Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The best part of the game is the first 10 hours in Midgar. Absolute bliss :)

The rest of the game is great but it peaked early. I doubt it'll take you 120 hours, unless you spend ages wandering, leveling up as much as you can and doing everything.

Should be able to get through the whole thing start to finish in a fraction of that time - so definitely stick it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a 40-50 hour game if you don't go after the two emerald optional bosses. The first few hours in midgar are wonderfully paced and while it kind of dies a bit afterwards and loses pacing it's still a good game.

I hope you got it from the US store because the European version plays significantly slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a 40-50 hour game if you don't go after the two emerald optional bosses. The first few hours in midgar are wonderfully paced and while it kind of dies a bit afterwards and loses pacing it's still a good game.

I hope you got it from the US store because the European version plays significantly slower.

I had no idea about that :( It seems to play just fine though, does that appl to all psone titles? Just for future reference. Looking forward to getting home tonight and getting stuck into it properly. I dont know where I got the 120 figure out of, but I thought thats what I clocked it at the first time. I did do a lot of farting around in it though, exploring everthing and doing loads of grinding. Getting lost a few times as well, so maybe it all added up.

I can barely remember the story as well, just some of the key points. So it should be like a new experiance :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had no idea about that :( It seems to play just fine though, does that appl to all psone titles? Just for future reference. Looking forward to getting home tonight and getting stuck into it properly. I dont know where I got the 120 figure out of, but I thought thats what I clocked it at the first time. I did do a lot of farting around in it though, exploring everthing and doing loads of grinding. Getting lost a few times as well, so maybe it all added up.

I can barely remember the story as well, just some of the key points. So it should be like a new experiance :D

Yeah it plays fine because you only played the European version originally. Ignorance is bliss :) However if you play the US one and see how better it plays then you'll never be able to go back.

For future reference nearly all European games on the European store are badly optimised PAL versions, there's a few exceptions, Kula World is well optimised (since it was on release) and there's stuff like he japanese imports which are the japanese versions of the games and Resident Evil 2 and 3 are actually the US versions so run faster. European games until recently when they started to give 60Hz options in games and HD TVs (which run at 60 FPS) all ran in 50 frames per second with only a handful being optimised to bring them in line with the US and Japanese versions.

Really there's no reason not to get the US versions, they are cheaper (playasia sell digital PSN codes at cost now). Just be advised if you plan to play them on a Vita you will need two memory cards, one for your EU account and one for the US one.

Sound advice, thanks for that. Although I cant see myself downloading much more psone titles, graphics are just too hard on the eye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sound advice, thanks for that. Although I cant see myself downloading much more psone titles, graphics are just too hard on the eye!

Play some n65 titles instead so, smooth sailing.

N65? I think I'm in demension X, where goldeneye aged well.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Play some n65 titles instead so, smooth sailing.

Pardon my ignorance, but you'l have to explain what an n65 is to me. Some sort of N64 emulator?

Pardon my ignorance, but you'l have to explain what an n65 is to me. Some sort of N64 emulator?

Come on! The man in $5000 suit has to explain touchscreen keyboard mistakes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Come to bed eyes from my first encounter with Zelda on the N64.

23A8778F-9C2D-42EB-8AFF-87149C346C22-590-000000CF4097A5A1.jpg

• Advertisement

:O

Why are you playing it in 16:9!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

makes zelda tits much wider....

6a015431fc4e55970c017ee5e35b15970d-800wi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Why for the glorious cinematic 2.35:1 during the cutscenes of course :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Don't worry I dont play it in 16:9

I was just playin round with the picture settings at that point.

There's a game setting on the tv which seems to sort out the contrast a bit better forthe N64 that I didn't know about. The standard or vivid modes make it a bit too fuzzy.

Played Lylat wars for a bit after this and the game mode again really improved the lines. Looked a lot more crisp.

Also played top gear rally for the first time and wow that's a tough game handling wise after playin sega rally foe so long as my go to rally game.

Oh and played wcw v nwo for about 10 mins which really brought some memories of multiplayer drunken madness years back. Online gaming really ruined that for kids these days!

Master of the Universe

Stretches out Zelda's eyes to give them that 'come to bed' feeling :D

Been playing a lot of Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge lately. It uses the same engine and even some of the same enemies and sprites as the reviled Castlevania Adventure. It's really amazing what a few improvements and actual level design can do for a game because it's one of the best vania games I've ever played. The soundtrack is so good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

IMAG0720_zps55f397a9.jpg

Whats the deal with the pedo on your marquee?
    ha ha ha

Master of the Universe

First you get the money.
    Then you get the candy.
    Then you get the children?

(Too far??? :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

o1s1n wrote: »

(Too far??? :pac:)

Nope. Its a well know fact that those Howards and Bogards are a dirty lot!

• Advertisement

God Fire Emblem really is a sink hole for time.
    Was heading to bed last night and I noticed how forlorn the 'cube looked in the floor all hooked and no game to play. I thought to myself, 'lets try out fire emblem'. Two hours later and it's the wee hours of the morning and hey I'm still playing.
    Happened again tonight!

First time I've played a fire emblem but I'm not a complete novice, cut my teeth on Gladius.

Master of the Universe

Gave Sunset Riders on the Megadrive a go last night - it's really not very good at all is it?

I find the number of hookers in this game slightly disturbing. It's almost more a game about a cowboy sexing his way across the west. Into one brothel after a next. Some hookers even pay him, so does that mean he's in fact a man of the night himself?

They even have hookers in the bank :confused:

[IMG][/img]2013-05-30225306_zps4d8bc3b3.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

One of the perks of working from home, pop downstairs at lunchtime for some shmup action. 29" vert low res Raiden Fighters loveliness. :cool:

Mht4wsV.jpg

Master of the Universe

Beautiful :cool:

How are you finding Raiden Fighters?

Beautiful :cool:

How are you finding Raiden Fighters?

It's a great game. Looks lovely and the music is class. The difficulty curve to it is fair also.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, I'd love to pick it up :)

Is the PCB big? (It's one of those ones with a mobo and game cart mounted isn't it?)

I'm trying to stay away from larger pcbs. Have a hard time trying to fit Raiden and The Game Paradise into my cab!

Might actually have to get rid of The Game Paradise as I probably won't be using it much because of the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Fix it felix for Megadrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5OWQzL6JKE

Master of the Universe

Class! That'll be going on the Everdrive :)

Yeah, I'd love to pick it up :)

Is the PCB big? (It's one of those ones with a mobo and game cart mounted isn't it?)

I'm trying to stay away from larger pcbs. Have a hard time trying to fit Raiden and The Game Paradise into my cab!

Might actually have to get rid of The Game Paradise as I probably won't be using it much because of the hassle.

Nah it's on the small side actually, yeah cart is mounted on top, a good bit smaller than Raiden. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going to stick it on my Everdrive, see if it works.
    Looks brilliant though

Advertisement