Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Black Suir wrote: »
    I love the way you stuck in Tony Browne there. Was disappointed he was not used on Sunday. Should have came on for the last 20 minutes or so.

Come on in the last 20 mins or so to do what? In what position? The game was gone from us by the 50 minute mark. Bringing on a 40 year old Tony Browne against a Clare team only getting stronger as the game wore on would have been a stupid move & Ryan would have been slated if he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Black Suir wrote: »
    Our biggest problem is that we have a Shambles County Board. There is some good people gone in there new with the past five or six years, but there is a few there that are around much longer that needed to be removed from the board, leaving new people with new ideas move in their place.

your dead right there...

surely there is another game of "county board musical chairs" coming up, with the chairman becoming treasurer, a few munster council seats swapped around and like at a normal party everyone claims there doggy bag (expenses) and goes home happy campers! with the idiot clubs and general public bailing them out with more levys then the current govt!!

the waterford county board is the most inept clueless bunch in the country and thats before i even start on the pointless divisional boards.

my criticism of michael ryan is one thing and in hindsight the heat of the moment i shouldnt have been as harsh but i dont envy the man when he has to deal with the bunch of neanderthols we have at co. board level! all jokes aside it is like something out of killinascully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

At the moment we have a mixture of older and younger players. Whoever takes over from Michael Ryan will reap the rewards of the introduction of lots of youngsters and a team like this in 3 years time should be in a better position to challenge for honours than the present team:

1. Stephen O’ Keeffe (25)
    2. Noel Connors (26)
    3. Shane Fives (27)
    4. Paudie Pendergast (24)
    5. Stephen Daniels (26)
    6. Philip Mahony (25)
    7. Eoin Madigan (24)
    8. Darragh Fives (25)
    9. Gavin O’ Brien (23)
    10. Brian O’ Halloran (25)
    11. Paudie Mahony (24)
    12. Maurice Shanahan (26)
    13. Jake Dillon (23)
    14. Stephen Bennett (21)
    15. Jamie Barron (23)

Subs :
    Austin Gleeson (21)
    Stephen Roche (24)
    Tony Browne (43)
    Patrick Curran (21)

Rough ages are in brackets but there is the makings of a team who should be strong enough to challenge for All Irelands. It's not all doom and gloom.
    Add in Michael Harney, Tom Devine, Tadhg Bourke, Colin Dunford, Cormac Curran, Conor Gleeson and Michael Kearney there aswel, 7 top class players and if they are developed the right way by the u21 and senior management, will turn out to be fantastic hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Add in Michael Harney, Tom Devine, Tadhg Bourke, Colin Dunford, Cormac Curran, Conor Gleeson and Michael Kearney there aswel, 7 top class players and if they are developed the right way by the u21 and senior management, will turn out to be fantastic hurlers

We've a good supply of hurlers coming through in the 17-22 age bracket that have benefited from the change in club structures at minor in 2008. From the 24-30 plus age bracket the number of players in the county that are good enough is alot less with 1 or 2 players in each year or maybe none in some years that came through which are good enough for senior intercounty hurling. The future looks better than previous decades when the county team lacked strength and depth and lived off scraps from underage teams.

Having good club structures at underage and good coaching through the clubs and schools means a heck of alot and that is why we are still trying to play catch up to Kilkenny. Going forward we just need to be mindful of not returning back to the days of very poor club structures at underage and that is why any time the western board chairman and his mates put forward motions like he did earlier this year to play the minor hurling and football championship back to a divisional format should be rejected so that the supply of emerging talent coming through in the county wont dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ollie the Saint

tramore winning last night with 13 men for 45 minutes of the game.....unreal hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

tramore winning last night with 13 men for 45 minutes of the game.....unreal hurling

How did they end up in that predicament in the first place?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

whats so good about it...

Anyone at the abbeyside ballygunner game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ballygunner are seriously under the coche now, 1/3 wins and only Passage (only one game played but looking serious this year) and Dungarvan left.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

Twitter says they lost 1-21 to 4-6.

