace. As a waterford man, my oponion is of course going to be biased towards my own county. However, alot of Offaly supporters sitting around me felt the same. He was trying to screw Waterford over. Pure and simple. Some of his decisions were nothing short of baffling. Probably didn't help that he wasn't able to keep up with play. However, he shouldn't have been given the game in the first place.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Hah, this is funny when I think back to some of the decisions Kilkenny have gotten that have swung All Ireland's in their favour. Most famously it must be the ridiculous penalty with 10 minutes left in the 09 final (I think?) between tipp and themselves when they were behind. The phantom point in last years drawn game final also, which hopefully won't happen again with hawkeye

I'm afraid if you look at the 09 final penalty decision you will see why it was given and I'm not saying it wasn't soft it probably was but power was fouled outside area ref gave him an extra step or two then he entered the square where Paul currans hurl came in around his neck which is what the penalty was given for.

Lets not be on about the phantom point your on about what about the free from the phantom foul/ big dive to level it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

celt262 wrote: »
    Completely disagree, he took no crap off the players, moved frees on for the usual clowns moaning about every decision, explained his decisions and reffed with a smile on his face.
    I noticed him in the Dublin Westmeath game a few weeks ago and I was very impressed. Lets the game flow at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'm afraid if you look at the 09 final penalty decision you will see why it was given and I'm not saying it wasn't soft it probably was but power was fouled outside area ref gave him an extra step or two then he entered the square where Paul currans hurl came in around his neck which is what the penalty was given for.

Lets not be on about the phantom point your on about what about the free from the phantom foul/ big dive to level it

about 8 extra steps. was brutal refereeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭celt262

bohsboy wrote: »
    Completely disagree, he took no crap off the players, moved frees on for the usual clowns moaning about every decision, explained his decisions and reffed with a smile on his face.
    I noticed him in the Dublin Westmeath game a few weeks ago and I was very impressed. Lets the game flow at every opportunity.

I would disagree as would the lads doing commentary on BBC, very inconsistent and alot of soft frees went the way of Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I would disagree as would the lads doing commentary on BBC, very inconsistent and alot of soft frees went the way of Donegal.

It's an impossible sport to ref properly with the niggling and cynical fouling going on all over the pitch. Minimal assistance from linesmen and umpires. I liked the way he shut the mouths up with almost every free moved up 13 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 33theman33

How a Westmeath man is allowed ref a senior inter county hurling game is beyond me.

The media and biased Sunday game analysts have achieved what they wanted and got into the heads of the referees. The same rule book for both is all that's required not a mentality that I better watched kilkenny closely that's creeping in to the game.

Good man Donal og you were very good to highlight power holding Kelly's arm in build up to kilkenny goal but you were unable to see a tug on Walter walshs jersey about one second later.Fair play to the Sunday game hi lighting only the arm holding incident no point in an un biased discussion about the match sure Dublin probably didn't commit any such fouls at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Good man Donal og you were very good to highlight power holding Kelly's arm in build up to kilkenny goal but you were unable to see a tug on Walter walshs jersey about one second later.Fair play to the Sunday game hi lighting only the arm holding incident no point in an un biased discussion about the match sure Dublin probably didn't commit any such fouls at all

What would have been the point of highlighting that?
    The interesting part was that the goal was made by a foul missed by the ref.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Totally agree, I thought a deliberate foul was a Yellow Card.

If he had off used this rule, 2 or 3 from both sides would have been giving the line.

Until the referees use the letter of the law, Teams will keep on with this "Tactical" fouling which is a cancer on the game.

robbiezero wrote: »
    What would have been the point of highlighting that?
    The interesting part was that the goal was made by a foul missed by the ref.

Well you know as we'll as I do that there is holding in every hurling match by every single team it's called competing for the ball but the problem is its hi lighted on Sunday game there now as if kilkenny are the only team doing it.Refs could be influenced sub consciously to watch Kk players to see if they are holding opponents when Kk players themselves could be fouled similarly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

33theman33 wrote: »
    How a Westmeath man is allowed ref a senior inter county hurling game is beyond me.

What has being from Westmeath got to do with anything ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Westmeath man shouldn't have been refereeing the Offaly v Waterford game - too close to home county and the fact the winners play his own county. Now, I'm not saying he was or was not biased, but he is wide open, even more so, to those accusations because of those facts. From what I've heard of McGrath's performance, his assessment won't be great.

Big thing the referees need to start pulling is the wild pulling and striking - rulebook says that its a red card offense, but I've heard about a lot of yellow being given out for it instead, which is ridiculous. A strike is a strike, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Westmeath man shouldn't have been refereeing the Offaly v Waterford game - too close to home county and the fact the winners play his own county. Now, I'm not saying he was or was not biased, but he is wide open, even more so, to those accusations because of those facts. From what I've heard of McGrath's performance, his assessment won't be great.

I totally get that and agree. But 33theman33 seemed to be making some kind of point about Westmeath hurling ref's in general and was not referring specifically to the Waterford v Offaly game.

Advertisement