Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Works well enough on my phone emulator anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Just played some ESPgaluda with a sniff and a tear from the news today that CAVE officially closed their consumer division and goes online/social .

That will be the end of new Shmup developing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And with that, Cave PCB prices quadrupled worldwide :(

Sad day indeed....good time for Raizing and Toplan to return in full force though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Andrew76 wrote: »
    One of the perks of working from home, pop downstairs at lunchtime for some shmup action. 29" vert low res Raiden Fighters loveliness. :cool:

Mht4wsV.jpg

One of the perks of working in an office..
    Sitting on the can reading this on my smartphone when I should be at my desk!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I committed a cardinal sin yesterday, brought the Snes down to the main tv..
    But, I did it so I could play Chronotrigger and Earthbound, the former of which was started last night. And very nice it is too.
    The music is great and the art is lovely so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, I did it so I could play Chronotrigger and Earthbound, the former of which was started last night. And very nice it is too.

As in a flatscreen tv? Heathen!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    As in a flatscreen tv? Heathen!

Yeah heathen!... ahem.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah heathen!... ahem.

Not you aswell? I thought you had a crt?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not you aswell? I thought you had a crt?

No room for one :(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No room for one :(

You did have one though! You got rid of?

• Advertisement

You did have one though! You got rid of?

I had to when my parents decided to add the dining room to the kitchen, the dining room was my games room at the time. I had no where to put a massive 32 inch widescreen philips :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Fire Emblem! God damn perma death!
    Also thAt Titania one on the horse, killed Ilyana before I could get Ike to talk to her?
    Played through the level because I for some reason thought she would join after the battle, she doesn't because she is dead.
    Lost interest and couldn't be arsed resetting.

Played through 4 swords this weekend with a couple of mates, really fun with the gba's hooked up, then decided to run through super metroid, i've forgotten so much. Might carry on and go through prime next, been too long since I last played through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Ah being allowed to come downstairs and play on the big tv, happy days.

Played through the first dungeon of Oracle of Seasons yesterday, very nice really want to see more of the changing seasons mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Playing Shinobi at the moment - Its on XBL. The Original game. Can finish the entire game with one life :)

The Legend Of Zelda on the 3DS. It's really uncomfortable after a while, & I don't like the d-pad on it all that much either. I'm officially in need of a 3DS-XL. Sigh, first world problems

Master of the Universe

The Legend Of Zelda on the 3DS. It's really uncomfortable after a while, & I don't like the d-pad on it all that much either. I'm officially in need of a 3DS-XL. Sigh, first world problems

Not fond of the D pad on it at all either :( Just use the circle pad for everything.

Have you played Mighty Switch Force? Great little game. Been trying to finish off the last few levels recently.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Not fond of the D pad on it at all either :( Just use the circle pad for everything.

Yeah I've resorted to this with Zelda, it just 'feels' wrong though. The d-pad is pretty poor isn't it?
    Have you played Mighty Switch Force? Great little game. Been trying to finish off the last few levels recently.

Nah not yet, is there a demo of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

Been walled in over the weekend catching up playing games. loving crisis force on the famicom at the moment. it's such an amazing game. dug out a couple of fds games recently also and I've started playing my way through Mario castleviania hack again and ai sensai nicol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Been walled in over the weekend catching up playing games. loving crisis force on the famicom at the moment. it's such an amazing game. dug out a couple of fds games recently also and I've started playing my way through Mario castleviania hack again and ai sensai nicol

Crisis Force is an absolute beast of a nes game. Music is top notch as well.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Thought I'd have a go at finishing Comixs Zone this evening. No such look! Death was waiting for me on level 4.

Bastard hard game. One of the nicest looking MD games I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Jack burton

yeah really is a dickhead of a game. The bosses are just sick hard. Gorgeous game indeed...surprised the whole trapped in a comic thing didnt pop up more in games....seems kinda obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Little bit of Pier Solar, looks good and sounds nice :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Arkanoid on the DS with my new Paddle Controller, lovely jubbly!

Master of the Universe

Started Bayonetta last night - why didn't anyone tell me how good this was???

Okay so people told me it was good and to play it, but nobody really said just how good. It's bloody brilliant!! Best action game I've played this gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Okay so people told me it was good and to play it, but nobody really said just how good. It's bloody brilliant!! Best action game I've played this gen.

Because its a pile of pants.

Well not entirely, I was really excited to play it but once I got into it I was really disappointed, it just felt like utter chaos to me and the presentation was absolutely appalling, I gave up after a couple of hours.

Perhaps I just don't have the mad skills but I found it too frustrating.

Master of the Universe

Well not entirely, I was really excited to play it but once I got into it I was really disappointed, it just felt like utter chaos to me and the presentation was absolutely appalling, I gave up after a couple of hours.

I thought the same after an initial play of about 30 minutes.

When you give it a bit more attention though the action is really fluid and intuitive. Some of the environments and bosses are really spectacular, in a Shadow of the Colossus kind of way.

It's a really really great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Arkanoid on the DS with my new Paddle Controller, lovely jubbly!

Glad to see you got it :)

Philistine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You just weren't paying enough attention to us! It many years on remains one of this generation's giddy heights.

If you're playing on normal, start on hard as soon as you're finished. Trust me on that. The combat system transforms from great to poetic. Have rarely been so compelled by a game's, well, gameplay.

Advertisement