Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Does anyone have a sample answer for the ordnance survey maps in geography where they ask why a settlement developed there? any year or map would be grand, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ajguy97

Anyone got notes on The pearl by John steinbeck :L for the studied fiction about relationship and theme :L character im lost my english teacher is so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck.

SETTING

This novel is set in rural California in the 1930s. It features 2 men who work as migrant workers. They have a dream of owning their own land, they move from ranch to ranch digging ditches, bucking barley and doing whatever work needs to be done. It is a male-dominated world, tough, uncompromising and occasionally violent. Apart from the ranch own none of the men own their own land, their hard earned money is dissipated on pool, alcohol and whores.

Racism is evident, the ******, Crooks must sleep in his own room, not in the bunkhouse. He is not even allowed to play cards with the other men. His father did not let him play with the white children when he was little, knowing he would never be able to be a part of their world. Even Curley's wife, herself little more than white trash, is considerably more socially advantaged than Crooks and takes pleasure in putting him down. ''You keep your place then, ******''

Women are presented in the book as either mothers or whores, Aunt Clara was Lenny's surrogate mother. George says that women poison men's lives. Lennie's troubles stem from his encounters with women, Curley's wife is seen in this way referred to as a ''bitch'' and ''whore'' by various characters.

There is tenderness in this harsh world, Slim is the work leader and knows the people so well. He is the only one unaffected by the attention seeking behaviour of Curley's wife. He sympathises with George after he shoots Lennie. ''You hadda' George, I swear you hadda', come on George men and you'll get a drink.'' George has a deep love for lennie, he protects and parents him as best as he can, repeatedly telling him the story of the farm as a bedtime story, like a parent would tell their child. Even his killing of Lennie is out of love, to protect his childlike companion from a brutal hanging/torture.

Finally, Nature is idealised. Warm river water trickles over yellow sands against the stunning backdrop of the Gabilan mountains. The pool sustains an abundance of life and George prefers to sleep here than in the bunkhouse with strangers. There are snakes here, which represent the evil that lurks amidst the men's eden.

Character notes coming next

CHARACTER NOTES

Lennie:
    Lennie is simple-minded, totally innocent and completely dependent on George, childlike, he crys when George takes his dead mouse (huehue Pun) from him.

Lennie's innocence and great physical strength make him dangerous. In Weed he pets a girls dress, frightening her. He breaks every bone in Curley's hand and has no understanding of the consequences beyond upsetting George. He can not understand moral consequences either. After he kills Curley's wife he is worried that George ''Won't let me tend no rabbits'' and the real importance of the killing are beyond his power of reasoning.

Lennie is however the most hopeful character, his innocence lets him believe in the tale of owning their own farm, where he can tend the rabbits, and the imagined life they will have there. Even in the bleak world of the migrant worker, where candy's faith is all too typical (being sacked due to being disabled) lennie is a beacon of hope. Even when he hurts curly, and kills his wife, lennie retains our sympathy because we know he didn't intend to hurt curley or kill his wife.

George:
    George is Lennie's foil, quick thinking, careful, loyal, affectionate and protective. Despite his negative outlook and exhaustion which arises from parenting Lennie, he is idealistic.

George is quick thinking, he creates a contingency plan for lennie to hide in the brush incase anything goes wrong. He handles negotiations with the boss and he instructs lennie not to speak.

George is also careful, he teaches lennie how to deal with likely problems, avoids engaged with curley's wife and he is reluctant to reveal information about their plan to buy a farm.

George's loyaly, affectionate nature and protectiveness is seen in his treatment of lennie whose mental disability means it is up to george to protect and parent him. Regardless of the trouble that arises because of Lennie george remains loyal, like a parent showing boundless love for their child. George extricates Lennie from the trouble in Weed after he touches a girls dress. As he rests by the river before going to the ranch he thinks of ways to protect lennie. Despite his fatigue and irritation, he repeatedly tells lennie the tale of their farm where they can tend rabbits. He arranges for lennie to get a puppy at the ranch. what he can not do however, is save lennie from death. So he shoots lennie himself in what many see as a final act of love.

Themes next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

examstress wrote: »
    Anybody have a case study for economic inequality for Geog. ?;)

Economic inequalities in Italy.