• Advertisement

Anyone have the starting 15? yeah gunner scored 3 goals in injury time, abbeyside the better team for 60mins so i heard

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Anyone have the starting 15? yeah gunner scored 3 goals in injury time, abbeyside the better team for 60mins so i heard

Well to be 15 points up going into injury time you would expect as much. I know Ballygunner had a man sent off early but god almighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I still think they'll be there or thereabouts at the business end. weve seen these type of results in the group stages before

anyone at the minor challenge game against kilkenny today in kilmacow? or hear anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we dont want Offaly in the draw tomorrow.

Why cant they just make the draw on the sunday game tonight ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    we dont want Offaly in the draw tomorrow.

Why cant they just make the draw on the sunday game tonight ??

Granted we don't want them but we really should be beating Offaly if we draw then

deisedude wrote: »
    Granted we don't want them but we really should be beating Offaly if we draw then

We really should. Think home advantage could be important in the qualifiers though, wouldn't like to play them in Tullamore even though I feel Kilkenny played well within themselves.

I know it was Kilkenny they were playing, but to score 4 goals to 0 and still lose by 5 points is poor enough.

Think the loser of the Dublin/Wexford game (probably Wexford, I think they may have lost their chance) may be tougher as they will have had an extra game under their belts. We really have to believe we can beat anyone that we may face though.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

Can Waterford draw Tipperary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Niallers87 wrote: »

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

YES. In the third round if both teams reach that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not in this round as Tipp lost in the semi final and we lost in the quarter final they both go into different stages in the qualifiers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the draw is

Prem Round

A Offaly vs Waterford
    BWexford/Dublin vs Antrim
    C London vs Westmeath

Phase 1
    Team B vs Carlow
    Team C vs Team A

Were ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

the draw is

Prem Round

A Offaly vs Waterford
    C London vs Westmeath

Phase 1
    Team B vs Carlow
    Team C vs Team A

Were ****ed

Bit negative, think we should be able to beat Offaly and get through phase 1

Up the Deise !

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

Its going to be a long summer for one of us? Will be travelling more in hope than confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Beat Offaly and get a weekend in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭deeks

the draw is

Prem Round

A Offaly vs Waterford
    C London vs Westmeath

Phase 1
    Team B vs Carlow
    Team C vs Team A

Were ****ed

We really are ****ed if we don't believe we can beat Offaly and London or Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lads don't ye realise pth2009 is the resident thread pessimist. He's been predicting doom and gloom for Waterford for years now.

Its definitely a tricky draw, would have preferred Westmeath/London first and then Offaly but it is what is. Offaly's performance yesterday will focus the minds but we have to believe we can beat them, but of course take nothing for granted. And to be honest if we can't beat Offaly then we've no business in the later rounds of the championship anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Tough draw. On the plus side there would be nothing to learn from a home draw against a London or a Carlow but I suppose when its straight knock-out you just want to get through.

Offaly will definetly fancy taking us and they will have gained a lot of confidence from their performance yesterday. I think pound for pound we are better hurlers but they are a big strong physical side and as we seen yesterday anything can happen in championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Offaly got within 5 points of Kilkenny yesterday, and will be seriously enthused by the performance. If we got within that close of Kilkenny I think we'd be the same.

I remarked to a few people yesterday while watching the game that an away fixture to somewhere like that would be a big challenge, particularly after playing badly against Clare.

If we can't beat Offaly we have no business in the Championship. Having said that, I rate our chances at 50:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Have faith lads, We gotta face the anybody before meeting the best. No point to avoid the best to win the All Ireland championship. We all know Waterford have no chance but we should be excited to see the new building team, Give Michael Ryan and the lads a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

From an outside perspective.
    Tough draw but potentially a very good draw for both. Whoever wins it will give a massive lift to and get the season back on track.

Offaly would be happier in their efforts V KK yesterday than Waterford V Clare.
    One of the hardest things now is to pick yourself up after being knocked out of the provincial. Every thought, training session and challenge match has gone into that for weeks and months.

Even during the league, Clare and KK would have been looked at as the big game. Now both have to refocus on 'new' opposition and get into the right frame of mind.
    The deflation of losing a 1st round can be fatal.
    personally whilst Offaly can take a lot of positives from yesterday, it will be a tough job for Ollie Baker to ensure they bring the same level of aggression and intensity the next day, not easy repeat that.
    One thing for the Waterford backs, the Offaly forwards seem way more physical than Clare's. Almost senior compared to U21.

Definitely the tie of the round ans from a neutral pov, its good to see a match up like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement