Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 Episode 9: Have NOT read the books/BEWARE SPOILERS MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

wtf are you serious? did you even do history for lc ?
    I did history for my Leaving but I must have been sick the days dragons, white walkers, wargs, wights, giants and blood magic came up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

But, when Ned was killed and Bran dreamed that his father was dead, Rickon also dreamed that his father was dead, and that he was down in the crypt below Winterfell.
    I'm speaking from the perspective of the series (see thread title), and I don't believe this is part of that.
    peace2804 wrote: »
    Who are the 3 Starks?? I only remember Ned and Robb, Cat isn't a stark as she's a Tully thus she doesn't have the Stark blood.
    Stark by marriage - she even underlines this in her final demand to lord Frey.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's not medieval history though? It's not even historical fantasy, it's just fantasy.
    However much of it is drawn directly from medieval history - in some cases almost word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'm speaking from the perspective of the series (see thread title), and I don't believe this is part of that.

It was in series one, or maybe the first epsiode of series two - Rickon was down in the crypt with Shaggy Dog looking for his father because he'd dreamed that his father was in the crypt. This was the same morning that Bran had dreamed of his father's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've never read it and have no intention to (I dislike American writers doing Medieval history, they lump it all together as if 800 years of history were all the same)

Given that you haven't actually read it you're basing that totally on ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Don't recall seeing that in the show yet?

Although going by a lot of posts in this thread it seems the torturer is going to be a Bolton.

Bolton has a conversation with Robb just before he meets Talisa for the first time where he is saying that they can't afford to keep taking prisoners (implying that he would prefer to execute them) and suggests torturing them for information. Robb tells him that his father outlawed flaying in the North to which he replies 'we're not in the north'.

Have a look at this post for more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Jorah was actually repeating something that Barristan said to Jorah soon after they first met. Barristan had used the exact same words to tell Jorah that his status as a disgraced exile might mean that he wouldn't be seen as a suitable advisor to Dany if she ever made it back to Westeros.

I think it foreshadows some division among Dany's advisors; we also have Dany making eyes at the new guy and Jorah being a bit sidelined because of it.

I have major doubts about Jorah Mormont- afaics he sought out the Targareons in an attempt to spy on them and earn a royal pardon, somewhere along the way he had a change of heart, when he saved Danys from the assassination attempt, seemingly a result of his falling in love with her. I wonder if he is rejected in favour of Daario Naharis could that cause him to betray her again? Also it seems likely that Ser Barristan knows that Jorah betrayed her since he was head of Robert's kings guard when they received his letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 appiuscrispus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's not medieval history though? It's not even historical fantasy, it's just fantasy.
    krudler wrote: »
    You do realise GoT isn't historical right? It's fantasy, same as Lord of the Rings or any number of other books.

Seeing as no ones understands that I don't like American writers when they do medieval-esque fantasy. SOI is medieval fantasy. While it's got magic it's still set in a feudal society.

Why I don't like American medieval fantasy authors?
    As I said they tend to lump the entire period together.
    Gbear wrote: »
    Given that you haven't actually read it you're basing that totally on ignorance.

Well I have read the first couple of chapters and had no interest in finishing it.

Are you saying I should read the entire series, currently unfinished, before I form an opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

To be fair, I'm not American or a fantasy author and I lump the entire period together and so does everyone I know. Unless you are a history buff, medieval times = The Kings/Noblemen made the rules (which afforded them a measure of protection) while stabbing each other in the back in pursuit of power. The middle classes ie bannermen were at the mercy of the Kings/Noblemen and their lives depended on their competence in battle. The bannermen had a measure of power as they could change alligence and infulence how events unfolded. God help you if you were a lower class peasant. Your life was worth no more than a pawn on a chessboard and in a war you would be the first to die. Kill the peasants = cut off a bannermans supply of food and taxes which rises up the ranks.

I think the Game of Thrones emulates this perfectly. It is not a documentary on the history channel but a tv show that depicts how we believe life was hundreds of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Seeing as no ones understands that I don't like American writers when they do medieval-esque fantasy. SOI is medieval fantasy. While it's got magic it's still set in a feudal society.

Well I have read the first couple of chapters and had no interest in finishing it.

Are you saying I should read the entire series, currently unfinished, before I form an opinion?

But its a story set during a specific period of Westeros history? and it does make reference to the previous periods like the Targaryens and dragons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just finished episode 9 and 10....wow, I think I have to rewatch 10 because the events of episode 9 were just going through my mind so much. In TV shows the death of
    Wallace
    in The Wire has always stood out as one which really affected me but this right up there, and I don't think that it is because of one death, (I was actually happy with Catelyn dying as she is responsible for the majority of misery The Starks have experienced) but the fact that a whole power in the series. I always felt the whole North vs Lannisters, was the central conflict to the story, even though there were three other Kings claiming the throne, and to see it all but erased like that is truly shocking. Powerful stuff.....well played GOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

More than a couple of chapters couldn't hurt.

It's a bit like a child refusing to eat a sort of food and saying they don't like it when they've never tried it.