North of Italy:
    It has a favourable climate - long growing season with summer showers.
    Agriculture in the Po Valley is very productive. The valley contains rich alluvial soils ideal for cereal production.
    It is one of europe's greatest manufacturing centres. Companies such as FIAT and Gucci are located in the north of Italy.
    The hydroelectric power resources of the Alps are a major source of power for manufacturing.
    Is has excellent roads and railways. Tunnels and passes connect northern italy to markets in france, switzerland and austria.
    Genoa is one of europe's leading ports.
    The north has benefited from inward migration of young people from the south.
    It has a great tourist industry with winter sports in the Alps, lake resorts and coastal resorts.

South of Italy (also known as Mezzogiorno) :
    The south includes sardinia and sicily. It is a peripheral region. The region is poorer than the northern region.
    It has a mountainous landscape. This makes farming difficult.
    It suffers from a lack of rainfall. This limits agriculture.
    Agricultural output is low due to the terrain and summer droughts. Farms are small to support a family. Irrigation is confined to small areas on narrow coastal plains.
    The south has suffered from outward migration. The region contains many elderly people. Young people migrated to the north in search for work and a better life.
    Foreign and italian companies are less willing to invest in the south as the south is far away from the markets of the EU.
    It is infamous for organised crime e.g. the mafia in sicily.

The Cassa:
    Southern Italy benefited from a government agency called Cassa. Cassa has invested funds in irrigation schemes to help farmers. Southern italy has been connected by motorway to the north. This helped agriculture, tourism and manufacturing. Farmers can have their market held in the north and tourists can reach the south quickly. Farmers are educated in modern farming methods

• Advertisement

THEMES

Personally I don't think this will be asked but I'll write them out anyways.

THE DREAM:

Soil Erosion in the great plains, namely oklahoma let to the formation of the so called dust bowels. Farmland was destroyed. Many emigrated to the fertile lands of California, working as farm labourers, hoping one day to own land there. George and Lennie are part of this group, the men dream of owning their own land to which each represents paridise; for all three (G,L,Candy) it will be a home. There will be no more running across the country, being ''canned'', and most of all, no more having to endure people they don't like, such as curley and his wife. Lennie can tend rabbits, George can settle down and find a girl and Candy will not have to worry about losing his job.

There is a powerful moment where candy, who realises that the death of curley's wife is the end of the dream, bizarrely speaks to her corpse. ''You done it dint' ya', everybody knowed you'd mess things up, you lousy tart''

The dream truly is dead, and george will take his money and spend it on pool. Without lennie he sees no point in the dream.

RACISM:
    2nd paragraph of the setting

PLACE OF WOMEN:
    Women are presented in the book as either mothers or whores, Aunt Clara was Lenny's surrogate mother. George says that women poison men's lives. Lennie's troubles stem from his encounters with women, Curley's wife is seen in this way referred to as a ''bitch'' and ''whore'' by various characters. Despite this, curley's wife truly is a piece of ''white trash'', used and abused by men. She recalls a man who said he would put her in the movies. She dreams of how she could have been a movie star, having her photo taken, with beautiful clothes. The promised letter never came, so she married Curley whom she fears out of desperation. Desperate for attention she converses with lennie who breaks her neck while the other men are playing horseshoes. She is just like all the other women in the novel, used and abused by men. She is not even afforded the dignity of a name.

Plot next

PLOT

Opening:
    The opening of this novel establishes the situations of the main characters, I see their troubles, fears, relationship and especially their dream of owning a farm. I also see the innocence of lennie who like to hear the tale of the farm they will have read to him as a bed time story, the parenting role george has and their special relationship. ''I got you to look after me, and you got me to look over you, and that's why!''

The plot is also outlined and we realise the men have fled their previous employment in weed after lennie's fascination with soft things inccured trouble when he pets a girls dress, but holds on, terrifying her. George manages to extricate lennie from this crisis and while they are by the river before completing their journey to the ranch george thinks of ways to protect lennie, he arranges for lennie to meet him by the riverbank incase trouble occurs. I feel that there is a disaster imminent.

Main Event::
    In chapter 5 lennie is in the barn regretting the loss of his now dead puppy, which he 'bounced' but not 'so hard.' Lennie doesn't understand his own strength. Curley's wife, desperate for attention enters and begins to converse with lennie. When she finds out his fascination with soft things she invites him to touch her hair, I recognise the danger of this remembering the mulitple soft things lennie hurt before (puppy, mouse). Lennie touches her hair and applies too much pressure, scared of angering george he shakes her to try stop her screaming, but he breaks her neck. Remembering george's instruction he flees to the riverbank.

Closing:
    George finds lennie hiding in the bush as planned and reassures him he is not angry with him, he mesmerises lennie with the tale of the dream and their farm. With the sound of lennie's would be killers close, george shoots an unsuspecting lennie in the back of the head. Ironically lennie is killed by the man he trusts and loves, a traumatised george is consoled by slim, the only man with the emotional depth to understand their friendship.

RIP HANDS </3

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Val97

PLOT

Opening:
    The opening of this novel establishes the situations of the main characters, I see their troubles, fears, relationship and especially their dream of owning a farm. I also see the innocence of lennie who like to hear the tale of the farm they will have read to him as a bed time story, the parenting role george has and their special relationship. ''I got you to look after me, and you got me to look over you, and that's why!''

The plot is also outlined and we realise the men have fled their previous employment in weed after lennie's fascination with soft things inccured trouble when he pets a girls dress, but holds on, terrifying her. George manages to extricate lennie from this crisis and while they are by the river before completing their journey to the ranch george thinks of ways to protect lennie, he arranges for lennie to meet him by the riverbank incase trouble occurs. I feel that there is a disaster imminent.

Main Event::
    In chapter 5 lennie is in the barn regretting the loss of his now dead puppy, which he 'bounced' but not 'so hard.' Lennie doesn't understand his own strength. Curley's wife, desperate for attention enters and begins to converse with lennie. When she finds out his fascination with soft things she invites him to touch her hair, I recognise the danger of this remembering the mulitple soft things lennie hurt before (puppy, mouse). Lennie touches her hair and applies too much pressure, scared of angering george he shakes her to try stop her screaming, but he breaks her neck. Remembering george's instruction he flees to the riverbank.

Closing:
    George finds lennie hiding in the bush as planned and reassures him he is not angry with him, he mesmerises lennie with the tale of the dream and their farm. With the sound of lennie's would be killers close, george shoots an unsuspecting lennie in the back of the head. Ironically lennie is killed by the man he trusts and loves, a traumatised george is consoled by slim, the only man with the emotional depth to understand their friendship.

RIP HANDS </3

Thank You so much :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

Does anyone have any character notes on the field by john b keane?????

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ajguy97

No notes on The Pearl :L? john steinbeck :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

hey does anyone have any notes on roll of thunder hear my cry????

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

Is é an gearrscéal a roghnaigh mé ná An t-Ádh le Pádriag Ó Conaire. Is é an téama a roghnaigh mé ná An Bás.

Bhí an scéalaí, Pádraig, agus a bheirt chairde Séamus agus Micillín i bhfolach mar nach raibh siad ag iarraidh aon obair a dhéanamh. Theastaigh le Pádraig dul ag bádóireacht ach ní raibh an bheirt eile sásta mar go bhfuair siad léasadh ar an uair dheireanach a thóg siad bád amach gan cead.

Shocraigh siad ar dhul amach ar bhád Thoim Bhig i ngan fhios dó. Bhí plean ag Pádraig. Bhí Tom Beag le dul go Garumna go margadh muc ar an mbád. Ní raibh an triúr ábalta dul mar bhí ar leaid amháin fanacht chun a rá le Tom go raibh dhá mhuc eile ar an mbád.

Bhí díomá ar na buachaillí. Ba mhaith leis an triúr acu dul ach chuir siad ar chrannaibh é. Thóg Pádraig trí tráithnín. Phioc na buachaillé eile tráithnín. Ba é an scéalaí Pádraig a roghnaigh an ceann ab fhaide. Mar sin, ní raibh sé ábalta dul leis na buachaillí ar an mbád.

Bhí díoma an domhain ar Phádraig. Chuaigh na buachaillí eile amach agus d'fhan sé taobh thiar. Bhí Pádraig cráite (tormented) leis seo. Chuaigh an bád amach san fharraige.

Nuair a shroich sé baile fuair sé amach gur bádh gach duine a bhí ar bhád Thoim Bhig. Thuig Pádraig go raibh an t-ádh leis. Choiméad sé tráithnín an áidh ina dhiadh sin.

Rinne mé staidéar ar an dán "Subh Milis" le Séamas Ó Neill. Feicimid grá tuismitheora dá pháiste go soiléir sa dáin seo.

Lá amháin tháinig an file Séamas Ó Neill abhaile agus chonaic sé rud a chuir fearg air. Nuair a bhí a pháiste óg ag bualadh ar dhoras na sráide, d'fhág sé subh milis air. Is dócha go raibh ceapaire a ithe ag an bpáiste agus go raibh roinnt suibhe fágtha ar a lámha. Ach níor mhair fearg an fhile ró-fhada. Mar thosaigh sé ag smaoineamh ar shaol an duine agus faoin saol a bhí roimhe féin. Fásann paistí beaga suas agus fágann siad a dtuimitheoirí. Mar sin, tiocfaidh an lá nuair a bheidh páiste an fhile fásta suas agus imithe amach sa saol. Beidh an baschrann glan ach ní raibh an file sona. Beidh brón agus uaigneas air.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ExcitedGorilla

Anyone have a sample answer for Ailliliu Bop Siuaidi? Cant find one anywhere...