I don't mind ignorance. Willful ignorance on the other hand is a no-no to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Also meant to say that I felt they played 'The Rains of Castemere' a little too early. It was a nice red herring when Thoros was singing it as he approached Arya, Gendry, and Hot Pie, thinking they had run into Lannisters....but there was no mistaking some bad sh*t was going to go down this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

was the whole stark army killed outside the castle or do they have troops left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

tricky D wrote: »
    Well the direwolf is their sigil, so maybe more of the reason for that will out later.

Balon Greyjoy.

One scene that has me wondering is an exchange between Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan:

Could well not be particularly significant, but there's an exchange of looks between them and Dany's reaction which has me thinking there's more than meets the eye.

Jorah was sniping back at Selmy after he laid into him, suggesting Daenerys might be better off if he wasn't by her side given given his reputation and history as a slaver before he fled after Robert's war.

Even though Selmy indicated he did not know about Jorah being involved in the plot to have Daenerys assassinated in season one you just know that's going to come out at some point. Jorah had joined her camp in the beginning to spy on her in exchange for a pardon from the King.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Watched this episode late last night.

For the final 5 - 10 mins of the show my face was like this: :eek:

For 10 mins after the credits my face was like this: :eek:

Woke up this morning and my face was like this: :(

It made for incredible tv. Definitely the most jaw-dropping piece I've seen from a tv show to date. I recall being left blown away by certain scenes in Breaking Bad, but this was on another.....more sinister level.

Breaking Bad's best is still better than anything GoT has done, same goes for Mad Men. Plenty of non-running shows that have had more juicy moments than the Red Wedding.

It's like comparing an apple with an apple pie, it sounds good but the shows are taking aim at very different things. Game of Thrones is (mostly) great at what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

I just saw this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Rezident wrote: »
    I just saw this.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Found the daenerys part disappointing this week. Was building up to something and then they come back and say its over and they won.

My girlfriend came up with a theory (shes an english student so actually thinks of this type of thing unlike me who just watches) that each of their wolves are each childs "starkness"

Lady was killed as Sansa became a Lannister, siding with Joffrey over her own family.
    Arya and her wolf are both somewhere in the wilds and nobody knows where they are (except the hound who is with Arya)
    Snow got the runt of the litter, the lesser of the lot just as he doesnt see himself as a true stark.
    Rob and his wolf were both killed in the same manner and both trapped in a small area shot from above.(although rob got stabbed to finish the job)

I was terrible at this sort of this in english but there seems to be a connection, whether it was intentional or just coincidence I dont know.

Thats a great theory from your girlfriend, spot on. Even the shot from above part relating to Robb and his direwolf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Thats a great theory from your girlfriend, spot on. Even the shot from above part relating to Robb and his direwolf

The TV show is different from the books, which is the core material, and the theory doesn't hold water there.

• Advertisement

Liamalone wrote: »
    The TV show is different from the books, which is the core material, and the theory doesn't hold water there.

You're threading very dangerous territory there - in all honesty it shouldn't even be posted as a reason why any theory 'doesn't hold water' - but it doesn't matter what the books say or do, this is an adaptation and there is always going to be artistic license taken so the theory holds plenty of water.

If it the above was intended it's a very good addition to have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Only saw this episode yesterday. While the circumstances were pretty shocking, I'm not that shocked that Robb Stark has been killed. I mean, surely that was always on the cards? There was no way he was ever going to be able to lay siege to Kingslanding or kill Joffrey or really do any of the things he was planning. He staged a rebellion and it was quashed by more powerful people. If he had been successful, I would have felt cheated by the writing.

As for the wolf connection with all the Starks - fairly obvious, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There was no way he was ever going to be able to lay siege to Kingslanding or kill Joffrey or really do any of the things he was planning.

He never planned to march on King's Landing, he wanted independence for the North not the IT. He left the capture of King's Landing to Stannis, which was undermined by the actions of his uncle Edmure unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Blay wrote: »
    He never planned to march on King's Landing, he wanted independence for the North not the IT. He left the capture of King's Landing to Stannis, which was undermined by the actions of his uncle Edmure unfortunately.

I know he didn't want the Iron Throne, but didn't he talk about killing Joffrey anyway as justice for his father's death?

I felt like Robb's death was pretty inevitable anyway. Was going to happen sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I know he didn't want the Iron Throne, but didn't he talk about killing Joffrey anyway as justice for his father's death?

I felt like Robb's death was pretty inevitable anyway. Was going to happen sooner or later.

id have liked to see him try take the lannister gaff first though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

5 episodes so far tonight, just starting Numero 10.

Still in shock from 9

Just sitting down to watch this with my flatmate. I've seen it, she hasn't yet. Not even sure I want to watch this episode again! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Just sitting down to watch this with my flatmate. I've seen it, she hasn't yet. Not even sure I want to watch this episode again! :(

Sneaky video of the reaction is a must.

Still makes me smile seeing people's reactions to the RW :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I watched season 1 with my ex over the summer. Her reaction to Baelor was a huge 'meh'. I knew then that it wasn't to be.

Advertisement