Is cuimhin liom an lá go maith, lár an earraigh a bhí ann. Bhí an grian ag taitneamh agus bhí gaoth bhog ag séideadh. D'fhéach mé ar m'uaireadóir. Bhí sé a ceathrú chun a sé. Bhí orm brostú! Bhí mé ar mo bhealach go dtí an siopa poitigéara. Bhí mo mham tinn agus bhí mé ag dul ann chun leigheas a cheannach di. Bhí an siopa ag dúnadh ar a sé.

Isteach liom sa siopa agus bhí mé ag labhairt leis an bpoitigéar nuair a phléasc fear isteach. Bhí cuma fhíochmhar ar aghaidh an fhir an bhí gunna ina lámh aige. Céard a dhéanfainn? Bhí mé fuar le scanradh.

Baineadh geit uafásach asam. Lig an féar béic as. Bhí drugaí agus airgead as teastail uaidh. Dhírigh sé an gunna ar an bpoitigéir agus bhí orm luí ar an urlár. Bhí bheirt eile sa siopa freisin ach ní raibh gíog ná míos as éinne. Thosaigh an poitigéar ag líonadh an mála le drugaí agus airgead. Bhí sé ag cur allais go tiubh. Ansin, Rug an gadaí an mála agus rith sé amach. Bhí caillín óg ag obair ar chúl an tsiopa agus i ngan fhios don gadaí chuir sí fios ar na gardaí. Nuair a d'imigh an gadaí an siopa, bhí na gardaí ag fanacht leis.

Rinne an gadaí iarracht éalú agus scaoil sé urchar le garda amháin. Thit sé ar an talamh agus bhí sé ag scoilteadh le pian. Gan a thoilleadh moille, Léim garda eile ar dhroim an ghadaí agus rug sé ar an ngunna. Tar éis troid mhillteanach rug na gardaí greim ar an gadaí. Chuir siad fios ar an otharcharr agus thiomáin siad go dtí Stáisiún na nGardaí.

Chaith an garda cúpla lá san ospideál ach ní raibh sé gortaithe go dona - Buíochas le Dia. Ba bheag nár thit mo thuismitheorí i laige nuair a chuala siad an scéal. Mise á rá, Ní dheánfaidh mé dearmad ar an lá sin go deo!

Is cuimhin liom go maith é. Lár an tsamhraidh a bhí ann. Uair an mhéanlae a bhí ann, a bhí mé i m'aonar sa teach. Bhí mo thuismitheorí imithe go cóisir i dteach éigín. Céard a rinne mé? Chuaigh mé sa tseans agus ghoid mé carr mo mháthair.

Lá breá brothallach a bhí ann. Bhían ghrian ag scoilteadh na gcloch agus ní raibh oireadh is puth gaoithe ann. Ach ní raibh mise ag smaoineamh ar an aimsir. As go brách liom síos an bóthar, gan cíos, cás, ná cáthú orm. Bhí an bóthar tréigthe agus thóg mé go deas bog é. Gan choinne, chonaic mé veain ag teacht i mo threo ar an taobh micheart den bhóthar. Bhí mé i gruachas ceart. Chas mé an roth stiúrtha agus bhrúigh mé mo chos ar na coscáin, ach bhí sé ró-dhéanach.

Ní cuimhin liom aon rud a tharla ina dhiaidh sin go dtí gur dhúisigh mé san ospidéal.Ní raibh mé gortaithe do dona - Buíochas le Dia. Bhí mo thuismitheorí ina suí ag taobh na leapa agus cuma an-bhuartha orthu. Bhí mo mháthair ag gol go fuíoch nuair a d'oscail mé mo shúile.

Nuair a tháinig mé abhaile, ní mó ná sásta a bhí mo thuismitheorí liom. Níor thug siad airgead póca dom go ceann miosa ina dhiadh sin. Bhí ar mo mháthair ioc as an damaiste a rinneadh don veain agus dá carr.

Ní dheanfaidh mé dearmad go deo ar an lá sin. Is minic a dhúisim i marbhan na hóiche, baite le hallas, ag smaoineamh ar an lá a ghoid mé carr mo mháthair.

If you need any part of those essays translated let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jpr57852

Anyone have any notes on the first question in the last section on the HL history paper? Like the renaissance, reformation, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

jpr57852 wrote: »
    Anyone have any notes on the first question in the last section on the HL history paper? Like the renaissance, reformation, etc.?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Colin2198

Irish paper 1&2 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

Colin2198 wrote: »
    Irish paper 1&2 tomorrow

Anyone have a list on approx how long to spend and how much to write on each section?

Anyone have a list on approx how long to spend and how much to write on each section?

Paper 1
    An dtús 5 minutes
    Cluastuiscint 20 minutes
    Léamhthuiscint A 20 minutes X2
    Trialacha Teanga 10 minutes X2
    Scéal 35 minutes

Paper 2
    Prós Liteartha 15 minutes X2
    Filíocht 15 minutes X2
    Litir 30 minutes

:)

Could anybody please give a sample answer on the question 'why did this town locate here' for geography. It's greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

Does anyone have a sample answer for the ordnance survey maps in geography where they ask why a settlement developed there? any year or map would be grand, thanks.
    This is done myself and not corrected but hope it helps...

JC 2009 Q5 C (Give 3 reasons why Wicklow developed at this location)

One reason Wicklow developed was for Ecclesiastical reasons.
    At T314 941 there is a named antiquity which is a church. This shows that the church has been there a long time, possibly since the origin of the town, leading me to believe this town was set up with an ecclesiastical function. Also, the town is centred around the boxes of T31 94 and T31 93. Both of these boxes are beside the church and have churches at T314 938 and T314 944

Another reason Wicklow might have devolped here was because of Transport/Port as the mouth of the River Vartry opens to the sea at T321 941. The River Vartry then leaves the map extract at T260 974. This means goods could have been transported inland to such towns as Ashford at T271 975. Wicklow is the only town in the map extract which is on the coast, making it an ideal port for travellers at sea. This is why it could have been set up with a transport and port function.

A final reason Wicklow might have developed here was for a defence function. There is castle at T324 941. This settlement might have been a promontory fort as it backs onto the sea and is on a headland. This is an easily defended spot as there are hills also covering it. This means when the town came under attack, its residents could have taken shelter in this castle. For these reasons, Wicklow might have been set up as a defence function.

Hope it helps even if it is only done by me and not corrected :o

Bluestrike wrote: »
    This is done myself and not corrected but hope it helps...

JC 2009 Q5 C (Give 3 reasons why Wicklow developed at this location)

One reason Wicklow developed was for Ecclesiastical reasons.
    At T314 941 there is a named antiquity which is a church. This shows that the church has been there a long time, possibly since the origin of the town, leading me to believe this town was set up with an ecclesiastical function. Also, the town is centred around the boxes of T31 94 and T31 93. Both of these boxes are beside the church and have churches at T314 938 and T314 944

Another reason Wicklow might have devolped here was because of Transport/Port as the mouth of the River Vartry opens to the sea at T321 941. The River Vartry then leaves the map extract at T260 974. This means goods could have been transported inland to such towns as Ashford at T271 975. Wicklow is the only town in the map extract which is on the coast, making it an ideal port for travellers at sea. This is why it could have been set up with a transport and port function.

A final reason Wicklow might have developed here was for a defence function. There is castle at T324 941. This settlement might have been a promontory fort as it backs onto the sea and is on a headland. This is an easily defended spot as there are hills also covering it. This means when the town came under attack, its residents could have taken shelter in this castle. For these reasons, Wicklow might have been set up as a defence function.

Hope it helps even if it is only done by me and not corrected :o

Well answered but generally the main points the examiner is looking for are:
    Route Focus
    Bridging Point
    Service Centre
    Low Lying Land

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

Well answered but generally the main points the examiner is looking for are:
    Route Focus
    Bridging Point
    Service Centre
    Low Lying Land

Could you explain those? What are they? Our teacher is an idiot, she told us that the reason a place develops is because there's a big dual carriageway beside it *facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

spurious wrote: »
    Guideline or not, it is marked according to the SRSs in it.
    Only 8 SRSs are needed for a full mark answer.

I have seen answers 12 lines long that got full marks.

That's really helpful, thanks spurious !! :)

If anyone needs notes for music... let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 itsmekie

Do you have any tips on dictation for music? Finding it really hard and i can never seem to get it right. Not too bad at music overall but this is bringing my Grade down. I only got 12/40 in my mock on this question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement